First Trip to Fort- Like looks of 800 Loop - Whatcha think?

Hello Fiends-

Wife and I are making our first trip to the Fort in early December. We've been reading and studying videos about the Loops. Like the looks of 800. We like bigger, shady, sites- hopefully with a little privacy. Two Shelties travel with us, we like access to dog walking trail. (We don't do off-leash parks).

So I reserved Premium Pet, requested outer perimeter of 800.

Does anyone know where on that loop are the access points to the dog exercise trail?

Any specific site recommendations?

We're planning to try the FAX request thing asking for:

Loop 800 - outer perimeter,

Near dog trail access point,

Away from comfort station (won't use 'em)

Away from main road (to avoid bus noise)

Does faxing really work?? We've read conflicting reports on this...( Read on one forum that most faxes end up in trash , never read. This was posted by someone who supposedly worked in the "back room" where assignments are made.)

Are they cheerful about requests to change sites after we arrive (If we don't like the one we get.)?

Any and all suggestions appreciated!!

Cheers.

Haven't stayed in 800 but it does look like a nice loop - especially where you're shooting for.

I've heard the report from that person that swears that faxes end up in the trash. He's been posting that for ages.

Here's what I can tell you...

We've faxed our request every year for the past several. In it we usually give our top 3 site choices and why (also pertaining to dogs in our case). This information isn't noted on our reservation, only in the fax.

We've gotten one of our top 3 pics every year. This past year the CM at check in was chuckling because we'd given them 3 sites to pick from.

No possible way he'd have known that if our fax had ended up in the trash. 8)

Oh and...

:grpwelcome:

Welcome to fiendom! I like the 800 loop a lot. We're requesting 900 this time, because we happened to stay there a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it, but we walked through 800 often, and it's great, too. I saw that post about the requests being tossed, but I'm of the mind that it can't hurt to try! I'm not sure about access points for the dog trail, because we always entered from 900, but others here may know. We've never had to change a site, but they've been cheerful about anything else we've ever asked, so I'm guessing they'd be happy to accommodate you if they can. Enjoy your trip. We'll be there through December 6, so if your trip overlaps ours, be sure to say hi if you're walking through 900....we'll have our sign out!

Re. Faxes. On more than one occasion, when I checked in my fax was attached to the front of the paperwork. So much for the theory that faxes are trashed. That doesn't mean I got the loop I requested every time, but I have on several occasions, and in fact one time I didn't get it the CM who checked me in made mention of my faxed request and apologized for not being able to grant my request.

Does anyone know where on that loop are the access points to the dog exercise trail

:welcrowd: The access point for the dog exercise trail is at the back of the 800. The confort station is in the middle of the loop. The 800 loop is one of the larges loops that the Fort

Welcome to fiendom! I like the 800 loop a lot. We're requesting 900 this time, because we happened to stay there a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it, but we walked through 800 often, and it's great, too. I saw that post about the requests being tossed, but I'm of the mind that it can't hurt to try! I'm not sure about access points for the dog trail, because we always entered from 900, but others here may know. We've never had to change a site, but they've been cheerful about anything else we've ever asked, so I'm guessing they'd be happy to accommodate you if they can. Enjoy your trip. We'll be there through December 6, so if your trip overlaps ours, be sure to say hi if you're walking through 900....we'll have our sign out!

Hey- Hey! What does your sign say? We'll arrive on the 4th, so we'll look for you. We'll be the couple being walked by two beautiful Shelties!!

BNR This is our sign last Halloween. Runner is my brother. You can buy one with your name in the FF.net store! :) You will see these all around the Fort wherever there are Fiends. My brother and my Mama will also be there during that time!

Disney080.jpg

Hey- Hey! What does your sign say? We'll arrive on the 4th, so we'll look for you. We'll be the couple being walked by two beautiful Shelties!!

Yep, it'll look like the one Rita posted! It just arrived Thursday, and I have it out in the moho all ready to go (3 months early, lol!) I hope to meet you two and your Shelties. We'll be the ones with the crazy lab/shepherd mixes, one yellow and one black :)

After sending in your loop or site request, you can also call either central res or the Fort's front desk to check if it's on your res. If it's not, you can ask that they add it at that time.

You'll be happy with the 800 loop, good choice.

Whoever wrote that they throw away guest requests at the Front Desk just wanted to be noticed.

I've worked at 4 WDW resort "Front Desks" and we tried to honor guest requests if we could.

The vast majority of CMs want to please guests.

Welcome to FF.net!!!!

I will also chime in and say that every time I have faxed a request it has been granted. And you are smart to not only make requests, but also to state your reasons. That way if your specific requested sites are not available they can still assign you to a site that will meet your needs. Last year, I gave my top three site choices and gave some reasoning, plus I told them exactly what I would have on my site (trailer, van, easy up, etc). Well I didn't get one of my choices...but they put me on a site that is now a favorite of ours, as it fits our stuff quite well. So....fax away! BTW, I sent mine around 5 days before check in.

