If you are going to the Fort this summer...

Make sure you be prepared for ticks. Yes, those litttle brown things that annoy your pets and also yourself. I neglected to put the tick and flea spray on the dog before we left and I paid it big time, I picked those things out of the dog's toes and all from under his chest and belly. After we rushed to the store to get the flea meds, we then had issues with the little buggers getting on our clothes. I even found one in my hair when I took a shower today. He was trying to attach his little self to my hand. I have not seen them this bad ever. I heard another Fiend telling me that he was getting them on his clothes too in his loop.

As far as the yellow flies are concerned, they were bad at dusk at the very beginning of our stay but as of today, you see maybe one at dusk. One the night comes, they go away. They are nothing like two years ago. I guess you trade one insect for another here, lol.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mo, I don't envy you and Brian. The amount of work it takes to keep the three of them clean and bug free must be daunting Whenever we're lucky enough to have our grand dogs, below, stay with us, we en

Savannah had her annual check up today. I asked our vet if we could/should give Savannah her monthly topical for fleas/ticks (generic frontline) a week early in late September. She said it wouldnt'

Ew..... hate ticks so much!!

We usually get a reprieve from them up here over the winter, but becuase this winter was so mild with hardly any snow, they never went dormant.

Luckily they've been mostly staying out of our yard and I haven't found many on the dogs, although Brian picked one up in Maine this spring.

Friends of mine in CT can't take their dogs hiking without picking dozens off them.

We try and keep from putting too much chemical stuff on our dogs when we can, but we now dose them all with Advantix when we come down to FL after having them pick up fleas the last 2 years in a row (another useless parasite).

Are FL ticks deer ticks - aka carry Lyme Disease?

Hey, I have some of that Frontline stuff that I put on my dogs once a month for fleas and ticks.... You know, that stuff that you squirt between their shoulder blades... Do you think it would work on me?

On second thought, if I did use it, I might want to lick..... ummm better not go there... :rofl2: :rofl2:

Just to let everyone know, the lowcountry of SC is the same. We have pulled a couple off of Savannah, Tony and myself this season already.

Savannah is treated year round with Frontline equivalent and the yard (area closest to our house) is treated several times a year. But we are getting them in the surrounding woods and areas.

We didn't have a winter really.

Even though we keep Kassie treated with Frontline, she still contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever last year. May have had something to do with her seizures starting. Be careful!

Apparently there have been more and more cases of RMSF cropping up in this part of the world too.

We haven't had much luck with Frontline here. While it doesn't repel ticks, it's supposed to kill them within 24 hours - which is how long it supposedly takes for them to infect you with something nasty. We've picked plenty of live ticks off our dogs while they had Frontline on them - and big fat ones that has clearly been there for a while.

We switched over to Advantix which seems to do a bang up job at repelling and killing fleas and supposedly actually repels ticks as well.

I think you have to be careful with Advantix if you also have cats in the house. IIRC it's very toxic to cats.

Apparently there have been more and more cases of RMSF cropping up in this part of the world too.

We haven't had much luck with Frontline here. While it doesn't repel ticks, it's supposed to kill them within 24 hours - which is how long it supposedly takes for them to infect you with something nasty. We've picked plenty of live ticks off our dogs while they had Frontline on them - and big fat ones that has clearly been there for a while.

We switched over to Advantix which seems to do a bang up job at repelling and killing fleas and supposedly actually repels ticks as well.

I think you have to be careful with Advantix if you also have cats in the house. IIRC it's very toxic to cats.

We use Advantix and it repels ticks.

We have used Advantix in the past. However, our vet stopped carying it, so we switched to what they have.

And this past December, we won a raffle for a year's supply, so unless the ticks get really bad we will use that first.

However, we think treating the yard is almost as important for daily care as the topical. We treat with Dyasinon 2-3 times a year, and have NEVER had a flea issue in our house. At either house. So fingers crossed this continues. And of course Savannah isn't in the yard for a day or two once treated. But it does smell like the "squeeter" truck after we treat.

We use Advantix and it repels ticks.

We have used Advantix in the past. However, our vet stopped carying it, so we switched to what they have.

We use Advantix on Mason too and have never had a flea or tick problem. Our vet stopped carrying the "big boy" size in the office so I make them order it and ship it to the house.

(He's not fat...he's big boned ^-^ )

Ew..... hate ticks so much!!

We usually get a reprieve from them up here over the winter, but becuase this winter was so mild with hardly any snow, they never went dormant.

Luckily they've been mostly staying out of our yard and I haven't found many on the dogs, although Brian picked one up in Maine this spring.

Friends of mine in CT can't take their dogs hiking without picking dozens off them.

We try and keep from putting too much chemical stuff on our dogs when we can, but we now dose them all with Advantix when we come down to FL after having them pick up fleas the last 2 years in a row (another useless parasite).

Are FL ticks deer ticks - aka carry Lyme Disease?

these were not the deer ticks we were seeing

they were the little bitty brown dog ticks and they were everywhere

brown-dog-tick.jpg

and yes, they carry diseases

once I remembered that I had forgotten to put the Frontline on the dog, I ran to the store and got some pronto. That stopped the ones on the dog, but not them getting on us. I found them in my hair, in the bed, on our clothes, in the shower, etc.

We are actually contemplating bombing the motorhome just in case we missed some on our clothes.

You can get Frontline and Advantix online - usually for a good bit cheaper than the vet or even Petco/Petsmart have them.

These sites have always been pretty reliable and fairly cheap...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

http://www.1800petmeds.com/

these were not the deer ticks we were seeing

they were the little bitty brown dog ticks and they were everywhere

brown-dog-tick.jpg

and yes, they carry diseases

Those are the ones we typically see in Maine too. I think they carry RMSF, although it's not as rampant as Lyme.

That is why we have to use Frontline. Argent shares the house with cats.

Yeah, you have to be super careful. They say that as long as the cats don't lick or groom the dog until the stuff is dry it's safe, but I don't think I'd take the chance.

My shoes are not the problem. They are coming off the trees and getting on our clothes.

sulfer gets into your blood/sweat repells ticks

You can get Frontline and Advantix online - usually for a good bit cheaper than the vet or even Petco/Petsmart have them.

These sites have always been pretty reliable and fairly cheap...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

http://www.1800petmeds.com/

Those are the ones we typically see in Maine too. I think they carry RMSF, although it's not as rampant as Lyme.

Yeah, you have to be super careful. They say that as long as the cats don't lick or groom the dog until the stuff is dry it's safe, but I don't think I'd take the chance.

Yeah, the dumb cats lick the dog and the dumb dog licks the cats, so I am out of luck. lol

I have been seeing reports of the RMSF popping up all over the south this summer, so I don't think it is isolated at all this year. We barely had a winter season, so I am not surprised at all. I just am used to them being on the pets, not us.

When we travel, we take Ortho Home Defense with us. We use it to spray down the areas around our RV in the field (NASCAR races) and site. We are discrete while applying. Brown bags are for more than booz. :flush2:

This is to take care of ants, and any other biting sucker that we can kill. :banghead: