A Trip Report Sure to Win Applesauce. . .TCD's NYE 2011 TR!

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're going to visit the Four Seasons, am I right??

YEA DAVE!!! WHERE?!?!?

This whole "spankula" thing...am I the only one reminded of the movie "Stripes", where Bill Murray gives the girl "The Aunt Jemimah Treatment"?

TCD...here's what works for me, as DD7 and DD9 love "shaped" pancakes.

Those are not molds for the pancakes, they're cutters! (at least at our house)

Make bigger round pancakes, and cut the shapes out after they are done. Works every time.

Oh...and at our house, daddy's breakfast (that would be mine) consists of the pancake "scraps" cut off during the all-important shaping...

Make bigger round pancakes, and cut the shapes out after they are done. Works every time.

Oh...and at our house, daddy's breakfast (that would be mine) consists of the pancake "scraps" cut off during the all-important shaping...

It sounds like your girls have one very smart Daddy!

Not sure where to start

1. In TCD's defense - I, often, share an inability to follow/read directions correctly until after the fail. This is why my hubby cooks.

2. Tell Twin #2 she's in good company. I've been known to do that a time or two.

3. Some might rather win the applesauce than the applause

4. I will NEVER be able to read the word spatula again.. I will always see spankula instead

5. Something really is wrong with Snow-Ho.... she's never been my favorite princess.

6. 4Brians is on to something with his idea of cookie cutters

7. Not going anywhere near the pulled pork comments. For once, I will join KFK in refraining.

8. going off to check the rest of the spankulas now....

OK, a few more comments to catch up on, and then this thing is going to get moving again.

Two comments on those comments.

First, I LOL'd at your idea #4, above.

Second, good job on getting the RV for your Nativity scene!

KFK- You made me LOL twice today!

After having grown up with 4 sisters, and now being the only male in my house, all I can say is Amen to that!

TCD

LOL'ed twice in one day? My work here is done.

Poor twin #2. I feel her pain. In fact I do that all the time. I even did it reading the update following the pulled pork update, but I'll keep that one to myself.

Who knew there were so many spankulas? Vader Spankula? I can't imagine a good "WHACK" from the dark side of the force.

It would have made for an interesting twist to the movies. Vader would have been a more complex character if, rather than striking Obi Wan down with his light saber, he had simply whacked him with a spankula and sent him back into exile.

:faceplant2:

:laugh:

Directions...who needs'em! I mucked around with a set of walkie-talkies for our trip (I leave for the Fort in a few hours, be there by 4pm today!). I tried all week to get these stupid things to charge. I found the directions last night, unbeknownst to me, I had been using them as a coaster all week at my desk. I did it the right way last night, and now I have plenty of power to aggrevate the crap out of the listener on the other end (you know you have to use CB slang, or it just isn't as fun!). Think of the three kings, they had no directions, just followed a star. Ever try that? You can get even more lost, or hit a tree..always looking up. They eventually got there, took almost two weeks, but now we have that song about the 12 days of Christmas. See..it all works out.

Oh man, there is a fourth station. I guess, out of sight out of mind. And I go by it, or at least where it's located all the time.

I totally forgot about that one. I've even had to wait at the McDonalds/All-Stars intersection to allow the fire trucks to get out, duh.

As you can see by the photo, it's pretty ordinary looking when compared to the others.

It services the AK Resort Area and is tucked away behind the McDonalds near the All-Stars Resort.

There is nothing to see from the road though. To see it, you'll have take the road as if you're going to McDonalds, but go past it. You still won't see much, not that there is much to see, unless you follow that road. It's really out of the way, but it's there.

Don't feel bad- I always thought there were just two fire stations. Four seems like a lot. I have been to that McDonalds many times, and have never noticed the fire station. You can see from the drive through that something is hidden behind the landscaping, but I always thought it was just an employee parking lot, as I often see castmembers in costumes coming and going from back there- I think they work at the All Stars.

I still don't know where that white stucco fire station you posted a photo of is. Is it behind the MK? If so, that explains why I have never seen it, but it does not explain why it is so fancy, instead of more utilitarian, like the one behind the McDonald's.

Got a kick out of the title exlpanation she will never live that one down :rofl2: also spry the molds before you add the batter every time,mywife does that when she uses molds like to make pancakes it will help.

