Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

LOL!  That is a crib.  What the Fort?

TCD

I'm guessing it was for my little cousin. I asked my mom and she says they rented it. She can't remember if it collapsed, and they brought it on the golf cart or if they rented it on the beach. Either way, funny stuff! I guess that's why pack-n-plays were invented. 

I'm guessing it was for my little cousin. I asked my mom and she says they rented it. She can't remember if it collapsed, and they brought it on the golf cart or if they rented it on the beach. Either way, funny stuff! I guess that's why pack-n-plays were invented. 

Our oldest was born just as Pack-n-Plays were being introduced.  Before that, they had things called port-a-cribs.  That crib looks like one of those.  They did fold up, but they were still big, and very rickety. 

On our very first visit to WDW with our oldest, we stayed at was then called Dixie Landings, and they provided a port-a-crib in the room.  I'll bet they were glad when the Pack-n-Plays came along.

TCD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few old MK and Fort slides I recently found and scanned.  

Easter/April 1974:

img001_zpstli35bex.jpg

img015_zps9jdn8tmr.jpg

outside 20,000 Leagues (big stroller haters, note the 1970s era stroller and the kid who doesn't realize how oppressed he is for not  having a cup holder, fan, canopy, reclining seat, etc.)

img014_zpsbesdnlnf.jpg

and the Fort from the same trip:

img018_zpspjl3f0hy.jpg

img017_zpsldulodnt.jpg

I love how this photo captures my Dad trying to restrain my younger brother. Good memories, along with tent and tarp we used on many a camping trip. 

And a bonus, my older brother and I (children at left) at the 1964/65 NY World's Fair, probably in mid to late 1965 based on my ability to move fast enough for my legs to be just a blur. Significant to this topic, because I feel that on this visit I must have also experienced the It's a Small World attraction which cemented my lasting fondness for it:

img013_zpsjk82raw0.jpg

A few old MK and Fort slides I recently found and scanned.  

Easter/April 1974:

img001_zpstli35bex.jpg

img015_zps9jdn8tmr.jpg

outside 20,000 Leagues (big stroller haters, note the 1970s era stroller and the kid who doesn't realize how oppressed he is for not  having a cup holder, fan, canopy, reclining seat, etc.)

img014_zpsbesdnlnf.jpg

img018_zpspjl3f0hy.jpg

img017_zpsldulodnt.jpg

I love how this photo captures my Dad trying to restrain my younger brother. Good memories, along with tent and tarp we used on many a camping trip. 

And a bonus, my older brother and I (children at left) at the 1964/65 NY World's Fair, probably in mid to late 1965 based on my ability to move fast enough for my legs to be just a blur. Significant to this topic, because I feel that on this visit I must have also experienced the It's a Small World attraction which cemented my lasting fondness for it:

img013_zpsjk82raw0.jpg

Great Pics thank you for posting

Seals-  great photos!  It's cool that you got to go to the 1964 World's Fair.  And even cooler if you got to ride It's a Small World while there.  Maybe you rode on the Carousel of Progress too!

TCD

It's funny that the first time I went to the MK in Jan of 76 I hadn't put together that some of the attractions at the Worlds Fair were put done by Walt Disney, not until I went to the COP and it all clicked.

img013_zpsjk82raw0.jpg

I thought I remembered seeing that dinosaur before.

We were camping at Dinosaur Valley State Park in Texas over Thanksgiving this past year:

dino_zps5w0gl8of.jpeg

From Texas Parks and Wildlife -"Dinosaur Models - The fiberglass models of the tyrannosaurus rex and apatosaurus were built by a New York artist, Paul Jonas, to exhibit at the New York City World’s Fair in 1964 - 65, then donated to the park in 1970"

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/dinosaur-valley

I thought I remembered seeing that dinosaur before.

We were camping at Dinosaur Valley State Park in Texas over Thanksgiving this past year:

dino_zps5w0gl8of.jpeg

From Texas Parks and Wildlife -"Dinosaur Models - The fiberglass models of the tyrannosaurus rex and apatosaurus were built by a New York artist, Paul Jonas, to exhibit at the New York City World’s Fair in 1964 - 65, then donated to the park in 1970"

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/dinosaur-valley

Wow! That is cool. I did some quick Googling to see if I could find out what happened to the dinosaurs and I read about Paul Jonas but not where they are now. Thanks.  I wonder if I could convince my brother to take a road trip and we could re-create our photo. He could hang on the fence instead of the chain. I definitely move slower these days so I wouldn't be blurred. 

Seals-  great photos!  It's cool that you got to go to the 1964 World's Fair.  And even cooler if you got to ride It's a Small World while there.  Maybe you rode on the Carousel of Progress too!

TCD

I'm hoping I did.  I have the guide and map from the Fair which I found when we cleared out the attic of my parents' house before selling it, but I don't remember anything about going. Likely I spent most of my time running around and paid no attention to anything. 

img018_zpspjl3f0hy.jpg

img017_zpsldulodnt.jpg

I meant to ask- How sure are you that those photos are from the Fort?  It looks more like a state park campground to me- I don't remember the Fort ever having picnic tables that look like the one in your photo, and it doesn't look like there's a coquina pad for the tent, or any pavement for the car.  I'm not saying that it's not the Fort,  but those photos don't look like any old time Fort photos I've seen.

TCD

TCD

I was 4 years old when I went to the New York World's Fair (twice).  I remember Small World and Carousel of Progress.  I remember them well along with the AT&T ride (including the amazing video phone), the Ford exhibit and the Chrysler turbine cars.  I still have Uniroyal Ferris Wheel toy.