A Trip Around Disney's Epcot Food & Wine Festival (pics included)

Oh, my goodness! I am drooling on the keyboard! I hope to get to F&W again this year. This is making me want to go tomorrow!

I have to say, that grilled Greek dish kinda looks like mashed potatoes topped with kibbles and bits.

I grew up in NY state (Oneonta/Binghamton area) and we had family in the Buffalo area. I don't remember having pierogies, but I do remember eating beef on weck, or maybe it was wick? Does that ring a bell? Roast beef on rolls with a bunch of salt baked on them like a pretzel.

Thanks for bringing us along to the festival!

Karla, I am sure y'all had an awesome summer trip and I'm sure it was worth it, but I sure hate that you won't be there with us! :( I do have an opportunity to see you though! :) I am going to be in Orlando the 3rd and 4th and hope to get by the Fort on the 4th! I hope that you will be around. I get through with my conference at 5 and have to drive across town to pick Mama up before we head that way!

Thanks for the F & W report! I'm looking forward to enjoying eating my way around the world!

Oh, my goodness! I am drooling on the keyboard! I hope to get to F&W again this year. This is making me want to go tomorrow!

I have to say, that grilled Greek dish kinda looks like mashed potatoes topped with kibbles and bits.

I grew up in NY state (Oneonta/Binghamton area) and we had family in the Buffalo area. I don't remember having pierogies, but I do remember eating beef on weck, or maybe it was wick? Does that ring a bell? Roast beef on rolls with a bunch of salt baked on them like a pretzel.

Thanks for bringing us along to the festival!

You can't live in the Buffalo area and not know about Beef on Kimmelweck (weck) Rolls.

I live for the days we go back to visit family and get to eat all those ethnic foods again.

And, of course, I have to get my fill of Ted's Char-Broiled Hot Dogs too!!

Karla, I am sure y'all had an awesome summer trip and I'm sure it was worth it, but I sure hate that you won't be there with us! :( I do have an opportunity to see you though! :) I am going to be in Orlando the 3rd and 4th and hope to get by the Fort on the 4th! I hope that you will be around. I get through with my conference at 5 and have to drive across town to pick Mama up before we head that way!

Thanks for the F & W report! I'm looking forward to enjoying eating my way around the world!

Yea!!! :yay:

I'll make sure we are back by dinner time on the 4th.

You can find us in 432...how about joining us for a GAG??

You can't live in the Buffalo area and not know about Beef on Kimmelweck (weck) Rolls.

I live for the days we go back to visit family and get to eat all those ethnic foods again.

And, of course, I have to get my fill of Ted's Char-Broiled Hot Dogs too!!

Yea!!! :yay:

I'll make sure we are back by dinner time on the 4th.

You can find us in 432...how about joining us for a GAG??

I appreciate the GAG offer, not sure what Mama will want to do. I'll let you know ahead of time though! I'll message you before the 4th! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here comes the final installment of gastronomic delicacies from Epcot’s 2012 Food & Wine Festival.

ITALY

DSCN9204.jpg

Ravioli di Formaggio all’Emiliana – Nice creamy sauce, very good but nothing that you couldn’t get at a decent Italian restaurant.

DSCN0051-1.jpg

DSCN0055-1.jpg

HOPS & BARLEY

DSCN9225-1.jpg

Linda Bean’s Lobster Claw Cuddler with Herb Mayonnaise – Unfortunately, this was the worst food item we attempted to eat. The claw had a strong fishy smell. When meat was removed from the shell it had a peculiar yellowish cast to it. We couldn’t get it past our noses to take a taste…and I think I’m glad we didn’t!

DSCN0065-1.jpg

DSCN0073-1.jpg

Linda Bean’s Perfect Main Lobster Roll – Bun was dried out and had a tiny dab of mayo on it. Lobster meat was stringy. No idea what those dried green speckles are supposed to be.

