MLK Weekend: Some Mid-Winter Fortitude!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who was that? I know it's not Lou, he doesn't read these things! I'm hoping around Halloween, unfortunately, it falls on a wednesday this year. That would be cool, a small bluegrass group playing on t

Love the green diamonds, pee and Paul Jr! :)

That might be my favorite quote ever!

Hmmm, I've worn some Magic Hats but I've never had one to drink! I'll put that on my "to try" list.

You tell a great story, can't wait to hear more!!!

Thanks, they say it has a secret ingredient in it, I think it may be a small piece of tangerine peel in the vat to give it a suggestion of something familiar that you just can't describe. I first said it had that taste of a first kiss when you were going through puberty, which is either poetic or gross...but I'm kinda both.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I am having a love hate relationship with you.....I love the pics but hate you for posting.

I've committed to not buying any beer until we pack for Daytona and I am out of @#$% beer! :banghead: I have Feb 18th so circled on my calendar. :jumpforjoy

Carry on :clint:

Sorry, there's a few more of those on the way. Life is a sample pack!

You're a freakin comedian! This is a hilarious report.

Thanks Dave!

WOOO! Great report so far. Can't wait for more!

P.S. I won't let my DH have a motorcycle either...so maybe I'll get him the grill. LOL

My wife won't even let me have a mini-bike! But my Paul Jr. grill is awesome, decked out in diamond-plate it has a speedometer and I apparently cook between 300-400mph degrees.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks for joining in Bob! Wow, late night 'eh?

MD-

Sorry for my delayed response- I got way behind on my ff.net reading, and it is hard to catch up when you let that happen!

Great report!

I love the photo of the kids by the checkerboard on Crockett's porch-funny stuff!

You have a great and unique writing style-I agree with Dave-very funny- I am looking forward to more.

TCD

Thanks! My kids are now hooked on checkers, I just can't get them to set up the right way. The two little ones insist that the black goes on the black squares, and red on red. And as a matter of convencience from how they're seated, the also setup the board diamond shaped. They're enjoying it...who am I to say?

:waiting2-smiley:

Next segment is written, I just have to review with fresh eyes when I get home. Should be posted tonight.

Day Two:

Music: Dan Fogelberg, Fleetwood Mac, Bela Fleck, Old Crow Medicine Show

Drink: Guinness

Smell: Fish, Fire, and Krautenbeanz Afterburn

I learned a magic trick! I can turn my camper into Arizona with a flick of the switch. Last year over New Year’s tip we experienced some cold nights, only to realize that the heat strip in the camper had gone out, so we found a Camping World in Kissimmee and got these little ceramic heaters. We set ‘em up just before everyone retired for the evening, and the camper was nice and toasty… However, when I awoke I had that splitting headache you get when every droplet of vapor is sucked out of the atmosphere.

I asked someone to hand me a bottle of water, and as I sucked it down I could here the moisture virtually sizzle whilst reconstituting every pore in my body. My sinuses felt like they were patted down with baby powder. It’s 5am…who just handed me water, and why were they standing up? Apparently, fish are starving at 5am, so Ben and William were dressed and ready to give ‘em the business.

It’s funny how they deck out the cart with a roof rack for the rods, and a ‘live well’ on the back. They use the cart to go from spot to spot to spot all throughout the Fort, sorta like a “land canoe”! By 7am, now partially rehydrated, I awoke again to find someone else standing up by my bunk…this time, eldest daughter…”can you bring me to Ben to go fishing?”. So I cracked open a Diet Dr. Pepper, put on my 18 t-shirts and a sweatshirt and headed out looking for the Bassmasters!

I know they prefer to start out by the Bike Barn early in the morning, apparently because that’s the only time when it’s not so active, and they can put several lines in and cover the entire section from the Meadow bridge to the canoes. And, it’s close to the coffee at 8am when the trading post opens. So we headed over to the back of the Bike Barn, got my girl set up with her pink and black “Lady Fish” pole, Ben baited her up and her line was in!

I was freezing, and the ice cold Dr. Pepper was offering no solace…and I don’t own gloves, dammit. So I figured I could warm up and be the hero at the same time, so I grabbed the mugs and headed for the trading post, and the clock on the wall said I’d be there for Meadow Trading Post rope drop… someone’s gotta be first, today was my turn.

I took the opportunity to take some photos…see? It even looks cold!

201211401.jpg

I had to put the mugs down to snap this one…

201211402.jpg

I walked around a bit, explored, listened to the sounds of the Fort waking up and coming to life, a boat horn from the marina, a dog barking, the Doppler effect of a jogger on a morning run passing by, and the gentle waft of someone cooking bacon. That’s one of my favorite camping smells, someone else’s bacon! The bacon part isn’t a sound, unless your really close to their site, but it is part of the sensory experience of camping, which is hugely important for this office-bound fluorescent light-tanned weekend warrior!

