Nebraska. Why yes there is more than cornfields.

So the million dollar question is, "Did you meet up with our favorite Nebraska fiend?"

No, and it was my fault. Denise was working every day, and between my long hours and getting kids different places I missed my chance. I was a bad host.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not asking myself, why go to Nebraska. One of my most memorable business trips, ever, to observe factory automation was to of all places, Nebraska. It was during one of the coldest and snowiest wi

Ok, you had me at Farmall. I grew up on one of those. Also, love the parade theme. I bet NYC or Boston has never had a 4th of July parade themed The Wonderful World of Books. That's why I love sma

This is what I'm talkin about. This is the USA. I'll take this over WDW any day.

Yeah!!!! Another trip report!!!!

Thanks for reading along. Sorry for the delay. Trying to get back into the being home routine.

I'm not asking myself, why go to Nebraska. One of my most memorable business trips, ever, to observe factory automation was to of all places, Nebraska. It was during one of the coldest and snowiest winters ever. The high tech manufacturing going on there surprised and amazed me.

And the Nebraska people were just great, real Americans. They showed me a great time.

I even bought a bright red Corn Husker sweat shirt.

I feel so honored that you chose my trip report to be the one you are reading. When you add in that you also bought a bright red Cornhusker sweatshirt. Well I just had to give you a green arrow for that.

You are right about the real American feeling you get from Nebraskans. You will see more of this as the report goes on.

I love TRs about places I am unfamiliar with! Your kids are cuties!

Thank You. They may drive me crazy at times, but I do know how blesed I am to have them. I happy to be able to share something new with you.

After seeing your pics I cant help singing the National Lampoon Vacation song....

I love seeing the comparison pic of the girls. They were so tiny!! :heart:

I'm along for the ride, carry on.

The girls were so little then. Especially Jessica. You can't see it, but Steve is actually holding her up so her head is above the cardboard cutout. Even on the steps behind it she was too small. She has had a growth spurt this last year and I think I have to give up my hope that one of my children will not pass me in height. She is now 10 and just shy of the 5' mark.

The Franklin area. Yeah, that's not too far from me. IT'S ONLY WHERE I LIVE!!! And if I was at the office, I could have waved at you on I-65 as you went by. But no, I'm not mad that you didn't stop to say hello. Nope, not mad at all. :popo:

I know. I know. Bob already yelled at me. The girls want to go to Macy's. They apparently sell the perfume they both want (Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift brands) so, I was thinking a trip to Cool Springs is in order. I will let you both know when we go.

I am in. I happen to know there is more to Nebraska than cornfields. There are flood waters too. I know I saw them last year!

When we passed the areas that had been flooded last year we commented on the drastic differences in a year.

Looking forward to learning more about Nebraska!

Thank You. I look forward to sharing with you.

I'm in! Yes I admit I believe all Nebraska has is cornfields. We have been through the State many times but have never stopped. Waiting for the next installment!

It will take longer, but I really encourage you to take the Nebraska Byways http://www.visitnebr.../scenic-byways/ through the state rather than stay on I-80. There is so much more to the state. My goal each time we go is to explore more of the state.

I am on board and looking forward to the next episode!

Glad to have you along. Sorry for the delay in getting to the next episode.

I'm in too! Great report so far!

Thank You.

I like corn. :wave1:

Please continue. :jumpforjoy

Now. :clint:

Sorry I missed that Now part. I will get back to this shortly.

:yay: I'm in!

I'm in too. :)

Good, but you better behave or I might need to separate you two.

So the million dollar question is, "Did you meet up with our favorite Nebraska fiend?"

Sadly No.

if you get a chance definitely meet up with rob! i wish we could of met the clan while we were there. but, when you don't know where you're going and have a short time to get there.... <shrug>

:rofl3:

great tr so far.. if you made it through chi-town then did you come up through wisconsin and not give a shout out? now, you know, this just can't go on...you must at least let us know when to wave to you... :clint:

We are traveling from Alabama. So the states we go through are: Tennesse, Kentucky, Illinois (no where near Chicago), Missouri, and a little bit of Iowa. to reach Nebraska.

No, and it was my fault. Denise was working every day, and between my long hours and getting kids different places I missed my chance. I was a bad host.

It was not your fault at all. We always started our day too late and then packed to much into it. I had so many people I was hoping to be able to see when we were in Omaha, but I only got to meet up with one of them. It was a friend that I had not really spent time with since I was about 12 years old. I have to say our lives went in complete different directions, but when we got together and visited it was like no time had passed.