You sound a lot like us. Looking for far away from cs, quiet and away from the road. We always request loop 800 and usually always get it. The "official" walking path for pets that lead from the loop rod to the actual dog walk is between 840 and 841 I believe. Sites between 836 and around 845 are going to be your farthest back. It's probably the most quiet you will get

You sound a lot like us. Looking for far away from cs, quiet and away from the road. We always request loop 800 and usually always get it. The "official" walking path for pets that lead from the loop rod to the actual dog walk is between 840 and 841 I believe. Sites between 836 and around 845 are going to be your farthest back. It's probably the most quiet you will get

Thanks so much- that's just the information I needed. Now I can go to Tig n Taz's video on Youtube and look at the sites in that vicinity (I wish the video was HiDef so we could read the site #'s better).

Can you suggest specific site #'s? there's a few I saw on the video that don't have much room between neighbors on awning side - don't want those , others have lots of woods between- great!!

I want to be far away from the CS 'cause we won't use them and don't want to have all the pedestrians going by on their way to the john...(with all due respect to CS users)

We don't mind being farther back in the loop, cuz we'll be using our bikes to get around- rather have the quiet than convenience...

Keep the tips coming- We luv 'em!

I am going to agree with what Starbuc71 said as far as where the access to the pet walk is, it is down by site 840. I believe that there is another one up around site 816.

I stayed in site 818 for Halloween, 2008. It was awfully close to site 820. You can kind of see that from this photo- it was how the sites were angled:

FWHalloween2008138.jpg

That's our site marker, and then the pad for 820 is right there.

In case you don't know, it is plenty clear enough behind all of those outside sites to just walk behind your site to the pet walk. You don't need to use the pet walk access-so you don't need to be close to it if you have one of the back outer sites.

I can give you a list of the outside sites between 816 and 842, if you need it. And of those would give you direct access to the pet walk from right behind your site.

I agree with your strategy of requesting to be away from the road and near the pet walk. There are sites on the 900 and 700 loops that would also meet those criteria. Those outside sites on the 800 loop are in high demand, and are not easy to get during busy times.

Good luck, and welcome to ff.net!

TCD

If you wait just a few, there will probably be a MUCH BETTER video of the loop up soon!!!!

Check out this thread!

http://www.fortfiend...se/page__st__40

Yeah! Watched the 200 loop vid - looked great. Having the site #'s added to the vid for reference is awesome. Don't need all the numbers- just a one now and then to get your bearings, can always figure out the other #'s from The Google Earth maps.

Can't wait for 700, 800, 900.. I've got til Nov. 30 to fax in my request, so I'll have to be patient..

I am going to agree with what Starbuc71 said as far as where the access to the pet walk is, it is down by site 840. I believe that there is another one up around site 816.

I stayed in site 818 for Halloween, 2008. It was awfully close to site 820. You can kind of see that from this photo- it was how the sites were angled:

FWHalloween2008138.jpg

That's our site marker, and then the pad for 820 is right there.

In case you don't know, it is plenty clear enough behind all of those outside sites to just walk behind your site to the pet walk. You don't need to use the pet walk access-so you don't need to be close to it if you have one of the back outer sites.

I can give you a list of the outside sites between 816 and 842, if you need it. And of those would give you direct access to the pet walk from right behind your site.

I agree with your strategy of requesting to be away from the road and near the pet walk. There are sites on the 900 and 700 loops that would also meet those criteria. Those outside sites on the 800 loop are in high demand, and are not easy to get during busy times.

Good luck, and welcome to ff.net!

TCD

Thank You TCD Great info! If can get one of those outside sites (Hopefully not 818, right?!) and just go directly back to the pet walk- that's awesome.

We arrive mid-week Dec. 4, don't know if that helps or hurts of chances of getting what we want. I suppose lots of folks arrive on the weekend and stay for a week, but we were trying to get "off-cycle" with the majority.

We are going to request 800 (with our list of reasons), then 900 or 700 as alternatives, and keep our fingers crossed.

Thank You TCD Great info! If can get one of those outside sites (Hopefully not 818, right?!) and just go directly back to the pet walk- that's awesome.

We arrive mid-week Dec. 4, don't know if that helps or hurts of chances of getting what we want. I suppose lots of folks arrive on the weekend and stay for a week, but we were trying to get "off-cycle" with the majority.

We are going to request 800 (with our list of reasons), then 900 or 700 as alternatives, and keep our fingers crossed.

Right after Thanksgiving and before Christmas gets closer is a "slow" time, so I would say your chances are good to get one of those sites. 800 is popular with the weekend warriors, so there are typically a lot of open spaces mid-week.

Oh, I also meant to add that faxing definitely does work. The D-Bag curmudgeon who says that they get tossed in the trash has been saying that for years. I believe that he probably did throw site requests in the trash when he worked at the Fort (sounds like something he would enjoy doing) but as far as I know, he hasn't worked there for years and has zero knowledge of what goes on there now. So don't listen to him. He is just another example proving the fact that this site is the only site where you can get accurate information about the Fort.

TCD

Hey BNR-

I don't know if you saw this TR, but FP4 has one going and posted some photos taken from the pet walk area behind the 800 loop, looking in to some of the sites on 800 that back up to the pet walk. Here's a link: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/7459-we-biked-got-spiked-celebrated-and-swam-around-the-world/page__st__20#entry199388

TCD

We were on the 800 loop for the 2 weeks after Thanksgiving last year and enjoyed the pet walk with our 2 terriers every morning while DH slept in. (also had a LOT of sites decroated for the holidays.) Its not as close to the dog park as we'd like so we're going to try a different loop this year, but since you specifically mentioned you don't want the off-leash 800 should be great for you!