• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting to note that he mentions preferred viewing for parade and illuminations. This part wouldn't be new at all. Years ago resort managers had the ability to invite a few select guests to enjoy MK parades and Illuminations from a "VIP" viewing area. I'm not sure there was any rhyme or reason to who was chosen. I always assumed it was connected to who you knew, what you might have been celebrating before everyone celebrated something every trip, or perhaps it just resulted from something you said at the manager's breakffast that morning. It wasn't publicized and couldn't be requested but was just an unexpected last minute sprinkling of pixie dust.

In Epcot, it was a roped-off area on an outcropping near Italy and included a small snack before the show - lemonade, tea & cookies IIRC. In DHS it was the area at the top on the left side behind the normal seating & sidewalk. In MK, it was the castle side of the bridge that extends slightly back from the road as the parade moves down the road leaving the circle in front of the castle & enters the Liberty Square area.

On any given day, you might see maybe 30-40 people seated on the benches in that roped off area watching the parade. As soon as it ended, the ropes came down and you'd never have known there was parade viewing there. Guests were told the name of the CM in charge of the area that day at each park and, after finding him, just needed to check in as their names would already be on his clipboard. We were never given anything speciifc in writing to show them and if you missed your assigned day/time or arrived late you were SOL.

I'd like to say that this eliminated the need to push or angle in front of people to see the MK parades or take pics. I'd like to. But alas that'd be a lie. People being asshats people, you still had adults who'd stand in front of you to take pictures of the entire parade or kids sitting in front of others there first on the ground under the ropes. What was really cool though is that this area is where the parade typically stalls as it winds thru the park and the characters would use that extra minute or two to come over to the rope to greet kids and pose for pictures. Somewhere I have a really incredible picture taken in that area of DD11 as a toddler in a Snow White costume being kissed by Snow herself - and another of her cheek after with the lipstick impression of her lips. I guess when Dave isn't around she loves up on cute little kids in costumes... :hah:

If they bring back some sort of preferred viewing area, I'd envision something like that again. The areas still exist, they've just stopped being used for that purpose in recent years. Using available areas like that though could easily allow for reserved viewing without impacting the experience for other guests...

Years ago resort managers had the ability to invite a few select guests to enjoy MK parades and Illuminations from a "VIP" viewing area. I'm not sure there was any rhyme or reason to who was chosen. I always assumed it was connected to who you knew, what you might have been celebrating before everyone celebrated something every trip, or perhaps it just resulted from something you said at the manager's breakffast that morning. It wasn't publicized and couldn't be requested but was just an unexpected last minute sprinkling of pixie dust.

One of my very best friends is a CM in the department that manages and is responsible for the VIP viewing areas.

I wanted to know too, so I called her and this is what she told me.

There is a rhyme and reason to getting into those viewing areas. Some of the areas are reserved for groups that are

having an event at WDW. So forget that option.

Another area is for people that the Guests Relations department has sent over in order to make up for something that has ticked them off. The squeaky wheel method.

And the third way, which is the best chance for the average person to get in, is to kiss up to the CM hovering around one of those roped off areas and holding the clip board. If they see that you are celebrating something, they haven't filled their quota yet, that you are friendly and strike up a conversation with them, you're likely to get a ticket for a VIP area.

It's not who you know, unless they are fairly high up. It's not what you say to an idiot resort manager, BTW, all WDW managers are idiots, that morning because they still have to get approval from either Guest Relations or the groups department.

Are they still doing the VIP viewing in MK now Lou? Haven't seen them in the area we were in for years now but know the Illuminations area was still being done. Somebody, don't remember who, told me years ago they'd stopped the MK viewing. I've been there/done that so no biggie but it'd be nice to think others new to wdw were still being surprised with it. It really did feel ....muwahaha... get ready for it... magical.

I know in our case it was Robert & Art at the BC and the last time thanks to Stephanie at the YC. Back then, you couldn't smooze your way in with the clipboard guy - well I didn't think so at any rate - I don't remember them as being especially talkative even to those of us already on the list. Seemed they were almost always full when we walked by too - and I remember Robert telling us the first time we did it that each resort could send a certain number of people. That last trip they had to call somebody else to ask if there was room though. I know we haven't done it for at least five or six years b/c Starla was still in school then.

