David and Gwen Battle the Spring Break Crowds

Okay, let's get this trip report started. I'm anxious to relive every moment. But I'll warn you that it will be slow going ... I have lots of photo editing to do before I can post everything.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 – Hurry Up and Wait

I’m so excited! Our first two-week vacation in the moho, hereafter referred to as Dolly (because of her big, well, you know, and her booming voice).

We planned to leave home at 4:00 am, so we set the alarm clock for 3:15. We were both awake at 3:00. At 4 everything looked good.

David was just picking up last minute things – cell phone, etc., so I went out and sat in Dolly. Her engine was warming up, to the chagrin of our neighbors. I sat and sat … you know the “hurry up and wait” game.

Finally 20 minutes later David arrived … wait, he has to do a few more things. I’m used to this. He’s always late. We finally pulled out of the driveway at 4:30. We were trying to get through Charlotte, NC, before the traffic got too heavy. I-77 through the city can be brutal.

We breezed through Charlotte and Columbia and stopped at Cracker Barrel for breakfast. Got back on the road and were amazed at the RVs heading north on I-95. The only thing we could figure out was that since it was the first day of the month lots of snowbirders were heading home.

It felt so good to be going south! We overnighted in St. Augustine at the Flying J. That’s always an interesting experience.

Friday, March 2, 2012 – What’s Our Neighbor?

We woke up the next morning and saw our interesting neighbor. I can only describe it as a homemade popup Class C truck camper. I wish I had a photo, but I didn’t want to be seen in the middle of the parking lot at 4am taking flash pictures of strangers. Just imagine an old, battered truck with a homemade camper in the bed -- the camper also covered the cab and popped up about 3 feet. We'd never seen anything like it but had to applaud the builder's ingenuity.

Pulled out about 4:30. Hoped to avoid rush hour through Orlando. We hit very dense fog and had to make our way slowly down I-4. The traffic in Orlando at 6am was amazingly heavy, but we got through it fairly quickly. We arrived onto Disney property about 6:30 and were so grateful to be out of the worst of the fog! Our first stop was:

20120302GuestRelations.jpg

at DTD so we could pick up our APs before check-in.

Notice it’s still foggy:

20120302fultonscrabhouse.jpg

Since we had an AP discount for the site, we thought it would be a good idea to actually have them for check-in. Were we asked for our APs ????

No! Can anyone get AP discount? Apparently so!

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We interrupt this program to bring you a special report. Lou doesn't have a bald spot any more!

Day Two, Part Two

Then we headed over to the fort. Couldn't wait to get there!

20120302Disneywelcomesign.jpg

DSCN9197.jpg

This is always a welcome sight:

20120302Outpost.jpg

Yea, no waiting!

We checked in at 9:30, and our site wasn’t ready. The CM tried to tell us that we couldn’t take our trailer onto the site – we argued that we’ve done it many times and weren’t about to leave the trailer in the overflow lot because of the number of thefts that have been reported there.

She wasn’t very knowledgeable and wasn’t very nice about it.

She said she had worked at the fort for a year and had never known anyone to take their trailer to their site, that the overflow lot was patrolled by the Orange County police, and that’s where were supposed to leave it.

We again refused, and she got on the phone to someone who apparently corrected her. She was a little nicer after that.

So we went to the overflow lot and unloaded the golf cart (hereafter referred to as DeeDee, short for Disney Delight). As soon as we finished, we got a call that our site was ready. We were assigned to 708. It was a real bear to get onto the site because David had to back the trailer to his right and couldn't see. It took multiple tries. But once we got Dolly situated it was great. We found out (by eavesdropping on the CM) that 707 and 708 are the largest sites in the 700 loop. And, btw, we weren’t the only people in the 700 loop to have a trailer!

Our favorite loop:

20120302700loopsign.jpg

Us on 708:

Uson708.jpg

I’ll never understand how David can back up with a trailer … I’ve tried and tried, but I simply can’t do it. I have great respect for anyone who can. Years ago I tried to back the boat trailer into my BIL's driveway. It took me 45 minutes to get it in ... meanwhile my FIL stood on the back deck laughing at me the entire time ... I never did like that old man ... he was a really strange person.

We were across the street from Dave the Castle Guy and three sites down from Karla. Within an hour of arriving I was passing out FortFiends cards. Neighbors were asking if we were a grand gathering (yea, FF signs!).

Then we hopped on DeeDee and went to visit Carol and Rick.

20120302GwenCarolRick.jpg

They were packing up to leave, so we didn’t stay long. But it was great meeting them! Later David and I worried about them driving into the bad weather situation.

After we got Dolly all set up I went to the trading post to check out the new fort merchandise. Got a T-shirt and magnet. David doesn’t like the “great place to get lost” slogan – he thinks it sounds too yuppy!

DSCN9207.jpg

20120302Meadowtradingpost1.jpg

We went to the MK for dinner. Nothing fancy, just taco salads at Pecos Bill’s. The park was very busy.

20120302UsatentrancetotheMK.jpg

I don't feel like I'm at WDW until I see the castle:

20120302greatcastleshot.jpg

Aah, I'm home.

Walked through the Emporium:

20120302poorminnie.jpg

20120302mickeyandminnie.jpg

20120302Mickeysquished.jpg

And then we came back to the fort and crashed. It had been a long two days!

20120302Settlementtradingpost1.jpg

DSCN9213.jpg

DSCN9212.jpg

DSCN9206.jpg

I'm in Gwen! Can't wait to see all your pics.

Don't feel bad, it takes me 30 minute to back up my boat and it's only 16 feet long. And yes, hubby laughs at me the whole time. :hah:

Hmmm- it looks like I'll be the first to comment after the photos were inserted.

