David and Gwen Battle the Spring Break Crowds

Lou, what kind of dog is that you have in your avatar? She (he?) looks kind of similar to our dog which is a maltese/yorkie mix.

That's our little Buddy and your right, he does have some Yorkie in him.

He's a floppy eared Silky Terrier that we groom with the Schnauzer cut.

Silky's are a mix between a true Yorkie and the Australian Terrier. Basically they look like larger Yorkies, about 10lbs instead of 6 lbs, but unlike most Yorkies, he's very mellow, loves people, especially kids, but not too crazy about interacting with other dogs.

He's great. We'd love to get another one just like him, but they're hard to find.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We interrupt this program to bring you a special report. Lou doesn't have a bald spot any more!

I've been pulling weeds in my flower garden and really needed a break!

Leaving day is SO SAD!!!!

Yes, and it doesn't matter how long you've been there. I think I'd feel the same way if we'd been there six months! (But I'd like to find out.)

It is, but it's one day closer to the next trip to the Fort.

Thanks, Lou. That's a great way of looking at it.

She is so cute!

Lou, what kind of dog is that you have in your avatar? She (he?) looks kind of similar to our dog which is a maltese/yorkie mix.

CCIntrigue, those pictures of your driving out are among the saddest I've seen. I can relate to that horrible feeling when your vacation is over.

Thanks. I guess my feelings came through in the pictures.

Great trip report and wonderful pictures!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry that you had to go home but glad you had a safe trip.

Thank you too!

That's our little Buddy and your right, he does have some Yorkie in him.

He's a floppy eared Silky Terrier that we groom with the Schnauzer cut.

Silky's are a mix between a true Yorkie and the Australian Terrier. Basically they look like larger Yorkies, about 10lbs instead of 6 lbs, but unlike most Yorkies, he's very mellow, loves people, especially kids, but not too crazy about interacting with other dogs.

He's great. We'd love to get another one just like him, but they're hard to find.

Lou, next time we meet you must bring Buddy! I'm sure he and Kassie would get along great!

:)) Gwen, I too have many "through a dirty windshield" pictures and every trip I say Darn, I should've cleaned the windshield! And the next trip rolls around and I do it all over again!

I hate leaving the Fort, but I do like Cracker Barrel!

I don't want this trip report to end!

Neither do I. That means the trip is officially over, a distant memory. But hopefully more to come in the fall!

:)) Gwen, I too have many "through a dirty windshield" pictures and every trip I say Darn, I should've cleaned the windshield! And the next trip rolls around and I do it all over again!

Glad I'm not the only one!

Awesome report. Loved the pics!

Thank you for following along!

Okay, time to bite the dust and post my final installment. It's sad. I wish I could keep going and going with the trip. But all good things must come to an end. So here goes.

Last Thoughts/Wrap Up

Remember I said David bought me a Minnie because it reminded him of me? These two sat side by side on the dash of the moho since day three of our trip:

DSCN9182.jpg

Every day I looked at them and contemplated David's remark. I wasn't sure how to take it.

Then about four days later it started hitting me ... this Mickey reminds me of David, too! These two are so us as a couple!

David is the introverted one ... I'm definitely an extrovert. Although I must say his part-time job chauffering around visitors at Wake Forest University has made him much more comfortable around strangers. Lou visited and David just fell right into the conversation!

David is a homebody ... I love getting out of the house or moho and meeting people -- the more the merrier!

David enjoys a quiet evening with family or good friends ... I want excitement! I can't stand sitting still.

David's idea of vacation is relaxation ... my idea is go, go, go! Do everything you can't do at home! Take advantage of every single minute!

David is black and white about most things ... they either are or they aren't ... I'm more colorful in the way I perceive things.

David likes plain food ... I like mine kicked up a notch.

Minnie is flirting with Mickey but he's oblivious ... so like us.

David is plan ahead ... I love spontaneous.

David is a plain dresser. Nothing flashy for him. I love dressing up in bright colors. (Maybe now I'm learning where Cailyn gets her fashion sense!)

David is technologically inhibited ... he won't even use VoiceMail. I try to stay on the cutting edge of technology.

I could go on and on ... but you catch my drift.

The bottom line is that David and I have been together over 40 years. We complement each other perfectly. He keeps me in check, and I think I add excitement to his life!

David, you made a good purchase.

Reflections:

It's relatively easy to diet in Disney World -- if you can resist all the temptations! The food choices are certainly available.

This was a very different vacation because of the crowds. Some pros, some cons.

We spent a lot more time hanging around the fort this trip -- mainly because of the crowds in the parks. I think we saw about every square inch of the fort except those areas that require long hikes to get into. And it was nice.

Firsts:

We got spiked! Priceless!

Seeing Fiends that we hadn't met before -- Karla, Family of Bears aka Brandy, Lou, Carol and Rick, and Angie -- awesome!

Nemo the Musical -- it was great! We both really enjoyed it.

Animation Academy -- I had a good time but David didn't like it. It was harder than I thought it would be.

Beauty and the Beast -- another great show! I enjoyed it more than David because he didn't know the storyline.

Cape May -- I thought it was great, David didn't.

Big River Grille & Brewing Works -- wouldn't recommend it.

Boardwalk area -- ho hum.

Magic Kingdom rope drop -- great!

Liberty Bell Tavern -- yummy! The best burgers in the World!

Advance ADRs at the CP so we could get into MK before opening -- so worth it!

Norway chapel -- interesting for a quick change of pace or to duck out of the rain or heat (thanks, TCD, for that idea).

Moroccan museum -- worth seeing.

Japan art exhibit -- we weren't impressed.

Voyage of the Little Mermaid -- another great show! It was just too short.

Handprints at the Chinese Theater -- interesting! Definitely worth a look.

