A Trip Report Sure to Win Applesauce. . .TCD's NYE 2011 TR!

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're going to visit the Four Seasons, am I right??

YEA DAVE!!! WHERE?!?!?

This whole "spankula" thing...am I the only one reminded of the movie "Stripes", where Bill Murray gives the girl "The Aunt Jemimah Treatment"?

IF? I think ti's time for you to come out of denial.... I was perfect... just ask my momma. Stay way from those who claimed to be my friends....
anyone near stef... please take a step or two back.... just saying :rofl2:

I'm seeing a pattern here.... :clint:

In my family you would be call a instinkgator. :flush2:

And I spelled that one right, well right for my family. :rofl2:

I'm seeing a pattern here.... :clint:

In my family you would be call a instinkgator. :flush2:

And I spelled that one right, well right for my family. :rofl2:

if an instinkgator is someone who didn't come home drunk ever, consistently flies under the Trouble Radar, who would never take the kids TP rolling while babysitting....

if an instinkgator is someone who didn't come home drunk ever, consistently flies under the Trouble Radar, who would never take the kids TP rolling while babysitting....

Nope, in my family that is called being the black sheep. :hah:

Nope, in my family that is called being the black sheep. :hah:

that was the beauty of it... I was considered to be a good girl. Just ask any adult around at the time. Cause other than the TP rolling, there is no proof.... :rofl2:

I'm sneaky.... err was sneak. Now I'm just semi snarky

Edited by Nicki aka Rebelstand

OK, time to move on.

I won't comment on the debate between Nicki and Genia about who was a better behaved young lady.

I'm sure they were both little angels.

Now, to address a couple of other comments before we move on:

I've missed this report over the weekend!

I must get my picture taken in the mirror at the candy shop. Probably be the only time in my entire life that my legs look long.

Those Mickey/Minnie heads at $49.95 are a complete rip off! As you know from my reports, Trevor must get a plain head at the Main Street bakery every visit, and they are $12 and change. Two trips ago, they were out of plain ones and he had to settle for chocolate ear dipped ones, and it spoiled it for both of us. We both agreed plain is better. Just because they added a nose and some frosting doesn't make them worth $50!

I guess I have to buy that coffee mug to match my shirt!

I have not eaten at Wolfgangs either, but that meatloaf sandwich looks good, even though I'm not a big meat fan. Well, unless....never mind. I will hold that thought.

It looks like they had a good time without ol Dad. I'm sure they behaved themselves. They have a devious side, but seem to be very good girls.....like me!! ;)

I knew Trevor liked those big rice crispy treats. You are right, they are nuts to charge 50 bucks for just a little icing and decorations. Plus, Rice Crispy treats are very easy to make on your own, so no way am I ever paying 50 bucks for one- I don't care how nice it looks.

You definitely need one of those Yoda mugs to go with your shirt!

I bet that Wolfgang Pucks has plenty of non-meat dishes. I am surprised that a pulled pork expert like yourself does not like meat.

You are right, the twins are good girls, but I still watch them like a hawk. I am not too old to remember that the "good" ones are the ones that you really need to keep an eye on.

Thanks for the update, Andrew. I am reading it in South Dakota. I love Wolgang Puck Express.

The pictures that the twins took were awesome. It looks like they had a good time and did their dear old dad proud!!

South Dakota!

Wow, what a trip!

Hang in there, I'm about to put up another post to keep you entertained.

TCD

One more thing...are you in hiding? :ph34r:

The beauty of this board is even when you're looking as a guest, hovering over your name shows exactly where you are.

You can run, but you can't hide!

I didn't say I didn't eat meat, just that I could live without it. Not my boys though, and that's why I'm a pulled pork expert. ;)

I'm kind of late, here, but I just wanted to chime in on David Crockett. Being into true history, I started researching him and Daniel Boone. I must say, I was disillusioned and eventually quit before all my boyhood heroes were lost forever. I could get into it, but it is too depressing unless anybody is really interested.

:popcorn:

Hey- I'm glad to see you here Bob, we are about to go and look around your neck of the woods at the Fort.

The beauty of this board is even when you're looking as a guest, hovering over your name shows exactly where you are.

I didn't say I didn't eat meat, just that I could live without it. Not my boys though, and that's why I'm a pulled pork expert. ;)

No, I'm not hiding.

I was logged in and typing an update, until I accidentally screwed up and posted a photo in the wrong spot of the report. When I went to fix it, I hit backspace too many times, and my whole update vanished. I hate it when that happens! As soon as I finish with this comment, I will start again.

I'm kind of late, here, but I just wanted to chime in on David Crockett. Being into true history, I started researching him and Daniel Boone. I must say, I was disillusioned and eventually quit before all my boyhood heroes were lost forever. I could get into it, but it is too depressing unless anybody is really interested.

I did the same thing after looking at all of the stuff on display and the discussion we had here.

