If you are going to the Fort this summer...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mo, I don't envy you and Brian. The amount of work it takes to keep the three of them clean and bug free must be daunting Whenever we're lucky enough to have our grand dogs, below, stay with us, we en

Savannah had her annual check up today. I asked our vet if we could/should give Savannah her monthly topical for fleas/ticks (generic frontline) a week early in late September. She said it wouldnt'

Ticks were really bad here in Virginia this year. I know that I pulled half a dozen off of myself and the kids this year. It's bad when the kids calmly say "oh, I've got another tick, can someone get it? or Oh mom,you don't need to check for ticks before I get in bed, I already pulled them off of me." :wacko: And two of my dogs were infected with ehrlichiosis this year even with using advantix. Luckily, we caught it and started antibiotics right away. So put me in the I hate ticks group as well.

how are people getting ticks? i know you're not rolling around in the grass with your dog. are they like ninja ticks that covertly attack unsuspecting tourists? (lol) we'll be in an rv (with dd and ds) in late august and if i could frontline all of us, you know i would. (dog will already have his monthly dose) what are some tips? specific products/insecticide to spray around our site? (yes, i'll be getting the ortho home defense previously mentioned) i live in the northeast and hike with my dog but stay away during summer b/c don't want to deal with added hassle of ticks that the frontline missed. aren't ticks against disney policy?

Savannah had her annual check up today. I asked our vet if we could/should give Savannah her monthly topical for fleas/ticks (generic frontline) a week early in late September. She said it wouldnt' hurt. So Savannah is getting her normal Oct 1, on Sep 21st before we head to the Fort.

As I told her, I was not only concerned about ticks, but possibly fleas from other dogs. She said to go for it, that he topical can actually be appplied every 3 weeks.

She also said that lyme disease if more common in Va and north. It has been spotten in some areas of NC, but not heavily as the northern states.

FWIW my gang have picked up fleas in FL the past 2 trips. Near as we can figure it's from hanging out in their pen on the coquina - although last year Brian put a tarp down under their mat so who knows.

We'd given them all the Sentry herbal stuff before we left, but apparently it's powerless against FL fleas.

We ended up going to Petco and getting some Advantix before we left. We avoided a major outbreak - a week of baths/combing out when we got home and they were gone - but it was still a hassle. The most annoying thing was actually that we'd spot only 1 or 2 fleas every couple of days, but we knew if there were even a couple of fleas, it could turn into something much worse - so we had to keep up with the baths/combing for a while longer.

This year they'll get the Advantix before we leave home.

Oh and Lyme Disease (in dogs and humans) is horrid up this way. It's rampant in CT, most of MA and RI and the southern parts of VT, NH and Maine - and it's creeping further north every year. :(

I have decided that Florida fleas will be right there with the cock roaches surviving the nuclear explosion. They are tough! I think they have become immune to most all of the flea treatments/preventatives. Sometimes there are just huge patches on the ground of fleas. This past winter just didn't ever get cold enough for long enough to kill them back.

That definitely explains it, Rita!

We've had good luck up this way using the Sentry Natural Defense herbal stuff to repel them, but I practically drowned the poor dogs in it last year and they still picked up those oh-so-hearty Florida fleas.

We've had a similar problem up here with having a mild winter - the ticks and fleas are out of control this summer and I know friends in southern New England that were picking ticks off their dogs all winter.

FWIW my gang have picked up fleas in FL the past 2 trips. Near as we can figure it's from hanging out in their pen on the coquina - although last year Brian put a tarp down under their mat so who knows.

So Mo, have you thought about changing to a premium site for this reason?

And do you think Sav who will be tied out on the pavement pad might get off easier?

Nope - sticking with 300, fleas, cypress needles and all! 8)

You definitely might have better luck keeping Savannah from hanging out in the coquina too much. The way things shake out with our gang, usually it ends up with Lyn hanging out in the pen, Brady inside on "his" chair, and Bz tied out with us - where she often likes to scratch herself a little nest in the sand and sack out...