Haven't been invited to a manager's breakfast since then either *sniff, sniff* :thinking-smiley: hmmmm, wonder if the fort manager hosts a daily invitation-to-breakfast like the resort idiots used to...

Are they still doing the VIP viewing in MK now Lou? Haven't seen them in the area we were in for years now but know the Illuminations area was still being done. Somebody, don't remember who, told me years ago they'd stopped the MK viewing.

My friend said that the VIP viewing at MK is part of dessert package now. Sounded like they will set up special viewing for organized groups though.

Most, not all, of the VIP viewing opportunities are at Epcot. That's where she works most of the time, although she's doing an event at MK this week.

And yes, I would get VIP viewing if I asked her, but I don't. I like to mingle with the little people, like Stef and Lisa.

And yes, I would get VIP viewing if I asked her, but I don't. I like to mingle with the little people, like Stef and Lisa.

:rotfl6:

Having done the MK dessert pckg twice now, I'd call that option more non-viewing than taking your chances ten minutes before on the curb would be. If those were broadway tickets, they'd definitely be "obstructed view". That said, I totally understand why they sell it the way they do. The desserts were great. I'd do it again in a heartbeat but I feel sorry for anyone who believes they'll see much of the parade or fireworks from the comfort of their table.

We got VIP viewing of Illuminations last year as part of the F&W Dessert Party.

The party itself was well worth the price of admission, but the VIP viewing was the icing on the cake.

We were in the area between the 2 shops at the entrance to World Showcase. And there weren't many of us so the view was perfect.

BTW, if you happen to find yourself there, and you aren't in the very first row along the fence, it's actually better to walk up near the back. There's a bit of a slope there and if you go back up near the top part of the area, it's a pretty clear shot over everyone's heads bunched up down along the rail.

• 2 weeks later...

Adding fuel to the "what the heck is NextGen FastPass question, paperwork was filed this week with Orange County for the following (excerpted from MousePlanet)...

• Epcot Land pavilion – queue modifications.
  • Epcot Land pavilion Soarin' – queue modifications.
  • Epcot Norway pavilion Maelstrom – queue modifications.
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios Rock 'n' Roller Coaster – queue modifications.
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios Epic Theater (Indiana Jones stunt show) – queue modifications.
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios Great Movie Ride – queue modifications.
  • Disney's Animal Kingdom Kilimanjaro Safaris – queue modifications.

Recently they have also filed for permits for queue modifications for The Land, Soarin', Rock 'n Roller Coaster, Epic Theater and The Great Movie Ride.

This is in addition to queue modifications already under way at Peter Pan, Spaceship Earth, Maelstrom and The Seas with Nemo and Friends.

http://www.mouseplan...d_Resort_Update

I wonder how it's going today with the new FP rules. Anyone who can report? Last week was the first time a CM commented on my FP return. He said, "a little late" but waved us through. So I guess they were starting to be trained on making those comments, only this week they will enforce?

I did notice the bar codes, and they could have been on before, don't know. I think I was just looking at it more closely. Also, it didn't allow us to get another FP for 2 hrs., previously I thought it was 1 hr?

There is a FASTPASS app for the iphone for trading FPs, which I've used before. I guess now it will get a lot of traffic.

Love to hear how it's going.

Ooh - a WDW app I don't have! Do tell....

I see it's no longer available at the App store. I just emailed them to ask about it. I used it last year, but I admit last week I didn't have to consult it since I got all the FPs I needed. So, I can't say if it still works. I'll let you know what I find out.

I do know previously you can also find FPs at Ebay :) Don't ask me how they do it, but they were offered.

Thanks!

I've heard of the guy(s) on eBay that promise to get you a day's worth of FP... for a fee.

I've yet to hear from a reliable source that they actually pull this off though - legitimately. Any possible "system" I can think up that might allow them to do this though goes right out the window once they start enforcing this. Even if they could still find a way to GET the FPs, it seems unlikely anyone could actually USE them all within the now-enforced return window.

Love to hear from someone there now how this is going so far.

From WDW Magic...

