From WDW Magic...

Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Feb 06, 2012

Some big changes are expected to be implemented at all FASTPASS attractions next month. Starting March 7 2012, it is expected that the FASTPASS return windows will now be actively enforced, with a 5 minute early arrival and 15 minute late arrival to be allowed. Anyone arriving outside of those times will not be allowed entry to the attraction. The new validity windows will be required for the future roll-out of more advanced NextGen FASTPASS systems, which will require much tighter control of FASTPASS entry than what the current system offers.

The current FASTPASS system does not allow early arrivial times, but does allow late arrivals up to the end of the day. Many guests make use of the late arrival tolerance with the current system, so the new enforcement will be a significant impact to those guest's park touring plans.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Other/FASTPASS/News/06Feb2012-Big-changes-coming-to-FASTPASS-in-March.htm

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that where you can you pick the times for your fastpasses for certain rides on the days of your vacation before you even get there? Or is it done from the onsite lodgings? Something like that.

Disney's official announcement specifically says, and I quote, "this is not a change, but simply a reminder of our existing policy. Exceptions can be granted for situations such as an attraction downtime, a delay in meal service or personal emergency".

It was always supposed to be this way, but it was not enforced.

TCD asked what is the NextGen? From what I hear it's referring to the equipment that will read the Fastpass thereby not allowing you in if the time is not correct. Isn't it done by a CM now.

I think WDW Magic is over stating the story a little by calling it a "big change".

You're right Lou, as of Nov at least checking the FP times was done by a CM at the entry. Many times you could just hand them whatever FP time you had and they never even looked at it. I'm wondering if this new FP will lead to fewer CMs in the entry/loading areas if a machine can read the new FPs and trigger a gate to open or something leading you into the FP line.

From what I've witnessed during our park trips, there still seems to be quite a need for CMs to man the FP machines. It'd be nice if they could simplify that part of the system. At least one of FP distribution machines at any given ride always seems to glitch or be down. Not to mention, no matter how simple you keep it, there are always going to be some that just don't understand how to put a ticket in and get a FP back....

Disney's official announcement specifically says, and I quote, "this is not a change, but simply a reminder of our existing policy. Exceptions can be granted for situations such as an attraction downtime, a delay in meal service or personal emergency".

It was always supposed to be this way, but it was not enforced.

TCD asked what is the NextGen? From what I hear it's referring to the equipment that will read the Fastpass thereby not allowing you in if the time is not correct. Isn't it done by a CM now.

I think WDW Magic is over stating the story a little by calling it a "big change".

Actually, having castmembers enforce the return time will be a big change. For years, the policy has been to let guests with fastpasses use them as long as they were returning after the printed return time. They never refused to honor a fastpass because the guest was returning after the assigned return time. So, this statement is not true : "this is not a change, but simply a reminder of our existing policy. Exceptions can be granted for situations such as an attraction downtime, a delay in meal service or personal emergency." Enforcing the return time is most definitely a change. And it is a big change over how things have been done for years.

As far as NextGen Fastpasses, what I have heard rumors of is that there will be some kind of wristband with a computer chip which can be programed with mulitiple Fastpasses. The rumor I heard is that this will be something offered to guests of the deluxe resorts. I don't know if us poor campers will get something else, or maybe nothing.

TCD

Since I seriously doubt any CM is going to refuse a Guest who returns late, wouldn't it be wise and quite possible that one would need to insert their fast pass into a scanner upon entering the FP line which would take the "human" part of the equation?

Well, it sounds like that is exactly what they are going to have CM's do once this "non-change" goes into effect. I meant to add earlier that if this is not a change, as the FAQ's suggest, then why are they announcing a start date of March 7?

I think this "non-change" is paving the way for the NextGen fastpasses, which apparently will be on a chip, and require a scanner. That will take the human part out of the equation.

TCD

You would think - since confrontation isn't something Disney likes, and this will definitely spark some of that.

However there has been info posted on the CM hub about this issue so it seems that in the short term, they will be relying on CMs to enforce the policy.

But I'm betting that whatever "NextGen" means for FP it likely has something to do with automating this to some degree.

A tidbit from Screamscape (take it with a grain of salt - they're not always super reliable)...

(2/16/12) Interesting little changes are taking place at Epcot this week. The Epcyclopedia reports that queue reconfigurations are in progress at The Sea with Nemo & Friends and Spaceship Earth attractions. The scope of the work involved makes it fairly clear that Disney is adding some kind of FastPass style direct access queue pathway into these attractions, though capacity wise, neither attraction truly is in need of a true FastPass access system.

