A Trip Report Sure to Win Applesauce. . .TCD's NYE 2011 TR!

Awesome update, Andrew. Still in Illinois almost to Chicago. Traffic is starting to get a little heavy. I could really use another update to keep my mind off of it. :)

Actually I would like to hear all about Sea World.

Just shut your eyes and drive real fast. That's what the people that live there do. :))
  • Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're going to visit the Four Seasons, am I right??

YEA DAVE!!! WHERE?!?!?

This whole "spankula" thing...am I the only one reminded of the movie "Stripes", where Bill Murray gives the girl "The Aunt Jemimah Treatment"?

I never saw Chris during the 4th of July GG last year, so it's quite posible that he does not exist.

Jen had some lame excuse about him "getting too much sun" while golfing.

She didn't seem very happy about what I'm assuming could have been a heat stroke. :rofl2:

Apparently on cloudy days, sun comes in red solo cups... :beer:

Sunshine...yummy!!!!!

Hey Bill- Thanks for that info. I was trying to remember if this is the day you left. I am going to mention how I was stalking you. I thought it was Saturday morning, but now I'm thinking it may have been Friday. Since we are already past Friday morning, I'm going to say it was Saturday.

I wonder what was going on with animal control at this site? I really have never seen animal control at the Fort before.

I would have wondered down to see what was going on, but after my run in with the underage ranger, I was wondering how many blades of grass that guy parked on. When the ambulance arrived, I promptly grabbed a beer figuring the drunker I was the less pain I would feel when the came to my site and enforced their parking regulations with night sticks and tasers.

BTW did you ever find the recording of the banjo playing jingle bells that we heard at the Meadows?

Just shut your eyes and drive real fast. That's what the people that live there do. :))

It actually went pretty smooth. Gary. There was a lot of traffic but it kept moving. Anytime I'm not sitting on I80 in the Chicago/Gary,IN area, I count as a success!!

Thanks!

I'm glad that you are reading along.

Donald and Scrooge?

Scrooge?

On Christmas Eve?

Who the heck thought it was a good idea to have Scrooge visit on Christmas Eve?

I'm sorry that you rushed back to the Fort for that.

Thanks for letting me know, though.

Do you have any info on who won the site decorating contest?

TCD

Yeah, Donald and Scrooge. It sucked. Big time.

Here's what I learned about the site decorating contest. Had to ask around as it was not mentioned while we were at the Fort. I asked on the "I Love Camping At Fort Disney's Fort Wilderness" Facebook page who won. I was eventually told that site 1206 came in second and "the 1600 loop contestant won 1st place".

Wonder what's with all the secrecy? Is it a conspiracy theory???

OK- that makes sense. But who are the landowners of the RCID?

I think you answered your own question

Wasn't RCID formed by the Disney corporation to govern the operation of the land that it exclusively owned?

It was proposed and submitted by Disney, but it had to be passed by the Florida legislature.

So even though RCID is technically independent from the Disney Corporation, it still seems like Disney pulls all the strings.

By Florida law it's independent. As far as I can tell, RCID is a government agency established by the state of Florida. Disney can't just wave a magic wand and do anything they want. There is a system in place to make whatever happen but it is has to meet Florida laws and regulations.

I think of RCID as a city that is looking out for it's own self interests and the interests of the businesses and people working and living there. The main business just happens to be a big amusement park called WDW.

And of course the board is stacked with Disney people, they live there and work there, I would expect that?

Did we really think that Disney was going to risk everything to some out of town yahoos that don't have any interest in seeing WDW succeed?

Whatever the system is, it seems to have worked well for 40 years.

I have been thoroughly distracted while attmepting to catch up. Apparently, these miniature humans who live in my house think they need to eat and have diaper changes, the youngest of which does NOT like squash and whill shriek to high heaven if one attempts to place any in his mouth.

I didn't take notes, so let's see what all I remember...

1. Good job on watching Star Wars in order of IV-VI, I-III. Definitely the way to watch them. That's my only issue with how they're going to release them in 3D. They're going to do it I-VI. I understand why, I guess, but it's not nearly as cool. What's the point of Yoda acting crazy like he doesn't know who Luke is if we already know. Completely takes the coolness effect out of it.

2. Nice to see that the TCD twins stayed out of trouble during their solo adventures. Mrs. TCD did do a wonderful job. Loved the picture of them waking up.

