Take it easy on a newbie...I need list help.

Hi everyone...

I followed someone from the DIS over and was beyond excited to find this site/forum. I just booked a trip for the first week of August for 5 nights - tent site. I've been to WDW a bazillion times it feels like but this is a completely new experience. I'm trying to get my rear in gear and start compiling my pile of stuff to take but I'm hoping there is a list posted somewhere so I can attempt to get everything I should need.

If anyone could kindly point me that direction I promise not to ask the repetitive newbie questions. :)

Thanks!

Maryann

We have a lot of tent campers and I am sure someone will answer soon. Have a wonderful trip

So glad you found us

WELCOME

we have a introduce yourself thread if you have time go there and let everyone know who you are, we love meeting new fiends

It depends on how much you think you need and how much you will actually use. A tent will be useful obviously, Do you want an air mattress, sleeping bag, or cot? Are you going to eat out or will you be cooking at the site? A bag or device for carrying your toiletries to the comfort station is also helpful. Don't forget towels too. Flashlights are nice to especially when making that middle of the night run to the comfort station. That's the basic stuff off the top of my head. I will see what else I can think of.

Most importantly though Welcome!!!

Welcome! I drive through HEB (Hurst, Euless, Beford) on the way to/from work every day... Benbrook to the Valley Ranch section of Irving. Don't you hate all the road construction?

Add laundry stuff to the list. I put laundry detergent into sandwich bags. One load per baggy.

Lots of quarters for ice and washers/dryers.

If you have room, your bicycles.

Have fun!

Welcome to the Group!

We tent camp every time at the Fort...except our next trip! We have 5 children. What we pack really depends on what we are planning to do. We usually have the meal plan with our tickets so as far as cooking goes we get by with just an electric kettle. This makes our coffee in the morning and the kids get oatmeal everyday. You can use it for mac-n-cheese too in a pinch.

The best advice I could give would be to set your tent up in the yard. As you use or finish using it, write that down and store in a bin. Bin is packed and ready to go. Don't forget extra spikes for the tent and do not forget a ground tarp. Carol mentioned a long time ago about using a cheep paint tarp that can easily be trimmed to the size of your tent. When you are finished camping, just roll it up and throw away. The sand at the Fort never goes away if you get it on your tent. Like Carol said, you need a fan and extension cords. Rope lights around the site make it bright enough to be safe yet not too bright. An Easy Up or the like is a good idea.

Keep us posted: :) 

If anyone could kindly point me that direction I promise not to ask the repetitive newbie questions. :)

Welcome Maryann!! You can ask as many questions as you like - newbie or otherwise. Just expect a few smart alecky responses and the occasional thread hijack - but then that's half the fun! 8)

If it's helpful for you, we've got a bunch of what we call "Info Pages" where we store a lot of the information that folks tend to ask about most often. You can find what we have on our Site Map page here...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/site-map-find-what-you-need-here-r99

underwear, never forget to pack underwear.

Beer too? Oh and the family.

Hmm... I think you have the order wrong...

1. Beer

2. Family

3. Underwear

:rofl2:

You guys ROCK. I just was able to get back on and see all of this, now my list has grown by pages. ;)

Seriously though, thank you all so much for the warm welcome and information. We have the basics...tent, canopy for over the tent but am trying to prepare for the heat. Plus we're flying in so trying to either compact everything enough to check on flight or ship a box this week to be there by the 2nd. I'm sure I'll get there and have some obscure camp item and no panties.

:rofl2:

I second or third the a/c... until I heard that you were flying. I've tent camped at the Fort in the summer and it was great for sleeping at night. The white noise it generates alone was worth wiggling it into the trunk. It also makes for a better night's sleep. However, I never got too hot in the shade during the day. I'm an outside sort of person, though.

As far as everything else, your needs are probably unique to your family. The one thing I always used more of than I thought was rope. Seems like there's always something you need to tie somehow.

If you can, pack a small tarp (don't open it before you leave, it's very compact in the bag). I'd put it up for rain/sun protection. Without them, one trip in particular would have been completely ruined. If nothing else, you can use it to cover your stuff that's outside when you leave.

And finally, have fun! There's nothing like tent camping at The Fort!

We tent camped quite a bit prior to our tt. We still tent camp for scouts.

Suggestion, it hot in Fl, we are in Tx, bring an a/c, if you bring a window unit, bring a stand to put the a/c on and a bucket that will fit underneath for the water drips. You will freeze at night, so awesome to haev a/c, especiallyy if you are going in the summer.

If you tent is big, bring an extra chair to put in the tent, nice to be able to sit down to put clothes, sock, read, etc.

We bring a portable dvd player, great for quite time for the kids.

I would suggest a clothes rack or line, for towels, etc.

Ant killer, we put it down first everytime we camp.

I bring a water hose with a squiter thing, Good for washing dishes, cleaning feet, etc. If you are cooking, we always have a 6ft table for our dirty dishes to wash and dry.

Storage bins for food to keep critters out. Lots of trash bags.

anti bacteria hand wash, paper towels. paperplates, plastic wear, sharp knife

first aid kit

Easy up for shade

ok, that about does it, we take tons of stuff camping, we have a compound.

We tent camped quite a bit prior to our tt. We still tent camp for scouts.

Suggestion, it hot in Fl, we are in Tx, bring an a/c, if you bring a window unit, bring a stand to put the a/c on and a bucket that will fit underneath for the water drips. You will freeze at night, so awesome to haev a/c, especiallyy if you are going in the summer.

If you tent is big, bring an extra chair to put in the tent, nice to be able to sit down to put clothes, sock, read, etc.

We bring a portable dvd player, great for quite time for the kids.

I would suggest a clothes rack or line, for towels, etc.

Ant killer, we put it down first everytime we camp.

I bring a water hose with a squiter thing, Good for washing dishes, cleaning feet, etc. If you are cooking, we always have a 6ft table for our dirty dishes to wash and dry.

Storage bins for food to keep critters out. Lots of trash bags.

anti bacteria hand wash, paper towels. paperplates, plastic wear, sharp knife

first aid kit

Easy up for shade

ok, that about does it, we take tons of stuff camping, we have a compound.

See anyone can help, even if your post count isn't high. Good job Cypressaggie!

Thank you, thank you!!

OK...the AC thing...unless I can fit something in a duffel I can check for $25 on the flight I don't see that happening. I'm assessing different fans but I'm beginning to get that overwhelmed feeling going on. I was thinking a couple regular small fans but that doesn't really cool anything, just move air.