Animal Kindgom Safari Construction

I'd heard that the "Little Red" story line is going away, but hadn't really heard many details...

http://www.fortfiend...__1#entry126610

Boo to plans that won't post. Probably a file format thing. The board is picky and doesn't seem to like anything that's not a JPG or GIF. Can you attach to a post instead? Or email it to me and I can convert.

(can you tell I really want to see??)

Whew! You did it! :D

im interested to see how they change this... i think the original story was only really there for 2-3 years and they slowly chipped away at it.. and now its barely even acknowledged so i hope they do something good to it but little red will be missed

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some interesting information that's news to me - possible nighttime safaris?? Also sounds like more changes over the next few years!

From WDW News Today...

Kilimanjaro Safaris Says Goodbye to Wilson and “Jambo” to Nighttime Safaris?

May 11, 2012

by wdwntadmin

On Sunday, April 29th, the Little Red audio-animatronic became history and now guests riding Kilimanjaro Safaris over the Summer will have to stare at construction walls as the ride through the finale of the Animal Kingdom attraction. You may recall Disney announced changes to the ride a few months ago, stating that the poacher storyline would be replace with new savanna space to showcase Zebras.

All of the plants hazardous to the Zebras that will be moving in were removed prior to April 29th and many parts of the forest are already the grass fields where the animals will graze. The attraction’s pre-recorded spiels are gone, now you only hear background music and sound effects while traveling along the route. No more Mr. Wilson!

Imagineer Joe Rhode (“Mr. Animal Kingdom” as we refer to him around here) recently spoke to cast members at the attraction about the upcoming changes. While Wilson is gone for now, he may return to the ride or be replaced with a new character. For now, the Wilson and Dr. Jobson characters remain in the queue area in the pre-show film.

Disney is scheduled to be done with the basic changes this coming fall with larger changes to the Safari taking place over the next 3-4 years according to Rhode. Among the changes being discussed is the institution of permanent night-time Safari ride. From what we understand, the night safari will be completely different from the daytime version, adding a completely new experience for guests later in the day.

Imagineers recently tested lighting effects for night time safaris with a number of large video walls and intelligent moving headlights mounted on large lifts. Why use giant video screens? Well, it appears they mounted large video walls on the Wild Africa Trek trucks and tested using night vision and infrared technology to enhance the guest experience for the possible night-time version of the ride.

While it is uncertain if any of these changes will happen, it isn’t a far-fetched idea. In 3-4 years, Animal Kingdom will have an AVATAR-land and possibly a few other new offerings, so it is more than possible that the park will be open late on a regular basis.

We’ll keep you updated on this story as it develops. For now, we leave you with some immortal words from our now-gone friend… “TOMMIES!”

http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/9397

• 4 weeks later...

An update from Da Mouse. Follow the link at the end for more photos.

Zebra Savannah Under Construction at Kilimanjaro Safaris, Poaching Storyline Removed From Ride

Posted by Raphael De Varona on June 8, 2012

Jambo everyone! Are you ready for another major update from Disney’s Animal Kingdom? Very well then. Today we are taking you deep into the wilds of Africa in Kilimanjaro Safaris where substantial changes are underway to the attraction. Remember good ol’ Wilson Matua protector of animal Life on the reserve? Well he is no longer featured at all on the ride portion of the attraction and can only still be seen on the pre-show videos that still feature the poaching message. Though one has to think they are going to replace those videos eventually to fit the new storyline.

Kilimanjaro Safaris’ new storyline, well isn’t much of a storyline at all. This can lead to some very good and some very poor experiences on the attraction. Enjoyment of Kilimanjaro Safaris like before but also like never before is going to depend on the greatness exhibited by your driver in delivering the more animal conservationist message that is now predominant on the ride.

During your ride, drivers are now sure to mention the upcoming changes to Kilimanjaro Safaris’ finale that will replace the poachers scene and the saving of the infamous “Little Red,” in favor of a Zebra-filled-Savannah. Lots of work is already visible in the attraction and in our photos below and we had sort of assumed this experience would debut sometime this fall. Though in speaking with some cast members we get the feeling this timetable may be more up in the air and they mentioned concerns over the length of time the Zebras may need to get acclimated to the ride vehicles being present amongst other issues. We’ll share more of our thoughts when we post our video of the current adapted ride experience but for now check out the photos below and share your thoughts with us on all the happenings at Kilimanjaro Safaris. DSC02008-600x398.jpg

DSC02017-600x398.jpg

DSC02069-480x500.jpg DSC02101-600x398.jpg DSC02103-600x398.jpg

DSC02105-600x398.jpg

• DSC02112-600x398.jpg

• DSC02116-600x398.jpg

DSC02119-600x395.jpg

http://damouse.com/2012/06/08/zebra-savannah-under-construction-at-kilimanjaro-safaris-poaching-storyline-removed-from-ride/

• 2 weeks later...

From Orlando Theme Park News...

Kilimanjaro Safaris: Zebra Habitat Construction Video

postdateiconxh.png Monday, June 18, 2012 | postauthoriconsy.png Posted by OTPN administrator

As it was announced a few months ago, a new zebra habitat is currently under construction in the location that was formerly occupied by some props that made up the ending of the Kilimanjaro Safaris (do you remember Little Red, the poachers, and the geysers?). Let's take a look together at the progress that has been made:

As you can see, there is a long fence that currently encloses the whole area. Work should be completed by the end of the year, so keep checking back for new updates! By the way, will you miss the themed ending of the Kilimanjaro Safaris, or do you think that this addition will be actually a better use of that space?

http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com/2012/06/kilimanjaro-safaris-zebra-habitat.html

Yes, they did and I'd forgotten that until recently.

I was listening to ride audio for Killimanjaro Safaris that was from a few years back and they mentioned the zebras on the savannah.

Hmm.. but don't they have both zebras and giraffes on the AKL savannah? I remember seeing both there but can't remember if they were in the same space or actually separated.

Yes, they did and I'd forgotten that until recently.

I was listening to ride audio for Killimanjaro Safaris that was from a few years back and they mentioned the zebras on the savannah.

Hmm.. but don't they have both zebras and giraffes on the AKL savannah? I remember seeing both there but can't remember if they were in the same space or actually separated.

maybe is wasn't the giraffes, but I do remember them not getting along with one of the other critters

Did a little googling and the only thing I can find is that the zebras behavior was becoming more aggressive.

Found this from June 2011...

Recently on Kilimanjaro Safaris the Zebras were removed due to aggressive behavior towards other young animals. It just so happens they feel that baby animals attract predators and will do anything to rid the area of them. As a result Disney moved them to another savannah west of the attraction, but as you cross the "broken bridge" if you look to your left you might catch a glimpse of them at their new home. Zebras can also be found at the Animal Kingdom Lodge

http://www.mouseguru...0&sortby=newest

From October 2008

I have heard that the zebras are moved to a back area when there are baby animals on the savanna, because they (the zebras) can be too aggressive.

Years ago, they were sometimes visible off in the distance to the left as you approached the falling bridge, but the gorge was re-landscaped with tall vegetation which now blocks that view.

...Zebras can be relatively aggressive toward baby animals, including other zebra babies. We've seen that many times at our zoo. They usually need to be separated until the babies are a little older and can get away from the zebras if need be.

...Yes, the zebras can be aggressive. And this is not the first time they have been kept "off show" for that reason.

http://www.intercot....p?t-144254.html