I think what you found could probably be said about a lot of our American heroes.

For example,Thomas Jefferson has some pretty big skeletons in his closet.

By no means do I condone what these men did, but we all have to admit that times were very different then. I think DIT said it is unfair to judge historical figures by today's standards.

I am still going to locate a copy of Disney's version of Davy Crockett.

TCD

DIT? lol...whatever. Either way, I approve of that meatloaf sandwich. It looks awesome! Until about a year ago, we had a Wolfgang Puck Express right here in my hometown, and INC and I always loved their food. It was fairly reasonably priced for what you got too. But now it's gone.

I say let's leave poor Davy Crockett alone. He was the king of the wild frontier afterall. Now that Daniel Boone...he was a sonofabiotch.

Cyber Stalking again? :bugeyes:

This Reedy Creek Fire Department building sits right across from Downtown Disney. I love the fact that even the fire stations are cool at WDW:

IMG_8562.jpg

Yes they are very cool looking.

A misconception is that Disney owns, operates the fire stations, and that the Firefighters/EMTs are Disney CMs, they're not. They're employed and paid by the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

The two entities, RCID and WDW, are completely separate. RCID is almost like any other town or city in Florida. It was created by the state of Florida and actually is a government agency. Disney is by far the largest landowner and taxpayer in the RCID, but not the only one.

As a courtesy Disney does extend certain benefits that WDW CMs get to some RCID employees.

Old Danl was born nearby in Birdsboro PA. I have visited the boyhood home. Basically, he was a bum who would do anything to avoid getting a job, not unlike many of our youth today.

OK, let's try this again.

I had a nice long update ready to go, and then I Doodled it by pushing a wrong button.

I hate that.

So, we are done with the re-wind, and now we are back to Friday morning, December 30th.

We were just looking at all of the great decorations around the Settlement and a questionable wise man.

Now it's time to move on.

I needed to go get a photo of something that I always get a photo of.

Can anyone guess where we are going ?

Did anyone guess the 600 loop?

If so, you are right!

In fact, here we are at good old site 617.

The best site in all of the Fort:

IMG_2639.jpg

Here's another view. . .

If you love traffic and buses, golf carts and all other kinds of vehicles zooming by 5 feet behind your site, this is the site for you:

IMG_2640.jpg

If you fear being lonely at the Fort, request this site. You can sit right here under your awning, and there will be folks walking right past you all day and night:

IMG_2642.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

I never get tired of admiring that site.

But, for now we will move on over to the bridge to which that the sidewalk we were just looking at leads.

And here we are on that bridge, looking down the canal with the 600 loop on our left, and the 1400 loop on our right:

IMG_2644.jpg

Now we are across the bridge and looking back toward the Meadow Trading Post:

IMG_2645.jpg

From here, I looked over toward the 1400 loop for no particular reason and something over there caught my eye:

IMG_2646.jpg

It is right here hidden behind this bush:

IMG_2647.jpg

Do you see it now?

How about now? :

IMG_2648.jpg

These folks brought their own canoe and paddles.

What makes this particularly smart is that their canoe is green, just like the Fort rental canoes.

They could put their canoe in the canal and paddle around all day and no one was the wiser.

This move earned these campers a TCD Real Man of Genius Award.

Congratulations to them!

And they were not the only winners on this trip.

There were geniuses everywhere.

Just you wait.

In fact, this guy rode by on his bike just as I was standing here looking at the canoe. He was juggling three mugs of coffee. I missed the money shot, but you can kind of see what he is doing here:

IMG_2649.jpg

Three mugs on a bike is impressive.

Impressive enough to warrant a mention in a TCD trip report.

But not impressive enough for a TCDRMOG award.

I've seen better.

But, still this guy had skills.

While I was here, I decided to go check out the movie schedule they post over on the projection building.

Our activity guide for New Year's Eve did not list the campfire or movie, and we all got to wondering if maybe they weren't going to have a movie that night.

I didn't think that they wouldn't show a movie, but you never know these days.

Here's the movie board:

IMG_2651.jpg

New Year's Eve was Saturday night this week.

So the movie will be The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Really?

Who wants to see that?

I wonder if anyone will show?

We actually stopped by the movie briefly Saturday night.

I'll let you know what we saw when we get to that part of the report.

And while we are on the subject, I would like to register my complaint about the use of hand written movie titles instead of the printed ones.

Come on.

Let's get with it people!

A common question from newbies is what time is the campfire and movie. This little blackboard tells us:

IMG_2652.jpg

Those times are valid for every day of the year when Daylight Savings Time is not in effect.

When we observe Daylight Savings Time add and hour.

That's all you need to know.

Make note of how the movie screen and seats are reflected in that photo. I think that's pretty cool.

As I headed back across the bridge, I paused for a moment to look across the lake:

IMG_2653.jpg

That view used to be a lot nicer.

Until they put in all of those campsites over there.

Boo!

