Two Saturdays in September with TCD

The TCD gang wanted to go camping at the Fort in September.

But, it didn't happen.

We did, however, make two day trips to Walt Disney World.

The first was on Saturday 9/15/12.

Nothing very eventful happened on that trip. I had a few photos, but not much to write a trip report about, so that one was going to be an undocumented trip.

But then we went again on 9/29/12. And some things happened on that trip which were eventful. So, I was going to write a little TR.

Then I figured why not share the photos from both trips?

So, that is what I will do.

We will do this in order, so first up, it's Saturday, September the 15th.

We began our day at Hollywood Studios.

It was an EMH morning for resort guests.

Usually we steer clear of parks that have EMH mornings when we are day tripping, but the girls wanted to go to DHS, so we figured we would give it a try.

We arrived right at 9. Resort guests had been let in at 8.

It wasn't very busy at the entrance.

Except for the castmember line. That line was really long.

I wondered why.

My best guess is that since they can't use EMH, they line up between 8 and 9. All in one line. When the park opens, the regular guests move through all the other lines, but the CM's have to go through one at a time in their single line. Stinks for them.

But, there were a lot of CM's this morning.

It made me wonder if somthing special was going on. But, as far as I could tell, it was just another day.

We headed to Toy Story first.

I think this sign was new. I took the photo, because I never heard about this movie, but apparently it's going to be a big deal:

228.jpg

We just got Fastpasses at Toy Story, and then headed to Rock N Roller Coaster.

There was a bald guy there with a pony tail, so I took his photo:

229.jpg

I pretended to take a photo of the girls in order to get the bald guy's photo, so I figured that since I had the camera out and all, I should really take their photo:

230.jpg

Our train stopped twice after we were loaded, and we had to wait for a couple of minutes each time before we moved. I'm not sure why, but those stops gave me a chance to snap some photos that normally would have been just a blur:

231.jpg

233.jpg

234.jpg

235.jpg

This isn't the best ride photo, but it's the best I can do for you today:

236.jpg

In typing this report, I just realized that I told a big lie at the beginning of this report. Something eventful did happen on this trip. Momentous even.

Twin #1 was chosen to be the Rebel Spy on Star Tours:

237.jpg

None of us could believe it.

Even the lizard guy General Akbar, was surprised:

238.jpg

Upon our return from space, Twin #1 was greeted as a hero of the alliance:

239.jpg

We couldn't believe it.

We never thought we would see this day.

But we did.

Next up, we headed to the animation academy.

Where the twins were succesful in convincing the crowd to vote to draw Pascal, the frog from the Tangled movie.

I didn't know it, but I am pretty good at drawing frogs:

240.jpg

So are the TCD twins. These are Twin #2's and Twin #1's drawings (in that order) :

241.jpg

242.jpg

And, here are all three together:

243.jpg

We are all getting good at this drawing thing.

We still had a bit of time to kill before we could use our Toy Story Fastpasses, so we decided to share a couple items from Starring Rolls.

This is the Red Velvet cupcake:

244.jpg

We have tried one of those before. They are good.

We also tried something new. This is a Napoleon. I had never heard of them before, but Monique posted a review of this treat from the Disney Food Blog, and it sounded good, so we thought we would try it:

245.jpg

That was the best Napoleon I ever had.

Since there is about to be a lot of Beauty and the Beast influence in the MK, we thought we ought to check out the Beauty and the Beast stage show. It's been a while since we have seen it. One of the girls also heard a rumor that this show is going to be replaced sometime soon with a show based on Tangled. I can't say I have heard anything about that. Anyway, here's a couple of photos from the show:

246.jpg

247.jpg

After this, we went to Toy Story, and then decided to head out to a resort for lunch.

On the way out, I noticed that the hat had no stage. Maybe it's been stageless for a while, but it seems like there is always a stage in front of it every time we visit. So, here's the hat with no stage:

249.jpg

I have mentioned before, and I will mention it here again in case you don't remember me saying it, that even with all the visits we have made to WDW, there are still places that we have not seen. One of those is that store all the way to the left as you enter Hollywood Studios (or all the way to the right as you exit). They sell autographed memorabilia in there. It's called Sid Cahuenga's. I have know idea who Sid Cahuenga is, or why a shop is named after him. And, I had never in my life stepped foot in that place.

