Do You Remember Your First Time?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn it Toddly, I do not smell like cigs only cigars. And I don't have a fire. Plus I'm not one dimensional, hell just look at those pic, I am definately 3D. I enjoy beer, punch, jello (whcih is go

I just want to add, that Bush has plenty of X chromosomes. I bet in perspective it now looks like the fake palm on Castaway Cay compared to its neighbors. And glad there were no standouts by the PoP

Sad to say but your site was filled with new people in less than a couple hours :'(. Wish you could have stayed longer! Great TR...waiting for the rest of the story! Amber's little Princess is stiff c

:rotfl5: Poor Tiny! For someone so smart, he can be so clueless at times. I always pick a favorite picture of each trip, and this trip it's the one I took of Tony, grilling.

The ONLY thing he has been clueless about is marrying me. He may be short, but he dosen't ride the short bus. No matter what I may say. :heart:

I forgot to mention, and also forgot to photograph, what I had cooking in the crockpot.

I was making some spicy hot wing dip for later.

When planning a menu for the week I had to consider

1. Just Trev & I = pretty much anything

2. Trev, me, Nathen & Amber = Family meal, quantity

3. Guests/Fiends = Party snacks to keep anyone from getting too drunk

Foreshadowing: This menu went out the window for various reasons, but worked out for the best in the long run.

Trevor and I had some crackers & dip and then thought it'd be nice to go down to the beach for fireworks. It was MNSSHP, so we knew they'd be good. I also like to play with my different night settings on my camera.

Some I like, some not so much. (Yes, devores, I know, user error :) )

FortSept2012161.jpg

FortSept2012162.jpg

FortSept2012163.jpg

FortSept2012164.jpg

FortSept2012165.jpg

FortSept2012166.jpg

FortSept2012167.jpg

As most of you know, every trip, I like to buy an overpriced drink and sit on the beach.

Hold on to your seats!

FortSept2012168.jpg

I was so tired. I worked Monday morning at 4:00 am, stayed up partying til midnight, then up at 6:00 am on Tuesday.

Stick a fork in me, I'm done!

So I enjoyed my chocolate milk while two obnoxious families with a gazillion children sat right next to us. Then, set up a 50 yard dash for the kids about 3 feet in front of our chairs.

But I was feeling the effects of my drink and laughing at with them at this point until the father came out with this little doozy.

"Kids come sit down for the fireworks and the electric circus!" :blink:

Some night beach pics.

FortSept2012170.jpg

FortSept2012171.jpg

FortSept2012186.jpg

Hallelujah, the fireworks began. They were good, the finale great!

I think one firework picture will suffice.

FortSept2012183.jpg

Trevor than turned to me and said "Please don't make me watch this 1970 parade"

I thought he'd endured enough torture for one day, so we headed back to our site. Mason got his bedtime walk, I curled up in bed with the latest Enquirer magazine and fell asleep within 30 minutes.

Coming soon: Site #114 is occupied and that can only mean one thing...... :partythree:

These jet skiers were stopped in front of River Country while their guide was pointing and talking.

FortSept2012052.jpg

I wonder what they tell people at that moment?

"We had to shut it down because of the brain eating bacteria in the lake"

While these tourists are IN THE LAKE!! :))

Again, just some random Stef thoughts, while I settled in for the ride.

FortSept2012055.jpg

The Avenger monorail was coming across as we went by the Contemporary. I kind of like the shot.

FortSept2012056.jpg

The unsuspecting tourists crept by us in the no wake zone

FortSept2012057.jpg

And then hammered down across the lake, probably in hot pursuit of antibacterial body wash.

FortSept2012058.jpg

I am going back to an earlier post to mention something that I meant to.

When did tours of Bay Lake on jet skis begin?

I have never seen this before.

I don't remember ever seeing a jet ski in Bay lake, tour or no tour.

If those jet skis were allowed to go full speed, like it looks in the photo, then that is something new. All the other rentals are slow and boring. This could be fun.

TCD

If those jet skis were allowed to go full speed, like it looks in the photo, then that is something new. All the other rentals are slow and boring. This could be fun.

