Nebraska. Why yes there is more than cornfields.

I know you are asking yourself. Why on earth anyone would choose to go to Nebraska for their summer vacation? After all there is nothing there but corn, cows and oh yeah a college football stadium with lots of red.

On this trip my goal is to show you that there is more than that to Nebraska. How did we get to this point of having our vacations to Nebraska? Well simply because that is where Steve is from. Actually I grew up there too, but we never knew each other there. My dad was in the Air Force and was stationed at Offutt Air Force Base in Bellevue, Nebraska. We lived in a small subdivision on the corner of Highway 50 and Hwy 370 near Springfield, Nebraska from 1976-1983. This is close to the area where Rob (BRDof3) lives. Steve is from the Sandhills in a place called Arnold, Nebraska. The closest large city is North Platte. We met in Maryland though. So, there you have it we go back to Nebraska to visit family and friends. We talk often about moving back there and honestly if the opportunity came up we would probably go.

Going to Nebraska of course is nothing new for us, but I wanted us to go to some places that we had never been to before. So, I started my search. Remember I am the obsessive compulsive planner. In my searching I found the Nebraska Byways tour. I thought it looked perfect. We could drive from Alabama to Nebraska and then take the byways around and through the state. I was even hoping to rent a class C motor home once we got to Omaha. That idea got scratched really early on. I really didn’t want to rent from a large company and there are not too many smaller private companies that rent campers in Nebraska. The ones that do basically give you nothing in the camper. So, the renting of the rv was out. That’s ok we could still do the byways. Right? Well no that idea was nixed by everyone else. Steve had wanted to go to Colorado, but with all the fires out there we decided that would not be a good idea either. So, our final decision was Arnold, Nebraska from July 2- July 8th and Omaha from July 8- July 13th. Then go to Kansas City, Missouri from July 13-July15th. The Omaha part got shortened by a day as we decided to add an extra day on to the Kansas City part.

Steve wanted to leave on Saturday, but Drew had an opportunity to go white water rafting with a friend. The first time he went he didn’t really like it and I felt he should really give it another try. He went and had a blast.

He got back around noon on Sunday and we got the van packed up kids and all.

P1030356.jpg

P1030354.jpg

Jessica brought Laney along for the trip. Well actually she brought her and what seemed like a million other dolls and stuffed animals. :rofl3:

P1030355.jpg

Look she already has some more of them out.

P1030357.jpg

Before we knew it we were in Tennessee around the Franklin area. Not knowing exactly where Dave, INC, Bob, Kathy or Yensid live I decide then was good time to start waving to them. :wave1:

Then we came upon this.

P1030358.jpg

The Batman building. I didn't do a trip report last year, but some of you may remember that it was right around here that the transmission in our van went out last year. We got a brand new transmission. I had the oil changed before we left. Replaced a tire that was bad and got the alignment taken care of. We were good for this trip. Well at least for the way there we were. :banghead:

Jessica decided it was a good time to put the Barbies away and bring out a stuffed animal.

P1030359.jpg

Since we are driving to Nebraska we will be a few rivers to get there. Here is the first one.

P1030360.jpg

At this point Jessica was done playing with her toys for awhile and wanted to take some pictures. Here is the bridge we had just gone over.

P1030362.jpg

Better them than us. :clint:

P1030363.jpg

I don't know why she took this one. It's in Kentucky.

P1030364.jpg

Rachel got creative with her cheese. Yes. We are those mean parents that pack bread and sandwich fixings for the road trips we take.

P1030366.jpg

Jessica gave the camera back to me. So, I snapped a picture of her.

P1030367.jpg

For the most part this was how she is when we travel.

This is how you will usually find Drew.

P1030368.jpg

Well unless he is driving. Which we did let him do a little bit of on this trip.

Here's Rachel.

P1030369.jpg

Look here comes another bridge. We are almost to Illinois.

P1030373.jpg

That means it is almost time for our first stop. You know the one. Fill the car with gasoline, empty the bladders, make sandwiches, and switch drivers.

Here we are.

P1030375.jpg

P1030374.jpg

Before leaving of course we had to get these photos.

P1030376.jpg

Ok swich places.

P1030379.jpg

Here is one taken about 5 years ago. We were commenting about how Steve use to have to lift Jessica up so she could see over.

111_1133.jpg

Well since this is where we took our first break. I guess it's a good place as any to take one here too.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not asking myself, why go to Nebraska. One of my most memorable business trips, ever, to observe factory automation was to of all places, Nebraska. It was during one of the coldest and snowiest wi

Ok, you had me at Farmall. I grew up on one of those. Also, love the parade theme. I bet NYC or Boston has never had a 4th of July parade themed The Wonderful World of Books. That's why I love sma

This is what I'm talkin about. This is the USA. I'll take this over WDW any day.

That is true, but we were a day behind when we were suppose to get home. Steve just really wanted to get the car home and into our driveway. If we had made it through on Sunday without car trouble then we wouldn't have gone through your area until around midnight. Somehow I don't think you would want to meet us for coffee then.

I know you are asking yourself. Why on earth anyone would choose to go to Nebraska for their summer vacation? After all there is nothing there but corn, cows and oh yeah a college football stadium with lots of red.

I'm not asking myself, why go to Nebraska. One of my most memorable business trips, ever, to observe factory automation was to of all places, Nebraska. It was during one of the coldest and snowiest winters ever. The high tech manufacturing going on there surprised and amazed me.

And the Nebraska people were just great, real Americans. They showed me a great time.

I even bought a bright red Corn Husker sweat shirt.

After seeing your pics I cant help singing the National Lampoon Vacation song....

I love seeing the comparison pic of the girls. They were so tiny!! :heart:

I'm along for the ride, carry on.

Before we knew it we were in Tennessee around the Franklin area. Not knowing exactly where Dave, INC, Bob, Kathy or Yensid live I decide then was good time to start waving to them. :wave1:

The Franklin area. Yeah, that's not too far from me. IT'S ONLY WHERE I LIVE!!! And if I was at the office, I could have waved at you on I-65 as you went by. But no, I'm not mad that you didn't stop to say hello. Nope, not mad at all. :popo:

I am in. I happen to know there is more to Nebraska than cornfields. There are flood waters too. I know I saw them last year!

Last year we were watching new flood reports almost daily. This year we are watching drought updates and waiting for water restrictions. Crazy.

if you get a chance definitely meet up with rob! i wish we could of met the clan while we were there. but, when you don't know where you're going and have a short time to get there.... <shrug>

:rofl3:

great tr so far.. if you made it through chi-town then did you come up through wisconsin and not give a shout out? now, you know, this just can't go on...you must at least let us know when to wave to you... :clint: