Share your entertainment set ups

Nothing too high-tech here. We have the small TV and DVD player that I take out of my office. The kids always take books, and we have a cabinet of board games, dice, and cards. My son keeps a box of Leggos in there, too.

I try to keep them out of the camper and playing outside as much as possible. My oldest will retire to book reading later in the evening, my son will be watching a movie, and my middle one will be out enjoying the fire with us. If it's not too brezzy we'll be playing games on the picnic table as long as we have enough light.

We have one 19 inch tv in the TT.  We took the Wii and DVD player.  Apparently our kids prefer to watch Disney Cable if they watched any at all.  However, the 5 year old dual screen portable dvd player for the truck was a life saver!!  For music, I just open up the laptop and itunes.

TV, wii, playstation 2.

Also bring bikes and they always load the trailer up w/ a bunch of toys.  Last trip they opened a window in the bunkhouse and threw a Webkinz on top of the trailer and we forgot to get it down so its a goner.

Also bought the kids electric scooters but haven't been back to the fort yet to use them.  Took them to Ft. Desoto over New Years but it was too dusty to use them.

• 4 weeks later...

We've only got the little TV that came with the camper, and usually aren't even anywhere where there's cable hookup. So, I usually try to remember to bring a Netflix movie. Other than that, one cabinet is dedicated to entertainment stuff, but it's along the lines of kites, ladderball, that cool Crazy Campers 3D puzzle that I'd link to if I could figure out how, and this annoying-yet-addictive marble/baseball thing that you bounce the metal ball off a tiny trampoline to get it through a scoring hole, various card games, mancala, etc.

We're fairly low-tech campers, lol!

We have the 10"under cabinet TV/DVD player inside and AM/FM/XM/CD player with inside and outside speakers. We also bring a 19" flatscreeen along with a cable splitter to watch outside. We have netbooks and tethering on the droid for online access. Kahlua, Amaretto, and other friends usually join us for the ride and at the Fort there are always Fiends around!

I have seen some parents bring blow up projection screens, Xboxes and other elaborate ways to entertain the little ones when  when hanging out at the site - share your toys here.

Um, whipp, the blow up projection screens are for the big kids!!! Gotta watch football and NASCAR while camping ya know!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen some parents bring blow up projection screens, Xboxes and other elaborate ways to entertain the little ones when  when hanging out at the site - share your toys here.

Um, whipp, the blow up projection screens are for the big kids!!! Gotta watch football and NASCAR while camping ya know!!!!!

For Christmas we Bring our mickey projection screen and play disney movies, for the kids and everyone else that comes by and wants to watch.

This is our entertainment setup....

4160664995_03ddba89d6_z.jpg?zz=1

We camped with my brother and SIL last summer.  My 18 mos nephew was getting cranky until we wheeled his stroller over and parked him in front of the mutts, who were racing around with their toys and water jugs like lunatics.

Kept the little guy happy for a solid hour! 

2 years before the dogs were racing around in the a.m. on the sand pad on long lines.  Our neighbors 4 kids were lined up along the edge of their site sitting on the ground eating their cereal watching "the dog show!"

who needs video??

Ya know...when I was a kid my family set up for the summer at a local campground. 2 tents and a dining tarp that my dad designed.  We set up by Memorial Day and broke camp by Labor Day.  Mom & Dad commuted to work and left us 3 kids (Al & other brother were teens & I was about 8 when we first started doing this).  Even though my dad was in the appliance business, we had no TV set for the entire summer because the campground didn't have electricity at the sites! I really can't remember all that we did to occupy our time, but it mostly consisted of swimming, hanging with other kids, and stuff like that.  I don't remember missing television at all during the summer.  Heck, I don't remember being indoors much at all when I was a kid, except for in the evening - even during those nasty Buffalo winters.  We were too busy playing in the woods, in the fields, playing baseball or kickball, building forts (snow forts and forts from tree branches), riding bikes,  having summer long Monopoly tournaments, ice skating, snowball fights, and sledding in the winter.

When we got older, the pinocle tournaments began.

If we got bored while camping, my dad would have us go and fill up water jugs (5 gallon) to keep at the campsite.  There were no hook-up's at the campground.  Just a common water spigot that everyone filled their jugs from and a bath room that was nothing more than a giant, enclosed outhouse with a couple of shower stalls.  If I had to do that now, I wouldn't bother camping.  :D

Now - perhaps I should change my name back to "The Older Than Dirt Lady"?

I'm with you Deb! Back in 1969-72, we camped in our pop-up. Daddy was in the USAF and we camped from Florida to California, as well as living in it until we got base housing. We did not have a TV so we played lots of card games, board games, swam, biked, ran around like chickens with our heads cut off and just had a good time. Edward and I played Battleship often, I'm sure I won most of the time! :D

Fast forward to when my son was younger, 1992-1999. We had a tv with bunny ears. Mama & Daddy had a tv/vcr with a bunch of OLD disney movies; The Ugly Dachshound, Herbie, the Parent Trap etc. and lots of Three Stooges and Red Skelton videos. Chris and his friends that he would gather around the campgrounds loved watching them when it was raining.

Now, we're going to have a tv, just in case we want it. We bring at least one laptop. We have already got some new cards and our Yahtzee ready!