Magic Cruise-NYC to Canadian Maritimes 2012

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Instant Message, Ante Meridiem and New Mexico.

The proportions are way off, but even if they were correct, it still does not qualify. Follow the link below. http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/1713-hidden-deliberate-mickeys/

You are off to a great start, Hans.

I also will enjoy hearing what a DCL cruise is like sailing from NYC.

Did you see the Hidden Mickey in this photo? :

Or maybe its a deliberate Mickey.

Or an unintentional Mickey.

But, it's definitely a Mickey.

I think.

TCD

I didn't notice it until I was running it through photoshop, but I see it, too. I will leave its classification to the experts :)

It was definitely a portent of the week ahead.

I just got back yesterday, Onkel Hans, and used the magnet you graciously customized for me. I didn't take too many pictures, but I may write up a little trip report.

Did you take a Greyhound to South Station or the C&J?

I hope you enjoyed your cruise, it looked like the weather may not have been with you that week.

We took the Concord Coach, and if we do anything similar again, we will skip the bus altogether and take a private shuttle straight to South Station. Maybe a little more money, but less baggage transfers and no bus stations.

I'm in! I can't wait to see the differences between a northern cruise and a tropical one. Starting off in NYC is definitely different!

Suprisingly and I think disapointingly, beyond the obvious there isn't that much different between Disney cruises. Of course I am speaking with the vast expertise of someone who has taken just two cruises :)

NYC Embarkation Day

I couldn't sleep so at 3 or 4am I went outside and took a few pictures. Being a country mouse, I didn't dare stray too far, but i was amazed at how busy it was at that hour. It really is the city that never sleeps! There were people outside the Hotel lounges, ladies with shopping bags, police officers on their beat, workers on their way to or from work, and the whole are smelled like tasty chili for some reason.

It wasn't long before everyone else was awake and ready to go. I had originally planned to walk a couple blocks away to a bagel place and bring it back for everyone, but while wandering about that morning I found a nice place called Longwood's around the corner. We marched over and got some breakfast.

A lesson learned: everyone in NYC is in a hurry, and this is especially true of people at a delicatessen. You had better know what you want and don't fool about while placing your order.

The inlaws just had a toasted bagel and coffee, Nicole had some pancakes, and I had a breakfast sandwich. Nicole's pancakes were so-so, but we agreed that it was probably not the right place to order them. The sandwich was very tasty.

I had thought we would waste a lot more time that morning, but it was still before 10:00am. Our arrival time was the earliest available, 11:30am, and I was loathe to show up earlier than that and contribute to the mayhem of the port.In the end we ended up arriving at about 10:30am and it was a bit of a scrum at the pier. I felt a little hypocritical, but I guess I blended into the rest of the uncultured yetis from Voldumort/Duloc.

DSC05209.JPG

Here is one of the biggest differences between Port Canaveral and Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Mickey has 100% control of the Florida terminal, and he is a guest/tenant in the NY terminal. Mickey can enforce arrival times in FL, but the area is way too busy in NY for him to be able to tell anyone to wait outside or go away until their time. In addition, there can be another ship sharing the pier, and even more ships at adjacent piers. That's a lot of passengers moving in every direction. Some folks said that the NY shore castmembers were abrupt or rude, but I didn't notice that. Port Canaveral is a LOT easier and pleasant to use, especially if you stay at the Hyatt and take care of sign in at the airport.

There were several special outfits for the characters and Uncle Sam Mickey and Lady Liberty Minnie were in the terminal for pictures.

281929_4219780866718_638982298_n.jpg

My brother-in-law got FIL a captain's hat so Nicole got me a sailor's hat:

398973_4219779546685_236441877_n.jpg

We were on board by 11:30am. I headed to Studio Sea to wrangle our Palo reservations while Nicole took the rest of the crew to Deck 9 for a fruity drink and to square away her spa reservations. I was able to get two separate dinner reservations for 2 at the same time so I needed to turn that into a four top; I was only able to get a brunch reservation for 2 so I was hoping to bump that into a four top too. Dinner was no problem, but there was already a hundred people waitlisted for brunch according to my friend Francisco. Since I was flexible with my days, he was able to get us into another day for brunch.

Lesson learned: it is true that they only give out a portion of the reservations before sailing, but it also must be possible for them to sell out, at least for certain days. I am wondering if there were a lot of concierge guests on the cruise who were able to make reservations ahead of time?

Nicole was hoping to have a mother-daughter pedicure, but the DCL online system only allows one reservation per time period, so we would have had to make two back to back reservations. A number of years ago she made reservations at the Grand Floridian Spa for her sister-in-law, two nieces, and herself and the room was only big enough for three. She ended up getting her pedicure alone--not what she had planned! We didn't want that again, so we just made one reservation ahead of time and she was able to make it a double once we got on board.