New wording on FASTPASS tickets to help with time enforcement

Mar 07, 2012

In an effort to help reinforce to guests that the FASTPASS return window is now being enforced, the FASTPASS tickets being issued today now include the notice "Not able to accommodate late arrivals" just beneath the return time text.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Other/FASTPASS/News/07Mar2012-New-wording-on-FASTPASS-tickets-to-help-with-time-enforcement.htm

From Inside the Magic...

One-hour FASTPASS return time window now enforced at Walt Disney World, leading to new ride reservation system

by Ricky BrigantePosted on March 7, 2012

Today Walt Disney World theme parks have begun actively enforcing a rule that was often bent since the debut of the FASTPASS system in 1999. Return times listed on FASTPASS tickets are now strictly enforced, no longer allowing theme park guests to use a FASTPASS at their leisure.

Guests obtain free FASTPASS tickets by inserting theme park tickets into FASTPASS machines, in return getting a one-hour time window that allows them to bypass the normal standby lines of many popular Disney attractions, rides, and shows – essentially a ride reservation. But while the beginning of that window was always strictly adhered to, not allowing guests to use a FASTPASS beforehand, the ending time was almost always overlooked, giving guests the opportunity to return at their convenience any time after the FASTPASS becomes valid.

But as of today, Walt Disney World is now enforcing both the beginning and end times, allowing guests holding a FASTPASS to only return during the one-hour window stated on the FASTPASS slip. It may sound like an undesirable change that will further limit flexibility in a busy theme park schedule, but it’s not actually a new rule. Though the return time window has often been ignored, the basis of the FASTPASS system lies within this return window. It’s simply now Walt Disney World’s decision to finally start enforcing the rule that’s been there since the beginning. And though it will affect regulars who know how to use the FASTPASS leniency to their advantage, most Walt Disney World guests already do return during the designated time window and likely won’t notice much of a difference.

There will always be, of course, exceptions to the rule. If an attraction becomes temporarily closed or guests are somehow otherwise prevented from visiting an attraction due to circumstances out of their control, Cast Members stationed at FASTPASS return areas will surely continue Disney’s long-standing tradition of doing whatever they can to make guests happy. But it does mean guests will need to pay closer attention to posted return times when grabbing a FASTPASS in the first place, as to not overlap times with dining reservations, parades, or anything else that might draw attention away from the desired attraction.

To make the change clear to theme park regulars who are used to disregarding the second time printed on a FASTPASS, Disney has added signs to FASTPASS machines property-wide, like this one:

fastpass-sign.jpg

The daily time and information guide that accompanies theme park maps also has added a note that reads:

“To ensure you have the best experience possible, please remember to return to FASTPASS attractions within your return time window (printed on FASTPASS tickets).”

FASTPASS tickets also now include the phrase, “Not able to accommodate late arrivals.”

Walt Disney World is certainly making it clear to all visitors that the former lax treatment of FASTPASS rules is no longer available and that all guests will need to strictly adhere to the FASTPASS rules. But why the sudden change of attitude?

Just over a year ago, in February 2011 at a Disney investors conference, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts chairman Tom Staggs confirmed Disney is working on a system from which those planning a trip to Walt Disney World will be able to make ride reservations from outside the parks, even from home before the trip begins.

Staggs said, “…we are currently developing an innovative system that will, in essence, create a version of FASTPASS for their entire Disney vacations. Now we define the guest experience as beginning from the time a potential guest sits down at a computer or picks up a phone to make a reservation. [...] They’ll be able to create a personalized itinerary that gives them the exact Disney vacation they want.”

Though that revelation was met with mixed reactions from Disney theme park fans, it’s likely that the new FASTPASS rule enforcement is directly related to the yet-to-be-revealed ride reservation system, rumored to be dubbed “X-Pass” or “xPass” (or a variety of other names). With Disney planning to add a more advanced ride reservation ability, the current FASTPASS system must be completely under their control, knowing exactly when and how many guests will be returning, expecting to “skip” the line.

The change is likely to cause some frustration among those who have grown used to the convenience of using a FASTPASS any time later in the day, but ultimately just as FASTPASS was a revolutionary addition to the parks in the late ’90s, the new “xPass” system (or whatever it might be called) is being designed to revolutionize, enhance, and minimize the act of mindlessly waiting in line, allowing for more entertainment and enjoyment out of a Disney theme park visit.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2012/03/one-hour-fastpass-return-time-window-now-enforced-at-walt-disney-world-leading-to-new-ride-reservation-system/

More from Screamscape...

