from wikipedia

This species' reputation as a public nuisance is due not to any bite or sting (it is incapable of either), but to its slightly acidic body chemistry. Because airborne lovebugs can exist in enormous numbers near highways, they die en masse on automobile windshields, hoods, and radiator grills when the vehicles travel at high speeds. If left for more than an hour or two, the remains become dried and extremely difficult to remove. Their body chemistry has a nearly neutral 6.5 pH but may become acidic at 4.25 pH if left on the car for a day

You make a habit of driving through Cola rain?

Since I am pretty sure I won't be convincing my husband to pull over after going through a cloud of them, what can I use to remove them after we set up camp {going on the faith that we camp in June} that will help get them off before they ruin the finish of the camper?

Sounds dumb, but we use dryer sheets. Put a couple in a small container of warm water. Use the dryer sheets to wash the love bugs off. Then rinse with clean water. The stuff in the dryer sheets softens the bugs right up and the slight texture of the sheets helps to remove any residue. Works every time and doesn't take the wax off or harm the finish.

Oh Lord are they out!! I drove to Ocala (about 20 miles) and my windshield was so covered I could hardly see to drive to work this morning. Perverted little bugs!

Thank you all. I will be coating down the front of the trailer with lots of stuff and carrying the dryer sheets to scrub with afterwards.

Stef, are you using the rain-x on your windshield? Is it helping to keep the smearing down?

You are 100% right that is a big problem most people don't see

When we towed the trailer to FL we used a bug screen over the radiator. Helped a lot.

Now that we have a diesel pusher with the radiator on the side, not a concern. But we did avoid going to the fort in May. Last year in April we got covered with love bugs on the way down.

I use a product called Rejex with this applied love bugs will not stick even 4 day old bug splater pretty much rinses off. It will last about 6 months per aplication.