Going back to previous rumors suggesting that Disney is on the verge of launching the “XPass”, a higher tier version of FastPass reserved in advance for premium for guests who purchase premium Disney Resort packages. The first step in order to make room for the introduction of the rumored XPass was to start enforcing the closing window time on all FastPasses.. which will now begin in March. Once they work out the bugs there, I think we can perhaps expect to see a test of the XPass sometime over the next three months. Either way, it is starting to appear as if Epcot could very well be the testing ground for many new “NextGen” features Disney has been planning. For example, back in mid-November Epcot was testing a new RFID chip based ticket system, combined with a special turnstyle free entrance portal with ticket scanners.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/wdw_-_epcot.htm#General

From The Disney Blog (not affilliated with the Disney Company)...

New Fastpass, How Strategies Might Change

Posted on February 18, 2012 by Marshal Knight

9tweetsretweet

fastpass-mickeymouse1.jpg

Coming in early March, Fastpass will have new rules that, really, go back to the roots of the Fastpass system. Now, you can enter the Fastpass queue up to 5 minutes before your selected time window and until 15 minutes after your window. I know what you’re thinking…Marshal, isn’t that they way it always was? Nope. You’ve always been allowed to come back any time starting when your Fastpass window begins, which people gladly did.

With the new guidelines, it will be a little more time crunchy (Yes, I just made up a new phrase…so?!) when it comes time to deal with your time (see what I did there). Now, your day will really need to be a tad more structured then before. So what can you do? I thought up a couple things that might help you in the long run of enjoying your day at the parks.

• Look at the time BEFORE you grab your Fastpass. Once you retrieve it, you won’t be able to use another one for at least an hour, so watch yourself.
  • While looking at the time, do a quick checklist through your head. Do I have any dinner reservations or do I plan on eating at a specific time? Will I be in a place at that point in my day where I couldn’t utilize the Fastpass? Simple questions that make you plan out your day to a degree, but not enough to make you feel stressed.
  • If you do get a Fastpass be sure to read the ‘next available time’ to get your next Fastpass. Your Fastpass to see Mickey Mouse, for instance, might be ‘off network’ meaning you can get another Fastpass immediately. Disney has been known to play with that.
  • Also, take into account the ride’s line itself. Some of them are entertaining enough to make it fun to wait. (For Example, if you have kids, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is a great line for them to blow off some steam so they don’t even realize they are waiting!
  • You might want to download the http://disneyparksmobile.com/mobilemagic/ android or iphone app that includes the current FP return window rather than walk all the way across the park only to find out the window doesn’t work for you.

It seems to me there is now an opportunity for each park to have a central meeting place that becomes an ‘unofficial’ trading post. If I have Fastpasses for Test Track I can’t use, perhaps I can trade them for Fastpasses to another ride at a time that works better for me.

Another impact will be that walkways around the popular Fastpass attractions will become much busier places. If you thought Pixar Place was busy now, wait until it fills up with more people who don’t want to wander off before their Toy Story Midway Mania Fastpass window opens. Disney will need to do what it can to remove the clutter in these areas (outdoor foods will have to move, stroller parking will have to shift), bring in more attractions and shows to areas that only have the one major ride (Expedition Everest, Toy Story Mania spring to mind), and make sure there is plenty of shade or air-conditioned waiting areas.

Do you have any suggestions on how to better manage your Fastpass times at the parks? How about some interesting ways to make waiting in line fun? Comment Below! Also, don’t be afraid to share some Fastpass horror or victorious stories in the comments as well! And until next time…Have A Magical Day (with or without a beard…)!

http://thedisneyblog.com/

I hope that this is not something attached to booking at a "deluxe" resort. That would not make me a happy camper and I would likely not buy another AP.

If these NextGen Fastpasses are going to be: "a higher tier version of FastPass reserved in advance for premium for guests who purchase premium Disney Resort packages." then I agree with you Rita.

I kind of believe that they will be something that people have to pay for. What a great way for Disney to make money out of essentially nothing. If they can milk some whales for some big bucks, they will do it, and to heck with the local AP holders and poor slobs who stay in the moderate and value resorts or (gasp) the filthy campers.

TCD

I hope thats not the case.. if so then that is truly sad!

The more I think about it, I can't believe that they will totally scrap regular Fastpasses.