Ok. That break really put us behind.

Steve is now working from home. There are pros and cons of this. I no longer have to worry about if the girls are going to stay home or go with me if I have to go somewhere during the day. But, it's cutting into my Fiend time. :rofl3:

It was now my turn to drive. So, Jessica had the camera.

We told her to be sure to get a picture of her future home.

Here it is.

P1030399.jpg

:rofl3: :rofl2: Yup she is trouble with a Capital T. Gonna need to keep an eye on that one.

After awhile she starting playing around with Tweety Bird. I believe she had him dancing and singing for us.

P1030401.jpg

P1030402.jpg

This guy came speeding by us on a motorcycle.

P1030403.jpg

Of course his shirt was flying up in the back and he had the plumber look going on so, Jessica was desperately trying to get a picture.

P1030404.jpg

P1030405.jpg

Oh yes as you can see we have reached St. Louis.

I don't know why, but every time we have the same discussion.

Steve: Should we go through the city or around it?

Me: I don't care.

Steve to the kids: Do you want to see the arch?

Kids: No, not really.

Steve: Should we go through the city?

Me: I really don't care, but we should probably decide soon.

Steve: Let's go through the city.

Going through the city and seeing the arch from the van.

P1030408.jpg

P1030409.jpg

P1030413.jpg

P1030416.jpg

So right about now. I figure Steph is really feeling like she is in the National Lampoon Vacation Movie. But instead of "Look kids its Big Ben!" It's "Look kids the Arch!" :hah: :rofl3: :rofl2:

P1030418.jpg

P1030419.jpg

The sun is starting to set.

P1030425.jpg

That means we will be looking for a place to stay for the night soon. But first we had to cross another bridge.

P1030427.jpg

We decided to stop after St. Louis, but before Columbia. So we ended up in a place called Kingdom City.

She is now 10 and just shy of the 5' mark.

I am a "little" older than 10, and still shy of the 5' mark. ???

Were you really on the way to Walley World?!

Holiday Road oooad oooad, Holiday Road oooad oooad....smiley_singing.gif

Now the question is just how many are in the facility. After all family member felt the need to move within eye sight of the place..... :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Actually the family was there first and then came the prison. Now if it was a mental hospital... :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I am hoping the DH is not reading along! :rofl3:

Holiday Road oooad oooad, Holiday Road oooad oooad....smiley_singing.gif

Oh no!!! Now this is going to be looping in my head all day!

smiley_singing.gif

Mine too.

Quick someone sing something else.

We have the same conversation every time we go through Atlanta, Yvonne. I don't know why Mike bothers to ask me. We always go through Atlanta. :))

Great update!!

We go where McNally tells us to go... unless the campground says don't use GPS to find us.

We use the GPS that we have in the car and the one on the phone, but when there is more than one way of getting there then his engineering mind starts going into over-drive. "Do we go this way?" Do we go that way?" "What happens if we go this way?" Will there be a lot of traffic?" Yeah it's a good thing he didn't go into management. Decision making is not his strong suit. :rofl3:

The picture of the prison looks like the one outside of Ina, IL.

Some of the hubbys family lives there. In fact when we stand in his Aunt and Uncles driveway, we can see the prison.

I should clarify, they live in Ina not the prison! :rofl3:

no...your secret is out. No taking it back now! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Drats!! :rofl3:

So are you saying Jessica could have a friend in there or not? :clint: If she could we should probably find a time to meet your family before she gets there. :rofl3:

Now the question is just how many are in the facility. After all family member felt the need to move within eye sight of the place..... :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Actually the family was there first and then came the prison. Now if it was a mental hospital... :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I am hoping the DH is not reading along! :rofl3:

So you are saying that the family caused them to open a new prison facility and has put the town in need of a mental hospital as well.....

:yourekillinme: :rotfl6:

I'm in too.

I have been to Nebraska exactly once. Just a quick trip to Omaha. I had a great meal in a steakhouse some where downtown. I was impressed with the place.

Looking forward to the rest of the report.

TCD

Yeah you're here!

And from separate states. :)

I tawt I taw a putty tat!!!! .... AND THE arch. The gateway to the west! (I've been up there. Very cool!)

You did! You did! My son was very disappointed that they did not include the arch scene in the Percy Jackson Movie. He felt they left a critical element from the book out. I have been there too, but I think the last time that I actually went up to the top I was about Jessica's age.

If you get up to Cool Springs let me know. I could practically spit on the mall from my office.

I will let you know, but please warn me before you spit. I want to make sure I am out of the way.