Salisbury Beach (getting to know me) TR

Hi Lou!

Nope, no amusement park anymore. You would be appalled at how the 'center' has changed! They are trying to revitalize it, but it's a lot of condo's and discount stores now. But a few vestiges of the old days remain. Happy's Fried dough and Lemonade (the best anywhere). Tripoili's Pizza, Cristy's pizza (which were you?) Joe's Playland, Carefree Arcade and Willy's ice cream are among the remaining places. The state reservation now has 484 camp sites and is extremely popular.

That was a great report!!

I love the fact that you can do river AND beach. How cool is that?!

Great picture of the family around the campfire. I wish more families would do that, not mine of course because someone is bound to leave with a black eye, but some other nice families, like yours. :)

Thanks for sharing with us.

I loved camping at Salisbury when I was younger! then in college a bunch of us used to grab a tent and camp there when we went deep sea fishing for the blues of the isle of sholes. My favorite seafood restraunt was Ray's up in Rye NH.

Does Hampton Beach still shot of the fireworks a couple of times a week? We used to sit on the beach at Salisbury and watch them.

Bill, Yes Hampton does free concerts in the new Half shell and Fireworks on Wednesday nights! Salisbury does free concerts in the center and Fireworks on Saturday nights. We could see the Salisbury fireworks well from our site, but the Hampton ones, not so much... There was someone on Plum Island that shot off his own private show almost every night and those were wonderful from the roof of our camper.

Thanks TCD for the nice comments. I'm so blessed with Ken's family! His Mom and Dad are amazing! He has an older sister and 2 younger brothers. Michelle (she's the one in the scooter--she has spina bifida, hence the scooter) She's married w/ 3 kids, 2 boys ages 14 & 11 and a 7 yr old girl. David is married w/ one child a 6 yr old girl, and Joey is also married w/ 2 girls ages 6 & 5. So lots and lots of little girls!!! All four of them all had girls w/in 13months of each other!!! how cool is that? So, we all try to camp at this campground the first week in July every year. next year will be the 5th year. And I look forward to it every year. The cousins all have such a good time together and there is always enough adults around to watch the kids and do lots of different activities (bike riding, crafts, going to the beach, walks, taking them to the playground, ect) it's truly a wonderful way to spend a week.

Nice TR sure showed a lot of family time and fun together.

Now about those pies... "eating a freshly baked pie ( Sat was Mixed berry pie, Tuesday was Apple/cranberry pie, Thursday was Pumpkin and Sat was Mixed berry again by request). YUMMY!!! We carry a cast iron dutch oven w/ us and I love to bake. ;D"

Was hoping someone would ask for receipes and how you bake them in the dutch oven? So there..it's asked. Do you mind sharing...please :)

Gretchen. I use a stainless steel 9" pie plate. For recipes I just use old family ones (pumpkin is off the side of the canned pumpkin).

Ken starts charcol then puts 17coals on the bottom (either in the dirt, or on the charcol stove) puts the 10" Dutch oven on top--the thing has little feet) then i put the pie in on top of 3 small similar size stones for air flow. Put top of oven on and put 15 coals on top. Let sit 30 min. Check pie. Move coals to make sure crust browns evenly. Cook 30 min more. Enjoy!

Apple Pie

5-6 apples (all different kinds) washed & cut up to cubes-I leave the peals on

2 handfulls dried cranberries

1 Tbls lemon juice

3Tbls flour

3/4 to 1cup sugar or Splenda

Palmful ground cinnamon

Freshly groung nutmeg

2 dashes salt

1 pilsbury pie crust

Splash of milk to brush onto top of pie

Berry is the same except use 2 bags frozen berries (I use one bag all blueberries & 1 mixed berry) and maybe a bit less cinnamon and nutmeg. And no cranberries.

I mix it up and do blueberry apple (3apples & 1bag blue berry) but same basic recipie.

I cheat and use the ready made pie crust while camping. No one seems to mind.

If u have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks Cindy for the info.

I use my mother's dutch oven( from the 1930's) for lots of in-house cooking. It's like 2 frying pans, a deep one and a shallow one that is also used as the lid. The bottoms are flat so it's not made for camp cooking. But I bet I could figure out a way to use it for pies. Tho, might not want to get all that charcoal on something used in the house, but sure sounds tasty. Do the pies have a baked on charcoal flavor? I do know the type of dutch oven you use.

Thanks for the easy to do receipe too.