David and Gwen Battle the Spring Break Crowds

If the buses are out of service, why are they sitting there?

Just waiting until they're needed later in the day or for when there are drivers available for them.

Things get really slow after the morning rush, so a lot of buses are parked property wide during that time.

If you go to TTC at that time, you'll see a ton of buses parked there too.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We interrupt this program to bring you a special report. Lou doesn't have a bald spot any more!

If the buses are out of service, why are they sitting there?

Just waiting until they're needed later in the day or for when there are drivers available for them.

Things get really slow after the morning rush, so a lot of buses are parked property wide during that time.

Wow, you sure are right about the crowds! It doesn't help matters that half of Fantasy Land is walled off.

I agree with you on the Boardwalk. It's pretty to see once, but there's nothing there that makes me want to return.

But the buses shown there aren't taking anyone anywhere.

If they're parked along the fence, they're out of service.

You'll see mostly older buses parked there because drivers don't want to drive them and are the last to be used.

A lot of people skip the Boardwalk area.

I think it's under appreciated.

It's worth checking out especially at night.

Besides camping annually at Fort Wilderness, we own DVC Boardwalk. We love the Boardwalk! It is so quaint and homey, and believe me there are lots of activities in the evening. There are street performers, and the Boardwalk Bakery is heaven. You can also get sandwiches there and they fill the refillable mugs. We also love the cocktail lounge that not many people know about. You can bring your cocktail outside on the porch and lounge watching the activities on the boardwalk. You must go by at Christmas and see their wonderful decorations and chocolate carousel. You can't tell a book by it's cover, and once you've stayed there you would know what I mean. We've stayed at other DVC units, but Boardwalk is our favorite next to camping at Fort Wilderness.

Lou, thanks for the explanation!

Wow, you sure are right about the crowds! It doesn't help matters that half of Fantasy Land is walled off.

I agree with you on the Boardwalk. It's pretty to see once, but there's nothing there that makes me want to return.

We tried going into Tomorrowland and Adventureland, but the crowds were just as bad there!

Besides camping annually at Fort Wilderness, we own DVC Boardwalk. We love the Boardwalk! It is so quaint and homey, and believe me there are lots of activities in the evening. There are street performers, and the Boardwalk Bakery is heaven. You can also get sandwiches there and they fill the refillable mugs. We also love the cocktail lounge that not many people know about. You can bring your cocktail outside on the porch and lounge watching the activities on the boardwalk. You must go by at Christmas and see their wonderful decorations and chocolate carousel. You can't tell a book by it's cover, and once you've stayed there you would know what I mean. We've stayed at other DVC units, but Boardwalk is our favorite next to camping at Fort Wilderness.

Mikmouse, you make Boardwalk sound so nice for most people! Our younger son spent his honeymoon at the Beach Club, and they loved Boardwalk. But being a low carber I don't eat sandwiches or bakery items. We don't go to cocktail lounges, and we're really not nighttime people. If we go out at night, it's almost always to a park. But I'm glad we did visit there! And I'm happy that you enjoy Boardwalk so much!

We love the Boardwalk! It is so quaint and homey, and believe me there are lots of activities in the evening.

I agree. If I were to be in the DVC, it would be at the BW. In addition to the BW being a beautiful resort, just walk out the door without having to drive or take a bus and viola, so many things to occupy your time..

In addition to Jellyrolls there is the Atlantic Dance Hall, the ESPN club, Epcot, DHS, Y&B Club, the Swan and Dolphin, not to mention a number of restaurants. All within walking distance.

Another Boardwalk fan here. My wife and I love to visit without the kids....just stroll around and take in everything. I really liked it when they had the crepe and ice cream booth.

FWIW, Big River Grille has a location in Chattanooga. It is always great. The one time that we ate at the one at the BW it was "meh".

We enjoy Big River Grille in Chattanooga too, as well as the one in Nashville. But I've never eaten at the one at BW...mainly cause we can just go to one here at home if we want.

And count me as another one that does enjoy Boardwalk. Have never stayed there, but we do enjoy walking it in the evening now and then.

That burger is making me hungry!

Okay, okay, I admit that I am outnumbered here on my feelings about Boardwalk ...

But on to the TR.

Wednesday, March 7 – Over the River and Through the Woods

Can't get enough photos of Pioneer Hall and the surrounding area:

20120307PioneerHall2.jpg

20120307PioneerHall.jpg

20120307frontporch.jpg

20120307frontporch2.jpg

20120307CrockettsTavernBeers.jpg

We left the fort early and headed to Lakeland to visit my uncle Clyde and aunt Jo (I know, my family has weird names – I also have an aunt whose name is Bill!)

Stopped along the way for breakfast. Had a great visit with Clyde and Jo – it’s been too long. They are both in their upper 80s and have multiple health problems. We should see them more often.

On the way back we stopped at Camping World to purchase an aluminum step like Dave has. It’s really nice, and we really needed it, but wow! It was almost $100 with tax!

20120307newstep.jpg

But it was worth every penny – between my sore right knee and painful left hip, I’d been having problems getting into Dolly.

We also had to go to WalMart. If I could ever take a vacation without a trip to WM, I’d be so happy! David was having sinus issues and had to pick up some Allegra. He was still feeling bad, and we were both hoping to avoid a doctor’s visit.

This building always cracks me up:

20120307Funnybuilding.jpg

I remember years ago stopping by there and buying delicious grapefruit jelly.

We had dinner at Cape May.

20120307BeachClubatnight.jpg

20120307Boardwalkatnight.jpg

20120307CMinterior.jpg

David was disappointed that there wasn’t more seafood on the buffet. He ate a little fried shrimp along with mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, and a few desserts. The one fried seafood item on the buffet changes daily. I got a copy of the menu but can't locate it right now. Will post it later if I find it.

I had:

20120307CMfood1.jpg

20120307CMfood2.jpg

20120307CMfood3.jpg

20120307CMfood4.jpg

20120307CMfood5.jpg

And had a tiny bite of each of these desserts -- key lime tart and raspberry cheesecake:

20120307CMfood6.jpg

20120307CMfood7.jpg

And I loved every single bite! Crab legs were wonderful. Ribs were very tender and tasty. Fried shrimp was a little heavy on the breading but still good. Desserts were great!

The buffet:

20120307CMCarvingStation.jpg

The beef on the carving station looked great, but I wasn't willing to give up crab legs to try it.

20120307CMSalads2.jpg

20120307CMSalads1.jpg

20120307CMVeggies1.jpg

20120307CMMeats1.jpg

20120307Meats2.jpg

20120307CMBreads.jpg

20120307CMDesserts1.jpg

20120307CMDesserts2.jpg

I wouldn't recommend eating at Cape May if you don't like crab legs. It's time-consuming to get to from the fort if you have to depend on Disney transportation, and it's pricey for picky eaters. But if you love crab legs like I do, then it's well worth the inconvenience and cost.

David then rolled me back to Dolly. I should have headed over to the MK to walk off some of that food!

We had never seen rope drop at the MK. Would we make it in the morning?

Food pics look yummy! I do like crab legs, but it's so much work. I'm more of a grab & go kind of eater. I could have spent some time at that dessert table though. :)

Okay, okay, I admit that I am outnumbered here on my feelings about Boardwalk ...

Hey, we all have a different view of things. Based on your pictures, the time you were there (morning), I think I would see it the same way.

This building always cracks me up:

20120307Funnybuilding.jpg

I remember years ago stopping by there and buying delicious grapefruit jelly.

Ah yes Orange World. Sort of sad that area used to be surrounded by orange trees for miles. :'( Then came the nasty frosts many years ago that killed the trees and now you have subdivisions. That area used to be neat to drive through and see all the orange trees.

Food pics look yummy! I do like crab legs, but it's so much work. I'm more of a grab & go kind of eater. I could have spent some time at that dessert table though. :)

Stef, if we're ever at Cape May at the same time I'll crack some crab legs for you!

Ah yes Orange World. Sort of sad that area used to be surrounded by orange trees for miles. :'( Then came the nasty frosts many years ago that killed the trees and now you have subdivisions. That area used to be neat to drive through and see all the orange trees.

I remember those days ... miles and miles of orange trees. We took a trip to FL in the mid 70s and David and my father didn't want to drive the interstate. So we drove -- is it 501? -- down through the center of the state. The first few miles of orange trees were beautiful, but after awhile I felt like I'd been looking at them for 500 miles and didn't ever want to see another one.

Wow, look at you posting a cliffhanger!

Way to go!

I love all the photos in your latest update- I agree, you can never have too many of Pioneer Hall and its surroundings. And that buffet sure looks good!

TCD

Thanks, Andrew. Actually that wasn't my first attempt in this TR at a cliffhanger. I'm just not good at it like you are!

The buffet photos look good. And I DO love crab legs! :heart:

So did you make rope drop??

You'll find out tomorrow!

BTW, have you ever eaten at the Original Benjamin's in Myrtle Beach? They have THE BEST crab legs!

Well, back to the grindstone. I'd forgotten how time consuming writing a trip report can be. Between writing, editing photos, and uploading, I'm spending several hours a day on this TR. We have a lot of great report writers, and I love reading each one. I just hope I can give you all a little amusement or insight into my favorite place.

