A long weekend back home.

This is another great TR, Jason.

Thanks for sharing.

I really like the looks of that campground. Certainly nothing fancy, but isn't that what camping is all about? I am kind of surprised by the size of it- it is much larger than any of the State Park campgrounds I am familiar with in Florida.

I like your tent, and it's neat that you got to upgrade to a cabin for $15.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of the trip.

TCD

A lot of the camgrounds up here tend towards the rustic mostly because they are not open all year round. This one is a very large one for the area though. I do a lot of summer camping at this campground because of its proximity to the beach. Which will be coming up today.

Ok I'll buy the contacts therory, but oh my, is that a butt shot thru one of the windows :rofl2: Lucky man that Sil loves you :heartsmiley:

Love your trip reports, such detail and good food locations :banana:

Ok. Sil happened to see me looking at all of the comments and wanted to see what people were saying. I think i need to set the tent up in the backyard now since we don't have a dog house. :banghead:

One of the things I like when I am traveling is trying new places or going back to old favorites. I like to share them with everyone here as they may decide to make the trip and it's nice to have suggestions of good food in new places.

Well my heck, I don't know how I have missed this. Looks like a great weekend! I like this statue!

DSC02087.jpg

Yeah we did too. It's right by the path to the bandstand and since we were both marching band people we got a kick out of it.

You took some great photos of Roger Williams Park. That place looks amazing and would be fun to spend a day or more exploring.

It looked like you had some good weather, too. I wish I had that kind of luck!

You definitely can spend at least one day and possibly 2 at Roger WIlliams Park. The zoo is really nice and can take at least a half a day and with all of the other fun things to see it's a nice attraction for Providence that never really gets any advertising.

The weather was gorgeous and we were very grateful for it.

Sorry for the delay in wrapping this one up. It was a very busy week.

So when last we left you we had just spent time at Miscquamicut beach and were heading north up Rt. 1 to see some more beaches.

The next beach we stopped at was Matunuck Beach. These were taken with Sil's phone.

IMAG3690_zpsada5b965.jpg

IMAG3691_zps0275c686.jpg

IMAG3694_zps2f077c7c.jpg

IMAG3696_zps48743898.jpg

IMAG3698_zps61b4d7d2.jpg

IMAG3699_zps20700604.jpg

We hit a couple of more beaches after that but in all honesty they all look really similar and we didn't take any pics. We also stopped at a flea market but no pics were allowed. We looked around but didn't buy anything.

Does anyone else go to flea markets and see them selling the same stuff you have at home and use all the time? I'm not sure if that means we have nice things or cheap flea market crap.

Once done with the flea markets and most of the beaches we wanted to check out we headed up to Narragansett, to the Point Judith section. This is where ferries leave from to go to Block Island and Martha's Vineyard.

This is also where Galilee is. A lot of local fishing goes on here. They have a couple of restaurants that get there seafood right off the boat. One of them literally has a restaurant up stairs with a seafood market downstairs and docks out back to bring in the catch. They have great fresh seafood over here. All of RI has good seafood as it is so close to the water but this is a step up.

We ended up eating at George's on their outside deck.

DSC02252.jpg

DSC02251.jpg

Some of the view from the deck.

DSC02230.jpg

DSC02231.jpg

We both had fish and chips with fresh caught Flounder. Silvia also had some clam chowder and we split a half dozen clamcakes. Clam cakes also tend to be a Rhode Island thing. They are clams and clam juice mixed into a doughy batter and then deep fried.

All the food was real good and George's has been there for something like 60 years. I highly recommend them. They are open all year round you will just be sitting inside in the winter.

After George's we headed back to the campground to relax and enjoy the fire. We were going to hit the camp store but yet again they changed the hours. Since we needed more firewood we headed back out and down the street to the gas station for ice and firewood. Needed to keep the beer and hard cider cool.

Photobucket is acting up on me. I will wrap this up later.

Ok so we headed back to the campground. Here are some pictures of the cabin for you.

IMAG0464.jpg

Since it came as twin size bunks and you have to supply matress and linens. I decided to push them together so we could fit our queen air matress on it.

DSC02280.jpg

DSC02281.jpg

DSC02282.jpg

Looking towards the front of the cabins from the bed.

