A Trip Report Sure to Win Applesauce. . .TCD's NYE 2011 TR!

Yep.

That is how I roll.

The early bird gets the worm and all.

And you are right about the scary sights in the morning.

This is especially true on the partial hook-up loops, where folks don't have bathrooms to fix themselves up in before heading out.

Heck, I've seen some scary things coming out of my own camper.

Please don't mention this disclosure to Mrs. TCD if you should see her.

Thanks.

TCD

I will keep this our secret I just hope no one else is reading this!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're going to visit the Four Seasons, am I right??

YEA DAVE!!! WHERE?!?!?

This whole "spankula" thing...am I the only one reminded of the movie "Stripes", where Bill Murray gives the girl "The Aunt Jemimah Treatment"?

I've missed this report over the weekend!

I must get my picture taken in the mirror at the candy shop. Probably be the only time in my entire life that my legs look long.

Those Mickey/Minnie heads at $49.95 are a complete rip off! As you know from my reports, Trevor must get a plain head at the Main Street bakery every visit, and they are $12 and change. Two trips ago, they were out of plain ones and he had to settle for chocolate ear dipped ones, and it spoiled it for both of us. We both agreed plain is better. Just because they added a nose and some frosting doesn't make them worth $50!

I guess I have to buy that coffee mug to match my shirt!

I have not eaten at Wolfgangs either, but that meatloaf sandwich looks good, even though I'm not a big meat fan. Well, unless....never mind. I will hold that thought.

It looks like they had a good time without ol Dad. I'm sure they behaved themselves. They have a devious side, but seem to be very good girls.....like me!! ;)

Quick lock the twins in the house.......,,.NOW!!!!!!

IMG_8562.jpg

Reedy Creek

Interesting point about that Fire Station.

When Disney bought the land for Walt Disney World in the 1960's there was one hold-out - just one person who did not sell to Disney.

And they still live there. One little house in the middle of Walt Disney World.

Where is it? Why it's directly beside that Fire Station.

Behind the station is a parking lot and an athletic field beside the building, right behind that fire-hose fountain. Walk across the athletic field and peek through the trees on the far side. There's the house!

Sounds like a mission for Yuri to me! Can he get some pictures?

When Disney bought the land for Walt Disney World in the 1960's there was one hold-out - just one person who did not sell to Disney.

Behind the station is a parking lot and an athletic field beside the building, right behind that fire-hose fountain. Walk across the athletic field and peek through the trees on the far side. There's the house!

Actually, a couple of holdouts. The land where the Bonnet Creek Resort is now was the other holdout.

Well. there's a lot of stuff that happened that didn't get mentioned in the Bible.

Sometimes we have to fill in the blanks.

TCD

I'll make sure to add an RV to my Nativity scene next Christmas. I like to be accurate.

Perfect? ??? My ......... (never mind this is KFK rated). :wave1:

:wave1:

Those Mickey/Minnie heads at $49.95 are a complete rip off! As you know from my reports, Trevor must get a plain head at the Main Street bakery every visit, and they are $12 and change. Two trips ago, they were out of plain ones and he had to settle for chocolate ear dipped ones, and it spoiled it for both of us. We both agreed plain is better. Just because they added a nose and some frosting doesn't make them worth $50!

and all they did was mold the rice crispies in a shaped cake pan. I could make that for under 5 bucks. Hmmm maybe that could be a new career path... ;D

Love the rewind, and the other updates too!!! I'm glad the TCD twins are so well behaved. So was I at that age, never gave my parents one minute of grief.... Well, except for what KFM refers to as "The Dark Year" :rof2:

Thanks for the dock pictures, makes me sad to see it Bobless.

If I had a dollar for every bobber I lost to that tree I'd have about 4 bucks, wind catches them sometimes and sometimes........oh well

I'll make sure to add an RV to my Nativity scene next Christmas. I like to be accurate.