TCD

if you aren't scared of the amebias

TCD

Watercraft Rentals

Embark on a guided, morning excursion along Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon at Walt Disney World Resort. Or, rent a 3-seat, personal watercraft—available throughout the day—and set sail for adventure. These experiences begin at the marina at Disney's Contemporary Resort. Call (407) 939-0754 for more information.

Watercraft Rentals

Embark on a guided, morning excursion along Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon at Walt Disney World Resort. Or, rent a 3-seat, personal watercraft—available throughout the day—and set sail for adventure. These experiences begin at the marina at Disney's Contemporary Resort. Call (407) 939-0754 for more information.

I think this must be relatively new.

I don't remember ever seeing jet skis in Bay Lake.

TCD

I think this must be relatively new.

I don't remember ever seeing jet skis in Bay Lake.

TCD

Been around since 2010, according to the website. Did you see the price? Maybe thats why we have never seen them out there before........

You know Stef, I've had so many firsts it is hard to remember them all......but the good ones do standout. :clint:

Great TR....love the pics!

Good work on the DB thief pics.

This pic caught my eye....I love all of the detail at MK.

FortSept2012065.jpg

That's Walt's son-in-law listed on the window below "gym".

You know Stef, I've had so many firsts it is hard to remember them all......but the good ones do standout. :clint:

Good work on the DB thief pics.

This pic caught my eye....I love all of the detail at MK.

FortSept2012065.jpg

That's Walt's son-in-law listed on the window below "gym".

Main Street, U.S.A. Shop Windows

Another small, often unappreciated touch that Walt added to Main Street was the placement of the shop windows. In the 'real world', most windows are usually a few feet off the ground, making it hard for anyone of small stature to look through them.

When designing the parks, Walt had the shop windows placed lower to the ground so that even the smallest of children could look through them and see the wonders inside. Why bring children if they couldn't experience everything for themselves?

Let's Meet Some ... Windows

The subject of windows is the reason why we're discussing Main Street today!

While his movies had the benefit of opening and closing credits, Walt's park did not. Fortunately, Walt Disney was a clever man, and he managed to sneak in some tributes to the people who helped build his dream in places that guests may not notice.

One of the most famous places for these hidden tributes is also on Main Street, U.S.A. On the second and third stories of almost every building on Main Street, you'll find windows advertising the various businesses that 'operate' in the town. These businesses are witty tributes to the men and women who made the Disney parks what they are today.

Let's have a look at some of these windows and discuss the history behind them.

Walt Disney World Railroad Office

Walter E. Disney

The first window you should notice is located in the train station, right before you walk into the park. Walt is named as the Chief Engineer, and rightfully so. Disney World was Walt's vision from beginning to end, and he was truly tasked with 'keeping the dreams on track', as the window says. Walt is also known for his love of railroads in general. He even had a 1/8th scale working model steam engine railroad in his backyard in California. Having his window on the train station is more than fitting.

Dreamers & Doers

Roy O. Disney

Roy was Walt's brother and long-time business partner. Just before Walt passed away, Roy had planned to retire. Rumors swirled that he would sell the company to the highest bidder just to keep it running. However, after his brother's untimely death, Roy put off his retirement and charged ahead with keeping Walt's dream alive. He continued with the 'Florida Project' and saw it through to completion. He even had the name changed from Disney World to Walt Disney World to honor his brother and to ensure that Walt's legacy would live forever. Though many played a part in getting Walt Disney World off the ground, without Roy's determination, it never may have actually happened.

click an image to expand:royo.jpg

Dreamers & Doers

roye.jpg

The Gentlemanly Sport of Racing at Sea

pseudonym.jpg

Pseudonym Real Estate Development Company

general-joes.jpgfashions-by-john.jpg

Fashions By John

walt.jpg

Graduate School Of Design & Master Planning

Contractor

Elias Disney

This window, which used to be above the Emporium but is now located farther down Main Street, honors Walt's father, Elias, who worked a number of odd jobs over the years, including farmhand, railroad machine shop worker, and professional fiddler. The window refers to a failed contracting business that Elias started in Chicago in 1895.

