DaveInTN Went To The Smokies And All You Get Is This Stupid Trip Report

Remember this trip report??

Yeah, me neither.

Except that I didn't finish it. I kinda took a two month hiatus. The Green Death will do that to a guy. So listen up, kids. Stay away from the Green Death.

But I am recuperated now. So on with the report!

To recap, we are camping in the Smokies in October, at the Jellystone campground. INC and the girls played candy bar bingo while Anna was napping. I drank some wacky Ukranian beer near the creek and had hallucinations.

After Anna woke up, we put her in her Halloween costume for the trick or treating.

2012-10-20%252018.38.41.jpg

2012-10-20%252018.39.20.jpg

2012-10-20%252018.40.14.jpg

It's Mikki Maus!!!

We trick or treated, and Anna cleaned up with some good candy.

The next morning it was DD15's birthday. We headed back to the apple farm to have breakfast at the restaurant. I had checked out the menu the previous day and it looked good.

DSCN0905.JPG

After you sit down, they bring these to the table for everyone to share. Fresh apple fritters with homemade apple butter!

DSCN0906.JPG

Every meal also includes fresh apple cider.

DSCN0907.JPG

So far, I was loving this place!

Unfortuantely, that turned out to be the highlight of the meal.

The service was SLOW. But at least the view from the table was nice.

DSCN0908.JPG

This place did one of my biggest pet peeves. Our food did not come out at one time. Some of us got our food before others. In fact, some of us were finished with our meals before others received their food! I HATE that!

My food was pretty tasty. But I didn't fully enjoy it as I kept one eye on the kitchen door waiting for the rest of the food to arrive.

Here is my plate.

DSCN0909.JPG

That's grits, country ham, fried eggs, and fried potatoes.

There were also biscuits. We took a picture of a biscuit.

DSCN0911.JPG

Why? Not to commemorate the great biscuit. We took the picture to remember what was possibly the worst biscuit ever produced in the state of Tennessee.

It's pretty hard to make a bad biscuit. There are great biscuits. And there are lots of adequate biscuits. But I haven't encountered too many biscuits in TN that were horrible. In New York...sure. NY is not known for its biscuits. But in TN? C'mon, folks. It's not that difficult.

Anywho, this gives you an indication of how bad they were. This pic was taken at the end of the meal.

DSCN0912.JPG

My girls don't often leave biscuits on the table.

Now that the NHL lockout is over, maybe they could use these biscuits for hockey pucks. Game on!

Russians love hockey. But Anna was not impressed with these pucks.

DSCN0914.JPG

Nope, not one bit.

DSCN0915.JPG

They didn't ruin the time, though.

DSCN0916.JPG

After breakfast, we headed back to the campground, and decided to go up into the National Park for a hike.

The nice thing about this campground is that you can access park trails without getting in your car.

2012-10-21%252013.16.10.jpg

DSCN0920.JPG

DSCN0921.JPG

DSCN0922.JPG

DSCN0923.JPG

DSCN0925.JPG

Check out all the rhodedendruns.

DSCN0927.JPG

It was a beautiful day!

DSCN0929.JPG

Before long, we came upon this cabin.

DSCN0930.JPG

DSCN0931.JPG

DSCN0932.JPG

DSCN0933.JPG

Curious about the history of that cabin? I was! So I researched it here: http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/albrightgrove.htm

The Maddron Bald Trail was built in the early 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps which operated from a camp near the trailhead. The trail, an old gravel road for the first 2.3 miles, begins as a gradual ascent towards Albright Grove. It temporarily levels-off as it passes a one-room cabin, known as the Baxter Cabin, roughly 0.7 miles from the trailhead. The cabin, built in 1889 by Willis Baxter as a wedding present for his son, was constructed from one giant chestnut tree. Baxter's chicken coop, originally situated on the homestead, was moved to the Mountain Farm Museum near the Oconaluftee Visitor Center in North Carolina.

So that cabin was built from one chestnut tree! Pretty cool.

Moving along down the trail, it's time for a group shot. Group, minus one.

By process of elimination, I've figured out that DD6 took this picture.

DSCN0939.JPG

And this one. :rofl2:

DSCN0938.JPG

Coming up....we head into Gatlinburg, and meet some Fiends for dinner!!!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, we made it back home a couple hours ago, got the trailer unloaded, blew the water out of the lines and added pink stuff to the traps in case we get a freeze before Christmas, and I'm finally sit

Good morning from our creek.

And stay tuned tomorrow. I have some interesting Russian beer to try. Different than the ones I've had before. You may get some drunk posting!

Remember this trip report??

Yeah, me neither.

Except that I didn't finish it. I kinda took a two month hiatus. The Green Death will do that to a guy. So listen up, kids. Stay away from the Green Death.

But I am recuperated now. So on with the report!

And this one. :rofl2:

DSCN0938.JPG

Coming up....we head into Gatlinburg, and meet some Fiends for dinner!!!

