Troop 27 goes to DC!

DSCN0958.jpg

I wanted to get in a couple of the close ups of the shuttle flyover to show how close they came in. From what we hear, they flew over three times, we caught the second and third flights that morning after getting off the metro.

As with any scout trip, we have to be in either Class A or Class B uniforms when traveling with the kids. Because of this, we would occasionally run into people who were friends of scouting, especially near the National Mall. One gentleman whose son had gone through scouting in RI, shared some great close up shots that he had.

FIXD00325.jpg

Fast forward to Thursday, and this was the sight we got to see at the Udvar-Hazy museum:

DSCN1198.jpg

DSCN1197.jpg

And, for those of us who like food photos, I thought I'd show how good the troop was at eating healthy while on the trip!

Grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast

IMG_1762.jpg

With steamed broccoli (which the kids requested!):

IMG_1760.jpg

This was a great trip, exhausting and tiring, but very worthwhile. We all decided the next trip will be closer to home!

The other shuttle is the Enterprise, which had been donated to the museum in the 1980s. That ship (the Enterprise) is headed out to NYC to become part of the Intrepid Museum. They had a "Welcome Discovery" event where both shuttles were placed on the tarmac near a grandstand. We got to see them push the Enterprise out toward the runway and then move the Discovery into the hangar that once housed the Enterprise.

From what I understand, the Enterprise was used in the 1970s for experimental flights by being brought into flight on the back of the 747. The initial tests of the Enterprise were used to refine the design for later shuttles and I don't think that the Enterprise ever went into orbit. We even got to have a group photo taken with two NASA pilots (astronauts?) who joined us while we had a photo taken in front of the shuttles. That was taken on someone else's camera and I need to see if I can get a copy. I feel bad, I have no idea who the two pilots were, and I'd like to try and see if I can figure it out from the photo. I think they piloted the two chase airplanes that accompanied the shuttle from Florida to DC (you can see one of the jets near the Smithsonian Castle in my photo above).

• 9 months later...

So I was just going back on this trip report as I was thinking about our upcoming trip for April 2013 and realized it was never completed. My last post was on the Saturday while Nancy and the kids were in Boston to see her dad at the hospital, and I was home with the stomach flu that had plagued our trip home. I had stayed home in order to not pass along the disease to my FIL, only to realize too late that he would be gone within 12 hours. Seems like a lifetime ago, and obviously a whirlwind of activity and sorrow that kept me from finishing that TR.

In any case, I will strive to do better and post live updates from this year's trip. Maybe I'll see what I can do in March for a pre-trip report with some of the details.