The Gentlemanly Sport of Racing at Sea

Roy E. Disney

Roy E. Disney is the son of Walt's brother, Roy O. Disney. He was the Vice Chairman of the Walt Disney Company for many years, and he currently serves as a consultant for them. He is also Director Emeritus for the Board of Directors. Roy's window refers to his love of competitive sailing, for which he recently received an honorary Doctorate from The California Maritime Academy in tribute to his contributions to the sport. Listed along with him are his ex-wife Patty (they divorced in 2007) and their four children.

M.T. Lott Co., Real Estate Investments

Donn Tatum

Tatum was the first non-Disney family member to become President and Chairman of the Board for Walt Disney Productions. He was also the first president of Walt Disney World. The businesses referenced on the window are all skeleton companies once used by Walt to buy the land in Florida that would eventually become Walt Disney World. As most of you know, if people were aware that Walt was buying land in Florida, the price per acre would have went through the roof. So, to keep things secret, at least for awhile, Walt created dummy corporations (all incorporated in other states) to throw people off his trail. Even though Tatum was never the president of any of these companies, they were all subsidiaries of Walt Disney World, of which he was in charge.

Pseudonym Real Estate Development Company

Roy Davis, Bob Price, & Bob Foster

Like M.T. Lott, this window also refers to the process by which Walt bought up land for Walt Disney World. When Roy O. Disney was visiting Florida real estate agents and looking at possible locations for the future Disney World, he would do so under the pseudonym of Roy Davis. Bob Price was the pseudonym of Robert Foster, who used the name to deal with landowners in the area.

General Joe's Building Permits

Gen. Joe Potter

Walt hired Major General William 'Joe' Potter as the first official Disney employee in Florida. Under his watchful eye, construction workers transformed 300 acres of Florida orange groves into the Magic Kingdom that we know and love today. He was the park's Senior Vice President after it opened. General Potter retired in 1974 and was named a Disney Legend in 1996. Dick Nunis, former Chairman of Walt Disney Attractions, once said that "...without Joe Potter there would be no Walt Disney World today".

Plaza School Of Music

B. Baker, B. Jackman, G. Bruns

All three of these men are known for creating some of the most memorable tunes for Disney's theme parks.

Buddy Baker, named a Disney Legend in 1998, scored many of Disney's movies, and with X. Atencio co-wrote 'Grim Grinning Ghosts' for The Haunted Mansion.

Aside from providing the voice of Goofy in the 1950s, Bob Jackman was also the manager of Disney's music department. He specialized in writing cues, small snippets of music that were adapted from longer selections, which acted as lead-ins or exits from scenes. He co-wrote the 'Swisskapolka' heard while climbing the Swiss Family Treehouse in Adventureland.

George Bruns composed much of the 'area music' heard throughout the park, but he's best-known for composing that famous pirate anthem, 'Yo-Ho (A Pirate's Life For Me)'.

Fashions By John

Original Disney Costume Department

This window honors the original costume department leaders at Walt Disney World: Tom Peirce, Orpha Harryman, Ken Creekmore, Alyja Paskevicius, and John Keehne. This window is also notable for one other reason: it used to include a sixth name!

A former Show Quality Monitor named Bruce told me that a few years ago he was in charge of building an index of all the windows on Main Street. While doing research for this window, he easily found information on the five names that are currently on the window but not on the sixth.

Eventually, he contacted corporate personnel archives to ask what that person did for the company. They replied that he had worked for Disney - but only for about four months!

The mystery became a bit clearer when it was discovered that 'Name #6' had spent those few months working in the sign shop and his job had included painting and touching up (you guessed it!) the windows on Main Street! Apparently, he thought that five names didn't balance well when they were split three and two, so he inserted his own name to make the pair of windows come out even.

The name stayed on the window for close to ten years before it was discovered. As you can see, the current sign shop quickly corrected that problem!

Bob's Two Cents: Learn more about Bruce by reading Jeff's interview with him in a recent installment of From the Mouth of the Mouse - right here on Disney Dispatch!