DSCN0071-1.jpg

Pumpkin Mousse with Ocean Spray Craisins Dried Cranberries and Orange Sauce - Nice flavors, tangy, wished there was a bigger taste. Serving size was inconsistent.

DSCN0062-1.jpg

FLORIDA LOCAL

DSCN9228-1.jpg

White Corn Arepa with Mangalitsa Pork Rillette and Zellwood Sweet Corn Salad – The arepa (cornmeal patty) was nice a light but had little taste. The port rillette was salty and cold and the corn salad a tangy, sweet taste.

From Wikipedia: Rillettes is a preparation of meat similar to pâté. Originally made with pork, the meat is cubed or chopped, salted heavily and cooked slowly in fat until it is tender enough to be easily shredded, and then cooled with enough of the fat to form a paste. They are normally used as spread on bread or toast and served at room temperature.

And here’s a link on Zellwood Corn: http://vegetablegrow...ellwood-Variety

DSCN0082-1.jpg

JAPAN

DSCN9232-1.jpg

Sukiyaki Beef Pan – Soft, moist roll with a tiny amount of beef and lots of teriyaki flavor.

DSCN0085-1.jpg

BELGIUM

DSCN9249-1-1.jpg

Guylian Belgian Chocolate Seashell Truffles – For me, truffles should have a ganache center. These seemed just like ordinary molded chocolate pieces…nothing special in taste, but they looked pretty and had a nice fancy gold package.

DSCN0088-1.jpg

DSCN0089-1.jpg

IRELAND

DSCN9274-1-1.jpg

Lobster and Seafood Fisherman’s Pie – This year it had a mashed potato consistence instead of last year where it was more sauce like base. Found only a few small pieces of seafood in the pie but overall the taste was good.

DSCN0096-1.jpg

DESSERTS & CHAMPAGNE

DSCN9291-1.jpg

Yogurt Panna Cotta with Orange Cake, Raspberries and Pomegranate (center) – Yummy! Wanted more.

Lemon Custard Verrine with Blueberry Compote (right) – Very tangy lemon flavor, canned blueberry filling on the bottom. The brown stuff on top was like tasteless, dried out pie crust.

Dark Chocolate Mouse with Chili and Salted Caramel (left) – More of a milk chocolate flavor, true chili “zing” to it, not much caramel taste.

DSCN0099-1.jpg

I hope you enjoyed our food trip around Epcot as much as we did (or at least most of the food)!

I leave you with a few more pictures from around Epcot….

DSCN9099-1.jpg

DSCN0107-1.jpg

DSCN0106-1.jpg

DSCN9186-1.jpg

And that’s all there is until next year!

theend.jpg

I still like the food and wine festival, but like most things Disney, what started out as a good value where you could get a reasonable sample for a buck, has turned into an expensive outing, with sometimes disappointing results.

Great job, Karla.

We are planning another visit to the F&W Festival, and your report helps a lot.

That lobster claw looks gross! And the lobster roll was one of my favorite things last year- the one you got looks totally different from how I remember it.

We already tried the chocolate mousse with salted caramel and chili dessert, and thought it was easily the most unique thing we tried so far. There is a lot of flavor in those little cups!

So, overall, what was your favorite dish this year?

TCD

Thanks for the report! Based on your recommendations, I'm making a list of what and what not to try.

Have fun...just bring an empty stomach!

I still like the food and wine festival, but like most things Disney, what started out as a good value where you could get a reasonable sample for a buck, has turned into an expensive outing, with sometimes disappointing results.

You're absolutely correct! We started out with $200 and have about $50 left....and that was food only - NO DRINKS!

Thanks for sharing, Karla!

Thanks for the reviews and awesome photos, Karla!

You're welcome...hope you enjoyed the trip!

Great job, Karla.

We are planning another visit to the F&W Festival, and your report helps a lot.

That lobster claw looks gross! And the lobster roll was one of my favorite things last year- the one you got looks totally different from how I remember it.