Sort of sad that area used to be surrounded by orange trees for miles.

I agree! And at peak times the orange smell seeped right into the car! That was a huge deal when I was little and would travel down from NY.

Stef, if we're ever at Cape May at the same time I'll crack some crab legs for you!

:jumpforjoy Wow! We may be able to work out a deal, I'll treat, you crack the claws! ^-^

No, I've only been to MB once for work. Never dined there!

If you're ever in the area, check it out. It's in Restaurant Row.

Wow! We may be able to work out a deal, I'll treat, you crack the claws! ^-^

Sounds like a plan!

What The Fort? Is half of the members of this board formerly from NY?

I don't think so.

Some of us are from Joisey.

TCD

No, some still live there. :raspberry2:

And some of us are native Carolinians.

Awesome update Gwen!! That is the same step we have for our T@B, and YES, it is worth EVERY penny!! Very sturdy and stable!!

Thank you again, Carol!

Thursday, March 8 – Did We Make Rope Drop?

We just missed the first boat to the MK:

20120308firstboatleaving.jpg

I was so afraid that we would miss RD because of this.

Finally arrived at the MK and we missed rope drop again today!

It was EMH, and I didn’t know they did rope drop early on EMH days! I was so bummed!

But MK was about 20% as crowded as Tuesday, and we saw several attractions quickly, including Buzz, Snow White, the Hall of Presidents, and the Haunted Mansion.

20120308MaryPoppins.jpg

We intently played Buzz:

20120308Buzz--usplaying.jpg

David’s score was:

20120308davidsbuzzscore.jpg

He usually plays much better and always beats me.

But not today! My score was:

20120308mybuzzscore.jpg

David’s comment: “I didn’t know you were so good at video games.” I didn’t tell him it was just dumb luck.

Fantasyland expansion photos:

20120308FLexpansion1.jpg

20120308FLexpansion2.jpg

Snow White:

20120308SnowWhite2.jpg

20120308SnowWhite3.jpg

Haunted Mansion:

20120308HM1.jpg

I finally found the bride's ring!

20120308HM2bridesring.jpg

20120308HM3.jpg

Hall of Presidents -- it had been a long time:

20120308HallofPresidents1.jpg

20120308HallofPresidents2.jpg

20120308HallofPresidents3.jpg

Ho hum. It's probably been 20 years since we visited HoP, and my memory is probably foggy, but I thought there was more interaction between the Presidents. And none of the Presidents since Reagan even looked like themselves!

David again refused to ride Splash Mountain because he still wasn’t feeling well. So we had lunch at the Plaza Restaurant.

DSCN9902.jpg

DSCN9907.jpg

An interesting shot of the castle reflection in the restaurant window:

20120308Plaza0.jpg

We split a tuna croissant with broccoli slaw (I didn't eat the bread):

20120308Plaza1.jpg

and I had a no sugar added vanilla-chocolate swirl milkshake. Yum! I hadn’t had a milkshake in at least 9 years – it was heavenly!

20120308Plaza2.jpg

We purchased these for Dolly:

20120308S-PGrinders.jpg

Love them!

Other miscellaneous shots around the MK:

DSCN9901.jpg

DSCN9893.jpg

DSCN9881.jpg

DSCN9880.jpg

DSCN9831.jpg

20120308M-Mtopiariesatcastle.jpg

On our way out of the MK huge crowds were coming in:

20120308hugecrowdsgoingtoMK.jpg

Thursday, March 8 – Part 2

On the way back to the fort we saw this worker cleaning off an island:

DSCN9923.jpg

One of the boat CMs said Disney is doing this to help the boat drivers see water traffic better.

A sad sight:

DSCN9926.jpg

An always welcome sight:

DSCN9935.jpg

We took Kassie looping on DeeDee for a long time.

Miscellaneous photos of the fort:

DSCN9947.jpg

DSCN9946.jpg

DSCN9945.jpg

DSCN9944.jpg

DSCN9943.jpg

DSCN9942.jpg

DSCN9941.jpg

DSCN9940.jpg

Then we went back to Dolly for dinner, while I was hoping David would go to EPCOT with me later. But it didn’t work out. He was being a Debbie Downer, a party pooper, I knew he didn’t feel great but we’re in Disney, suck it up and go on … next time I vowed to leave him behind.

Talked for a while to our next door neighbors from Jacksonville who were on their first camping trip with their first RV. Gave them a FF card and told them all about our site. He came back the next day and asked a few questions about FF and other things to do in WDW, but he seemed kind of disappointed with and uninterested with Disney. Oh, well. I tried.

What's up for tomorrow? We go in search of Jiminy Cricket!