Seven Summits Expeditions

Frank Wells

The late Frank Wells was the former Walt Disney Company President and Chief Operating Officer. Wells joined the company in 1984 and, along with Michael Eisner, was an integral part of salvaging the company from financial disaster. Wells, who tragically died in 1994 in a helicopter accident, was known for his sense of adventure. His window, located on the third floor, is the highest of all the windows on Main Street. Seven Summits Expeditions refers to Wells' goal of reaching the summits of the tallest mountains of all seven continents. He managed to climb them all except for Everest, despite having made the attempt twice.

Graduate School Of Design & Master Planning

Walter E. Disney

The last (but certainly not the least!) window I will mention today brings us back full circle. Walt's window overlooking the castle and the park's main hub not only honors the man himself but also all the Imagineers who were instrumental in bringing Walt Disney World to life. Richard Irvine, John Hench, Edward Brummitt, Marvin Davis, Fred Hope, Vic Greene, Bill Martin, and Chuck Myall all worked for WED Enterprises and helped design the architectural and show elements that went into the Magic Kingdom.

I've Just Scratched the Surface!

Though I did mention quite a few of the windows on Main Street, I merely scratched the surface. There are countless others honoring the many incredibly creative people who helped create the Magic Kingdom. In fact, Disney recently released a short book about some of the windows featured at Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. Like this article, it doesn't include all the windows - that would be quite a task!

So the next time you take a stroll down Main Street U.S.A., linger and look at the windows overhead and appreciate the work of the people whose names appear on those windows - without whom there likely wouldn't be a happiest place on Earth.

http://www.disneydispatch.com/content/columns/the-626/2011/03-the-windows-of-main-street-usa/

Can I say I am sooo upset that I missed both you and Lisa...... why couldn't you gals have waited one month.... just one? :'( :'( :'(

Sorry Nicki. My original plan was that I would be there for 2 weeks around Halloween. Then my beloved Blackberry Smoke decided to come to Gainesville on October 24, and to Orlando on November 3rd.

I hashed out a deal with Trevor to take me to both concerts, switch my Fort dates to one week (for him to see Bruce) and one week in December to see Christmas decorations.

A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do! Let me know when you finally show up here and I'll try to get over for a visit, just to meet you!

I like the glowing orange Mickey pumpkin!

Thanks! Believe it or not, that one was taken on a moving cart! Sometimes I just get lucky I guess. ^-^

Those night shots aren't too bad. You did good. Where was this talent the night of the feast? Maybe too much libation that night?

Thanks Photopass dude!

I only had two beers that whole evening. You should have known that since the food was so good. If booze had been involved, you'd a been eating charcoal and potato chips. ;)

OMG the electric circus comment made me spit out my beer I laughed so hard. Very nice.

HUH? That's alcohol abuse!

Yeah, I had some things running through my head, that aren't fit for posting, after that comment.

Thanks for joining in.

Ahhh, my cyber-love returns! :hugs2:

Glad to have you reading along.

Guess I am a virgin, still haven't been to the fort, maybe next year hopefully....

There's a lot to be said for being a Fort virgin. To see it through new eyes was wonderful!

You will get there, and I'm pretty sure you will love it!

Sorry for the delay, to anyone reading along. Life has gotten in the way.

After my wild night of chocolate milk and an early bedtime, I was rip-roaring, ready to go on Wednesday. We lounged in our PJ's with no real plans other than looking forward to Judy's arrival.

Genia & Tony stopped by on their way to...somewhere (?) I took a shower and broke out this baby.

FortSept2012187.jpg

I bought this on a whim. I'm not a huge Paula Deen fan, but she hit it out of the park with this cake.

We then took the cart out for a ride, Mason included.

FortSept2012188.jpg

And made it as far as the stop sign.

FortSept2012189.jpg

FortSept2012190.jpg

A small chat ensued on the side of the road. Everyone was discussing what they were, or weren't, doing for the day. Secretly I was waiting for noon-ish, AKA beer thirty.

As we were parked illegally on the corner of the road, Tina drives by and tells me "Judy's here!" Yay!

Our meeting was just breaking up, when Bruce yelled from their cart

"Tell Nate, don't forget the lobster!"

??? Crap! He was serious about getting together for dinner?!

I'm Italian, from a huge Italian family. I went into panic mode. I didn't bring any extra tables, chairs, food.....and every good Italian knows that you need approximately 10 lbs of food per person, when hosting a dinner. Trevor calmed me down and said we would make do, or go to the store if we needed to.

