I've seen the "what do you bring" thread, but what about things you bring and then discover it was more of a waste of space?

For example, I thought that a pot and pan and a hot plate would be useful, but I've discovered they're more trouble than they're worth and I rarely use them.

So what about everyone else? Any recommendations about what to leave at home and save space?

I have a ton of games in the rv that never get used, we enjoy the fort so much, who needs games? We have played cards a few rainy days, and they take up much less space. (Note to self: take games out of rv :welcome:)

In the beginning we always brought way to much clothes, food and drink.  We are still a little heavy in the drink department but I refuse to pay 3 or 4 times the price at the TP. Just keep an extra case hot in the back of the truck.  We also cut way down on the DVDs. Except for biting fly season (May, and September) I leave the screen room at home as well.

I learned quickly to not ask this question.  I told my lovely wife of 30 years we had too much stuff and needed to lighten the load.  When we got to the fort last summer, I went looking for my clothes in the usual place, nuttin!

I calmly asked my lovely wife if she packed me any clothes......................she left them at home to lighten the load she said.  Only packed hers......................then she smiled and said there all out in the trunk of the car and I'll rearrange, but I need everything I have here :dance:

end of story

I learned quickly to not ask this question.  I told my lovely wife of 30 years we had too much stuff and needed to lighten the load.  When we got to the fort last summer, I went looking for my clothes in the usual place, nuttin!

I calmly asked my lovely wife if she packed me any clothes......................she left them at home to lighten the load she said.  Only packed hers......................then she smiled and said there all out in the trunk of the car and I'll rearrange, but I need everything I have here :D

end of story

:dance: She must have been laughing her butt off. At least she was nice enough to tell you where they were. My wife would have let me suffer all day before telling me.

I calmly asked my lovely wife if she packed me any clothes......................she left them at home to lighten the load she said.  Only packed hers......................then she smiled and said there all out in the trunk of the car and I'll rearrange, but I need everything I have here :D

end of story

let me just say, I like the way your wife thinks...  :dance:

What not to pack. I'm going to assume this is for the Fort. Well for us anything related to cooking can stay at home lol At Disney we dont like to cook. Boats and kayaks stay at home. Dog stays at home. Sand toys and all games can stay at home. When we towed out popup down we basiclly emptied the whole thing out lol. We didnt take out the kitchen stuff but we hardly used it.

In our very first TT we had the whole shebang - including REAL dishes. (what were we thinking??)

We ditched those in favor of plastic with the hybrid, but then spent 3 years loading stuff into that to make sure we had "everything" and then 2 years emptying it all out!  :dropjaw:

When we got the new TT, which probably has 3X more storage space, I swore I was emptying out the hybrid into it and nothing more.  Even though it means I have empty cupboards.  Other than room for some extra towels and linens now, that's exactly what we did.

Things we ditched over time...

- Dishes - paper plates all the way

- Every freakin' cooking utensil known to man - the basics, a sharp knife and aluminum foil and I can cook just about anything.

- Extra pots and pans - I have one fry pan, one sauce pan, a cheap stock pot and some aluminum throw away baking pans.

- Piles of tupperware/storage containers (you can put virtually anything in ziploc bags!)

The few things we still keep in there...

- real silverware (that's all me - DH would be fine with plastic)

- a couple of nice coffee mugs (Disney mugs of course)

- a pile of decent big acrylic cups (drinks are important!!)

This TT we have has so much storage, I am pretty sure the wife packed an EXTRA kitchen sink just to be safe!!!  When we leave for the fort I am pretty sure we have enough of EVERYTHING that we could be lost in the wilds for 2 months and never need for anything.... :dance: