North Beach Camp Resort, St. Augustine, FL

Spent Mother's Day at this CG. My mom was staying here while she volunteered at the Player's Championship last week. Overall, the best part about this place is the location. Across the street from the beach, and at the back of the CG is the intracoastal with a boat ramp. It's very sandy/dirty, and the amenities are very dated, but maintained. Lots of pull-thrus, full hookups in most of the sites.

Many of these were taken with my phone, and it was an overcast day so photo quality is not the best, and I didn't take the time to enhance them.

Here is the entrance/store/office:

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

Beach access right across A1A:

IMG_0427.jpg

Some of the roadways:

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

This thing is smack in the middle of the CG. Couldn't figure out what it was. Later when we were walking to dinner I saw the backside of it and it is some kind of electrical substation or something. Didn't get a photo of that.

IMG_0418.jpg

Some site photos, with and without units on them.

Pull-thrus:

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

these are back-ins:

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

Bathhouse/laundry. I am not some weirdo who likes photographing toilets, but bathrooms are very important to the tent/pop-up folks, so this is for them!

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0410-1.jpg

like I said, dated, but clean enough and air conditioned.

The CG has a pool, shuffleboard and what appeared to once be a bocce area. There is also a rec room with pool table and games. I only got photos of the pool:

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

There is a restaurant at the back of the CG that you can walk to for dinner or drinks at the outdoor bar. We enjoyed the atmosphere very much, however the service and food, not so much. Then again, it was mother's day so they were packed. My husband did like his meal, and he's the only one who ordered seafood so I guess it's a good place for that, but then places right on the water usually are. And they did comp one drink because our food took so long. Also back here is a county boat launch, and docks for boaters to pull up and come to the restaurant. Beautiful sunsets back here.

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1923.jpg

That heron has a fish in it's beak. We saw him catch it in the water, drag it up the rocks, stab at it til it was dead, and swallow it whole. Very cool to watch, just not right before eating dinner!!

That's it! I did notice several golf carts, and folks with both a camper and boat on their site. Sites are plenty wide, though some have a good tree canopy which could be an issue for big rigs and high profile 5'ers. There is dense vegetation between a lot of sites, good privacy, but also some sites open to one another which is nice when you're traveling with a group. I believe Mom paid around 60 bucks per night for her site. The CG is technically in Vilano Beach, but just over the intracoastal from St. Augustine so not far at all. There's a brand new Publix just down the road, and lots of restaurants up and down A1A. Ponte Vedra is about 20 min. north of here.

PS: sorry I didn't take pictures of the food. Still learning my way around here! Plus, our food took so long, by the time we got it I just wanted to eat and get going! I did enjoy a yummy cocktail called Goombay Smash that was very refreshing!

PS: sorry I didn't take pictures of the food. Still learning my way around here! Plus, our food took so long, by the time we got it I just wanted to eat and get going! I did enjoy a yummy cocktail called Goombay Smash that was very refreshing!

I friend of mine from Louisiana used to make me Goombay Smash. I don't remember much about them. :rofl3:

I friend of mine from Louisiana used to make me Goombay Smash. I don't remember much about them. :rofl3:

hahaha well, I nursed it, so no memory loss - but I do think it is what prevented me from being annoyed at how long our food took!

That, and I wasn't the cook for once!

I think you can. I think I saw a few MH when I stayed there. The cayopy is a lot higher then it looks in that pic

Yes, it is higher than it appears. But you'd have to be very careful about which row/site you chose to avoid the same problem. I'm sure the people who run it know which ones can accommodate big rigs.

I really was dirty. Our feet were filthy from walking to dinner (in crocs and flip flops). Price you pay for being at the beach I guess. That's what the outdoor showers are for!

Personally, I hate sand. If I never come within 50 miles of a beach again I'd be ok with that. And fortunately for me, I married someone who is the same way!

We love digging our toes in the sand at the beach! Ocean Lakes is one of our all time favorite places.

I have to weigh in on the sand debate. I live at the beach, I love the sand at the beach... I do not, however, want the sand in my car, camper or house. I looks fantastic, but would take a long time for me to get used to the sand - especially wet sand.