:wave1:

and all they did was mold the rice crispies in a shaped cake pan. I could make that for under 5 bucks. Hmmm maybe that could be a new career path... ;D

Love the rewind, and the other updates too!!! I'm glad the TCD twins are so well behaved. So was I at that age, never gave my parents one minute of grief.... Well, except for what KFM refers to as "The Dark Year" :rof2:

so you weren't sneaky but squeaky?

Just for you Gary....Tease-smiley.gif

The twins could learn thing or two from me, but probably better to wait until they're 18. :))

Great update Andrew! I only have one question....No comparison photo of sycamore tree with no leaves vs. sycamore tree with leaves? That's not like you!

Looking forward Scared of what you found happening in the 2000 loop. That can be a sketchy neighborhood sometimes.

Wow-

I have a lot to comment on here.

Specifically, I did a little bit of checking on the whole Reedy Creek thing, which I will get to in a separate post.

First- I need to respond to some of these comments:

Great updates! I think that the twins may have your gift when it comes to taking pictures for trip reports.

True. Twin #1 is already an excellent photographer. And both Twin 1 and 2 are on the Yearbook and Newspaper staffs at their school, and both have been published a number of times already. And, of course, the oldest TCD DD has written two articles this school year which ended up being published in the FSU Athletic Program. As I have said, despite my involvement, Mrs. TCD has done a great job raising the TCD girls.

You really need to watch that Doodling, Andrew. I have gotten myself into trouble more than once :)).

Still reading and still in South Dakota.

Ready for more. :popcorn:

Sorry for the delay in giving you some more.

I was waiting on some info from the TCD research department.

I have that now, and we will get moving forward again now!

1. I am clearly the best behaved as no one has any proof to claim otherwise...yet.

2. if you plan on breaking the rules at least color your canoe the correct color

3. What time did you say the Campfire sing a long started ? :rofl2:

4. I miss the Fort.....but love your pics of it.

1. I see that yet.

2. Yes- the right color is critical.

3. I think the campfire sing-a-long starts at 5. If you get there and nothing is happening, just wait, everyone will be along soon.

4. Thanks.

I will keep this our secret I just hope no one else is reading this!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. And it's a good thing nobody reads these trip reports.

Nah.

S70 and Trevor are good people.

I would let the TCD twins hang out with them anytime.

1. If you are going for complete accuracy, don't forget that little moustache on one of the wisemen.

2. How about you open a bakery on Site 617? The boys could sell lemonade. H could mix up drinks for the rest of us. Think about it.

3. The "Dark Year?" Now I really have to meet KFM!

Thanks for the dock pictures, makes me sad to see it Bobless.

If I had a dollar for every bobber I lost to that tree I'd have about 4 bucks, wind catches them sometimes and sometimes........oh well

So, about half the bobbers are from Bob.

That doesn't surprise me.

But I wonder who was dumb optomistic enough to lose all those others?

This whole post makes me laugh.

tnbob...bobless....bobber. It was a very-bob post. :rofl2:

I am 100% pro-Bob.

So there's nothing wrong with a very Bob post!

TCD

This whole Reedy Creek thing has captured my attention for a moment.

So I did a little digging in to this.

First, I wanted to see what I could find out about what Lou said here:

Nope, the 5 member Board of Supervisors are elected by the landowners of the RCID.

OK- that makes sense. But who are the landowners of the RCID?

Wasn't RCID formed by the Disney corporation to govern the operation of the land that it exclusively owned?

According to a possibly unreliable source, this is how things work:

A five-member Board of Supervisors governs the District, elected by the landowners of the District. These members, senior employees of The Walt Disney Company, each own undeveloped five-acre lots of land within the District, the only land in the District not technically controlled by Disney or used for public road purposes. The only residents of the District, also Disney employees or their immediate family members, live in two small communities, one in each city. In the 2000 census, Bay Lake had 23 residents, all in the community on the north shore of Bay Lake, and Lake Buena Vista had 16 residents, all in the community about a mile north of Downtown Disney. These residents elect the officials of the cities, but since they don't actually own any land, they don't have any power in electing the District Board of Supervisors.

So even though RCID is technically independent from the Disney Corporation, it still seems like Disney pulls all the strings.

