Stef's Knee Deep in Atlanta, Georgia - Update 1/27

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Believe me...I can ramble with the best of them :)

Up next was The Wheeler Boys. The first piece of equipment brought on stage were turn tables. Nobody uses turn tables in country music. Zac introduced them as a blend of blues/hip-hop/rap. I didn't take any pictures, nor will I torture you with their music. The first song they played was not too bad, but then they laid it on us. Full on rap, with a lot of F-bombs dropped! Out of 21,000 people, 20,000 booed them off the stage. I felt bad for them. They are just a couple of guys trying to make it in a tough business. I also felt it was disrespecting Zac, as he was the one who put them on stage to give them a break. The last song they toned it down but were still met with quite a few boos.

Last but FAR from least, was Blackberry Smoke. I wasn't sure what to expect as I had never heard of them, and my ears were still bleeding from The Wheeler Boys performance. I was pleasantly surprised! These guys rocked! Zac introduced them as a throwback to Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Allman Brothers. He explained that country music has taken on a pop influence and rock has gotten harder, but these guys were bringing back good ol southern rock.

ZBBNewYears2011154.jpg

The lead singer had been standing behind me the whole time, as I had been checking him out. He looked and dressed like he had been ripped right out of the 70's. Trevor and I both knew their CD would be added to our collection. Love these guys!!!

I also have an interesting story that I will add at the end of this report.

Here is one of the songs they performed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_M1eM0izQI

After they exited the stage, the lights came up. We waited about 40 minutes for the main event while the drunk crowd got drunker, couples were fighting (alcohol induced) and some guy was thrown out by security. My back was killing me and I was more than tired of people pushing and shoving their way towards the front. Finally the lights dimmed and the sound of "Keep Me In Mind" started up.

At this point, they were behind a screen so you could only see their silhouettes. When that curtain dropped the roar of the crowd was palpable!

ZBBNewYears2011161.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011155.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011159.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011169.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011160.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011164.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011162.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011166.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011163.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011158.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011170.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011171.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011150.jpg

Devil Went Down To Georgia was the 3rd song that they played, and the noise level was through the roof! They were running all over the stage and playing their hearts out.

ZBBNewYears2011157.jpg

Just as Clay Cook was running from the runway back up to the main stage, I snapped this picture of the jumbo tron.

ZBBNewYears2011156.jpg

To say the concert was incredible would be an understatement! ZBB is one of the few concerts that I've seen that sounds almost identical to the recorded albums. If you're a fan and ever get an opportunity to see them, DO IT!!!

We left a few minutes before we thought it would be over as I wanted to hit the merchandise tables. Remember, when we arrived, the arena wasn't open and they weren't set up.

We walked back to the hotel among hundreds of people and made it safely back. I took a hot shower and climbed into bed. I would have loved to get a picture of our hotel view at night, but my camera battery had taken it's final breath.

One more post, and we'll call it a day, night, weekend!

Have I ever told you I hate Rap? I wouldn't have booed them either, seems a little low class to me. I probably wouldn't have applauded them though.

I will have to wait til I get home to listen to the videos but that will just add to your view count. :))

Oh doodle, the rap was bad! But, I agree with you, very tacky to boo someone that you know is only going to play a couple of songs. I just clapped calmly and looked at Trevor and said "wow, that sucked" :hah:

Please do look at the videos, especially Blackberry Smoke. I really liked these guys, and even more so when I got home......teaser!

Looks like a great concert!!

It was great Carol! I would have never looked twice at some of the openers had I not seen them live, and that's what Zac is all about.

His violinist said "Most people have a filter when they get an idea, they usually decide, NO, that won't work, Zac has no filter. He comes up with an idea and makes it happen!"

finally caught up.... whew!

The few songs of ZBB I have, I love.

I like a band that is down home humble.

You are too much. Love what you did to put him at ease... you softy you.

I am not crazy about concerts anymore.... it's the other people. The fighting and such.

Sorry to ramble Nicki! It was just that good. They are good folk.

Yes, people are idiots. For the life of me, I couldn't understand these people sucking back way overpriced drinks, after paying for a ticket and getting sloppy drunk. I'd be willing to bet, a lot of them will not even remember Zac taking the stage.

I was drinking for free, and only had one. I was not risking feeling bad, or missing one second!

Wow, Stef- Look how close to the stage you were! How cool is that! I am afraid to tell you that you are spoiled now- you will never be able to sit in the nosebleed seats again at a concert without wishing you were down on the floor.

TCD

I'm afraid you're right. There is something to be said for having a seat though. My back was killing me after standing for almost 14 hours straight, plus I had just started coming down with a cold. But it was all worth it in the end.

you pay a lot of $$ and don't even get a SEAT??

Big question I have is: Did you slip him a FF card when you met him?

Kathy says I would like their music so later I will take a look at youtube and see what I think.

Great report!

you pay a lot of $$ and don't even get a SEAT??

Big question I have is: Did you slip him a FF card when you met him?

Kathy says I would like their music so later I will take a look at youtube and see what I think.

Great report!

:hah: No seat Bob. Most people would kill to be where I was, but after all that time, my ass was looking for a landing.