DSC02283.jpg

No curtains provided either so you will note the use of stylish beach towel as a curtain.

There is no electric or other facilities in the cabin. There is no insulation but it is made with what looks like 3 inch thick wood "logs" so it does retain heat better than our tent was.

Here is the view from the front door of this cabin.

DSC02284.jpg

DSC02285.jpg

DSC02286.jpg

You can see the lake through the trees. This will come in handy during the night and the next morning with some amazing scenes.

Sil took a walk down to the lake to get some pics of it at sunset while I started getting the fire ready.

DSC02267.jpg

DSC02270.jpg

DSC02272.jpg

DSC02278.jpg

DSC02274.jpg

So peaceful looking.

We had a nice campfire going again that night.

IMAG3741_zpsc181650c.jpg

and we turned in around 10:30.

Around 3:30 I woke up and headed out to use the facilities. I saw the most amazing sight. I believe it was Venus rising above the tree line. Because it was a new moon it was darker than usual. Venus was so bright that it reflected off the water. I did take a picture but only had my phone with me.

IMAG0463.jpg

It still showed up as the white dot in the center.

Standing in the clearing it was amazing how many stars you could see thanks to the new moon. It was cold though so I headed back to bed.

Around 6:30 I got out of bed to get some shots of the even quieter campground at sunrise. The temperature difference was causing fog to rise off the lake quite dramaticaly and since I was facing due east I got some great pictures.

These are for TCD.

DSC02287.jpg

DSC02289.jpg

You can really see the fog in this one.

DSC02291.jpg

DSC02294.jpg

DSC02296.jpg

DSC02297.jpg

DSC02299.jpg

DSC02300.jpg

After that we packed up our gear and loaded up the car. We headed up to Warwick to IHOP and had breakfast. Then we went to my friends house to pick up the dog and then we headed home.

I hope you all enjoyed this little report on some of RI. if you ever have any questions about things to see and or do in RI please ask. I spent the first 30 years of my life there and no it better than anyplace else on earth....well except for Disney world maybe. hehehe.

Very nice trip report. I enjoyed the pictures of Roger Williams Park, we used to bring the kids there when they were little to visit the zoo. We should really go again, it's such a nice park. And I just recently went to Waterfire, very cool. Your cabin looked fun, very rustic! Thanks again for sharing.

IMAG3699_zps20700604.jpg

I love the wild flowers in the dunes!!

Does anyone else go to flea markets and see them selling the same stuff you have at home and use all the time? I'm not sure if that means we have nice things or cheap flea market crap.

:rofl2:

Very nice trip report. :D

Great trip report, Jason! Absolutely love the sunrise pics!

Thanks Rita! Glad you enjoyed the report and pics.

Wonderful! RI is beautiful, full of history and beauty. The sunrise pics with the fog lifting from the water.....love them.

RI is quite often overlooked when discussing colonial history but it has a lot of history and sights that are important for innovations and firsts for the whole country.

Very nice trip report. I enjoyed the pictures of Roger Williams Park, we used to bring the kids there when they were little to visit the zoo. We should really go again, it's such a nice park. And I just recently went to Waterfire, very cool. Your cabin looked fun, very rustic! Thanks again for sharing.

Glad you came along for the fun!

Thanks for the sunrise photos! Beautiful!

And thanks for the whole report, it is fun to see other campgrounds.

TCD

Happy to give back a trip report after all teh great ones i read on here.

Beautiful. I love New England in warmer weather. My parents used to love to stop at Naragansett/Port Judith on their way home from visiting my younger brother at Roger Williams College.

I think we have the same Coleman tent from Walmart.

Yep thats where I got it. I had seen it mentioned in a thread on tents here so when I went looking for one I decided to go with that one.

Love this picture! Would you be surprised if I told you that I now have "Smoke on the Water" stuck in my head? Great pictures and TR. Thanks, Jason!DSC02291.jpg

I was thinking the same ting when I took the picture.

Great report. Gee you must have been awfully close to the upper bunk springs on that blowup.

We were pretty close. We had plenty of room for laying down even on our sides. We just had to be careful not to sit up at night. A fact Silvia unfortunately forgot. It's ok though as a middle child she has a hard head. :banghead:

Very nice trip report. :D

Thanks! The flowers in the dunes were beautiful to look at.

• 4 months later...