From here, we are heading over to the Meadow Trading Post.

The back porch of the Meadow Trading Post is one of my favorite places to hang out at the Fort.

Here we are:

IMG_2654.jpg

The view of this shoreline used to be nicer without all the trailers you see in this photo:

IMG_2655.jpg

Last month, Bear Rock was swimming in the lake the way God created it.

Today, he was high and dry again:

IMG_2656.jpg

Here's TnBob's dock. Note that someone moved the picnic table over to the side where Bob likes to fish. Bob isn't going to like that:

IMG_2657.jpg

This is what Bob sees when he is out on that dock feeding the fish his bait:

IMG_2658.jpg

And this is the view from the dock looking back toward the Meadow Trading Post:

IMG_2659.jpg

Here's looking back at the Trading Post from a bit down the shoreline:

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

Here we are along the lake, just about directly across from the Bike Barn.

There's a tree here that eats fishing bobbers.

It's kind of like that tree from Charlie Brown that ate kites.

But this one eats fishing bobbers.

Look:

IMG_2663.jpg

Do you see them all?

How about now? :

IMG_2664.jpg

If you still don't see them, look at the lowest branch hanging down and follow it up. There are six bobbers right here. There is a green one up toward the top center of the photo, and some more over to the top left. You would think that folks fishing here would see that and decide to cast their lines somewhere else. But I guess they all think the tree won't eat their bobbers. Don't trust that tree!

Here we are over on the other side of the trading post looking at the great big sycamore tree that we always look at. You can see that despite the warm weather, winter has arrived at the Fort. The tree has dropped almost all of its leaves:

IMG_2666.jpg

Now we have walked around to the front of the Trading Post. I love the openess of this area and the moss covered trees:

IMG_2667.jpg

I sat in one of those rocking chairs and rocked a spell. The Christmas music that they play at the trading posts and around the Settlement was still playing this week. I really liked sitting here listening to that soothing music and hearing birds chirp:

IMG_2668.jpg

A lot of people probably don't realize that the side walk used to continue on from here through to the 800 loop:

IMG_2669.jpg

When they built the 600 loop extension, they ripped up the sidewalk. You can see that this area is still just a bit elevated. The Fort Wilderness Rail Road used to travel down this path.

From here, I decided that I ought to go check on the folks in the 2000 loop.

There is always something interesting to see there.

As expected, I did find something interesting there.

I'll share that with you next.

TCD

I love how when you get up and out early at the Fort it always seem that you have the place all to your self. I always walk early in the morning when we are there it's the best time of the day, even if you see some scary sights on the way to the comfort stations!!!!!!!!!!!

DIT? lol...whatever. Either way, I approve of that meatloaf sandwich. It looks awesome! Until about a year ago, we had a Wolfgang Puck Express right here in my hometown, and INC and I always loved their food. It was fairly reasonably priced for what you got too. But now it's gone.

I say let's leave poor Davy Crockett alone. He was the king of the wild frontier afterall. Now that Daniel Boone...he was a sonofabiotch.

I still have yet to try Wolfgang Puck Express. I don't think there are any closer to me than the one at WDW, so I will have to wait until my next trip. I didn't know that there were a lot of these.

Here is the TV Series all together on DVD

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c60b5ef93

Here is the two movie set on DVD

http://www.ebay.com/...id=p3286.c0.m14

Boy- the movies are cheap.

Are the movies compilations of the TV shows?

I thought that I read somewhere that they were.

Yes they are very cool looking.

A misconception is that Disney owns, operates the fire stations, and that the Firefighters/EMTs are Disney CMs, they're not. They're employed and paid by the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

The two entities, RCID and WDW, are completely separate. RCID is almost like any other town or city in Florida. It was created by the state of Florida and actually is a government agency. Disney is by far the largest landowner and taxpayer in the RCID, but not the only one.

As a courtesy Disney does extend certain benefits that WDW CMs get to some RCID employees.

Put me down as one who believed that common misconception.

I thought Disney owned Reedy Creek.

Aren't all the commissioners appointed by Disney?

Old Danl was born nearby in Birdsboro PA. I have visited the boyhood home. Basically, he was a bum who would do anything to avoid getting a job, not unlike many of our youth today.

I didn't know Dan'l was from PA.

As I mentioned, this is an era of history that I somehow have not heard much about.

They kind of glossed over the whole thing in school.

TCD

I love how when you get up and out early at the Fort it always seem that you have the place all to your self. I always walk early in the morning when we are there it's the best time of the day, even if you see some scary sights on the way to the comfort stations!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep.

That is how I roll.

The early bird gets the worm and all.

And you are right about the scary sights in the morning.

This is especially true on the partial hook-up loops, where folks don't have bathrooms to fix themselves up in before heading out.

Heck, I've seen some scary things coming out of my own camper.

Please don't mention this disclosure to Mrs. TCD if you should see her.

Thanks.

TCD