But, if they tightly control the return times, then they can schedule the rich people to come in during certain blocks of time, and they will be able to strut past the poor people with their noses in the air.

So, the poor people will have Fastpasses that are only valid during certain limited times.

And the rich people will have no lines the rest of the time. From what I gather, they will have unlimited Fastpasses, and they will be able to have a whole day's worth loaded on to their computer chips in their wristbands at one time. No running around collecting Fastpasses for them.

Those Disney beancounters are geniuses I tell you.

Who could possibly have a problem with this?

TCD

Total speculation here, but based on the tidbits I've read, I'm thinking they may offer "scheduled" FPs to guests at Deluxe resorts - meaning it's the same FP system but because it will all be computerized and more tightly controlled, they actually schedule their FPs from the comfort of their swanky hotel room/suite... maybe even from their homes after making their reservation??.

That would allow WDW to consider it a Deluxe Resort Guest "perk" without inciting the masses by monkeying with the regular FP system.

Universal resort guest get a "front of the line" pass as a perk of staying on property there, and I believe you can still buy one for some silly amount of money (or at least you could - we didn't go last year).

I can't imagine the chaos if they offered "special" FPs for sale because you know loads of people would buy them.

Then again, if enough people BUY FPs, maybe that will clear out the regular lines for the rest of us! :rofl2:

I'm just guessing here but typically those kind of service changes are rolled out for concierge level guests first at other resort destinations.

IMO it makes sense that'll be where the kinks get worked out of this system in the beginning too. It's a smaller more manageable test group with easy access to hands on assistance in the event of a glitch. Besides, they've got to give those CL CM's something to do from their desks by the elevators than just printing tickets or making an occassional dining/tour reservation. While I fully enjoyed sitting at that desk, eating taffy, & gossiping with my favorite CMs, it's still hard not to notice that most people just pass them right on by as they head into the lounge for the free eats...

From Jim Hill Media. I'd classify all this as RUMOR AND SPECULATION at this point, so take it with a grain of salt. I've seen a lot of articles from this guy written as if he has a high-place "inside source" that never pan out.

Which WDW attractions are becoming part of the xPASS experience?

Jim Hill

22 Feb 2012 8:00 AM

Thanks Jim for the great article. I have shared it with my readers via facebook. Please stay on top of the NextGen story for all of us!

Mahalo,

Mark Hickson

Will do. In fact, let me share something that a certain Godfather fan pass was nice enough to pass along to me. Which is the definitive list of the 70 experiences which will be available to WDW Guests are part of the xPASS program.

Now note that word "experience." For while there are 28 attractions that are currently wired into Disney World's FastPASS system ... When xPASS finally comes fully online (and -- from what I've now been hearing -- we could be well in 2013 before that actually happens), the number of rides, shows and attractions that Guests will now be able to make advance ride reservations for will have basically doubled.

Not only that, but these same people will be able to book times for exclusive meet & greets with the Disney characters as well as claiming primo viewing spots for parades in the Parks & nighttime spectaculars like Illuminations and Wishes.

But in order to fold those meet & greets as well as those parade viewing spots into this ride reservation system ... Well, Disney had to come up a new way to describe what these Guests will be booking. So when xPASS does finally & fully roll out in 2013, look for the Mouse's merry marketeers to start talking up experiences(As in: "Look at all of the magical adventures and experiences you can book ahead of time as part of your Walt Disney World Vacation") rather than rides, shows and attractions.

Anyway ... You wanna know which parts of WDW's entertainment inventory we're specifically talking about here? The list goes as follows:

The Magic Kingdom currently has the following rides, shows and attractions available for advance booking through that theme park's FastPASS system:

• Space Mountain
  • Splash Mountain
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Mickey's Philharmagic
  • Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
  • Peter Pan's Flight
  • Jungle Cruise
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
  • Stitch's Great Escape

Once xPASS is up & running, WDW visitors will also have the chance to book in advance:

• it's a small world
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • The Haunted Mansion
  • Tomorrowland Speedway
  • The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
  • The Great Goofini junior roller coaster
  • Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
  • Dumbo the Flying Elephant
  • The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

Not to mention exclusive meet & greets with the Disney characters as well as primo viewing spots for such Magic Kingdom favorites as:

• Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade
  • Main Street Electrical Parade
  • Wishes Nighttime Spectacular

Meanwhile, over at EPCOT, Guests can currently use that theme park's FastPASS system to enter the virtual queue for:

• Soarin'
  • Test Track
  • Mission: SPACE
  • Maelstrom
  • Living with the Land
  • Captain EO

Once xPASS comes online, WDW visitors will be able to book advance reservations for:

• Journey into Imagination with Figment
  • Turtle Talk with Crush
  • The Seas with Nemo & Friends
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Disney's Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure

These Guests will also have the opportunity to experience exclusive meet & greets with the Disney characters as well as claim a spot for the nightly presentation of:

• IlllumiNations: Reflections of Earth

Meanwhile, over at Disney's Hollywood Studios ... Nowadays, Guests can use FastPASS to book advance ride times on:

• Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
  • Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
  • Toy Story Mania!
  • Rock 'n' Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith
  • Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
  • Voyage of the Little Mermaid
  • Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show

But in the not-so-distant future ... Thanks to xPASS, visitors to this studio theme park will also be able to take advantage of Disney's virtual queuing system to cut the line / their wait time for:

• The Great Movie Ride
  • MuppetVision 3-D
  • Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage!
  • The American Idol Experience
  • Studio Backlot Tour

Plus those exclusive meet & greets with the Disney characters. Not to mention special reserved-in-advance viewing areas for:

• Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun!
  • Fantasmic!

Meanwhile over at Disney's Animal Kingdom ... Where once WDW Guests were only able to use their FastPASSes for:

• Expedition Everest
  • Kilmanjaro Safaris
  • Kali River Rapids
  • It's Tough to be a Bug!
  • DINOSAUR
  • Primeval Whirl

Once xPASS officially comes online next year, these same Disney World visitors will be able to use this virtual queuing system to book seats for:

• Finding Nemo - The Musical
  • Festival of the Lion King

Not to mention those exclusive meet & greet opportunities with the Disney characters as well as primo viewing spot for:

• Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade

Now, I know that there are those Disneyana fans who are going to squawk about Disney World bumping out the number of rides, shows and attractions in its FastPASS / xPASS inventory from 28 to 50. They're going to insist that -- by doing this -- the typical day visitor to these theme parks who doesn't have access to this new book-in-advance virtual queue is now doomed to spend their days waiting in the stand-by line.

But according to the Mouse's own research, basically doubling the number of FastPASS / xPASS-based attractions actually has a hidden benefit in that it will spread people out around the Parks. Which means that the crowds will no longer be clustered around a handful of super-popular attractions like Splash Mountain and Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.

More to the point, software safety guards are reportedly being put in place which will then prevent those Guests who are actually using the xPASS system from booking up in advance all of the available ride times for the theme park's most popular attractions (EX: While booked their day at the Magic Kingdom, these WDW visitors will only be able to reserved in advance their ride times on two of that theme park's "Mountains" [i.e. Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and/or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad] rather than all three).

Also -- to mitigate that teeny bit of extra time in line which Guests who have not taken advantage of WDW's new xPASS to book their ride times in advance will be experiencing (The way I hear it, the full roll-out of this NextGen virtual queuing system will add 1 - 3 minutes of wait time for WDW visitors standing in the stand-by line for most attractions, while people standing in line to experience the top three attractions at each park will then see their wait time increase by just 6 - 8 minutes) ... Well, that's why you've seen the Imagineers adding Scene Ones (EX: That interactive graveyard which Guests now have the option of exploring when they visit The Haunted Mansion at the Magic Kingdom), play areas (EX: The front-most part of the queue for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, which features all sorts of hands-on activities for preschoolers & their families) as well as interactive group games (EX: Those Wii-like games that Guests can play as a group on overhead screens while waiting in line to experience Soarin'). To make that extra little bit of time that people will soon be spending in line seem that much more enjoyable.

There are lots of other intriguing aspects about the xPASS system that I'll soon be getting to in future JHM stories. But here's one that will be sure to make West Coast-based Disneyana fans smile: There are already plans in place to roll out xPASS at the Disneyland Resort in 2015, just in time for Disneyland Park's 60th anniversary. And there are also discussions underway as to how to properly implement this NextGen virtual queuing system onboard the Disney Cruise Line.

Anyway ... That's an early, early look at which rides, shows and attractions will be included as part of WDW's xPASS experience. Do you think the Mouse made the right choices? If not, which rides, shows and attractions would you have preferred to see as part of Disney World's NextGen virtual queuing system?

http://jimhillmedia....experience.aspx