Dad denies daughter Make-a-Wish Trip/Update in Post#16....she's going!

I'm not buying his reason. The girl does qualify by the Make A Wish policy.

Could it be payback to the mom for not allowing visitation?

That's kind of what I was thinking. If the foundation says she qualifies why would he stand in the way? I'm sure the kid has been through a lot.

While at first glance his reasoning appeared to have a small sliver of merit, the more I read it the angrier I got! He only recently got visitation privileges? Where has he been in the 4 years of her life?

To deny her this trip is reprehensible. Does he not realize what she's been through and just because she appears clear doesn't mean she always will be? Does he care about her at all?

I just googled her name. This is getting a lot of coverage.

Okay, off my soapbox now.

Kids who specifically request to go to WDW are turned over to Give Kids the World by whatever organization grants the wish. Having met and helped hundreds of families get through the process, I'm pretty familiar with who goes and who doesn't.

Doctors have to sign off that the Wish Child is not at risk if they make the trip, so kids who's illness is not under control will not be able to go. She is the ideal candidate.

However there are times, very rare, when a wish is granted when it's known that a child is short term terminal and that there is a possibility of them not making it to the end of the trip.

I understand where the dad is coming from. My daughter probably would have qualified for one of these trips, but I felt they should be reserved for kids whose diseases are terminal, and I was adamant that my kid wasn't going to fall into that category. So, if he's being genuine in his feelings and not simply trying to get at the mom and grandma, I get it.

I think the policy for eligibility is the correct one.

The policy of most of the hundreds of wish granting organization's around the world is that kids with a life threatening medical condition that has placed the child's life in jeopardy are eligible.

It's up to the individual organizations to draw the line.

... if he's being genuine in his feelings and not simply trying to get at the mom and grandma, I get it.

I think that's the point right there - IF he's being genuine, then it's admirable that he'd want another child to get the trip that "needs it more".

However I think there definitely are some holes in this story, not the least of which is the visitation issue and that the mom is still trying to raise money for the trip. That leads my suspicious mind to think there's a lot more going on here that we don't know about.

If that's the case, and this is some crazy game this guy is playing with motives not at all tied to the well being and happiness of his child, then shame on him.

Oh, and to give a plug to help Give Kids the World, may I reccomend staying at Staybridge Suites if you ever have to stay in a hotel for business somewhere. They support and have fundraisers for Give Kids the World!!! They were promoting their drive to raise money for them my last business trip there. Plus right now you get 1000 extra Priority Club points per night :)

I dont understand why it would matter to the father weather his kid went to disney by Make a Wish, or not. So why would he deny it? Would it cut into his visitation? Couldn't they work out something where he could see her more before they went or after they came back? Why cant she go meet the princesses and Mickey like all 4 year olds want to. I dont think its unreasonable that she should go to disney.

Now on the other hand, She is still young, Maybe hes thinking she wouldnt remember it since shes only 4? Maybe hes waiting till she is 6? Maybe hes just being a big stupid head (censoring myself) that doesnt care and wants to spite the mother? Maybe he blames the mother for what happened to the child?

In any reason, there still is no reason I can find that would make him Deny the trip to disney for the child, and I hope she gets to go and I Hope she has a good time reguardless if the father wants her to or not.

.....Just my opinion..... -Goes back to lurking-

The child is not "cured" she is in remission. She is a 4 year old child who has gone through treatments that no child should ever go through since she was 2 years old. What truly angers me about this whole thing is the father saying she is cured. His daughter has been diagnosed with cancer as such he should be well aware of all the facts of childhood cancer. No child is considered "cured" until they have been in remission for at least 5 years.

This and the ignorant line put in the movie Ted (which I refuse to see), "Don't peek or you will get childhood cancer." not only angers me, but make me more determined to raise the awareness about childhood cancer.

http://curechildhoodcancer.ning.com/page/facts-1

I dont understand why it would matter to the father weather his kid went to disney by Make a Wish, or not. So why would he deny it? Would it cut into his visitation? Couldn't they work out something where he could see her more before they went or after they came back? Why cant she go meet the princesses and Mickey like all 4 year olds want to. I dont think its unreasonable that she should go to disney.

Now on the other hand, She is still young, Maybe hes thinking she wouldnt remember it since shes only 4? Maybe hes waiting till she is 6? Maybe hes just being a big stupid head (censoring myself) that doesnt care and wants to spite the mother? Maybe he blames the mother for what happened to the child?

In any reason, there still is no reason I can find that would make him Deny the trip to disney for the child, and I hope she gets to go and I Hope she has a good time reguardless if the father wants her to or not.

.....Just my opinion..... -Goes back to lurking-

Pam,

I like this child of yours more and more!