This photo is hilarious! :rofl2:

Glad you survived the Green Death. There isn't much worse than that..... except for maybe bad biscuits!

Now. I am ready for Gatlinburg and meeting fiends for dinner. ;)

Great pictures. I have been waiting for this trip report to be finished. Yay.

Thanks Bo! More to come...I promise.

Cool!

Warm!

No, but I like this photo.

So you don't read trip reports, but you look at the pictures? Gotcha.

I'm so glad you finally got back to work keeping us entertained! It is sad to think of getting bad biscuits in Tennessee. Those fritters and apple butter sounded good though! Love the group shot and that awesome Stella pic!

I know, bad biscuits are inexcusable.

This photo is hilarious! :rofl2:

Glad you survived the Green Death. There isn't much worse than that..... except for maybe bad biscuits!

Now. I am ready for Gatlinburg and meeting fiends for dinner. ;)

I should have named the trip report "Green Death and Bad Biscuits".

Glad to see you came back to finish this one, Dave.

Good job on the update.

I love Anna's Halloween costume.

And, I LOL'd at Stella's self portrait.

Hilarious!

TCD

Yeah, that picture cracked me up. It's one of those that you don't realize you have until you upload them and start scrolling though. I cracked up.

Ok, let's move this right along, as nobody wants to read about a 3 month old trip to the Smokies and I have 740 photos of my recent Christmas trip to the Fort that I might end up wanting to share.

So....after our hike, we cleaned up and headed into Gatlinburg to walk around a bit and meet some good FrIENDS for dinner.

The spot we always park at has a nice little park with a creek running through it that we like to take pictures at . This year was no exception.

2012-10-21%252017.50.14.jpg

2012-10-21%252017.51.33.jpg

It's fun for me to compare pictures from the previous year to see how the girls have changed. Here is a similar pic from October 2011.

P1020252.JPG

Ch Ch Ch Ch Changes.....

One thing I love about the Smokies are all the little creeks and rivers....they are just beautiful to me.

2012-10-21%252014.50.51.jpg

Same as last year, this was our choice for dinner.

2012-10-21%252017.57.31.jpg

And this was our choice of dinner companions!

17086_127310587418360_837792981_n.jpg

That's Livluvsdisney and her family.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....I love that family!

Random shot outside the restaurant.

2012-10-21%252018.11.20.jpg

I don't have any pictures of dinner....yeah, I know. But we were too busy enjoying each others company and enjoying the good food. If you ever find yourself in Gburg, do yourself a favor and go to this place and order the Mushroom Swiss Burger. It is, as TNBob would say....TO DIE FOR! Z snaps and all. I could eat one right now.

So after dinner, Liv and her family got in their car to head home, and we decided to walk up the street in search of ice cream. As we were walking, a crazy family started shouting political statements from their minivan. We pretended we didn't know them and continued walking. Let me just say...Liv, if you are reading this, y'all made our day. We laughed a good long time about that.

Anyways, we eventually settled on this:

2012-10-21%252021.08.27.jpg

It was as good as it looks!

But afterward, it was about all I could do to drive the 20 minutes back to the camper without falling asleep. I was stuffed!

We slept well that night, with the trailer windows open listening to the sound of the river babbling along outside.

The next day was Gwen's birthday!

We opened gifts in the trailer.

2012-10-22%252008.46.48.jpg

Not sure what she was opening there, but she sure looks excited!

2012-10-22%252008.47.20.jpg

2012-10-22%252008.51.01.jpg

Oooo, you CAN'T beat cold, hard cats. I mean cash.

2012-10-22%252008.52.31.jpg

Our plan for the day was to drive into the National Park to Elkmont and do a little hiking.

So that's what we did.

This is the Little River that flows through Elkmont.

It's actually named the "Little River". And it's kinda a little river. So it fits.

2012-10-22%252013.47.38.jpg

Anna checking out a cool tree.

2012-10-22%252012.40.52.jpg

This waterfall can get MUCH larger during the spring.

2012-10-22%252012.52.42.jpg

Another pretty Smokies shot.

2012-10-22%252014.00.19.jpg

Photo limit....to be continued.

We spent the early afternoon exploring, then headed back into Gatlinburg for a late lunch/early dinner. We hit the Best Italian Restaurant. They like naming things with adjectives here . Little River. Best Italian. I guess it works.

We got a table outside on their patio, which, like many things here, sits next to a babbling creek.

2012-10-22%252014.40.15.jpg

They brought us out a huge portion of these garlic, butter bombs. AKA rolls.

2012-10-22%252014.57.13.jpg

These suckers were swimming olive oil and garlic. And they were quite tasty.

Someone, I think INC, got the meatball parm sub.

2012-10-22%252015.08.02.jpg

One of the kids got shrimp alfredo.

2012-10-22%252015.08.19.jpg

I had some sort of baked pasta dish. It was good, but I remember the sauce being a bit sweet for my taste.

2012-10-22%252015.07.52.jpg

We had mentioned we were celebrating Gwen's birthday, and after dinner they brought her a slice of this cheesecake.