EXCELLENT!

Great photos and great writing!

Boo to the CM you had at check-in. Would it be so hard for management to train these people better? Just when I think I have heard and seen it all, I will sometimes get an amazing gem of absolutely wrong information from them.

And not to be too critical, but I think you left something important out. You told us the name of your motorhome and golf cart. What about the trailer? It must have a name too?

Keep up the good work, and don't worry if it takes a long time, with that great beginning, I'm sure you will have plenty of readers along for the ride.

TCD

So much fun reading your report! You said it was crowded. We were there from Feb 25-Mar 2 at our DVC Boardwalk. But, we go that same week every year because our DD runs Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon. Parks are usually not as busy at that time, it gets worse after that week. Even though Princess was the most they've ever had, still not like the start of Spring Break. So we will go again next year.

Hope we see you there, and also in December of this year! I look forward to hearing more about your trip.

Hmmm- it looks like I'll be the first to comment after the photos were inserted.

EXCELLENT!

Great photos and great writing!

Boo to the CM you had at check-in. Would it be so hard for management to train these people better? Just when I think I have heard and seen it all, I will sometimes get an amazing gem of absolutely wrong information from them.

And not to be too critical, but I think you left something important out. You told us the name of your motorhome and golf cart. What about the trailer? It must have a name too?

Keep up the good work, and don't worry if it takes a long time, with that great beginning, I'm sure you will have plenty of readers along for the ride.

TCD

Thanks, Andrew. I struggle to make things interesting when I write. It's usually just the facts for me. I'm gonna try to keep this more upbeat and interesting.

That CM was unique. Very dry. No "welcome, we're glad you're here, welcome home," or anything like that. Just down to business. As you can imagine, our conversation with her was actually longer and more intense than I wrote above.

No, we haven't named the trailer. I'll have to ask David for suggestions. I'll get back to you on that one.

Great so far.. looking forward to more. :popcorn:

Thanks, Jeff.

great Start! I'm in.

Thank you too!

Came by the fort last Saturday and saw your site but didn't look like much activity so I kept going. I'm in the report as well.

So sorry we missed you! David was probably there taking a nap. He wasn't feeling well. I, on the other hand, was making the most of my day. More about that later.

So much fun reading your report! You said it was crowded. We were there from Feb 25-Mar 2 at our DVC Boardwalk. But, we go that same week every year because our DD runs Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon. Parks are usually not as busy at that time, it gets worse after that week. Even though Princess was the most they've ever had, still not like the start of Spring Break. So we will go again next year.

Hope we see you there, and also in December of this year! I look forward to hearing more about your trip.

We were planning to go in February but had to delay because of my father's illness. We won't go in March again!

Haven't decided yet whether we'll go for F&W and again in Feb or just go first part of December. Will depend on finances whether we can squeeze that third trip in. But hope to see you again too!

I think you should have a contest and let the Fiends name it!

Let's see, if Dolly is the motorhome.

And Dee Dee is the golf cart.

Then what would be a good name for the trailer?

Hmmm.

I got nothin'

TCD

David came up with a name for the trailer ... you won't believe it! It's Dimples! It has something to do with the pattern on the floor.

:suspense:

Thanks! Hope I can keep you entertained!

Awesome start!!! I actually thought you had made that first pic of Fulton's B&W, but then I looked at it again, it's just fog!!!

Yep. And this was after most of it had gone away. The fog was so bad going down I-4 through Orlando that we were going 35-40 and I kept asking David to slow down. We could only see maybe 150 feet ahead of us. It was scary.

Saturday, March 3 -- I'm Being Stalked by a Squirrel!

Woke up early and went down to Pioneer Hall to access the free wifi. All I got was a site to log into the Disney employees’ site … wandered around … finally got the Disney Guest site while sitting on DeeDee … a little awkward.

20120303FW02.jpg

Took this photo for the WWW:

20120303FW01fortheWWW.jpg

Went back to Dolly to pick up David … while I was sitting on DeeDee waiting for him, I looked down and saw a squirrel not two feet from me … stalking me for food. Ugh, you flea-carrying animal … get away from me! For the next several minutes he kept hopping all around DeeDee … looking up at me as if he were possessed … arrrgh!

Wish I had taken a photo of him.

Finally we made our way down to Trail’s End, where we were pleasantly surprised with service from Kenny!

20120303TEDavidandKen.jpg

My first plates of food:

20120303TEplate1.jpg

My second plate:

20120303TEplate2.jpg

My third plate:

20120303TEplate3.jpg

Actually there was another plate of food for me but it didn’t contain much so I didn’t take a picture. And yes, I LOVE BACON!

Yes, I ate it all except for the crust on the pizza, the biscuit under the barbecue, and an underdone poached egg.

I'm a low carber. I normally eat this much. I'm a size 4, but you won't believe it looking at the pictures of me. I look huge! Gotta go on a diet ...

After breakfast we visited EPCOT. Was surprised to see azaleas blooming so early:

20120303EPCOTAzaleasblooming.jpg

It will be awhile before ours start blooming at home.

I was determined to visit some of the attractions we hadn’t seen in a long time, so after obtaining FPs for Test Track we visited the Universe of Energy. It’s been at least 20 years since we experienced this. We aren’t Ellen DeGeneres fans and have avoided it because of her … but I must say her involvement made it more lighthearded and interesting.

20120303UE1.jpg

20120303UE2.jpg

We remembered the time with the dinosaurs as being longer but the movie as being more boring.

Doubled back to use our FP for TT

20120303TestTrack1.jpg

Stopping here ... Photobucket isn't cooperating well. Will pick back up tomorrow.