3. Interesting about the house in the middle of Disney property. Kinda reminds me of the song "Daddy Won't Sell the Farm"...except that it's not a farm, and it's not a mall moving in. On second thought...

4. I do like the firestation, too.

5. Oh, yeah! How could I forget! So, I was thinking that $10 was a bit much for one of those apples. Almost had a heartattack when I saw the $50 rice crispie treats. Do you have any idea how many of those I could make with $50 worth of rice krispies and marshmallows? Me, either. I'm sure it'd be a lot, though. Plus, I could use my Mickey cake pan or my Pooh one. The Pooh one would be pretty stinkin' huge.

I don't read them, I just look at the pretty pictures.

Thanks for the heads up, hadn't noticed.

But my walker has a racing stripe on it.

Ok.. gotacha... really... hmmmm... convince me....maybe.. sorta...

Sweet! Nothing better to decorate a walker than a racing stripes. I'll be on the look out for that next November... when you smell the pie from the top of loop 300.

Don't be surprised to see ole Melvin pop up again in the future. I hear he plans on doing some traveling this May.

Really? Will he be traveling to the Fort? Of just to Stoned Mountain?

Dame you TCD you took the works right out of my mouth

Todd, I am always amazed at how well Rudy can type. His spelling ain't so great, but I usually can figure out what he's trying to say.

I was starting to wonder whether Doodle actually took this advice, and then began to think she did, and that is why she stopped posting, but then we heard from her again below.

I never saw Chris during the 4th of July GG last year, so it's quite posible that he does not exist.

Jen had some lame excuse about him "getting too much sun" while golfing.

She didn't seem very happy about what I'm assuming could have been a heat stroke. :rofl2:

Apparently on cloudy days, sun comes in red solo cups... :beer:

Sunshine...yummy!!!!!

Yes, that liquid sunshine in the Red Solo Cups can sneak up on you!

I would have wondered down to see what was going on, but after my run in with the underage ranger, I was wondering how many blades of grass that guy parked on. When the ambulance arrived, I promptly grabbed a beer figuring the drunker I was the less pain I would feel when the came to my site and enforced their parking regulations with night sticks and tasers.

BTW did you ever find the recording of the banjo playing jingle bells that we heard at the Meadows?

Well, I guess whatever happened to that trailer will remain an unsolved mystery.

As a matter of fact, I did take the TCD twins over to the Meadow Trading Post with their fancy phones to see if their Shazam App. could tell me the name and artist of some of the songs playing. The phones were stumped. Go figure. But, I did make a short video with the music recorded on Saturday morning. I am going to post that when we get to that part of the report. I am hoping that a bright Fiend will be able to identify the music for me.

It actually went pretty smooth. Gary. There was a lot of traffic but it kept moving. Anytime I'm not sitting on I80 in the Chicago/Gary,IN area, I count as a success!!

Good to know, Doodle.

I have to catch up on your thread, but I hope that you are reading this post from home.

Yeah, Donald and Scrooge. It sucked. Big time.

Here's what I learned about the site decorating contest. Had to ask around as it was not mentioned while we were at the Fort. I asked on the "I Love Camping At Fort Disney's Fort Wilderness" Facebook page who won. I was eventually told that site 1206 came in second and "the 1600 loop contestant won 1st place".

Wonder what's with all the secrecy? Is it a conspiracy theory???

It was the same way at Halloween. They make a big deal about the contest, and then good luck trying to figure out who won. That was the case for both the golf cart parade and the site decorating contest. I am not surprised that the overachievers on 1600 won- their site was spectacular, again. I think I have a photo of the site on the 1200 loop that came in second. But I wonder who came in third? Thanks for the information, you are the first person of the many I have asked who knew anything.

TCD

By Florida law it's independent. As far as I can tell, RCID is a government agency established by the state of Florida. Disney can't just wave a magic wand and do anything they want. There is a system in place to make whatever happen but it is has to meet Florida laws and regulations.

I think of RCID as a city that is looking out for it's own self interests and the interests of the businesses and people working and living there. The main business just happens to be a big amusement park called WDW.

And of course the board is stacked with Disney people, they live there and work there, I would expect that?

Did we really think that Disney was going to risk everything to some out of town yahoos that don't have any interest in seeing WDW succeed?

Whatever the system is, it seems to have worked well for 40 years.

Very good points, Lou.

You are by far the smartest bus driver I know.

I will not mention the fact that you are the only bus driver I know.