Man, everybody knows that you are supposed to spray pancake molds except me.

There was a labor protest at Disneyland back in 2008 over healthcare benefits for hotel workers. And there were quite a few freaks idiots costumed protesters arrested.

Thanks for posting those photos, Dave.

That is some pretty funny stuff.

Whoever organized that protest did a good job.

Well, that is a great idea.

I'll give it a try if the spraying doesn't work.

Not sure where to start

1. In TCD's defense - I, often, share an inability to follow/read directions correctly until after the fail. This is why my hubby cooks.

2. Tell Twin #2 she's in good company. I've been known to do that a time or two.

3. Some might rather win the applesauce than the applause

4. I will NEVER be able to read the word spatula again.. I will always see spankula instead

5. Something really is wrong with Snow-Ho.... she's never been my favorite princess.

6. 4Brians is on to something with his idea of cookie cutters

7. Not going anywhere near the pulled pork comments. For once, I will join KFK in refraining.

8. going off to check the rest of the spankulas now....

Great comments!

I wonder if Williams Sonoma is going to have a run on spankulas?

LOL'ed twice in one day? My work here is done.

Poor twin #2. I feel her pain. In fact I do that all the time. I even did it reading the update following the pulled pork update, but I'll keep that one to myself.

Who knew there were so many spankulas? Vader Spankula? I can't imagine a good "WHACK" from the dark side of the force.

OK, that's one LOL for today.

One more, and your work will be done again.

It would have made for an interesting twist to the movies. Vader would have been a more complex character if, rather than striking Obi Wan down with his light saber, he had simply whacked him with a spankula and sent him back into exile.

Although I am still a Star Wars newbie, I think it's interesting that the only Star Wars spankulas are Darth and a Storm Trooper.

I'll bet if they made a Princess Leia one, it would outsell that stupid Snow White by far.

Directions...who needs'em! I mucked around with a set of walkie-talkies for our trip (I leave for the Fort in a few hours, be there by 4pm today!). I tried all week to get these stupid things to charge. I found the directions last night, unbeknownst to me, I had been using them as a coaster all week at my desk. I did it the right way last night, and now I have plenty of power to aggrevate the crap out of the listener on the other end (you know you have to use CB slang, or it just isn't as fun!). Think of the three kings, they had no directions, just followed a star. Ever try that? You can get even more lost, or hit a tree..always looking up. They eventually got there, took almost two weeks, but now we have that song about the 12 days of Christmas. See..it all works out.

Have fun at the Fort!

And good luck with those walkie talkies. I got a set a while back to take on vacation when we rent a beach house. I told Mrs. TCD I could use the walkie talkie to call her from down on the beach when I needed a beer. To make a long story short, the walkie talkies did not get used on that trip.

TCD

TCD you are right as you can see there is a Castmember parking to the right and the fire station is behind that

FireStation.jpg

Wow- that parking lot is huge!

No wonder I always see castmembers coming and going.

And, it looks like that road is the only one in or out for the fire station. I don't recall ever seeing a fire truck or other emergency vehicle on that road. That station must not get a lot of calls.

TCD

Time to pick back up on this report.

It is still the morning of December 31st.

While the girls hit the showers, I cleaned up around camp.

I got our New Year's Eve banner hung:

IMG_2781.jpg

And since the FSU bowl game was over, I put the Seminole guy away and put up this beauty:

IMG_2782.jpg

Here's one more shot showing all the decorations. You can also see my camping gnome and red solo cup tribute to S70 down by the site marker:

IMG_2783.jpg

I had to keep putting a new cup out there.

Our loop attendant did such a good job that he kept on picking up the red solo cup and throwing it away!

We just hung out for the rest of the morning and on into the early afternoon. We looked at the activity schedule, and decided that since we had breakfast at the campsite, we would go eat out somewhere for lunch. The girls suggested Wilderness Lodge. That was an excellent suggestion.

A frequent complaint about the dining situation at the Fort is that the Fort ought to have a counter service restaurant. I agree, but I don't think we will ever see that. And one thing that folks often overlook is that Wilderness Lodge has a great counter service restaurant, and it is a quick bus ride away. Especially if you are on the Yellow Bus route, which the 1500 loop is.

