Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

I meant to ask- How sure are you that those photos are from the Fort?  It looks more like a state park campground to me- I don't remember the Fort ever having picnic tables that look like the one in your photo, and it doesn't look like there's a coquina pad for the tent, or any pavement for the car.  I'm not saying that it's not the Fort,  but those photos don't look like any old time Fort photos I've seen.

TCD

Hmmmm. Good question.  I'm not certain. I was assuming. They're both from the same set of slides as the ones of the MK. The top slide is #12 and the first one of the MK I have is #14.  The bottom "Fort" one is #9 and now that I look at it, it doesn't seem to be the same campsite as the top one.   Possibly only the top one is the Fort?? I'm pretty sure we took the AutoTrain to and from Florida and I don't think we would have camped two different places in Florida, although it's possible.  It's also possible we camped in Virginia the night before we went on the Auto Train.  Or it could have been on the same roll from an earlier trip.  

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

A few old MK and Fort slides I recently found and scanned.  

Easter/April 1974:

img001_zpstli35bex.jpg

img015_zps9jdn8tmr.jpg

outside 20,000 Leagues (big stroller haters, note the 1970s era stroller and the kid who doesn't realize how oppressed he is for not  having a cup holder, fan, canopy, reclining seat, etc.)

img014_zpsbesdnlnf.jpg

and the Fort from the same trip:

img018_zpspjl3f0hy.jpg

img017_zpsldulodnt.jpg

I love how this photo captures my Dad trying to restrain my younger brother. Good memories, along with tent and tarp we used on many a camping trip. 

And a bonus, my older brother and I (children at left) at the 1964/65 NY World's Fair, probably in mid to late 1965 based on my ability to move fast enough for my legs to be just a blur. Significant to this topic, because I feel that on this visit I must have also experienced the It's a Small World attraction which cemented my lasting fondness for it:

img013_zpsjk82raw0.jpg

Pure Awesomeness......Thanks!

By the way, the tire in the above dinosaur pic, is now standing along I-94 near Detroit Metro Airport.

I have heard tell from some police in the area that it is riddled with bullet holes.

The tire was originally part of a ferris wheel at the 1964 World's Fair.

A little useless knowledge for you all.

Hmmmm. Good question.  I'm not certain. I was assuming. They're both from the same set of slides as the ones of the MK. The top slide is #12 and the first one of the MK I have is #14.  The bottom "Fort" one is #9 and now that I look at it, it doesn't seem to be the same campsite as the top one.   Possibly only the top one is the Fort?? I'm pretty sure we took the AutoTrain to and from Florida and I don't think we would have camped two different places in Florida, although it's possible.  It's also possible we camped in Virginia the night before we went on the Auto Train.  Or it could have been on the same roll from an earlier trip.  

Well, if they're with the other WDW photos, then it probably is the Fort- it just doesn't look like it, LOL.

TCD

A few old MK and Fort slides I recently found and scanned.  

Easter/April 1974:

img001_zpstli35bex.jpg

Sorry, me again.

I passed right by this photo earlier without appreciating what it shows.

The photographer who took this shot would have been standing with his back to the castle, looking across the hub and down Main Street- you can see the Train Station there in the background.

It is remarkable how different this area looks now. Every single tree you see in that shot is gone, and the entire area is paved over.  And look how there's a continuous bench all the way around the hub.  I wish that was still there.

The angle of this photo isn't quite the same, but it shows the hub area with the Train Station in the background.  I took it from just outside the entrance to the castle, looking over the stage.  But it shows that all of those trees are gone:

3%2020%2015%20013_zpsdn8zsna1.jpg

TCD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting perspective showing the Asian Resort in place of the GF.  Is that a model, or an artist's conception?

I agree that the photo is very interesting.  I think it's a photo of a big model. I know that there were big models on display in a welcome center located where Downtown Disney is today.