(3/9/12) It’s official, Walt Disney World (but not Disneyland) has begun enforcing the end of th2012_0308_FPPolicy.jpge 1-hour window on FastPass tickets. Signs are now posted as each FastPass station to alert guests to the new crackdown, along with additional text added to the tickets themselves stating that last arrivals will not be accommodated. If that wasn’t enough to drive it home, the Cast Members are also verbally informing guests as they get passes that the policy has changed. Thanks to a reader for sending in pics of the new signs.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/walt_disney_world_resort.htm#General

That article says that CMs are informing guests that the policy has changed. Wrong, the policy hasn't changed, it's the same as it's always been. It's the enforcemnt of that policy that's changed.

I always returned within the two hour window and didn't realize that others were abusing the system.

Well it's all over now slackers. Use it or loose it.

Those guests from the deluxe resorts need to use their Next Gen Fastpasses, so get out of the way and let them by.

I always returned within the two hour window and didn't realize that others were abusing the system.

Well it's all over now slackers. Use it or loose it.

**hanging my head in shame** I bet you didn't know those FPs could even be used on a different day... like, oh say, July 4th when they're not giving out any FPs at all. **sigh**

I know it's just existing rule enforcement but it'll change the way we handle some busy park days...

From The Disney Blog. There's a lot of speculation in here, but still an interesting article...

Disney’s Next-Gen Problem

Posted on March 20, 2012 by John Frost

tsmm-fastpass.jpg

TSMM Fast pass machines ready and waiting

When you head off to Walt Disney World the next time, will you remember to bring your iPhone? Don’t have one or don’t want to bring it with you? Don’t worry. You’re not alone, in fact smart phone adoption is still just above 50%. That’s turning out to be a problem for xPass one of Walt Disney World’s billion dollar technology programs collectively known as Next-Gen.

As Disney CEO Bog Iger has outlined it, xPass, the future of the theme park vacation lies in the ability to book your next Fastpass, Dining Reservation, Parade Viewing Location, or other comodifiable part of your vacation from your internet enabled device either instantly while in the park or at home before you arrive (and then manage it on your device while on vacation). It’s a terrific idea, the problem is there isn’t near enough adoption of these devices to make the technology work.

There also appear to be small scale failures even now. As you may recall, as of March 7th, Disney World shifted over to more strict enforcement of the Fastpass Return time. With the change, you now have to walk all the way across the park to get your Fastpass only to take a chance that the return time will conflict with a dinner reservation, your kids nap, or the afternoon parade. Not a pleasant experience when the park is crowded and the sun hot.

Thankfully, Disney has released a piece of technology that will save you that walk. Disney Park’s Mobile Magic not only gives you the park map, attraction, entertainment, and dining listings, but you can also get current wait times, including standby wait, fastpass availability, and fastpass return times. With Mobile Magic you can decide which Fastpass to get next the moment your window opens.

The only problem is that technology isn’t perfect. This weekend marked the third time I’ve checked Mobile Magic for Fastpass availability only to have multiple attractions not show up. Since I was on Main Street I moseyed over to the information board. Sure enough, both attractions were up and operating just fine with all systems go on Fastpass as well. But somehow, the system that connects Fastpass and the FLIK cards that measure wait time to Mobile Magic wasn’t functioning.

That’s not that big of a problem for Mobile Magic, which is a free service, albeit one made more valuable by the change to Fastpass return time enforcement. But when Disney starts to charge for xPass and other Next-Gen technologies, these sorts of technology failures will be alot hard to shake off.

I’m very much looking forward to all that Next-Gen can bring to the parks. xPass is just the tip of the iceberg. Really. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom only hints at the sort of overlay that Next-Gen will make possible. Want a hint? Keep an eye on Google and the sort of technology coming out of its research labs.

Still, Disney will have to overcome many basic problems like technology adoption, system failures, and training all while people are on vacation trying to relax. That may be one mountain even Disney isn’t able to summit.

http://thedisneyblog.com/2012/03/20/disneys-next-gen-problem/