I Ain't Easy, But I'm Cheap!

To be a good groupie, one must be willing to change plans at the drop of a hat.

Some of you may remember I had originally booked a 2 week trip to the Fort at Halloween.

Then I find out that my favorite band, Blackberry Smoke, was going to perform in Gainesville on October 24th and in Orlando on November 3rd.

Time to change up the plans. I begged Trevor to go to both concerts, in exchange for switching our Fort trip to the last week in September, to see his buddy Bruce.

Fair enough.

Due to schedule conflicts, I received an email on October 10th, that our Gainesville concert was moved to December 6th. No biggie. That would give us more than 10 days between shows and Gainesville is close to home.

Like any good wife, I started scheming.

Our plan for the Orlando, House of Blues show, was to get a hotel for that night only and head home Sunday morning.

Since Nate was now a free man, he decided to join us and bought a ticket also.

It's been a long time since we went anywhere as a family, without any extra travelers.

How could I convince Trevor to take me camping after I had already made our previous deal?

Those of you that know Trevor, know that he's a gearhead. His first love is motors, with me in a close second. :)

Let the bribery begin.....

"How about going to Tropical Palms on Thursday til Sunday, instead of a hotel? You boys can do the bike show on Thursday night, the car show on Friday night and the concert on Saturday.Tropical Palms is running a special for November, buy 2 nights, get one free, at $35 a night!"

How can any man argue with that logic? $70 for 3 nights, quality time with his son, and MOTORS!

(I had more up my sleeve, but let's take one thing at a time)

He was sold.

I called TP on Monday and made the reservation. Once that was in the books, I told him I had also invited Genia. Since Tony was working out of town, there was no need for her to sit home alone. She too loves BBS. She couldn't come down until Friday evening though, so hers would be an even shorter trip.

Thursday, early afternoon, we loaded up.

BBSHOBNov2012003.jpg

Mason is so spoiled. He was not happy about sharing the backseat for this ride.

He stayed as far away from Nate as possible, and even hid behind Trevor's seat.

BBSHOBNov2012005.jpg

Rotten brat.

The ride was uneventful. It was tough to pass the Disney exit, but I promised Trevor this would be a non-Disney trip. We are headed to Disney in just a couple of weeks.

Compromise.

Tropical Palms is about 5 miles down the road from Disney, right in the midst of mass chaos on US-192. If you don't know where you're going, you would miss it.

BBSHOBNov2012007.jpg

We used to stay here quite a bit when we weren't planning on doing Disney, but we hadn't been here in about 2 years.

I knew they were under new ownership, which had me wondering whether it was going to be better or worse.

We really were just sleeping there, so I wasn't too concerned.

After turning off of 192, we started down the road.

BBSHOBNov2012008.jpg

We're here.

BBSHOBNov2012009.jpg

Check in building.

BBSHOBNov2012010.jpg

We were pleasantly surprised that not much had changed around the CG. They've actually made more improvements, which I will get to in the next post.

I had requested the very back of the CG, by the woods and that's what we were given. Score!

We did a minimum set up since it was a quick trip. No lamps or flags. Just my FF sign and my Jimmie Johnson sign.

BBSHOBNov2012011.jpg

While the boys set up the screen room, I was strolling around, talking on the phone with Jordan (who will be stateside on or about November 12th) and I found deer poop!

BBSHOBNov2012012.jpg

Ya never know what you will see in a Stef report.

Once we were settled in, I made some grilled cheese sandwiches for a late lunch

BBSHOBNov2012014.jpg

We didn't have any neighbors on either side of us, but there was a hybrid across the way, with the same screen room.

BBSHOBNov2012015.jpg

You can see the black screen attached to ours, as the sun was beating in on that side.

Other than the sun, it was a beautiful day, so we opened up all the screens in the RV. This was the view from my bed.

BBSHOBNov2012016.jpg

The boys eventually strolled up to Old Town, while I stayed in and relaxed with the Country Music Awards. I made it through the first half hour before falling asleep.

I had forgotten how noisy the Fort is with boat whistles, golf carts and buses. Other than a quiet hum of traffic from I-4 in the distance, it was very quiet.

I did take some pics of the info packet you're given when you come in. They really have a lot going on.

November calendar

BBSHOBNov2012017.jpg

They have a theme every weekend. This weekend was the Flinstones weekend.

BBSHOBNov2012018.jpg

BBSHOBNov2012021.jpg

BBSHOBNov2012019.jpg

Check out that special! 10 wings and two beers for $10. We're definitely NOT in WDW. :))

BBSHOBNov2012020.jpg

BBSHOBNov2012022.jpg

For obvious reasons, we didn't participate in any CG activities this time.

Friday morning we explore further and I took some pictures for anyone who wants to camp in Kissimmee, on the cheap.

In typical Stef fashion, I had one minor mishap................

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nate and Genia were getting their groove on? Umm. Right there at DTD? Oh. Wait. You mean dancing. Gotcha! Looks like a great time.

Friday morning I wake up at 5:30 to chilly temps, strange animal noises (not from the RV ^-^ ) and darkness. I'm talking, can't see in front of your face, darkness!

Trevor and Nate are sleeping so I don't want to turn on the TV, I didn't pull the lantern out the night before (which is under the couch that Nate is sleeping on) I didn't bring my laptop, and I was freezing. Crap, now what?

I started a pot of coffee, let Mason out to pee and hopped back into bed. I may have "accidentally" put my freezing cold feet on Trevor, which woke him up instantly.....oops. ;)

After a pot of coffee, we showered, dressed and went for a walk.