So, today, I thought I would.

I was surprised that there were other guests in there looking at the overpriced crap memorabilia.

Want to know what they have for sale in there?

As a public service, I will give you a few examples.

These photos are blurry.

It's kind of dark in there.

Maybe they do that to make it easier to hypnotize the guests.

If you want an autographed photo of the Hulk, you can buy one hear for a mere $225:

250.jpg

Lance Armstrong is the same price (I wonder if his price came down recently?) :

251.jpg

If you like the Tin Man, they have that covered, too (I think this one was only $300, which seems like a good deal considering what the Hulk and the druggie's autographed photos cost:

252.jpg

I hope Scott Hamilton never visits this store. If he did, he would probably be devastated to learn that his photo and autograph go for a measly $150:

253.jpg

There were probably a good hundred or so photos in that shop.

I didn't look at the rest.

And, I don't think I will be going back there any time soon.

We headed out after this.

On our way to lunch.

At the Art of Animation resort.

The Little Mermaid section had just opened, and we needed to take a look.

TCD

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will give one spoiler alert here. This video shows the coolest thing you will see in this attraction. So, if you want to be surprised when you visit, do not look. As the castmember gives her spiel,

You would have to pay me a lot more than $150 to put a picture of Scott Hamilton on my wall.

"Pete's Dragon" is one of my favorites and you should see it if you consider yourself a fan of Disney. It had an Oscar nominated original song and I feel it was a bright spot from Disney during a dec

Made it first. Back to actually comment later. :)

Ok, Rock'n Rollercoaster, one of my favorite rides. Congrats to Twin #1 on being the Rebel Spy (that is a good thing right?). TCD your artistic ability is much improved. It looks better than my 7 year olds (and WAY better than mine, yeah my son has passed me on that ability). Maybe this time we will make it to the Beauty and the Beast show. I agree with you on the over priced autographs, I will now not waste my time stopping to visit there.

In on 1 ! Congrats on your daughter being the rebel spy ! I'm glad they finally corrected that huge oversight. The napoleon looks delicious. I agree on Sids shop.... I wondered overthere one time when my wife was at the nurses station located behind Sids shop. She got her tylenol and I got to look at Sids pictures. I decided that I could live without any more celebrity photos in my house.

Made it first. Back to actually comment later. :)

Ok, Rock'n Rollercoaster, one of my favorite rides. Congrats to Twin #1 on being the Rebel Spy (that is a good thing right?). TCD your artistic ability is much improved. It looks better than my 7 year olds (and WAY better than mine, yeah my son has passed me on that ability). Maybe this time we will make it to the Beauty and the Beast show. I agree with you on the over priced autographs, I will now not waste my time stopping to visit there.

Way to go on being first!

A lot of how good those drawings turn out is on the castmembers who run the class. Some are really good at giving directions, and some go too quick and are not very clear.

I'll bet you could draw that frog as good as me.

I don't know what to think about that Beauty and the Beast show rumor. It seems like they will have a lot of Belle in the parks after the new Fantasyland opens. Maybe another Princess should get some recognition. On the other hand, this show could be a informercial for the new Be Our Guest restaurant in the MK, plus it's already in place, so I can't see them spending the money to make the change to Tangled.

Wow, I actually go in on the first page.

Yes, you did.

Good job.

You would have to pay me a lot more than $150 to put a picture of Scott Hamilton on my wall.

LOL. Hater.

In on 1 ! Congrats on your daughter being the rebel spy ! I'm glad they finally corrected that huge oversite. The napoleon looks delicious. I agree on Sids shop.... I wondered overthere one time when my wife was at the nurses station located behind Sids shop. She got her tylenol and I got to look at Sids pictures. I decided that I could live without any more celebrity photos in my house.

That Napoleon was delicious. It looks like a piece of cake, but it is much more than that. I am glad that we gave it a try.