So, we left our cart at the site and headed to the 1500 loop bus stop. Luck was with us today, as a bus arrived within minutes. We cruised on down to the Settlement, slowing, but not even stopping at the 1400 and 500 loop bus stops. We stopped briefly at the Settlement, and then it was on to Wilderness Lodge. We were there in less than 10 minutes from when we left our site!

Awesome.

One twin got a sandwich, the other chicken nuggets, and I got a bowl of chili. They usually have a soup of the day and chili at Roaring Forks. The chili is great. And, it was just the right thing for lunch for me. I wanted to chow down on the pulled pork tonight, so I wanted a small lunch.

The Fort is not the only WDW resort that has scheduled activities for its guests. One of the activities that they have in the afternoons at Wilderness Lodge is cookie decorating. They give kids a sugar cookie, and then they have icing and sprinkles there for them to use to decorate the cookie. We have done this many times, and they let all the kids who want to participate. They never check resort ID's, and even if they did, I think these activites are open to all resort guests. As luck would have it, the lady who oversees the cookie decorating came out and set up while we were enjoying our lunch. Since the TCD twins are 16 now, they said that they didn't want to go over to the table, because they thought they may be turned away for being too old. That was kind of sad, because they used to love to decorate cookies. As we sat there, a couple of teens went up to the table, and sat down and decorated cookies. The castmember did not bat an eye. The twins were happy. As soon as the other teens left, they headed over and decorated a cookie:

IMG_2784.jpg

It was such a small thing- just one cookie- but it made them happy.

Sometimes it's the little things.

And Disney is good about the little things.

And the big things too.

After our great lunch, we enjoyed all of the Christmas decorations in the lobby, and then headed back to the bus stop.

No sooner had we arrived that I could see a bus heading our way.

Sure enough, it was the Fort bus!

IMG_2785.jpg

As we rode back to the Fort, twin #2 pointed out this ad for the Verizon Mobile Magic Disney ap:

IMG_2788.jpg

We don't use Verizon, so we can't get this ap. So, I know very little about it. But, this ad confused us about what the ap does. Do you see the information it is displaying about It's a Small World? It shows a wait time, and then a Fastpass return time. Why? Since when does IASW have Fastpasses? I have always suspected that these types of aps are not really very useful, and seeing this type of incorrect display makes me think that all the more.

We arrived right back at the 1500 loop bus stop just over an hour after we left.

So, even though the Fort doesn't have its own quick serve restaurant, using the one at WL is pretty darned convenient.

In case you don't know, the Fort's bus routes are currently set up so the Yellow bus is the bus that travels back and forth to Wilderness Lodge. That means you can catch that bus, and not have to switch at the Settlement bus stop. That is great for folks in the full hook up loops (and the other loops served by the Yellow route) to know.

We headed back to our site, and hopped on the cart.

It was a little after 3, and we wanted to see what was going on.

What was the weather like where you were on December 31?

If it was cold, you will probably not want to hear that according to the TCD pop-up's on board weather station, it was 80 degrees on the afternoon of December 31!

80 degrees!

And sunny!

Do you think anyone was at the pool?

See for yourself:

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

There were a bunch of kids playing in the sand on the volleyball court:

IMG_2792.jpg

Here's the path that goes to the footbridge that takes you to the 1500 loop bus stop:

IMG_2793.jpg

The trees around the pool were making a lot of shade as the sun sunk lower in the sky, so folks were kind of all over the deck, and even in the grass, soaking up rays:

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

I guess the pesky locals who come to freeload all summer long had other plans for NYE, as the little pavilion by the pool was not in use:

IMG_2797.jpg

Folks were enjoying the tennis courts:

IMG_2798.jpg

As we headed out of the pool area, and back toward our loop, I noticed some folks out for a hike:

IMG_2799.jpg

The disappeared into the brush. If you look, you can see the top of one of their hats barely poking out there near the center of the photo. They were clearly looking for something. I wonder what?:

IMG_2800.jpg

Around this time of the afternoon, it was time for some time in the official TCD hammock.

Here we are looking up at the beautiful trees and blue sky:

IMG_2803.jpg

This was my view to the left. You can see the moon there in between the tree tops in this shot:

IMG_2804.jpg

And here's what I saw looking to my right:

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

It was a perfect afternoon.

After I rested my eyes for just a bit, we decided to head down to the Settlement to see if there was anything happening yet at the beach.

It turns out that there was.