Tables in Wonderland -- broke even on this trip, but in the fall we'll definitely save money! Hoping to get 3 trips on this TIW and our APs to save even more!

It’s been a long time:

American Adventure – it was great. Bought a CD of the singers. Will definitely visit again soon.

Universe of Energy – and it will be a long time again.

Hall of Presidents – may never go back!

O Canada – Martin Short’s involvement made it better. Worth seeing every few trips.

Snow White – glad we experienced it again since it will be closed before we return.

Swiss Family Treehouse – interesting, but my arthritic knees didn’t thank me afterward!

Muppets -- it was okay, nothing to write home about.

Regrets:

David had horrible allergy issues most of the trip.

I wasted too much time sitting around waiting for him to feel up to going out, especially at night.

Didn't make it to the pool. Would you believe we've been visiting the fort for 26 years and have never been in either pool? Not even when the kids were small! But in our defense when they were small we visited River Country and swam in Bay Lake.

We’ve never seen Fantasmic and didn’t make it again this trip.

Didn't get to see the Flag Retreat at MK (have never seen it either).

Still haven't experienced Splash Mountain. David doesn't like big drops and doesn't like to get wet ... he felt bad for days and I just couldn't talk him into it. Same with Kali.

Crowds were so bad that we didn't see half what we could have seen otherwise.

Wasn’t ready to go home when we had to leave. There were so many more things I wanted to see/do! 12 nights isn’t nearly long enough! Why can’t I live here ??? Does lack of money have something to do with it?

And I'll leave you with this (I love the sound of the boat horn!):

Sorry, I thought I understood how to upload from YouTube, but it didn't work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyXTIXbJTxw&feature=g-upl&context=G269c9dcAUAAAAAAAAAA

Super duper finish Gwen!!

Love all your pros, cons & reflections.

Don't stress about the things you didn't get to see, think of it as things to look forward to on your next trip.

Great Job!!! :jumpforjoy

Gwen-

Your final thoughts are awesome.

I don't like the regrets part.

You are coming back later this year.

Instead of calling them regrets, you ought to call them your to-do list.

I think it's good that you haven't done everything.

It gives you some new things to look forward to when you come back.

Congratulations on your 40 years with David.

That is a rare thing these days.

Maybe you are both very different, but you both seem to love the Fort.

And that is a good thing!

TCD

has made him much more comfortable around strangers. Lou visited and David just fell right into the conversation!

I never would have guessed that David was a little introverted.

Our conversation felt like we had known each other all along.

Our visit was very enjoyable.

Don't stress about the things you didn't get to see, think of it as things to look forward to on your next trip.

Instead of calling them regrets, you ought to call them your to-do list.

You are both exactly right! These things are now my to do list!

I never would have guessed that David was a little introverted.

Our conversation felt like we had known each other all along.

Our visit was very enjoyable.

Lou, you're such an easy person to talk to. You made David feel comfortable. We very much enjoyed the visit too!

Thanks for the TR -loved it

The crowds won't be anything like this in Oct. and if you can add a couple of more days to your trip you can go to the MVMCP too.

See you in OIct some where in the 700 loop--- I hope.

1 thing I found to helput the dark ride photos is to adjust the white balance of your camera. I carry a white peice of paper with me and set the white balance to it while standing in line. it makes my POTC go from very dark and yellow/ grainy to good photos.

Thanks for the TR -loved it

The crowds won't be anything like this in Oct. and if you can add a couple of more days to your trip you can go to the MVMCP too.

See you in OIct some where in the 700 loop--- I hope.

1 thing I found to helput the dark ride photos is to adjust the white balance of your camera. I carry a white peice of paper with me and set the white balance to it while standing in line. it makes my POTC go from very dark and yellow/ grainy to good photos.

Thanks for reading along!

We've been to MVMCP twice and probably will never go back. I do hope we get to see some of the Christmas decorations while we are there.

Hope to see you in Oct too!

Thank you for the suggestion of adjusting the white balance. Have to find my manual -- can't remember how to do it. Think I left it in the moho. But one of my problems is that I'm not shooting with an SLR. I have a Nikon P7000 which has all the functionality of an SLR but without interchangeable lenses. I can't carry the weight of an SLR around all day in WDW. So I'm stuck with an f2.8 lens and adjusting my ISO to try and compensate. I can go up to 3200 but it seems to work best at 1600.

You did a great job!!! It took me forever to read the whole thing but I got it done!!

KN_SmileyBouquet_GreatJob.gif

Thank you, thank you!

Wait a minute! I'm all caught up and you're done?? Can you squeak out just one more update?

So what did you think of the Southern Smothered Hot Dog?

Oh, and don't you love that Cracker Barrel has a whole section of their menu of low carb offerings?

I only wish I could squeak out another update! But in October we'll be there a few days longer, there will be more Fields there, and my TR should be a lot longer!

I really enjoy the SSHDs. The barbecue is entirely different from what we eat here, but I don't think our Lexington-style barbecue would be good on a hot dog. And those homemade chips -- I always have a few of them!

Yes, I love that CB has so many low carb offerings. But I have to confess that I don't get them often. At breakfast I always get the LC double meat breakfast. But for lunch or dinner I love their homemade chicken salad. It's not many more carbs, and usually I'm just not in the mood for 3 servings of turnip greens. I don't like most of their veggies -- too plain for my taste.

Wait a minute! I'm all caught up and you're done?? Can you squeak out just one more update?

Oh, Dave, I forgot! There is just one little detail about Lou's visit that I forgot to mention:

PHLouandGwen-1.jpg

David was afraid of getting caught, so he volunteered to stay on the ground and take our picture.

And of course we didn't find Melvin. We all know he resides in Lou's living room now!