245.jpg

Our town bakery when I was growing up in NJ sold Napoleons. They were my favorite. I had one at the French bakery in Epcot last year. Now I'm getting hungry.

I didn't know they sold these in Epcot too. Makes sense.

I am definitely going to have another one when I get a chance to.

I never had one before, and never even heard of them until Monique posted about it.

You sure can learn a lot from ff.net!

Great shot of BGWPT (bald guy with pony tail). I've never actually seen one before. Nor have I've ever seen a frog with a tail. I always thought Pascal was a chameleon.

Awesome job for Twin #1, check that off the fun list!

Pascal isn't a frog?

Nuance! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufneFSkdjBg

Thank you for pointing out that frog reference - I wanted to say "Nuance!"

TCD

Hey, there's still time to make page one of this TR!

But you had better hurry!

Here comes another update already!

We have already visited the Art of Animation Resort back when it first opened. At that time, just the Nemo section was open, and things were pretty quiet around there.

Today the joint was jumping.

They even had refreshments and a station where guests could pick up their refillable mugs set up in the lobby:

254.jpg

255.jpg

I have no idea what that was all about.

But, the place was packed.

I suspect that maybe they had a big group booked for the Little Mermaid section.

My guess was travel agents.

But, I never did find out why this was going on.

I was surprised to run into a Fiend here in the lobby.

Devores was there.

How do you like that?

Weird.

But, he had some relatives staying there at the resort, so he had come over to check things out.

That's what he said anyway.

I don't think he was stalking me.

At least I hope not.

We had lunch there in the food court. Two of us had the build your own pasta, and one of the twins had a sandwich. The build your own pasta is the same thing that they have over at the POR resort. We like it. They have some unique dishes here at the quick serve. I am going to give one of them a try the next time we venture over here.

After lunch, we took a quick walk over to the Little Mermaid section.

The Lion King section has been open for a while now, but we hadn't seen it yet.

They have some cute stuff around:

256.jpg

257.jpg

258.jpg

The Little Mermaid section is just on the other side of the Lion King section:

259.jpg

260.jpg

261.jpg

The Little Mermaid section is very similar to the other WDW value resorts. Except here they have the pool fenced off and an access gate:

262.jpg

They have a big restroom/laundry building by the pool, like they do at the other values:

263.jpg

264.jpg

There wasn't anything surprising there at the Little Mermaid section. It is nice and new, but really about the same as the other value resorts.

We headed to the MK from here.

We decided to spend some time looking around the Storybook Circus area.

I have mentioned in some previous reports that I am curious about one of the new tents that they have erected back here.

It's the yellow one there behind the wall:

265.jpg

For some reason, the big model of the new Fantasyland they have in Hollywood Studios does not say what will be in this tent.

I actually solved this mystery on my second visit in September, and there has been other information released about it, but at the time, I still didn't know.

All of the signage appears to be in place on the other side of the wall:

266.jpg

But there was no sign on the yellow tent. It appears that the tent is not going to be enclosed like the other two new tents:

267.jpg

I found a big Hidden Mickey here on the new pavement:

268.jpg

The water play area is already popular:

269.jpg

I am glad this wasn't here when my kids were little. It looks fun and all, but what if you don't have a change of clothes for your kid with you? Kids get soaked here. Have you ever been soaked at a theme park in Florida on a humid summer day? You will never dry out.

I am against this.

They were putting up a new sign for the Storybook Circus area. It looks pretty primitive here. It isn't finished:

270.jpg

Word on the street is that they have been letting small groups of guests back in to the Belle meet and greet in the new Fantasyland. We decided to head over there to see if maybe we coudl get in.

We got our first look at the new walls they have put up here at the entrance of the new Fantasyland:

271.jpg

It's kind of weird seeing these up close. When they were on the other side of the wall, we knew that they were part of the new Fantasyland. Now that the walls are down from around them, I guess that we are in the new Fantasyland. But it doesn't seem new. The walls seem out of place. But, they aren't done yet, so I guess at some point it will all make sense and look good.