They also made reservations for FIL and I to get a shave, fun, fun, fun!

I purchased a DCL beer mug on the way up to Deck Nine. If you are going to drink beer, this is the way to go. It cost $15 and entitles you to 22oz fills compared to the regular 16oz beers. The math is very complicated (when you have been drinking), but it ends up that if you have six or seven beers you have paid for your souvenir mug. They make it even easier by allowing you to turn in the mug at the bar when your session is done and they give you a token to carry until you again order a beer. So you don't have to lug the glass around just in case you get thirsty.

We had lunch at Topsiders Buffet.

normal_DSC05275.JPG

I prefer Parrot Cay (love the decor), but even on an overcast day it was a great view of NY and NJ.

Our rooms were ready by then so we checked them out and tried on the life jackets.

DSC05219.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

Here is the Cruise at a Glance found in your stateroom. It has some shopping info, duty-free shopping list, the movie schedule, and the TV listings.

Cruise at a Glance

We then attended our lifeboat drill. This was the first time I started to realize how challenging it is to get around with a wheelchair. We knew enough to get onto Deck Four before they shut the elevators down, but even though they gave us a head start to the lifts, once it got busy it was impossible to get onto an elevator. Unless the elevator opened up right in front of you and was already empty, you weren't going to get to it before it was too full. We ended up having FIL walk onto a lift and I carried his chair up to our deck.

Lesson learned: When possible travel to the farthest elevator from where everyone is being let out from (dinner/show). Also, take the elevator in either direction to maximize the chances of getting an empty lift.

We then headed to Deck Nine for the Sail Away Party. Well, we just found a nice spot by the rail to take pictures.

IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2696.JPG

IMG_2704.JPG

New York's harbor was quite busy. We saw a cargo ship, two other cruise lines, ferries, and:

The Beast

IMG_2705.JPG

Some paddleboarders (quite brave to be paddling around if you ask me)

IMG_2709.JPG

And even a wooden schooner

IMG_2733.JPG

The new World Trade Center was topped out and they were finishing the sides.

IMG_2718.JPG

The Statue of Liberty

IMG_2741.JPG

Hey there fellow New Hampshire resident! Where are you located? We are 20 minutes north of Concord.

This is going to be a great trip report. I have never read one that leaves from NY.

Heidi

We are in the Lakes Region, but I work in Manchester. I think the Loudon and Canterbury area is a place where we have thought about moving to. Close to the city, but not too far from the lakes (and our kin folk).

Love the matching t-shirts!

It would be cool to sail past the Statue of Liberty.

I hate to tell you, but you look dorky in your sailor hat.

You were a good sport to wear it.

I also think it's great that you took your in laws along on this trip. Your FIL looks like he is really enjoying himself.

How many more chances will your wife get to travel with her folks? Good for you for going along (and wearing that dorky hat).

TCD

normal_IMG_2696.JPG

I love this photo!

We also learned the elevator lesson....and since we had aft staterooms those tended to be the quietest elevators. So when possible, we usually used those. But it does get frustrating when every elevator that stops is already full!

We learned that lesson quickly as well. The aft elevators are the way to go on the Classic ships with the exception of dinner time. My mom and I were traveling with my two aunts (75+), so we waited for the elevator with them, loaded them in and ran up or down the stairs. We usually beat them.

I love this photo!

We learned that lesson quickly as well. The aft elevators are the way to go on the Classic ships with the exception of dinner time. My mom and I were traveling with my two aunts (75+), so we waited for the elevator with them, loaded them in and ran up or down the stairs. We usually beat them.

We did the same thing. And I can't tell you how many times I picked up Anna's unbrella stroller and took the stairs with it.

I think the issues are probably very similar between the classic ships and the 2 new ones. The floorplans of the 4 ships are quite similar, as far as placement of the main dining rooms and the theaters. All the things that cause elevator backups seem to be in the same basic locations from ship to ship.

We did the same thing. And I can't tell you how many times I picked up Anna's unbrella stroller and took the stairs with it.

I think the issues are probably very similar between the classic ships and the 2 new ones. The floorplans of the 4 ships are quite similar, as far as placement of the main dining rooms and the theaters. All the things that cause elevator backups seem to be in the same basic locations from ship to ship.

Hey Newbies-

It is the Forward elevators that are the least crowded.

That's a fact.

Don't tell anyone though.

TCD

Very cool!

We also learned the elevator lesson....and since we had aft staterooms those tended to be the quietest elevators. So when possible, we usually used those. But it does get frustrating when every elevator that stops is already full!

