Business up front, party in the back....Ft Pickens TR (few pics)

No, this isn't a TR about mullets. Although, I did see a few.

Nope, this is a TR about a work/play trip. 7 days....4 days of work training and the remainder spent relaxing.

So the original plan was to roll out with the entire family for a Sunday to Sunday trip. My wife's family lives in Gulf Breeze so she would hang with them while I was at work. But plans had to change. My wife signed a new position at work, and her training conflicted with the trip.

So I had the bright idea to leave early (Friday) with the kids. My plan was to spend two nights at Blackwater River SP having some quality dad/daughters time, then drop the kids off at the inlaws on Sunday. The wife would then join us on Thursday night...only taking off one day.

Well the weather fouled up my plans royally, I had checked the weather prior to making my BRSP reservations. The forecast called for the bad weather to stay well to the north. Trigger=pulled. Then the forecast was changed, and the severe weather potential was pushed further south. After some hand wrenching I decided to play it safe and push back my departure to Sunday. $40 for reservations=up a wild hog's arse. I hate ReserveAmerica.

Luckily, the bad weather went all around us. There was some damage close by our house, but we were good.

I loaded up and hitched up Saturday. Bright and early on Sunday we were on the road. I had a long talk with the DD's (5 & 6) about being good on the drive down, since I was solo with them. Luckily, they were really good, and the 6 hr trip was incredibly smooth, except for some gnarly wind.

We rolled into Ft. Pickens a bit after lunch on Sunday. I had reserved a nice shady site months ago. I had eyeballed this site last Memorial Day. Shady sites are hard to come by nowadays. When I checked in the lady at the desk peered out at our rig and said "I don't think you'll fit, and we are booked solid". Oops.....at this point I am cautiously optimistic. I am counting on my memory being correct about the layout of this site.

So down the road we go. After making my way to the site I looked at the overhanging tree limbs, tree lined road, and parked vehicles....at that point I said to myself "!@#$%^&*". I attempted one shot at it, but the neighbors truck was in the way. Thank goodness they were sitting outside and offered to move. Then the husband offered to watch for me, since I didn't have a copilot.

I circled back around the CG and lined up for another attempt. I had attracted 3 more guys who had come for the show. (Now, I don't like to brag, but I can back with the best of them. Years of pulling has helped out ;-) ) They didn't think a short bed truck with a 40 ft 5'er was going to back into this site. This is when the $$ spent on a Reese Sidewinder hitch paid off. I can go past 90 degrees with the truck and trailer. With the trailer nearly hitting a tree on the right, my front bumper nearly hitting one on the left, and the 5'er side barely missing the big limbs....I made it in one motion. Like a boss! The truck had to be parked in overflow, but I was happy with that.

I set things up fairly quickly and busted out the bikes. The girls and I looped and rode the trails around the CG. Later on we cooked some burgers on the grill. It was a good evening with them. That night I dropped them off at the inlaws.

The next four days was spent getting up early for work and eating/drinking nicely in the evening. I <3 per diem.

The ocean was crazy for the first 4 or 5 days. It was a red flag every day. The waves were really crashing. I would sleep with the windows open. It sounded like the camper was on the beach. Very peaceful way to turn in, for sure.

The weather was also quite cool. It was definitely light jacket and pant weather at night and in the mornings.

The wife (and dog) finally made it down on Thursday night.

Friday turned out to be quite rainy in the morning, but by late afternoon it was past. Some ny strips were slayed that night, along with roasted red potatoes and corn on the cob.

On Saturday the wife and kids went to Destin with the inlaws for shopping and lunch at the Back Porch. They all complained about the food there.....which is unusual for that place. I stayed back at the camper to dog sit and chillax. I walked the entire CG and made notes on which site were good for us. I am going all nerd like and compiling a spreadsheet. That afternoon I explored every part of the fort.

Saturday night I worked some magic on two huge pork chops with potatoes and fresh green beans.

Sunday was a travel day home....I hated to leave. It was a pretty good trip. I just wish that my wife could have come down earlier.

Ready to roll out

20120304_073304.jpg

The garage was packed...the bigger the camper..the more junk you take :-/

20120303_123048-1.jpg

I really like the old Florida feel of Ft Pickens

20120304_142801.jpg

That's eight Diesel Fuels from Flounders...those things are lethal.

20120305_205141.jpg

It is not too often that you see a tanker entering Pensacola Bay. This made the local news.

20120305_171218.jpg

The End

I just love it when they tell you that you won't fit, then prove them wrong. With our group they always make sure I get the hard site to back into or else I and up putting someone's camper in the site for them. Great pictures the beach looks great!!!!

Wow, talk about short but sweet!

Great report.

I love the title.

And the content.

And the photos.

Good for you for taking the girls even though Mom had to stay back and work.

I have enjoyed many Dad and the girls trips over the years, and I hope that you get to do the same.

Thanks for sharing!

TCD

p.s.- It sounds like you may have a lot of photos of the campground, I'd love to see them!

Sounds like a nice week! Too bad about the wind, but at least the severe stuff stayed away from you.

You really make me anxious to get out camping. Relaxing, grilling, drinking....sounds good!

It was......it is camping time fo sho.

Sounds like you had a great week.

:holysheep: That's a beautiful 5th wheel you have there.

Thanks! We love it.

Sounds like a fun time. I love the view of the beach.

I have to ask...what are Diesel Fuels? You drank 8 of them by yourself? :hah:

Diesel Fuels are a twist on a long island tea....only with more octane. They will destroy you. No, I only had one, and I was sideways half way through it.

Awesome report!!

Thanks!

I just love it when they tell you that you won't fit, then prove them wrong. With our group they always make sure I get the hard site to back into or else I and up putting someone's camper in the site for them. Great pictures the beach looks great!!!!

Ha! it is an acquired art for some.

The beach there is nice.

Wow, talk about short but sweet!

Great report.

I love the title.

And the content.

And the photos.

Good for you for taking the girls even though Mom had to stay back and work.

I have enjoyed many Dad and the girls trips over the years, and I hope that you get to do the same.

Thanks for sharing!

TCD

p.s.- It sounds like you may have a lot of photos of the campground, I'd love to see them!

Thanks. Your trips are what gave me the idea of a dad and girls trip.

I didn't take site pics...only notes about ones that I really liked. The reserve america site has good pics of each site.

Love Ft Pickens (DH's family is from PNS), have you camped at Blackwater before? We love that campground but the last time we were there it was flooded and we couldn't get around real well, all trails under water as well as par of the road.

No, I haven't been to Blackwater. I hope to get there soon.