There was a castmember guarding that door over there, and guests were coming out from that door. These must be folks who were let in to try the new meet and greet:

272.jpg

I decided to go see if that guy would tell me anything.

One of the new walls was still behind construction fencing. I can't envision how this is going to look when the construction walls come down, because to me, it seems like this new wall is too close to the old Fantasyland attractions:

273.jpg

I'm sure it will all make sense once it is finished- it just looks weird to me now for there to be a random wall in the middle of a path.

Here's the CM guarding the door:

274.jpg

I usually like WDW castmembers. But I didn't like this guy. He apparently wasn't allowed to say anything, so he wouldn't even acknowledge that there was a limited preview of the Belle meet and greet going on. He said that there was nothing going on, and that even if there was something going on, it was done for the day. Plus this was the exit for the nothing that was going on, and he didn't know where the entrance was or even if there was an entrance.

This guy was no help.

At all.

Fail.

There was another CM guarding the door that you see here in the middle of this wall:

275.jpg

There was another very unfriendly CM guarding this door. There was a group of guests who walked up right in front of me who asked about being allowed back there. The CM told them that there would not be any more previews today. So why was she standing there still? I don't know. But, us seeing Belle wasn't going to happen today.

Epic Fail.

That mine train ride is going to be something else:

276.jpg

We had acquired a Space Mountain Fastpass earlier that day, so we went ahead and cashed that in.

The secret camera caught me reading my times guide:

277.jpg

After a while, it was time to think about dinner.

The girls suggested Captain Cooks over at the Poly.

They have a Dole Whip machine over there, you know.

So we hopped the monorail and headed there.

I saw something that really bothered me as we glided out of the Contemporary Resort:

278.jpg

What?

Take a closer look:

278zoom.jpg

Do you see those two cranes and that building rising out of the trees?

That's the Four Seasons Resort.

Right on the other side of the Fort.

Why?

Why?

Why?

I hate it!

We had a nice meal.

I think Twin #1 was in charge of the photos.

Because I don't have any.

We got to watch a little football at the Ohana's TV too.

The Gators were beating Tennessee.

So, all was good for the TCD gang.

We headed back to the MK.

Did you know that they built a new water play area at the GF.

Well, they did.

You can see it here:

280.jpg

It has an Alice in Wonderland theme.

Thank goodness.

Now those danged GF freeloaders will stop pool hopping over to the Fort.

Do you see the people standing near the road in that last photo?

Like they are waiting for something?

Well, they were waiting for Cinderella's carriage to come by.

And it did.

But, I didn't know that, and had put my camera away.

By the time I figured out what was happening, I missed the shot.

But you can see a wheel of the carriage down there below the monorail beam in this photo:

281.jpg

We then continued on our ride along the highway in the sky.

The sun was setting and casting a warm glow on the Contemporary Resort and the two ferry boats crossing the Seven Seas Lagoon:

283.jpg

My enjoyment of this beautiful scene was marred by something, though.

Take a closer look behind that ferry boat on the right:

283zoom.jpg

That is that darned Four Seasons resort again.

Can you believe it?

A non-Disney resort is now part of the skyline visible from the MK?

Have you ever seen the video of Walt Disney proudly explaining how much land they acquired for what would become Disney World? He hated the blight that grew up around Disneyland, and went to great lengths to make sure that wouldn't happen in Florida.

But here we have a hotel owned by an outside company intruding into view from the monorail.

Yes, you can see other buildings off in the distance.

But nothing this close.

Walt would not like this.

Not one bit.

And in case you haven't noticed.

Neither do I.

Hey, that's 30 photos.

We need to start a new post.

Next up, we return to the MK for some fireworks and MSEP action.

TCD

That darn devores really gets around. I may have run into him a time or too myself in the last week.

There really coming along on Fantasyland. We haven't go over to that side since May.

I was surprised to run into a Fiend here in the lobby.

Devores was there.

How do you like that?

Weird.

But, he had some relatives staying there at the resort, so he had come over to check things out.

That's what he said anyway.

I don't think he was stalking me.

At least I hope not.

