Rates on Florida's Turnpike to Increase

Get ready to pay more at the pump...wait, strike that...

If you use the Turnpike, even if you have Sunpass, rates will go up by 25 cents on Sunday. This is a state mandate to pay for road projects. Usually Sunpass participants are exempt, but not this time.

Enjoy! :argh:

Get ready to pay more at the pump...wait, strike that...

If you use the Turnpike, even if you have Sunpass, rates will go up by 25 cents on Sunday. This is a state mandate to pay for road projects. Usually Sunpass participants are exempt, but not this time.

Enjoy! :argh:

So do Sunpass users totally lose the discount now, or is our discounted price going up by 25 cents?

Sun Pass mini cost $10

They are $4.99 the last time I checked and they give you that back when you sign up as a credit on your account for tolls. The mini (I have on in my Jeep, which is our TOAD) is a "sticker" that goes on the inside of your windshield. If you go to Florida often enough and don't mind that money sitting in an account during the times you are not in Florida (you have to have money in the account to make it stay active) than I would definitely get one. However, don't think that you are going to stop by the service plaza and get one and instantly activate it, because it takes 4 hours to go live. So, unless you want to sit around for four hours at the plaza or fool around on the Turnpike for that amount of time, I would suggest you buying it on a trip and activating it while at your destination and using it on the way home. There is another Sun Pass transponder that you can buy that is more expensive that has suction cups on it to make it easy to transfer from car to car and it is $25. I don't know what credit you get on your account for those when you buy them. The tolls you save are well worth getting the mini's. You get used to them being on the windshield after a couple of days. Don't forget to put all your cars and trailers on the list of vehicles because you will get burned at the toll booth if you go through and it is not registered. They will send you a nasty gram in the mail with a bill attached.

However, don't think that you are going to stop by the service plaza and get one and instantly activate it, because it takes 4 hours to go live. So, unless you want to sit around for four hours at the plaza or fool around on the Turnpike for that amount of time, I would suggest you buying it on a trip and activating it while at your destination and using it on the way home.

There is an instant option. I purchased a mini for 25$. It includes $20 preloaded and can be used right away. You can then go on the Sunpass account afterwards and set up a CC. You don't get the $5 buck credit but when towing a trailer and making a trip through the Turnpike and then over to the beach and back. I was still saving money. PLUS saving time. It is much faster now that they are moving the toll booths to the side of the road allowing travel lanes to conitnue at speed.

There is an instant option. I purchased a mini for 25$. It includes $20 preloaded and can be used right away. You can then go on the Sunpass account afterwards and set up a CC. You don't get the $5 buck credit but when towing a trailer and making a trip through the Turnpike and then over to the beach and back. I was still saving money. PLUS saving time. It is much faster now that they are moving the toll booths to the side of the road allowing travel lanes to conitnue at speed.

That option isn't offered at the service plazas is it? If it is, then the dolt that was working there is well, a dolt.

can you tell I forgot the sun pass one trip?

There is another Sun Pass transponder that you can buy that is more expensive that has suction cups on it to make it easy to transfer from car to car and it is $25. I don't know what credit you get on your account for those when you buy them. The tolls you save are well worth getting the mini's.

That's what we use since we can move it from the MH to the truck. The toll discount is the same.

• 5 months later...

Don't forget to put all your cars and trailers on the list of vehicles because you will get burned at the toll booth if you go through and it is not registered. They will send you a nasty gram in the mail with a bill attached.

Thanks for this info. I have been trying to find out if I needed to add the fiver as a vehicle or not. The only info the sun pass website gives is "if you pull a trailer a lot, then you must get a commercial account." Nothing about registering the trailer's plate number.