We already tried the chocolate mousse with salted caramel and chili dessert, and thought it was easily the most unique thing we tried so far. There is a lot of flavor in those little cups!

So, overall, what was your favorite dish this year?

TCD

Oh...that's easy....CANADA and the steak with truffle butter was hands down the absolute best!!

Best dessert....it's a tie....IRELAND for lava cake and BELGIUM for the waffle. :drool1:

Oh...that's easy....CANADA and the steak with truffle butter was hands down the absolute best!!

Best dessert....it's a tie....IRELAND for lava cake and BELGIUM for the waffle. :drool1:

Thanks.

I agree with you on the steak from Canada. I still liked the Fisherman's Pie from Ireland too, but I agree with you, it is not quite as good as it was last year.

We haven't tried either the Lava Cake or Waffle yet this year. But, we will be sure to try those some time.

TCD

Being from New England, I can't bring myself to even try either of the lobster offerings - especially at those prices. I'd much rather hit the grocery store and bring home a bagful of the sea bugs for $4/lb.

Speaking of bugs...

My favorite F&W dish has been the escargot in France. Ok not so much bugs as slimy little butter-soaked boogers, but oh-so-delicious!

Since we'll only have 3 days of F&W this year, we're going to have to choose our menu wisely, so all these reports and photos are really helpful.

Or we could just stuff ourselves silly and then not eat for a couple of days. 8)

Being from New England, I can't bring myself to even try either of the lobster offerings - especially at those prices. I'd much rather hit the grocery store and bring home a bagful of the sea bugs for $4/lb.

$4? Wow, I'm jealous! Lobster is 3-4 times that here! At $4/pound I'd eat it several times a week! That's cheaper than organic chicken and good quality ground beef here!

Speaking of bugs...

My favorite F&W dish has been the escargot in France. Ok not so much bugs as slimy little butter-soaked boogers, but oh-so-delicious!

Since we'll only have 3 days of F&W this year, we're going to have to choose our menu wisely, so all these reports and photos are really helpful.

Or we could just stuff ourselves silly and then not eat for a couple of days. 8)

Before coming to the Fort we were in Maine at Acadia NP. Lobster was $4-5/pound cooked for you...just pick it up at the roadside stand. Lobster dinner in Bar Harbor (1 1/2 pounder) was $10.

Oh so yummy!!

We stopped at Linda Bean's restaurant in Freeport, ME and the lobster was really good there too. Nothing like that nasty stuff at Epcot!

I would be ashamed to put my name on that Epcot lobster junk!

My opinion of escargot??? :barf:

$4? Wow, I'm jealous! Lobster is 3-4 times that here! At $4/pound I'd eat it several times a week! That's cheaper than organic chicken and good quality ground beef here!

During the height of the season this summer, we did! A couple of days after work I was at the market for other stuff and didn't know what to bring home for supper, so I just grabbed a few lobsters.

In fact I cooked up a bunch extra, double wrapped it and froze it to bring down with us for Lobster Mac and Cheese at the Thanksgiving potluck. :)

We stopped at Linda Bean's restaurant in Freeport, ME and the lobster was really good there too. Nothing like that nasty stuff at Epcot!

I just can't see how logistically they can pull these dishes off - especially the claw. It's got to be frozen or at least precooked. Add that to sitting around in any capacity and that = yuk. You can get away with more in a lobster salad because of the mayo, but still, if the meat isn't fresh you can tell.

My opinion of escargot??? :barf:

LOL. I'm sure lots of people feel the same - they sure don't look very appetizing. But it's got to be somewhat popular as it's been offered the past few years at least and there's always a line.

Must be all the French Canadians... and me. 8)

Tony had one of those claws and said it was "ok". I.e. he ate it. After I stood in line in the sun while he waited in the shade, he was going to eat that claw regardless.

I had the chowder.

I wasn't impressed by either.

I remember reading that during the turn of the last century, prisoners rioted in the NE, b/c they were being fed "to much lobster".