I need to go take a shower now...

I have to weigh in on the sand debate. I live at the beach, I love the sand at the beach... I do not, however, want the sand in my car, camper or house. I looks fantastic, but would take a long time for me to get used to the sand - especially wet sand.

I need to go take a shower now...

That is not beach sand on those sites it is dirt. So it was fun with two people and 2 dogs one with long hair.

Thanks for the pics. Never been there, but I'm with a lot of the other folks, all of that dirt would make me crazy!!!

I haven't had a goombay smash since I was in the Bahamas about 10 years ago. Yum :drool1:

That is not beach sand on those sites it is dirt. So it was fun with two people and 2 dogs one with long hair.

That's right. It's dirt, but sandy dirt that blows with the wind and gets everywhere. I did notice some campers who must be staying there for a while had covered most of their site with tarp or other ground cover. I guess you just do what you have to. I live here and am used to it but I don't like it! I think I could tolerate it in order to be able to walk across the street to the ocean and have all of those other fun things in St. Aug. close by. May stay there for Mem. Day if a spot opens up so we will see…….

That's right. It's dirt, but sandy dirt that blows with the wind and gets everywhere. I did notice some campers who must be staying there for a while had covered most of their site with tarp or other ground cover. I guess you just do what you have to. I live here and am used to it but I don't like it! I think I could tolerate it in order to be able to walk across the street to the ocean and have all of those other fun things in St. Aug. close by. May stay there for Mem. Day if a spot opens up so we will see…….

Rudy and Shelby had fun making mud pies one day after a rain storm

Okay, I don't like dirt. But it couldn't have been as bad as our first trip to the Fort in the moho. We were assigned to loop 1900 (I didn't know any better, we'd always stayed in a Preferred loop in the TT), and every time we took our Schnauzer for a walk it took us 20-30 minutes to get the cypress droppings out of her hair. Needless to say, we will never stay in that loop again.

Okay, I don't like dirt. But it couldn't have been as bad as our first trip to the Fort in the moho. We were assigned to loop 1900 (I didn't know any better, we'd always stayed in a Preferred loop in the TT), and every time we took our Schnauzer for a walk it took us 20-30 minutes to get the cypress droppings out of her hair. Needless to say, we will never stay in that loop again.

I can handle the cypress droppings. But the 1 pound of dirt on the floor and bed every day just killed us and just add a little water makes it better

• 2 weeks later...

We did end up going to N Beach this weekend but just checked out this morning (a day early) due to Tropical Storm Beryl. (boo) Also I only stayed there last night because I had to go up to NC Friday for a funeral. but I will have at least 2 days of work ahead of me cleaning our gear and scrubbing the TT, truck and car out from all of the dirt and sand.

Even though I was only there for one night, I can say it will be a while before we return, and most definitely not on a holiday weekend. It really is dirty - not just sandy, like filthy dirty, our feet were black. The place was so crowded, lots of late night revelers, children driving golf carts in the dark (and it gets mighty dark out at the beach), pool was elbow to elbow people with water that I am pretty sure is warmer than most bathwater! I wasn't there for check-in and they put my husband in a back-in that was too small for our TT plus 2 trucks. I had reserved a pull-through and told them we had 2 vehicles, but that apparently got ignored and he didn't realize that. Once I arrived on Sat., they wouldn't let me put my SUV in an empty site or the boat lot at the end of our row and told me I had to put it in the county lot on A1A, where all that lovely salt water would be spraying on it all night, and the lot isn't secure. Not happy at all about that. Plus the tiny site we got backed up to the main road of the CG and we got to enjoy all the aforementioned folks cruising around shouting woo hoo all night long.

The ONLY thing this place has going for it is the location, which is why I would be willing to return, but only in a pull-through with ample space. 60 bucks a night is a rip-off. But, it's nice to have the beach across the street, river/intracoastal on the back side of the CG with fishing pier and restaurant, and all the St. Augustine has to offer just around the corner.