5442277238_a2012f0c85_z.jpg

Anyone wanna guess who's most likely picking up the fleas??

Advantix did the trick on them last year - but those were October/November fleas, not height-of-summer fleas.

We're just down the loop from Jen's site but we haven't had any ticks yet, knock on wood. Our dogs are on capstar for fleas, but since are barkers - not to mention hot for long haired beasties - they spend their time inside the TT uness we're walking them. So far we've been very lucky I guess. We also don't have quite as many trees here as at the top of the loop where Jen was...

Thanks for the info Mo!!! :wave1:

After consulting with Tony, we are staying in the 300. Tony wants to make sure he can stake the EZ Up down, so we will be preferred vs premium. And since Tony does all the cooking while camping, his call... :whew:

We both agreed though:

Savannah will be treated early

We will be spraying Home Defense

Savannah will be tied out on the front side of the RV on the pavement

And we will be taking some medicated shampoo just in case

I hate fleas!

Bring a flea comb too.

If you check regularly and happen to spot one or two, that alone can help keep things from getting worse.

When our gang picked them up last year, we didn't want to bomb them with any more chemicals besides the Advantix - especially since we only saw very few and not a lot of the flea "dirt" which usually suggests a bigger infestation.

Instead we flea combed them daily, gave them baths with just regular pet shampoo every other day-ish (letting the soap sit on them for a while and then rinsing good), and vacuumed the rugs every day. No sign of fleas after about 4-5 days and never any problems with them taking root in the house. No bombing, flea baths, collars or any other pesticides required.

Brady wasn't too happy about all the "grooming" but the girls treated it like they were getting a week at the spa!

Brady wasn't too happy about all the "grooming" but the girls treated it like they were getting a week at the spa!

Mo, I don't envy you and Brian.

The amount of work it takes to keep the three of them clean and bug free must be daunting

Whenever we're lucky enough to have our grand dogs, below, stay with us, we end up with enough fur to make a third dog.

But they're worth it. They're so well behaved and fun to have around.

edd14.jpg

My gang is surprisingly low maintenance compared to many of my border collie friends.

They rarely get actual baths (unless someone rolls in something). In the summer they spend a lot of time in our tiny, spring-fed pond in Maine, which makes them shiny clean - as long as you can get them to run from the pond to the grass without a detour through the mud.

In the winter they spend loads of time playing in the snow (when we have it) and the result is similar.

At home we usually have a kiddie pool for them on the deck in the summer - which they all love to splash around in and is good for a quick rinse off when Brian doesn't feel like swiffering the kitchen floor. 8)

Brady's coat is the worst when it comes to grooming. He's all gorgeous and silky from the waist forward (with virtually no effort) but the back end is one gigantic, velcro shrubbery that requires brushing, dethatching and trimming fairly regularly as it often gets long enough to drag the ground and tends to pick up anything it drags across. In the winter he has the longest hair on his feet that I've ever seen on anything that wasn't a hobbit.

Lyn came to us 3 years ago with barely any coat at all and a broken leg. She now has a coat as thick as Brady's, although thankfully not as long. She tends to get the most dirty, but she's also the one that will make a bee line for any body of water, so we consider her "self-cleaning." :D

Bz is the easiest of all - loves to be groomed and has a smooth, flat coat that never gets too long and rarely mats. However being a white-faced dog, she will also manage to cover herself in dirt/mud until you'd swear she was a brown dog. She's also the one that sheds profusely a couple of times a year, with clouds of white hair blowing out of her in the breeze. Usually happens when we're at the Fort - which probably makes the nesting birds pretty darned happy, but not the neighbors downwind when they're picking fine, white hairs out of their burgers. :rofl2:

And even when the hooligans get covered in mud from nose to tail, we let them dry, give them a quick brush, and they're gorgeous and shiny again.

Since they all have completely different types of coats, and I'm a lousy groomer, I'm going to credit the food. :)

And Lou - that's the cleanest, best groomed pair of hairy dogs I've seen in a long time (not to mention beautiful)!