from msnbc.com

By Joe Myxter

A trip to see Mickey and Minnie will soon cost you more money.

On Friday, Disney announced on its blog that it is raising prices at Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

"We regularly evaluate and adjust our pricing and continue to focus on providing one-of-a-kind entertainment experiences at a great value," spokesman Bryan Malenius told msnbc.com. "Our research tells us that nearly all our guests agree that a Disney theme park experience is a strong value."

At Disney World, prices for a one-day pass will cost $85 (from $82), a five-day pass will cost $251 (up 5.9 percent) and a 10-day pass will cost $291 (up 11.1 percent).

The price increase is the second in less than a year, and takes effect Sunday.

Funny Disney announced this on Friday afternoon and started it on Sunday so people couldn’t buy their ticket in advance. Disney also did this just day before people start showing up for the Memorial Day weekend and the busy summer months.

Hang on gang - that blog post was from June 10th, 2011 and referred to the *last* price increase.

The only increase that's been announced for this year so far is the one that took place for the Premium Passport yesterday.

I've got it on good authority that there has been no official information released on any currently planned price increases.

That's not to say they're not coming, and there usually is an increase the first Sunday in August.

Keeping all ears and eyes open for any hint of when this year's increase is coming.

DL announced Friday that new rates would apply as of Sunday. No word yet on wdw date but they typically also announce the Friday before.

One caveat to note in all of this is that those who buy tickets already in stock from secondary sources or the disney store have been able to purchase the remaining stock on hand at the pre-price-increase rate. That means if you order from undercover tourist, AAA south, or another wholesaler, chances are good you'll be able to still buy at the lower price for an extra few weeks - assuming historical data holds, that is...

From WDW Magic. No official source cited, but it does seem reasonable...

Walt Disney World ticket pricing increases coming soon?

May 21, 2012

Sources familiar with the situation tell us that increases to Walt Disney World ticket prices are imminent. Expect a 1 day ticket to increase from the current $85+tax to $89+tax. The last ticket price increase was June 12 2011.

It is typical for Disney to adjust pricing on an annual basis, but so far no official announcement has been made, and you can still buy tickets today at the existing 2011 pricing. In 2012, Disney has already increased the price of the 'Disney Premier Passport' by $100 to $849+tax.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Other/Magic-Your-Way-Ticket/News/21May2012-Walt-Disney-World-ticket-pricing-increases-coming-soon.htm

Reality check, prices are going up across the board. They always do and probably will, sooner rather than later.

I can always use a raise. Think of it in that context, more money for poor old Lou's later years. OK, even later years.

What about my later years? I need to be able to buy the tickets to see my favorite bus driver.

The cost of everything is going up. Disney is no exception. I'm sure they have target margins to hit, and they index to some inflationary measure like the CPI. In particular, the costs of food and energy have increased in the past several years, which have to be two of the largest cost categories on Disney's P&L besides labor. If Disney raises prices 5-11%, that tells me that the government's reported inflation rates of 2-3% are crap.