Specialty Mickey Waffles - Roaring Fork, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

From the Disney Food Blog. Follow the link for more photos...

Guest Review: Specialty Mickey Waffles at Roaring Fork in Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Aug 21st, 2012 by AJ.

Join me in welcoming back Marc Stumbo with a review of the sweet breakfast waffle dishes at Roaring Fork at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. I’ve been wanting to share these for a long time!

“Roaring Fork,” which I believe translates roughly to “Fishy sign, hidden Mickey Waffles” is located deep inside the majestic Wilderness Lodge on Bay Lake.

My Google translate window might be a bit off, but the point remains that Roaring Fork is a hidden gem in an amazing resort that doesn’t force you to pay for a buffet to get at those tasty, tasty Mickey Waffles.

Does the eatery live up to its potential? Find out LIVE in two nights on NBC prime time.

WL-Lobby.jpg

Wilderness Lodge Lobby

Atmosphere

Above you can see the stunning lobby of the Wilderness Lodge, home of the Whispering Canyon Café serving all-you-can-eat Mickey Waffles for breakfast. One day, you’ll graduate to that level of waffle consuming prowess, but today is a training run at an eatery around the corner.

Resist the temptation that is the Whispering Canyon Café and look for this long hallway to Roaring Fork. It will serve as today’s gateway to flavor country.

I know what you’re thinking when looking at that photo…how did he get a shot with nobody in it? Disney Magic, my friends. At the end of this long hallway is our prize: the Roaring Fork quick service dining location where we’ll be eating breakfast.

One of the nicest entrances to a quick service dining location you’ll see at Walt Disney World awaits you as you speed past, shoving your way to the front of the waffle queue (now mind your manners and apologize to that nice family from Kansas).

The dining room of Roaring Fork seems a little pedestrian given the gorgeous hallway heading to the venue, the entrance, and what lies just outside the entrance; but it is quaint and comfortable.

Roaring-Fork-Seating-Area.jpg

Roaring Fork Seating Area

And seriously, this vista is just outside Roaring Fork. The scenery and atmosphere to accompany those Mickey Waffles is amazing, so feel free to take yours outside and dine at one of the many outdoor tables.

Eats

The main difference between Roaring Fork and other locations serving the famed Mickey Waffle is that they offer a series of toppings that you really can’t find anywhere else.

Roaring-Fork-Menu.jpg

Roaring Fork Breakfast Menu - click image for larger version

The options include the Wilderness Waffle (maple butter and candied pecans), Bananas Foster Waffles (warm bananas in a buttered rum sauce), Strawberry and Orange waffles (fresh strawberries and orange whipped cream), and of course the Chocolate Lovers Waffles (chocolate chips, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce).

Bananas-Foster-Waffles-600x261.jpg

Bananas Foster Waffles

Strawberry-Waffles1-600x293.jpg

Strawberry Waffles

My wife chose the Chocolate Lovers Waffle because it is honestly hard to resist Mickey Waffles to begin with, let alone when they are covered in chocolate chips and further doused in chocolate sauce.

Let’s just say those waffles started cowering the moment they saw us coming into Roaring Fork.

Chocolate-Lovers-Waffles1-600x301.jpg

Chocolate Lovers Waffles

I, as a fan of the savory over the sweet in most circumstances, chose the Wilderness Waffle.

As you can imagine, Amy loved her chocolate smothered waffles, noting that the cast member may have been heavy-handed with the chocolate chips (not really a problem apparently) but nailed the amount of chocolate sauce to provide adequate moisture to the waffles without overpowering the flavor.

My Wilderness Waffles were some of the best Mickey Waffles I’ve had on property (if only these were all-you-can-eat). The candied pecans add a sweet, crunchy note to the already amazing waffle.

WildernessWaffles-600x266.jpg

Wilderness Waffles

Oh…I hadn’t mentioned the bacon yet? Like it even mattered after you read that this review was covering Mickey Waffles. It is a delicious bonus however.

Overall

The short answer is: go. The long answer is: this has to be one of the best (and most affordable) methods to get your Mickey Waffle fix on Walt Disney World property considering most make you pay the buffet and/or character dining up-charge.

The waffle, as any reader of this blog should already know, is delicious enough on its own or with a little syrup; but adding one of the four specialty toppings really set these apart from their competitors. Next time, I just have to try that Bananas Foster Waffle because the concept sounds amazing.

This counter-service spot, due to the out-of-the-way nature of its location, is rarely super crowded, which is a huge plus when so many guests make breakfast a priority before storming the parks.

The next time you find yourself near the Magic Kingdom for breakfast, do yourself a favor and take a boat from one of the docks on the Seven Seas Lagoon to the Wilderness Lodge, make your way to the Roaring Fork and order up some waffles. You’ll thank me.

Please share both in the comments below and to our twitter account @PlazaAndMainSt which of the four waffles you would order. I’ll encourage my wife to eat the winning waffle next time we visit the Roaring Fork. Feel free to follow us on our merry adventures through the Disney Parks. See you all at the Food & Wine Festival.

Editor’s Note: Thanks to Roger Weeks for the use of his gorgeous photos!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/08/21/guest-review-specialty-mickey-waffles-at-roaring-fork-in-disneys-wilderness-lodge/

I can tell you that the Wilderness waffles brought tears to my eyes. Here is my post with pics on the RF waffles from my trip report last year.

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/4449-from-moscow-to-mickey-%e2%80%93-my-little-girl%e2%80%99s-journey-to-the-fort-daveintn-and-family-spend-thanksgiving-with-the-fiends/page__st__500#entry109727

I can tell you that the Wilderness waffles brought tears to my eyes. Here is my post with pics on the RF waffles from my trip report last year.

http://www.fortfiend...500#entry109727

Dave-

Thanks for that link. That is a very good post!

I now remember that I want to give these waffles a try. The problem for the TCD gang is that if we are up early, we are heading to rope drop somewhere. So, we don't go to resorts for breakfast. I'm going to have to figure out a way to make this work.

TCD

Next to Tonga Toast, the WL wafflles are my favorite breakfast. I just can't decide which of the waffles I like best so I get them to give me one of each. Except chocolate. I don't do chocolate.

In October I liked the bananas foster the best, In November it was the strawberry, but this summer there was something about the pralines and butter that just makes me say "ahhhhh" even now.

hmmmm, wonder if I can have them ship me a waffle variety pack?