From there, they packed up and we headed to the Settlement for coffee and hot chocolate refills, and I grabbed a coffee for MetalWife, who we last saw still snoozing away in the canvas-clad Sahara Desert parked in 1446. I’m not a coffee drinker, so I’m not a very good coffee maker, but I know she likes a lot of cream, and I accidentally used the brown sugar instead of the white, but apparently she loved it...or was really nice about it! They headed off to the backstage not-so-secret fishing spot, and I headed back to the camper to start breakfast. Before I left them in the cart lot of the Settlement, I snapped this photo!

201211403.jpg

Back at the campsite, I needed to snap another photo to prove that I really am flying the flag here! Remember the black and white photo from before? The lack of experience with the camera…frozen fingers… I had to snap a photo of my homemade ff.net sign. When I was downloading the photos off of my phone-cam…the freakiest thing happened when I snapped the fiend photo…

201211404.jpg

It came out purple, that’s not an after the fact touch-up, I’m not that smart. I now know that there is a menu on the screen for black and white and tinted photos on my phone…another happy accident!

Ready to cook…almost. As you may or may not know by now, music is a very important part of my daily functioning. The right music has to be played at the right time, and I will indeed take 45 minutes to plan the music for a 30 minute car ride. So, I’ve put together several one-hour loops of rustic favorites made especially for camping.

Yeah, yeah, I know…camping...sounds of nature… that’s fine if you’re boondocking to get away from everything, but we are essentially camping in a huge manicured patch of landscaping full of buses, fireworks, and giddy kids getting ready for theme parks. And I play it at neighbor-friendly volumes (not like the douche in our loop with the custom cart that played loud, crappy hip-hop…who puts a sub-woofer on a camping cart?). For me there are two songs in particular that play while I slave away over corned beef hash and eggs.

1. Old Crow Medicine Show – Wagon Wheel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yswz5MtGey0

2. Rolling Stones – Dear Doctor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STjASYx9a9k

My wife hates the Stones tune, my youngest loves it, but like Pavlov’s dog, they know that chow is on! Camp cooking is one of my favorite camping activities…takes 2 hours to prepare, and finished in 8 minutes.

After we ate, it was time to do a little looping and catch up with the fishing posse. My son spends a bulk of his site time in the cart inventing some sort of game, this time he was giving the other kids imaginary rides and using their key cards and swiping them like a debit card for rides. At one point, he had two kids from Wisconsin go back to their camper on Little Bear loop to get their cards so they could pay for their fake ride!

201211405.jpg

We headed out to the 300 loop and slipped through the backstage area by the little bridges, and there they were. No sooner did we get there and my daughter pulled one in!

201211408.jpg

Now, for me, there’s only one thing more boring than fishing…and that’s watching someone else fish. So I went for a walk. I had some recon work to do for this here TR.

The first order of business was to get a shot for my neighbor, as it seems that about this part of the report has some obligatory photos…so here goes…

201211406.jpg

Next, the cabin. The intriguing thing about this little cabin is that I see dozens of them at KOA, and it’s no big deal, but this one is locked, and off-limits so therefore I’m drawn to the mystery!

201211407.jpg

Apparently, they tested it out at one point as a rental as the link between the regular camping sites and the park models that they rent as cabins. It sat on site 1205 and looked like this:

Cabin.jpg

Anyway, back to the fishing spot. My littlest one pulls one in!

201211409.jpg

Then, I saw the weirdest thing, and really why I call this backstage. No carts are supposed to go back here, maybe coz the sand, or proximity to water, or too heavy for the bridges…well maybe not that. I saw a big freakin’ Thomas’ English Muffin truck zoom by, and disappear into the brush. All these years and I’m thinking this is part of the nature trail, nope, it’s how they get the food to the Settlement Trading Post/Trail’s End/HDDR/BYBBQ. I missed the muffin man…but I got this bastard…

201211410.jpg

I had a good laugh with the rest of the crew, seemed kinda surreal…then I heard a big roar come from the bushes…

201211411.jpg

Meanwhile, my kids are pulling in the fish one after the other…

201211412.jpg

201211413.jpg

201211414.jpg

201211415.jpg

201211416.jpg

201211417.jpg

201211418.jpg

William had a bunch too!

201211419.jpg

201211423.jpg

201211424.jpg

201211421.jpg

201211422.jpg

It was time for me to head back to the camper. I had some very important relaxing to do, and White Chicken Chili to make. I had to check the cooler for a stray…found this guy.

JaiAlai.jpg

At this point, the ice in the cooler hadn’t melted yet, amazing. It was maybe 1pm or so at this point, lunch was cooking, an old Dan Fogelberg record from the 70’s was playing, the fishing crew returned, all was right in the world. Ready for an adventure… but first…got to try a new one…

Drifter.jpg

Next…I get my fiend on in a very expensive pineapple way!