Especially when you have a stroller or wheelchair because you will be taking up most of the car. It's entertaining to read the capacity of an elevator car, isn't it? i think some are marked for 12 people!

Love the matching t-shirts!

It would be cool to sail past the Statue of Liberty.

I hate to tell you, but you look dorky in your sailor hat.

You were a good sport to wear it.

I also think it's great that you took your in laws along on this trip. Your FIL looks like he is really enjoying himself.

How many more chances will your wife get to travel with her folks? Good for you for going along (and wearing that dorky hat).

TCD

Yes, dorky is one of my specialties!

It was nice to be able to take my in-laws. They are simple folks and never really were able to take vacations when they were running their restaurant. After his stroke, they had to sell and have lived a quiet retirement since then. Nicole and I knew that anything Disney would be a perfect fit since they do such a great job in making vacationing easy for those with disabilities. A cruise on a classic ship seemed like a perfect fit because their smaller size would allow him to walk to as many places as he felt comfortable. I was also correct that the CMs enthusiastically did everything you could think of to make things easy for him. I was never allowed to push his wheelchair in any of the dining rooms.

I love this photo!

I was pretty pleased with that picture, too. As with all of my good shots it was more of a good camera and me mashing the buttons. We were on deck 10 midships to get a good look at Ellis island and the Statue of Liberty as we passed, and it happened to be where the characters waited before bounding down the stairs to the Goofy stage and the Sail Away party. I had the zoom lens on, so I started by taking advantage of the long lens and standing further back from the gathering crowd. It started to get difficult to shoot without someone stepping in front of me, and then I realized what a nice shot it was to keep MIL in focus taking the picture of Mick and Min. The mice cooperated with a perfect pose, they look like they are sharing a quick word before going on stage.

My best tip for the elevators is for when the show lets out. Head out on the Deck Four Promenade and you can either walk to the aft elevators or loop all they way around the ship back to the forward elevators. By that time, the crowds have thinned out. We enjoyed a couple of nice evening strolls that way on our cruise.

Day at Sea

The first and last full days of the cruise were days at sea.

On the first sea day we had spa appointments. FIL and I were up first with a shave in the salon. FIL is a major western and cowboy fan so I think he was hoping for an old fashioned straight blade and leather strop kind of shave. I was kind of hoping it was too. I had tried to get an old fashioned shave on Main Street, USA once, but discovered they do not have the license to even do it with a Bic.

We were in the capable hands of Zoe from South Africa. FIL was up first. He was first covered with a warm towel, then Zoe alternated between massaging in some sort of potion and then covering his face with a small, warmed towel. The relaxed sigh that FIL made as she first put the towel on him made the whole trip worthwhile for me.

DSC05256.JPG

The shave was done with a safety razor, and she alternated a few times between shaving and recovering his face with lotion. When she was done, he was a new man!

DSC05261.JPG

When it was my turn I discovered that the towels (or lotion?) had a sort of menthol scent that I didn't care for. It still was super relaxing to have someone give you a mini-face massage and a shave. My skin hasn't been that smooth since my twenties. Zoe had a couple of products that she suggested for FIL and me, but it wasn't a pushy sell at all. I might have thought about it but I barely remember to shave let alone add whatever step that a new product would entail.

We spent the rest of the day wandering the ship and playing cards. MIL usually wins, but I was happy to win a game. I also took advantage of my DCL beer mug investment. The selections on board seem to have dwindled, though. On my first cruise I was looking forward to a Yuengling, since they don't sell it up our way. DCL had stopped serving it (at least on tap) though. Now, there are only two selections on tap at Signals on deck Nine, Bud Light and Kona Longboard.

There also seemed to be a new offer on mixed drinks that is similar to the DCL mug. On the last go around you could buy a drink from the bar and get it in a glass for $5-7. Or you could get a drink of the day in a souvenir DCL plastic hurricane cup for $9-11. Some of the servers mentioned that you could trade in your hurricane cup each time and receive a drink in a new one and pay just the regular drink only price, the advantage being that there was a little more drink in the hurricane cup (not sure how much more). The disadvantage is that there is no hurricane cup token, so you have to tote around your cup. Also, it was only honored on the top deck, so no bonus at Preludes before a show. Nicole still carried her cup around and took advantage when she could.

IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

DSC05253.JPG

FIL was bundled up pretty good at this point, it was pretty windy and cool even though the sun was shining. He ended up with a cold, unfortunately. He made it part way through dinner but decided he wanted to go back to the room so we all left before dessert. Our server, Savio, brought him a cup of soup and a couple of desserts. I was pretty tickled, he had to work through the rest of the seating, then the late seating, and then brought the food from one end of the ship to the other. That was excellent service.