Troop 27 goes to DC!

I'm going to try and update this live from the trip, so don't expect much text - not the fastest one finger tapper on the east coast! Also, I'll probably not get photos of any of the scouts other than my family out of respect for privacy for the other kids, but we'll see if it can be done!

post-95-133457261657_thumb.jpg

The first photo shows one of the leaders with the new scout cargo trailer with new graphics at a gas stop in CT. We took off at around 7:00 am yesterday and headed out for Newburgh, NY. Why Newburgh? Well, it's about half way on the route (and only 500 bathroom breaks away when traveling with kids). It also happens to be the home of Orange County Choppers! Our Scoutmaster, Scott, arranged a backstage tour of the manufacturing operations for the kids!

Here is Matt in front of one of the custom bikes in the showroom while we wait for the rest of the troop to show up.

post-95-133457292916_thumb.jpg

Let's see how this first attempt to post using Tap a Talk app works.

post-95-133457252594_thumb.jpg

post-95-133461241759_thumb.jpg

Senior was supposedly on the shop in the morning, and then off to see Junior.

Before I load up photos from today, I have one more from yesterday. This bike looks kind of cool, Sort of a prelude to later this week when we go to the Air and Space museum!

e2409a6b.jpg

The boys starting down the steps to lay the wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier - Arlington National Cemetary.

It was about 90 degrees today - needed a lot of water.

I visited Washington when I was in the 8th grade. Of all the different things we did and all the places that we visited, this was the one thing that stood out and I will never forget!!

Thanks for sharing!

10f3f2e9.jpg

Well, not sure if you can see this, but there should be a black dot in the sky just to the right of center, and that is the Space Shuttle Discovery riding piggyback on a NASA 747 doing a flyover over the National Mall. The Smithsonian Castle is on the left. I have better pix with a regular camera (this was from the iPhone) that are much closer and I will share those when I get back.

I think this is one of those "you had to be there moments" but the sound of those engines on that 747 screaming by as they banked for a turn right behind the Capital brought out a cheer from everyone on the Mall. It probably means more to us 40 something's and older who remember the early days of this program. Sad to see it end.

Terrific pictures Dan! What a great experience for the boys. It's the kind of memory they might share with children & grandchildren one day and you played a key part in making it happen. Way to go!

Why cant I see any pictures :(

It could be that I reached my quota for traffic at Photobucket?

We just got back about an hour ago after a long drive back. I have not posted in a while, because I was hit with the stomach bug Thursday night and was very ill. Being the only driver in the family who will tow the trailer, it was a difficult decision, but I had to just get behind the drivers seat and go as far as we could while safe yesterday. Made several stops to go take a nap in the trailer and recover in between a few hours of travel. One advantage to having an RV - as long as there is room to park safely, we could take frequent breaks and keep moving.

Nancy and two of the kids quickly showered and headed in to Boston to go visit my father in law at the hospital - the main reason that we decided to push on home throughout the day/night last night. He is very ill, but still responsive so they wanted to get down to see him. I could not go after being sick recently.

I'll finish loading photos and update this report sometime this weekend - off to take a nap and then maybe my first solid food in a while.