We will be heading there next.

TCD

... and we won't even go into the "Luke, I am your father" scene. :bugeyes:

OK, that's one LOL for today.

One more, and your work will be done again.

Although I am still a Star Wars newbie, I think it's interesting that the only Star Wars spankulas are Darth and a Storm Trooper.

I'll bet if they made a Princess Leia one, it would outsell that stupid Snow White by far.

TCD

I'll do my best. These things can't be rushed. ;D

I don't understand the storm trooper spankula either. What the fort? I think the Princess Leia one for the fellas and a Luke Skywalker for the ladies would be far more appropriate and def far more profitable. Storm Trooper indeed! Hmph!

Maybe a Yoda spankula for our height challenged fiends. ;D

ETA: Great update. Apparently I was posting the above comments as you were posting the update.

I agree with the girls! The little things are the ones that truly makes it special and are the things that you recall years later. Believe me. I know.

The KFKids would totally love the cookie decorating! We'll have to work that in next time. What's not to love about sugar cookies?

Lastly, I completely love the photos of the guests swmming! Brrr..

Aww, you know every time you do a S70 tribute, I get all giddy. :heartsmiley:

I really enjoy Roaring Forks. If you haven't had the cucumber salad, I highly recommend it. (if you like cucumbers) I've never head their chili, so I'll have to try it.

I'm ready to hear what was going on at the Settlement, and your pork review.

I am telling this all to you now, because we have reached the part of our trip where I put the pork in the crock pot and got it going.

In case you are wondering, here's the recipe that I used:

IMG_2774.jpg

Originally, I planned to get a cup of root beer from the Meadow Snack Bar.

But, I have seen recipes like this that use Dr. Pepper or Coke rather than root beer.

So, we decided to use something that we call "brew."

That is half Mr. Pibb Extra and half Cherry Coke. That's a drink that the twins invented based on the fact that both of these soft drinks are available at the Trail's End drink machine. We often stop at the Settlement for a brew.

So, I did a TCD tweak to the recipe.

Instead of root beer, I used brew.

After I got the crock pot going it was time to go out for my normal morning patrol.

And that is what I did next.

TCD

TCD has inspired me. This recipe is on tap for serving during the Pats/Broncos game tomorrow. I've got a bottle of Stewart's root beer and a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's and am curious see how this turns out.

There is no applesauce. Yet. Hopefully there will be.

No pictures of the decorated cookies? :(

80 degrees how awesome, I sure hope we have those temps in 2 weeks!!

I love chili so I will definitely give Roaring Forks a try!

Note to self, keep a close eye on my Red Solo cup, I would hate to have it disappear!

Ok, now I am ready for the next update. :))

Where is a closer look at the drive way. Does anyone see anything funny about this photo?

FireStation2.jpg

Boy, Todd, you made me look really hard at this.

Like Nicki, I noticed what looked like that RV up neat the top right corner. But, after looking some more I thought it might be a fire truck. It looks like there is a crane next to it. I was wondering what that was all about. Then I noticed a bus, and what I first thought were a bunch of cars driving by the firetruck. Then I looked again- those are people in the road! This photo must have been taken during one of the races at WDW- cool!

... and we won't even go into the "Luke, I am your father" scene. :bugeyes:

I'll do my best. These things can't be rushed. ;D

I don't understand the storm trooper spankula either. What the fort? I think the Princess Leia one for the fellas and a Luke Skywalker for the ladies would be far more appropriate and def far more profitable. Storm Trooper indeed! Hmph!

Maybe a Yoda spankula for our height challenged fiends. ;D

ETA: Great update. Apparently I was posting the above comments as you were posting the update.

I agree with the girls! The little things are the ones that truly makes it special and are the things that you recall years later. Believe me. I know.

The KFKids would totally love the cookie decorating! We'll have to work that in next time. What's not to love about sugar cookies?

Lastly, I completely love the photos of the guests swmming! Brrr..

Kim- thanks for the comments.

As far as I know, they do the cookie decorating every afternoon at WL- I think we were there around 2 pm.

I know they also do this at AKL- and their decorations include gummy bears!

And the cookie is shaped like a hippo!

That alone makes it worth the trip over there.