We had lunch there in the food court. Two of us had the build your own pasta, and one of the twins had a sandwich. The build your own pasta is the same thing that they have over at the POR resort. We like it. They have some unique dishes here at the quick serve. I am going to give one of them a try the next time we venture over here.

TCD

Stalking? No. I did not have my camera did I? I had the day off from stalking.

I guess that means we spend too much time at Disney when we cant go anywhere without running into someone we know.

As for food at AoA, try the surf and surf burger next time you're there. It is very good.

I was a little dissapointed in the whole resort. The theming is good, but in the end, it is just another resort. Nothing spectacular.

Well, Rita just made it on to page one!

Page two is wide open, though.

It's the next best thing.

So feel free to hop aboard.

We are still on the first Saturday.

The really interesting stuff is coming up.

I promise.

It's interesting.

I'm in! Always an interesting trip report no matter how short or long.

Thank you.

I am glad to have you along.

i am in. missed your trs

If you read the College Football thread in the community board, you can get a quick fix almost every week.

Note to self: Don't buy a cast iron frying pan.

For sure.

That's some funny stuff. But maybe not the best thing to be teaching little girls.

Did I make it? You didn't leave page one without me did you?

No worries.

You made it.

Good job.

Post first, read later. Hopefully that will get me on page one.

Way to go, Marty, you made it too.

That darn devores really gets around. I may have run into him a time or too myself in the last week.

There really coming along on Fantasyland. We haven't go over to that side since May.

I enjoy running in to Dave. It's really funny that I ran into him on this trip.

Yes, Fantasyland is really coming together now. I remember looking at the original artwork and trying to understand what everything was. Now that it is almost finished, it's neat to look back at that original artwork. It is pretty accurate.

We will be taking another look at it all later in this report. I am quick to criticize Disney, but I have to say it looks like they did a great job on this addition.

Did I make it to page 1??? i DID!!!! Wow!!!

Ok.... :popcorn:

You made it too!

Good job!

I am surprised you didn't make the "not impressed" faces on SM!!

How do you get to WDW and go to FSU games so often in the same month? That is a lot of driving!

I guess the "not impressed" fad is over.

You're not kidding I've been doing a lot of driving.

There was a home game for FSU on 9/15, but my oldest DD got an invite to the President's Box, so she wouldn't be able to sit with us. We decided to take the week off.

Also, FSU was playing USF in Tampa on 9/29, but I could only get two tickets, so my DD and a friend went to that game, and the twins and I headed over the WDW again. It was the first Saturday of Food and Wine. We couldn't miss that!

Stalking? No. I did not have my camera did I? I had the day off from stalking.

I guess that means we spend too much time at Disney when we cant go anywhere without running into someone we know.

As for food at AoA, try the surf and surf burger next time you're there. It is very good.

I was a little dissapointed in the whole resort. The theming is good, but in the end, it is just another resort. Nothing spectacular.

Yeah, I know you weren't stalking.

There was no way for you to have known we were going to be there.

We hadn't even decided to go there until that morning.

Thanks for the reminder on the surf and surf burger. I do want to try that.

I did like parts of the resort a lot. The Nemo pool is one of the nicest pools at any WDW resort. And the Cars area is really well done.

The rooms are kind of neat too. I think we will give this resort a try some time, maybe just for a night.

What are you tryin to say???

You're the one showing everyone your box.......

What??????

She didn't show me.

TCD

Yeah, I know you weren't stalking.

There was no way for you to have known we were going to be there.

We hadn't even decided to go there until that morning.

Thanks for the reminder on the surf and surf burger. I do want to try that.

I did like parts of the resort a lot. The Nemo pool is one of the nicest pools at any WDW resort. And the Cars area is really well done.

The rooms are kind of neat too. I think we will give this resort a try some time, maybe just for a night.

What? ?????

She didn't show me.

TCD

We have not seen the suites so cannot say much about them, but the single rooms are just like the ones found at the other values.

I do agree the pool is one of the better ones on property. The underwater speakers are cool and the fact that its salt water.

Im sure youve seen her box before.....