Or is this information wrong?

Gary (or is this Carol?)-

Thank you for posting that information.

That is the type of stuff that I love to hear about.

How did you know about this? From your description, it sounds like you may have actually seen this house in person.

I wonder what the story is about the hold-out?

I wonder if the original hold-out is still alive (this was, after all, almost 50 years ago now)?

I wonder who lives there now, and what it has been like to live surrounded by WDW?

I think you're right. . .

This would be a perfect assignment for Yuri.

I personally am not looking forward to seeing him again. He is nothing but trouble. But if he does show up on one of my trips to the Fort, I'm going to tell him that those folks keep a cooler full of beer on the porch, and I'll turn him loose with my camera.

Here are photos of the house behind the Fire Station

OldHouse.jpg

OldHouse2.jpg

Very nice work, Todd.

After CDNCruiser posted that information, I did the same thing you apparently did- look for some more information about this.

It looks like you used Bing.

I went to the Orange County Property Appraiser's website. Which is a pretty awesome website I might add.

I started out by locating the Fire Station:

reedycreek3.jpg

And, then I looked at the map to see if I cold see a nearby parcel that was not owned by Disney. Sure enough, the little square to the north of the Fire Station Property is shown as being in private hands:

reedycreek.jpg

And, the property appraiser has this image of the residence on that property (there also appear to be a lot of barns or storage buildings):

reedycreek2.jpg

I never have heard about this little old house.

And it clearly is little and old.

I am sure there must be some more information somewhere about the owner of this property.

It is a story that I'm sure a lot of us would like to hear more about.

TCD

Great update Andrew! I only have one question....No comparison photo of sycamore tree with no leaves vs. sycamore tree with leaves? That's not like you!

Looking forward Scared of what you found happening in the 2000 loop. That can be a sketchy neighborhood sometimes.

You are right, S70.

That is not like me at all.

As a matter of fact, it was my effort to post an older photo of that sycamore tree that caused me to lose my previous post after I had spent about an hour preparing it.

It is hard to collect older photos and post them with newer ones.

But, I'm going to try.

Just for you!

So, here we go.

This is the mighty Meadow Trading Post sycamore tree in all of its glory last Spring:

101_0126.jpg

By the time October rolled around, you can see the leaves have begun to change just a bit:

IMG_1054.jpg

And, as we saw earlier on this thread, here's how things stood on December 30th:

IMG_2666.jpg

Then we have Bear Rock.

Here's how I like it best:

100_3268.jpg

And here's how it looked on December 30th:

IMG_2656.jpg

And, then there's the back porch of the Meadow Trading Post. In September:

100_3269.jpg

and in December:

IMG_2660.jpg

I also found it interesting to compare how things looked this December versus last December. In December 2010, we had record cold in central Florida. A lot of stuff was brown when I visited last New Year's Eve. This year, things looked not quite as brown.

Here's how the Meadow Trading Post looked from across the lake in December, 2010:

100_1461.jpg

And this is how things looked this year:

IMG_2645.jpg

The same was true throughout the Fort- it was almost like it was still spring.

OK.

I'm glad that's done.

I hope everything posts correctly in this post.

Because I don't want to have to try it again.

After this, we can finally get on our way over to the 2000 loop.

TCD

Very nice! I like the comparison photos. Even though I'm there to see the changes, sometimes, "things" cause me not to notice the little stuff. I know I can always count on you, though!

Thanks! :heartsmiley:

Gary (or is this Carol?)-

Thank you for posting that information.

That is the type of stuff that I love to hear about.

How did you know about this?

TCD

Hi TCD, (It's Gary)

Carol and I have visited that field several times to support a friend, and cancer survivor, who participates in an annual fund-raising walk at the track. We peeked through the fence at the house but didn't take a picture.

It's the site of the "Relay For Life of Lake Buena Vista" which raises money for the American Cancer Society. The annual fund-raiser is very well supported by Disney Cast Members and many Disney departments. You can find details here: http://main.acsevent...try&fr_id=37480