What Is That Little Box?

It's tracking your route, so it can pick up the pre-recorded statements and instructions that play when you approach specific sites or intersections.

It's tracking your route, so it can pick up the pre-recorded statements and instructions that play when you approach specific sites or intersections.

I don't believe the box itself does that, but I'll give you credit for that part of it because the box, bus tracking, and announcement triggers are all components of a complex and much larger system.

I think it's a transistor radio so they can listen to the ball game while driving. The words on the screen are just to make it look official.

The box is what is really driving the bus right?

Funny you should say that. I use that line as part of my shtick. When I have a mic that functions that is.

I think it's a transistor radio so they can listen to the ball game while driving.

What's a transistor radio?

Carol finally strikes OUT!! :rofl3: According to her link this "Clever Device" is the Brains of a Mass Transit system. Every Fiend here knows our man Lou is the Brains behind the operation... :clint:

The box is called the MDT which stands for Mobile Data Terminal.

The MDT box itself is just a driver interface with the on-board and and remote control systems. It doesn't do much on it's own.

It's most important function is that it displays the next destination.

Drivers can also play special announcements such as birthdays, princess or pirate on board, first timers, and many more.

All of the other stuff like tracking of the bus, background music, announcements, and marquee changes are done by other systems.

That particular screen is displaying a lot of critical info that the driver needs.

It's showing that the bus is ON ROUTE, which means that it's following the approved route, one of hundreds.

It's also showing that the route is from the AK Lodge, which includes Kidani Village and Jambo House, to the MK.

It tells the driver to stop at bus stop #1 at Kidani Village and shows that the next stop as being bus stop #4 at the Jambo House. The bus is either at Kidani Village or is on route to Jambo House.

All that info in just three lines of text.

Drivers can also play special announcements such as birthdays, princess or pirate on board, first timers, and many more.

All of the other stuff like tracking of the bus, background music, announcements, and marquee changes are done by other systems.

Now this is interesting. Are the marquee changes done remotely or is it driver-controlled?

I'm having a mini-pity-party here and wishing I was on a wdw bus right now. Actually a bus to anywhere, even the landfill, would do today.

Could you give us some examples of the special announcements? what do they say? maybe Mo's secret source, whoever he/she is, could even get us an audio track??

Now this is interesting. Are the marquee changes done remotely or is it driver-controlled?

Once the destination code pops up on the screen and is accepted by the driver, it's all automatic.

I'm having a mini-pity-party here and wishing I was on a wdw bus right now.

Here's a bus ride to the MK from Youtube.

Hope it brings you some pixie dust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8hBVUeZZk8

Could you give us some examples of the special announcements? what do they say?

The princess announcement goes something like this.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we ask that you be on your best royal behavior. We're traveling with a Disney Princess today."

maybe Mo's secret source, whoever he/she is, could even get us an audio track??

I'll ask Mo if she can use her influence to get her secret source to make an audio track of some of the announcements.

Thanks Lou. I needed that. I even saw the bag check that sits near our brick. Always improves my day remembering that it's there waiting for us to visit again and shoo the tourists off our names. :rofl2:

Are the topiaries along the CR/MK sidewalk gone now? I didn't see them.

Monorails do not need a box to tell them where to go.

Bus driver training time, 3 to 4 weeks.

Monorail pilot training time, 2 days.

I made that up, but how long can it take to learn how to push a lever.

Think about it, that's all they have to do. Just stop so that the Monorail doors line up with the station gates.