I am not sure exactly what site Todd lifted this photo from, but I did find a pretty good article which discusses the original plans for the WDW resort hotels: http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/history/the-story-begins

This, supposedly, is a quote that may have accompanied that photo:

"The hotel "theme resorts" -- so called because each is being based upon a single theme that represents a culture or architectureal style around the world -- will offer far more than simply convenience of location to the new "Magic Kingdom" and its attractions. In design motif, food specialties, recreation activities, convention facilities and even the type of entertainment to be presented, these major hotels will complement each other and the attractions of the theme park. Walt Disney World, destination to become a complete family "Vacation Kingdom" represents the largest total recreation and entertainment enterprise ever undertaken by a single company.As a place of entertainment, it will be crowned by the new and exciting "Magic Kingdom" theme park. As a place of recreation, it will abound with land and water sports, and as a place of relaxation, it will cater to the needs not only of guests who visit for the day, but to those who spend part or all of their family vataion in Central Florida."

TCD

I agree that the photo is very interesting.  I think it's a photo of a big model. I know that there were big models on display in a welcome center located where Downtown Disney is today.

Several years ago I got curious about the old WDW Preview Center, and did some research on it.  I would love it if the place could be recreated....at least virtually.  In any case, it sat on what is now Hotel Plaza Blvd, a site chosen due to its proximity to I-4.  This is what it looked like in its day.

prvwctr1.jpg

At the time I was researching it, I assumed it had succumbed to the explosion of development around the DTD area over the years and was long gone....but incredibly the building not only still exists, it really hasn't changed all that much!

previewcenter.jpg

The building is currently the headquarters for AAU...the Amateur Athletic Union.  I wonder what happened to all the unused promotional materials and displays from the old Preview Center days?  This sort of stuff is interesting to me. 

Very cool, Dave. I remember seeing the sign for the Amateur Athletic Union, but I had no idea that was the old preview center.

Like you, I would love to be able to see what they used to have on display there.  That photo with the characters and the young ladies in those spiffy uniforms is cool in and of itself.  Those young ladies are probably in their sixties now, and it would be interesting to hear what they have to say about what it was like working at the preview center.

TCD

The "Project Florida" film that was shown on the Wonderful World of Disney back in 1971 showed some interesting scenes inside the Preview Center.  

https://youtu.be/WeeJl5jwfaI?t=4m12s

It also has a couple of interesting comments about the Fort later in this clip.  

Also, don't miss the fact that the "tourists" visiting the Preview Center are dressed in suits and dresses....not unlike how people traveled in those days.  That was a classy time.  

Several years ago I got curious about the old WDW Preview Center, and did some research on it.  I would love it if the place could be recreated....at least virtually.  In any case, it sat on what is now Hotel Plaza Blvd, a site chosen due to its proximity to I-4.  This is what it looked like in its day.

prvwctr1.jpg

At the time I was researching it, I assumed it had succumbed to the explosion of development around the DTD area over the years and was long gone....but incredibly the building not only still exists, it really hasn't changed all that much!

previewcenter.jpg

The building is currently the headquarters for AAU...the Amateur Athletic Union.  I wonder what happened to all the unused promotional materials and displays from the old Preview Center days?  This sort of stuff is interesting to me. 

The "Project Florida" film that was shown on the Wonderful World of Disney back in 1971 showed some interesting scenes inside the Preview Center.  

Also, don't miss the fact that the "tourists" visiting the Preview Center are dressed in suits and dresses....not unlike how people traveled in those days.  That was a classy time.  

Cool stuff, Dave - thanks for sharing!

prvwctr1.jpg

previewcenter.jpg

When my wife and I came down on our honeymoon in 1984, that was the building we went to in order to pick up our vacation package materials. It was several years later when it became AAU headquarters. In 84, if I recall correctly, the building contained no displays from years past, just desks.

That's a great video.

It shows the model and has several close ups of it.  I think Todd's photo is of that same model- as it shows the original concept for he Polynesian Resort, as well as the Asian, Persian and Venetian hotels.

I wonder if that model still exists in a vault somewhere?

I noticed the part about the campground, and you can see that the original concept had it located where Wilderness Lodge is today.

TCD