Help Kindle, Kindle Fire, Nook, IPad

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have this thing that has a complete book on it. Except for the thickness, one version of it is about the same size as a Nook, Kindle, or other piece of electronic crap that you wasted your money on.

damn, I agree with Lou, but I bet I won't get any up arrows for it :techno:

i love holding a book but i can't carry 10 boxes of books in the RV....

I'm in the same boat as you Lorna...my Kindle's screen went all funky. I still don't know what happened to it. However, I do know that I will be buying another as I am now going through Kindle withdrawal (can't you tell by how often I'm posting here lately?).

I don't want a Fire cause a back lit device hurts my eyes after a while...thats why I don't read on my iPad. I don't like the Kindle Touch either. I read the Hunger Games Trilogy on Alex's touch the other weekend and I'm so used to being able to turn the page with either hand (buttons on both sides) on his touch you actually have to TOUCH the screen on the right side to turn the page! LOL

So I think I'm going to go with a Kindle 6" no keyboard. Amazon offered me a discount when I called practically crying that my Kindle stopped working. :drama:

I'm in the same boat as you Lorna...my Kindle's screen went all funky. I still don't know what happened to it. However, I do know that I will be buying another as I am now going through Kindle withdrawal (can't you tell by how often I'm posting here lately?).

if it just broke on it's own.... call amazon. They might replace it for free.

So YOU are the jackwagon that does that to all the libarary books!? Have you ever heard of a BOOKMARK? Another newfangled device I guess....

:rofl2: good one Dave, it serves him right for high-jacking my thread that all I wanted was a simple answer, guess you can't expect that from Lou -who is sooooooooo behind the TIMES

Google Nexus 7! Trust me on this....

I was reading about it today, is it good for reading outside. I don't read outside much, but of course as soon as I buy one that doesn't do well outside I have the time to sit and read.

The Nexus is awesome. We have 2 so far. I will probably buy the kids 2 for Christmas. They are super fast with a quad core processor. It has a HD screen that is nearly the same pixel density as the iPad 3. It is running android jelly bean os which is extremely polished and smooth. It is much more capable than the fire or nook. It has full access to the android market. Visibility is decent in sun, but it doesn't compare to e ink.....nothing does.

if it just broke on it's own.... call amazon. They might replace it for free.

I did Nicki...it wasn't under warranty any longer so the best they could do was offer me a discount on the purchase of a new one. Now to justify parting with $64 now when we haven't bought our park tix yet for the January trip. Lol

If you're still within the warranty period, amazon will usually replace a broken kindle no matter the reason....historically, you're allowed one "oops, I broke it" free replacement. We had to do that with dd's kindle. After the warranty period, if you talk with kindle customer service (not the general amazon number, but the kindle specific number) during the weekday, during PST business hours, they may replace it for free anyway, and if not, they'll probably offer you a substantial discount.

We are a 3-kindle family, one for each of us. All are older kindle keyboards that have the free 3G access. We don't have internet on our phones, so we use the kindle to check email and such when we're out and about. Mine is nearly permanently attached to my hand, I love it so much. I read out in the sun whenever possible, so the e-ink, no-glare screen is a must for me.

I have to LOL at Lou's comment! I think you were channeling my fellow boards members of the Friends of the Library! I just spent a the weekend with them, working our annual book sale, and most of them think I'm nuts for loving my e-reader so. But when I gave them a chance to play with mine, and they saw the changeable text size and how easy it is on the eyes, they changed their tune! I pretty much always have 3 books going at once, so the kindle is great for having them all with me, all of the time.

Lorna, I'm in the pro-go with another kindle camp. You can reload all your books from your Amazon account. No muss no fuss. I love mine even if Lou is a grouch about the entire subject. :rolleyes:

If you actually ran to the library every time you wanted a book, wouldn't that be an added advantage of reading books?

So what you're saying is that you're freeloading (KIDDING) by getting those books for free or avoiding paying the author of the book by borrowing instead of doing the right thing and buying the book. Have I got that right "My Cherie"? See what I did there.

And the last point is, I forgot, what was I saying. Oh ya, you just don't want to dust them.

Do you have a book on Alzheimers that I can borrow?

Ten boxes of books? Get out of that RV and do something instead of reading books.

Free books are offered at the discretion of the author/publishing house obviously in hopes that you will like it and purchase other titles by the author. Sometimes it's a temporary offer.... sometimes not. I have certainly bought 5 to 6 books in a series (more than once) because I tried the free one and loved it. If I'd checked them out at the library the author wouldn't have seen a dime from me. The author came out pretty good by giving one away for free. ;D

I don't have any alzheimers books but maybe a self-help book titled "Overcoming Snarkiness" ??? :heart: J/K :bighug:

btw... the kindle is the reason I don't need a box for my books anymore. :rofl2:

If I can't fold the corner of the page over to mark my place, I'm not reading it.

The Kindle offers that feature too! :rofl3: :raspberry2:

Thanks everyone. I just came from Best Buy and brought the Samsnug Glalaxy Tab 2 (starting to feel like Donnie ask everyone's opinion and then do something else, so I am sorry). I don't know why I brought this one, other then they saw me coming. I was asking about the Kindle Fire and they said if I wanted that, I should look at this it is much better. Ask me if I know why it's better, don't bother I HAVE NO CLUE. $50 more must be better right????

I am thinking about just going back and buying the basic Kindle again. All I did was use it for reading and didn't do much of that, I have been reading the same book since I don't know when. But I did like the idea that I can get all the stuff from the internet and not have to take out my laptop or netbook (which I brought so it would be smaller than my laptop and easier to use) now I just thought this would be smaller than the netbook, but bigger than my phone for reading ff and fb.

The more I read what I just wrote, you all must think I am nuts. Guess what LOL

I do like the way the goole one sounds so maybe I will buy that then return it when I go back to my original plan. I am going to sleep this all is giving me a headach

I say suck it up and get the Ipad that you have wanted for a while now. You can have the Kindle app and still keep your books.

Let Lou and Bob keep their rotary books and phones. We can go watch them in the Smithsonian with the rest of the relics. :rofl2:

I say suck it up and get the Ipad that you have wanted for a while now. You can have the Kindle app and still keep your books.

Let Lou and Bob keep their rotary books and phones. We can go watch them in the Smithsonian with the rest of the relics. :rofl2:

I think (notice I say think) I deceided (not that I can make one any more) that I don't really want the Ipad, I don't think I would use it enough to justify the cost of it.

I think (notice I say think) I deceided (not that I can make one any more) that I don't really want the Ipad, I don't think I would use it enough to justify the cost of it.

:rofl2: Lorna.... I :heart: You!!!

Now go get the kindle fire or plain kindle and be done with it! lol. I have the kindle 3G and can go online but it's all black and white.

Oh yeah.... I am now set up to check out books from the Library on Kindle. Doesn't get much more convenient than that! :))

you don't know what you are missing....

but, who am I to convince you? :rofl2:

• 1 month later...

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Okay, this debate has been going on in my house for several days about the Kindle and other tablets. My b-day is coming up and my parents' have graciously offered to get me one but I can't make up my mind on what/which to get. (Never in a million years would I even ask for the iPad from them.) So I said I was going to get on Fort Fiends and see what y'all had to say about it. My family could not understand why I would ask a bunch of Disney camping fanatics about a tablet. I assured them I was quite positive it had been discussed around here. And what do you know...I was right...and I usually am. ;)