Darn it, in my excitement, I forgot to slip him a FF card. :))

You probably would like their music, and Blackberry Smoke since you're the hippie type. hippie.gif

Looks and sounds like an awesome time Stef! Love the ZBB!

Thanks for reading along Lynn! Great time!!!

But no, the "damage" we had wasn't really damage, just normal wear and tear that happens in a hotel room.

:bugeyes: I will say nothing. :rofl2:

I just clapped calmly and looked at Trevor and said "wow, that sucked" :hah:

:rofl2: :rofl3:

Glad you had such a fun time at the concert Stef! What a great Christmas present!

I agree with you about Blackberry Smoke. As a giant Skynyrd fan (yes, believe it or not!) they are right up my alley! ;D

FortDecember2011304.jpg

People came up to me all night saying they loved it, and I watched each band member look at it and giggle (as they bent down to shake my hand)

Hey that's the one I wanted to buy Carrolynne but they said some crazy lady bought the last one.

Me: "This is a great thing you do, I'm thrilled to have this opportunity"

Zac: "I'm happy to have you. This is my favorite part of the show, just hanging out and meeting with the fans"

Me: taking a step closer to him "Well it's great to meet you, but I didn't just stand in line to meet you!"

I must talk to Genia to many times. I won't tell you where my mind was going.

:bugeyes: I will say nothing. :rofl2:

I agree with you about Blackberry Smoke. As a giant Skynyrd fan (yes, believe it or not!) they are right up my alley! ;D

Yes Kim, YUCK! There was a nice small leather couch in our room and even that grossed me out. I can only imagine what's happened on that couch.

YOU, A Skynryd fan? I would never have guessed that!!!! :worship:

Stay tuned, I have more on BBS!

Hey that's the one I wanted to buy Carrolynne but they said some crazy lady bought the last one.

I must talk to Genia to many times. I won't tell you where my mind was going.

:rofl2: Yep, I was that crazy lady! I love it and people get a kick out of it.

Genia is a bad influence!!

Bob's a hippie :rofl2: :rofl2:

I almost spit my coke out with that mental image

I meant "hippie" age-wise, not marijuana-wise! :hah:

Yeah I thought she was going to ask where the toilet was also.

No Bill, I took care of that before hand. I was so nervous in the beginning, I couldn't risk an accident. My "moment" with Zac would have turned out much differently.

Ok guys, the end is here!

Also included in our travel package was a new Years brunch at the hotel, sponsored by The Westin. Again, our original paperwork differed slightly from what we received when we checked in.

The brunch was to include breakfast, bloody marys and mimosas. It would begin at 10:00am. When we checked in we were given an apology letter stating that since New Years Day fell on a Sunday, no alcohol could be served, due to state law.

BOO!

We had also received a letter saying that due to the holiday and capacity of the hotel, to expect extra long waits for elevator service and valet service. Please be patient.

NOT my strong suit!

Trevor and I decided to forgo breakfast and get outta dodge before the madness began. We didn't want to leave at noon and still have a 6 hour ride home. We were exhausted.

I woke up at 5:15am, hair still wet from my shower a couple of hours earlier. I woke Trevor up, sucked down a cup of coffee and shoved our stuff in our bags. There was no wait for the elevator, no wait to pay the valet, and it took him about 10 minutes to retrieve my Jeep. Good call!

We stopped back at exit #3 in Macon and gassed up. Gas was $3.13 a gallon! We then went across the street to McDonalds for a breakfast on the go.

I settled in with my computer for the ride. I didn't take any road pics because it was still dark. ::)

I have had a Twitter account for a couple of years, and while I read it every day (who I follow) I hardly ever tweet anything myself. Of course, I follow the ZBB, so I tweeted "Great show last night, this shorty enjoyed meeting Massif" knowing that when he read it, he would know exactly where it came from.

I then see that Blackberry Smoke has a twitter, so I added them to my "following" list and tweeted "You guys rocked the Philips with the ZBB last night!"

Then I got on FF, until my battery ran low.

I did take one road picture for you. Yes, just one. :mellow:

ZBBNewYears2011172.jpg

Beautiful, huh? It didn't clear up until we got back into Florida. We arrived back home at 12:15.

After unpacking, and re-grouping, I went to bed early, as I had to get up at 3:30am for work.

When I got online the next morning, much to my surprise, BBS had retweeted my tweet and replied "Thank you!"

It was a great ending to an already super weekend!

I went to their website to look at their tour dates, as I would love to see a whole gig of theirs and guess what? They will be in Gainesville, at The Double Down Live on January 26th!! :jumpforjoy

45 minute drive for me, and tickets are $12 a person! We are seriously considering it, if I can recoup from now until then. It's on a Thursday night at 10:00pm. If they close the bar down at 2:00am, 45 minutes home, it's now almost 3:00am and I have to open the gym at 4:00am. I may have to pull an all nighter!

Thanks to all who followed along! It was super fun to share my excitement with you.

Happy New Year, and as Zac would say:

:heart: "Love, Peace & Chicken Grease!" :heart:

Great TR so glad you had a great time. The only problem I would have is staying in a hotel room. I have a hard time with them. But it was worth it. I don't think I have heard any of their music, thou I might have and don't know it. So you have to play some for me in Feb.,