I didn't think I was interested in the details of how this was all put together, but it turns out that now I am. None of what we see at WDW would have happened if Walt and his crew did not have the foresight to set up the Reedy Creek structure. That was a real stroke of brilliance, and I agree, it has worked very well for the past 40 years, and there is no reason to suspect that it will not work well way on into the future.

http://www.amazon.co...26238387&sr=8-1

This book talks all about the land acquisition for WDW and creation of RCID.

I was going to make a snarky comment along the lines of who needs books when we have fortfiends.net, but after clicking on that link, I think I may buy that book. It sounds like it focuses on the exact issue that we are talking about here. I would not be surprised if our guy in the little house by the fire station gets a mention in the book.

One thing that I did not think about is that Walt was very involved in this stage of the creation of Walt Disney World. What came later never would have but for that fact.

Yet more proof that Walt and the people he entrusted were geniuses.

No joke. Stop and think what they accomplished. It has never been done before, and I cannot see anything of this scale ever happening again.

The business part was mostly Roy's doing. He doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves.

True. When construction time came around, those guys worked miracles.

I have been thoroughly distracted while attmepting to catch up. Apparently, these miniature humans who live in my house think they need to eat and have diaper changes, the youngest of which does NOT like squash and whill shriek to high heaven if one attempts to place any in his mouth.

I didn't take notes, so let's see what all I remember...

1. Good job on watching Star Wars in order of IV-VI, I-III. Definitely the way to watch them. That's my only issue with how they're going to release them in 3D. They're going to do it I-VI. I understand why, I guess, but it's not nearly as cool. What's the point of Yoda acting crazy like he doesn't know who Luke is if we already know. Completely takes the coolness effect out of it.

2. Nice to see that the TCD twins stayed out of trouble during their solo adventures. Mrs. TCD did do a wonderful job. Loved the picture of them waking up.

3. Interesting about the house in the middle of Disney property. Kinda reminds me of the song "Daddy Won't Sell the Farm"...except that it's not a farm, and it's not a mall moving in. On second thought...

4. I do like the firestation, too.

5. Oh, yeah! How could I forget! So, I was thinking that $10 was a bit much for one of those apples. Almost had a heartattack when I saw the $50 rice crispie treats. Do you have any idea how many of those I could make with $50 worth of rice krispies and marshmallows? Me, either. I'm sure it'd be a lot, though. Plus, I could use my Mickey cake pan or my Pooh one. The Pooh one would be pretty stinkin' huge.

Thanks for checking in. I remember when we had little humans running around our house. I'm sure you have already heard this a hundred times, but enjoy every minute of it, it goes much faster than you can even imagine. And, if the little dude is spitting back the squash, let it go. He'll be fine, and you'll have one less mess to clean. And really, who likes squash anyway?

I am glad to hear that someone named Yodagirl agrees with our Star Wars watching plan. As I mentioned, we just got done with Episode IV, so we haven't seen Yoda yet, but I think he's in the next one.

Thanks for checking in, I hope you can find time to read the rest.

Nice pictures Todd!

Yes, those were nice photos!

Did Rudy take them?

While we're hijacking TCD's TR that I'm not reading, here's something you may not have seen.

You've all seen the two RCID fire stations on BVD Blvd, but how many of you have seen this architectural masterpiece, the third station? Where is it located?

Reedy_Creek_Station_3_2011.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing that before. I was going to guess Celebration, but as far as I can tell from checking on this, Celebration is no longer under the jurisdiction of Reedy Creek. That is a really nice looking fire station. I'm sure Google could tell me where it is. Google has already shown me photos of four RCID fire stations, including this one. I think I have only seen two. Lou, where are they all?

I believe that would be the "new" Reedy Creek Station 3. Is on Floridian Drive? It's something like that, if I recall.

Kinda fancy for a fire station, isn't it? The again, it's Disney...what isn't a little fancier than it has to be?

Agreed that is a fancy fire station.

Now that you mention it, it is true that even mundane things at Disney are fancy.

The new kennel for example, is a pretty cool looking facility.

Yup, that's the one!

Thanks.

Good to know.

My DD's participated in one of those relays at their school last year. They were on the team of a girl whose mom had breast cancer. From everything I heard, this is a great event and for a very good cause.

Thanks for those.

I now know a lot more about RCID than I did when I innocently posted that photo of the fire station.

Gotta love the Fiends!

TCD