Aww, you know every time you do a S70 tribute, I get all giddy. :heartsmiley:

I really enjoy Roaring Forks. If you haven't had the cucumber salad, I highly recommend it. (if you like cucumbers) I've never head their chili, so I'll have to try it.

I'm ready to hear what was going on at the Settlement, and your pork review.

Cucumber salad.

I like cucumbers.

I like salad.

It sounds like a winner to me.

I don't remember seeing it on the menu, though.

Is it something that they make for you, or do they have them in the case?

TCD has inspired me. This recipe is on tap for serving during the Pats/Broncos game tomorrow. I've got a bottle of Stewart's root beer and a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's and am curious see how this turns out.

There is no applesauce. Yet. Hopefully there will be.

Alright!

Pulled pork for Tebow Time!

Let me know how it turns out!

No pictures of the decorated cookies? :(

80 degrees how awesome, I sure hope we have those temps in 2 weeks!!

I love chili so I will definitely give Roaring Forks a try!

Note to self, keep a close eye on my Red Solo cup, I would hate to have it disappear!

Ok, now I am ready for the next update. :))

Sorry, but no cookie photos. I really am bad about taking food photos.

I will put in an order for 80 degrees in two weeks.

I wouldn't count on that, though.

Yes, try the chili.

I'm a big fan of the chili at RF. I had some in November. I pretty much have some on every trip. Some extra hot sauce, and some crackers...yum. And it's a cheap lunch, too! Or dinner.

Yes, I think it's maybe 3 bucks for a small bowl. And, it's very meaty. They have a big basket of saltine crackers there and you can take as many as you want. Good stuff.

TCD

What are you doing up here in our great but little state of Delaware? If you need any info on things up here let me know we have lived here for 20 years and I have worked here for 35 years. Which part of the state are you in, we are in New Castle county at the top of the state.

I was in Wilmington. I go about twice a year! New Castle is just up the street! I will let you know next time i'm in the Tax Free State!

TCD,

I tried to post a couple of days ago and my post dissappeared...........bummer.

As always really enjoying your report.

You posted a picture of the tennis courts. My boys make good use of those when we are at the fort. Its funny, as they rarely play at home, but when we are at the fort they will play for hours.

You have mentioned the GREAT weather multiple times in your report.........I am jealous.........its cold here in NH!

I LOVED the part of the report that included the twins adventures on their big night out. One of the things that I so enjoy about your reports, is not only reading about the fun you all have together, but the fun they have together as well. My boys are extremeley close despite an almost three year age differance. They are best buddies and truly enjoy hanging out together. Because of that we have rarely invited their friends on vacation with us. They are already each others friends and have fun being together. Here on the fort fiends siblings seem to get along so well, but overall it seems rare in our circle of friends. Anyway, its alway fun to see your girls having fun together. I hope they always remain close, as I hope my boys do too!!!

Too bad about the Sea World Day.......but lucky for you that you live close enough to go anytime.

I had never heard of the internet cafe at the fort.

Loved the firework photos. A few years ago we were there over the 4th of July. On July 3rd, we saw the 4th of july firework display in front of the castle. On the 4th we viewed them from the beach at the Poly. Both were AMAZING!!!!!!! Now, i want to see the ones on New Years Eve.

Cant wait for another update!!!!

Heidi

You have mentioned the GREAT weather multiple times in your report.........I am jealous.........its cold here in NH!

I LOVED the part of the report that included the twins adventures on their big night out. One of the things that I so enjoy about your reports, is not only reading about the fun you all have together, but the fun they have together as well. My boys are extremeley close despite an almost three year age differance. They are best buddies and truly enjoy hanging out together. Because of that we have rarely invited their friends on vacation with us. They are already each others friends and have fun being together. Here on the fort fiends siblings seem to get along so well, but overall it seems rare in our circle of friends. Anyway, its alway fun to see your girls having fun together. I hope they always remain close, as I hope my boys do too!!!

Cant wait for another update!!!!

Heidi

Heidi-

Thanks for posting your comments.

I'm sorry to rub it in about the weather, but it was just fabulous for this trip. And, that is not always the case. In 2009, I remember that the weather was just awful- we had cold rain almost all day on New Year's Day.

I'm glad to hear that about your boys. My DD's are very close. Of course they have their moments, but they do get along well, especially when we get away from home and are at WDW. They are lucky to have each other.

I'll see what I can do about getting another update posted today.

TCD