I am not a morning person, but TCD & you both have thinking that when I get back to the fort I need to become one. The peacefulness can be felt through your pictures.

The last time we were at the Fort was two years ago. We brought the fishing poles since youngest dd & dh like to fish, but never ended up going fishing. I have said when we go back there will be more time spent at the Fort & less at the parks.

Oh and I love your son giving "rides" on the cart with the card swiping.

Love the report!

Your kids are cute, the beer is georgeous!

Haven't tried or seen Cigar City Brew, is that local down there?

Have you tried Widmer Bro's black ale? You will probably like it since you are a guiness man.

Here is a rare evening TCD post to bump this report on to its third page, and back up to the top of the new content so folks can read it.

There is some great stuff here!

You are a great (and funny) writer!

Love the photo of Bay Lake with Discovery Island and the MK in the background.

I saw that neighbor comment, too. (Thumbs up smiley)

Keep up the good work!

TCD

What a PERFECT Fort morning!!! (Except for the cold!)

Indeed! Still 2 more mornings left!

Your kids are so darn cute. It was so nice to see them enjoying the Fort!!

Thanks! I'm so pleased with how they would rather enjoy the Fort and camping activities, than some of the other options we can offer. They will bring these memories forward for decades!

I am not a morning person, but TCD & you both have thinking that when I get back to the fort I need to become one. The peacefulness can be felt through your pictures.

The last time we were at the Fort was two years ago. We brought the fishing poles since youngest dd & dh like to fish, but never ended up going fishing. I have said when we go back there will be more time spent at the Fort & less at the parks.

Oh and I love your son giving "rides" on the cart with the card swiping.

Fishing is a huge part of why we go there now, I hadn't really thought about it much until Ben started going with us! His intentions are purely for bonding with his son, as the chaos of being home can often make that difficult for anyone...work, school, sports, clubs...life. We go there for pure escape!

Loving this report!

I :rofl2: at your wife sleeping in a canvas clad Sahara desert!

Good job on the kids fishing, they were reeling em in.

Ben has one heck of a mustache! :clint:

Yes, Ben has "Thee" mustache. I told him 2 decades ago...keep it, they'll come back in style! They actually did, for 1 month this past fall!

Love the report!

Your kids are cute, the beer is georgeous!

Haven't tried or seen Cigar City Brew, is that local down there?

Have you tried Widmer Bro's black ale? You will probably like it since you are a guiness man.

Cigar City is from Ybor City, the old Cuban section of Tampa. I will look for the black ale, as it sounds like my taste. I also like Murphy's as another Irish Stout. If you can, try Left Hand Brewings Milk Stout, tasts like a Guiness Vanilla Float! http://www.lefthandbrewing.com/beers/milk-stout

Great trip report. Seeing all the smiles makes me want to be there (have to wait until Thanksgiving).

Thanks! Thanksgiving is a great time to be there!

Only two pages late but I'm hooked... bring it on!

Welcome to page 3! Thanks for reading along!

Here is a rare evening TCD post to bump this report on to its third page, and back up to the top of the new content so folks can read it.

There is some great stuff here!

You are a great (and funny) writer!

Love the photo of Bay Lake with Discovery Island and the MK in the background.

I saw that neighbor comment, too. (Thumbs up smiley)

Keep up the good work!

TCD

Many thanks TCD, I thought you may have enjoyed that photo and comment! I'm surprised no one commented on the cabin, and it having used to be a rental, I found that very interesting.

Thanks everybody for reading along, update will be along shortly, the saturday night portion should be pretty funny! Well, it was...if I can just write it that way!

Many thanks TCD, I thought you may have enjoyed that photo and comment! I'm surprised no one commented on the cabin, and it having used to be a rental, I found that very interesting.

Well, I know your new here, but that subject has been covered quite a bit here, and a lot of folks here have seen that rental picture. Perhaps that's why no comments. It is cool though!!!!

Ah-Ha! Makes sense! Sorry (hangs head in embarrassed shame!).

Never MD, nothing for you to be embarrassed about. i think it's a cute little cabin. Anyone know why WDW didn't go with that design?

Very true, No (embarrassed shame) needed. We have many new members that have not read all the reports. This will be new to some members and old news to others. Regardless, keep posting all the wonderful content! And thank you!

Well, I know your new here, but that subject has been covered quite a bit here, and a lot of folks here have seen that rental picture. Perhaps that's why no comments. It is cool though!!!!

Yes. Sorry about the lack of response about the cabin, but most of us Old Forts already know the story about it.

And, it wasn't all that long ago that someone posted some photos of what was inside that cabin.

But major props to you for taking the photos out there by the canal- it is one of my favorite spots in the Fort.

TCD