2012-10-22%252015.25.20.jpg

That was nice of them, and Gwen enjoyed it.

2012-10-22%252015.30.50.jpg

After lunch/dinner, we walked across the street to the Ober Gatlinburg tram station and bought tickets to ride the aerial car up the mountain. Ober Gatlinburg is a ski resort / amusement park up on one of the mountains overlooking town.

Here we are heading UP the mountain.

2012-10-22%252015.59.38.jpg

2012-10-22%252015.59.53.jpg

2012-10-22%252016.00.09.jpg

2012-10-22%252016.01.27.jpg

2012-10-22%252016.02.07.jpg

2012-10-22%252016.03.09.jpg

For those Fiends that have been to Stone Mountain, this tram is very similar, but the ride is MUCH longer. The ride is 2.1 miles! It was pretty breathtaking from up there.

2012-10-22%252017.01.25.jpg

Once at the top, I bought us tickets to ride the Alpine Slide.

I thought the slide at the pumpkin farm was the Slide of Death. This thing actually lived up to the name. Well, no one died. But I think it's quite possible.

The Alpine Slide is a concrete and fiberglass track that is 1,800' long down the mountain. You ride a chair lift to the top of what is one of the ski slopes in the winter, and then you ride these wheeled contraptions down the mountain on a track. You are solely responsible for braking the darn thing....unlike Disney rides where they control it and ensure your safely.

It was kind of scary. And I loved it.

What made it difficult (and the reason we have no pictures) is that I had Anna on my lap, and INC had Stella on hers.

So I had to hang on with one hand, steer with the other, brake with my 3rd hand and hold onto Anna with my 4th.

Exactly.

So you understand I had no 5th hand to take pictures. But I did lift a couple of pics off the internet to show you what it looks like.

DSC_0314_350_420.jpg

And here is a video someone posted of the ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0KB9SL1AAU

If I remember right, it cost about $7 per person for the slide. Well worth it! We had a blast.

After the slide, we rode the tram back down the mountain to Gatlinburg and walked back to the van. We headed back to the camper with a quick stop at the grocery store for a cake....and celebrated back at the Jellystone.

2012-10-22%252019.45.11.jpg

And that was about it.

The next morning we packed it up and headed on home.

Sorry this report dragged on so long.....but now it is a wrap. Thanks for reading!

Oh wait, one more thing. I know this pic was already posted earlier in the report, but it deserves repeating here.

God Bless Dolly.

486651_372637032818235_1339916324_n.jpg

We were suppose to go to Gatlinburg over the Christmas break since we were unable to go in the fall. We didn't make it though Drew had basketball practices during the break. One day we will make it back there. Of course it might not be until after Drew graduates high school, but we will go back.

We love to eat at both places you went to. Steve especially loves the calzones at the Best Italian Restaurant. Those things are huge!

Yay for y'all meeting Liv and fam for dinner! :heart:

Happy very belated Birthday to Gwen!

We have been watching old video of the boys when they were very small so I completely appreciate the comparison photos.... no matter how melancholy they can make ya feel.

The Slide of Death. "HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP!!!" :rofl2: ..... and I love the way he "put his camera down". :))

All of the food looks great, minus the biscuits of course. The Dolly Pop is funny but I can't imagine actually consuming one. Not even at WWW. ;D

LOL, Love all the pics!!!!

Thanks for reading, Carol!

Great job, Dave.

I didn't know you had four hands. You shouldn't have drank the water in Russia!

Those comparison photos of your daughters are beautiful, but I hate to look at photos like that. I hate that kids have to grow up!

Now, bring on the Christmas report!

TCD

If I attempt a Christmas trip report, I need to be fully rested. A 2 week trip will be exhausting to write about. Let me get some sleep first.

OM... Dolly Pops....

Yep!

We were suppose to go to Gatlinburg over the Christmas break since we were unable to go in the fall. We didn't make it though Drew had basketball practices during the break. One day we will make it back there. Of course it might not be until after Drew graduates high school, but we will go back.

We love to eat at both places you went to. Steve especially loves the calzones at the Best Italian Restaurant. Those things are huge!

You talking about the calzones, or the Dolly pops?

Love that you all did the two man luge!

The food looks delicious!

The nature pics are gorgeous. I really need to go there sometime soon. Havent been there since i was a youngling.

Thanks Aaron! You should go there...and then stop in Nashville to visit us!

Yay for y'all meeting Liv and fam for dinner! :heart:

Happy very belated Birthday to Gwen!

We have been watching old video of the boys when they were very small so I completely appreciate the comparison photos.... no matter how melancholy they can make ya feel.

The Slide of Death. "HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP!!!" :rofl2: ..... and I love the way he "put his camera down". :))

All of the food looks great, minus the biscuits of course. The Dolly Pop is funny but I can't imagine actually consuming one. Not even at WWW. ;D

Oh, c'mon Kim. You really should try a Dolly pop sometime. They are the breast pops evah!