While I planned in my head what we had and/or needed, we took Mason to the dog park.

On our way there, another cart passed us, going the opposite way, with some crazy lady waving like mad from the backseat. It took me about 5 minutes to put the face and reddish hair to a name. It was Misty!! I waved back, of course.

FortSept2012195.jpg

FortSept2012196.jpg

FortSept2012197.jpg

While Mason was sniffing around, Misty pulls up, jumps off the cart and runs in the dog park. I was thrilled that I got the opportunity to meet her. :hugs2:

It's now beer thirty! Back to our site to relax with a cold one. It was HOT! Our beautiful weather we had on Monday had disappeared.

Mr & Mrs. devores stopped by on their way for ice cream and told me about the CM preview for the F&W fest on Thursday.

SCORE! I can't thank them enough. It was great! No crowds, no lines....but we'll get to that on Thursday's update.

After a couple cocktails, I trekked through the muck to Genia's site, as I knew Tony was cooking. He had made steak and asparagus, which I picked off Genia's plate.

We had all discussed meeting at Fantasia for a mini golf tourney that evening, but while I was at Genia's, the thunder started. Tony and I checked our weather apps, and it didn't look good. We thought we'd better postpone the golf for another time and watch this front coming across.

Turns out, not a drop of rain fell, so we continued on our quest for a buzz.

We rode over to greet Judy and get a tour of her new MH. It is beautiful!!

Donnie didn't tell her we would be there, so the surprise on her face was priceless. There was a lot of hugs, kisses and shots.

Yes, I said shots. Judy had brought some kind of "cat something" down and Tina had made some kind of apple pie stuff, that was awe-inspiring. Always a party when Judy is around!

Bernard was even there, which doesn't happen a lot, and as I gave him a big hug, he said he smelled like a pole-cat. :rofl2:

I could listen to him talk all night.

Later on back at our site, Tina, Jim & Tara came by, Lisa and Bruce and eventually Tony and Genia too. You can probably imagine the things that were happening. Here's a taste for you.

FortSept2012203.jpg

FortSept2012201.jpg

FortSept2012202.jpg

When we heard the boom, we knew the fireworks were starting and everyone decided we should go. (I don't think I got a say in the matter)

Just was we were coming out, a car pulled into my site. It was Curt (boredinIowa) and his wife, so they joined us on our quest for fireworks.

FortSept2012204.jpg

Somehow, we all made it to the beach, though the fireworks were almost over.

Genia had found some young boy to play football with.

Genia = 0

Young boy = 1

FortSept2012208.jpg

FortSept2012207.jpg

Misty was also on the beach with her kids on their last night, so she joined our circle of goofiness.

FortSept2012213.jpg

Lisa photobombed Misty & I.

FortSept2012211.jpg

FortSept2012212.jpg

After standing around for quite a while, we realized the EWP was late! Finally Genia went a found a CM who informed us that it wasn't running this evening. HUH?!

We hugged on Misty and said our goodbyes as my group stumbled back to #431.

FortSept2012214.jpg

When we arrived, Genia realizes she doesn't have her keys. They WERE in her pocket, before the impromptu football game/a$$ kicking.

We searched the whole rv and screen room hoping she had dropped them prior to our beach trip. No such luck.

At this point in the evening, my back is messed up BAD. Bad enough that Trevor had to put my PJ's on because I was stuck in the bathroom. I figured it was walking around all afternoon in flip-flops, until I remembered I had rode BTMRR the previous day and had been thrown all over the place. Not my most well thought out idea.

Time for bed and my heated mattress.

For anyone in a tent or pop-up, you will understand this:

When someone walks up to your site in the dark, you can see the outline of a body, and it's HUGE. Just as I got comfortable, someone is walking right up to my bed. Trevor assumes it's Tony or Genia still looking for keys.

Then we hear her, as she's pounding on my canvas.

"nighty night sweet baby girl, I lova ya!"

It's Judy and Tina! :hah:

I finally found a comfortable position and fell asleep. Tomorrow is Food & Wine Fest, preview day, and we're going!