We had no one across from us either

BBSHOBNov2012023.jpg

Here's our site from the road

BBSHOBNov2012024.jpg

Looking back towards the road you come in on. You will see that there were quite a few RV's there, but it's so big, they're spread out and we purposely wanted the far back.

BBSHOBNov2012025.jpg

Mason's first glimpse of a duck.

BBSHOBNov2012026.jpg

Nearing the four way stop. In that back row, where that pop-up is, is the tent or P/U sites (no sewer)

BBSHOBNov2012027.jpg

This center section are pull through, paved sites, with no sewer.

BBSHOBNov2012028.jpg

Right across from those sites is a bath house and club house.

BBSHOBNov2012029.jpg

BBSHOBNov2012053.jpg

BBSHOBNov2012052.jpg

Also in that area are horseshoe pits and the dumpsters. From here, our site is straight down and to the right.

BBSHOBNov2012030.jpg

If you noticed the little bridge to the bath house, there is a small canal that runs through there. You can get a site right on that canal, which we have done when we had the pop-up.

BBSHOBNov2012031.jpg

Here is a shot of that canal from the other end, where there is also another bath house, on the right.

BBSHOBNov2012034.jpg

We continued down to the pond and Mason came across another duck.

BBSHOBNov2012032.jpg

Mason shied away from the duck, more than the duck did Mason.

BBSHOBNov2012033.jpg

We passed the laundry house

BBSHOBNov2012036.jpg

One camper had set up "pondside" but other than that, it was fairly empty back there.

BBSHOBNov2012035.jpg

They have a beautiful deck built around the pond with tables and huge umbrellas.

BBSHOBNov2012041.jpg

And this sign

BBSHOBNov2012037.jpg

Good call, Tropical Palm owners!

BBSHOBNov2012038.jpg

BBSHOBNov2012040.jpg

We decided to walk back as I didn't want this gator to see Mason as his dinner.

The very center of the campground has cottage rentals. I've never been in one, so I can't say how nice or not nice they are, but I do know they offer pet friendly ones, which is something the Fort doesn't do.

BBSHOBNov2012042.jpg

When we came upon a bath house, I told Trevor I was going to get some pictures of the inside. Off I went.

A shower was the first thing I saw.

BBSHOBNov2012045.jpg

The sinks to the right

BBSHOBNov2012044.jpg

And two stalls

BBSHOBNov2012043.jpg

This was my first time at this bath house. Hmmm, only one shower?

I found another shower stall back to back with the first one, and on my right....a row of urinals!!

YIKES, I was in the mens room. :unsure: Thank God, it was early evening and no one was in there.

I scurried over to the ladies side.

Same set up, opposite sides, no urinals.

BBSHOBNov2012046.jpg

BBSHOBNov2012047.jpg

When I finally emerged, I found Trevor and Mason had copped a squat.

BBSHOBNov2012048.jpg

Before we continue on our CG tour, I must say, they have done a fabulous job on the landscaping!! Being in that business, we notice these things.

We're probably nearing our photo limit so I'll pick up in the next post.

My take on the campground as a "guest".

Nice, clean, and as the pics show pretty open. I would equate the openess to the 600 loop.

One thing I noticed, is you did get a gentle rumble from I4, but was actually quiter than the Fort. I was surprised how I didn't realize nor miss the sounds from the boats, busses, wagons.

And honestly, if I was doing a trip with only parks during the day from open to close, this would be my place. Because if I wasn't going to have any "Fort Down Time", then the price can't be beat.

And with the Publix so close, gas stations so close and way more reasonable prices on food around, I think this is a great budget alternative.

On this side of the canal is, Wait for it.....FREE mini golf!!

BBSHOBNov2012049.jpg

Looks like a fairly easy course, but would be fun for the kids, and you can't beat free. Just give an ID to the front desk and they give you the equipment.

Looking up to the right, towards the front of the campground, is the premium sites. Too open and close together for my taste, but convenient to the pool, cafe, playground and store.

BBSHOBNov2012050.jpg

On the backside of the first bath house I showed you they have installed a dog wash, complete with hot water!

BBSHOBNov2012051.jpg

Here is the main road back out, with a dump station on the left.

BBSHOBNov2012054.jpg

We've only traveled the back side of the campground, but Mason was tired out. We headed back to our site.

Deer!

BBSHOBNov2012055.jpg

If Mason could talk he'd be saying "MOM, LOOK!!!"

BBSHOBNov2012056.jpg

We relaxed a bit and I turned on tv to check on the weather for the evening. Even at Tropical Palms, I can't escape Stacy!

BBSHOBNov2012057.jpg

Mason was not impressed.

BBSHOBNov2012064.jpg

By now, it was just about beer thirty.

Oh, hold on...rewind!

I forgot Trevor and Nate brought a pizza back from Flippers Pizza the night before.

BBSHOBNov2012059.jpg

BBSHOBNov2012061.jpg

Ok, back to beer thirty.

BBSHOBNov2012068.jpg

It was so great to have Nate around like the old days. :heart:

BBSHOBNov2012067.jpg

BBSHOBNov2012066.jpg

We all had a bit of lunch, then Trevor and I went off on the scooters to check out the front of the campground.

Bark Park (off leash area)

BBSHOBNov2012069.jpg

Behind the check in building is the volleyball court, b-ball court and the arcade. Volleyball, b-ball and a pool table inside of the check in building are all FREE for guests. Incredible.

BBSHOBNov2012070.jpg

The pool and cafe.

BBSHOBNov2012071.jpg

BBSHOBNov2012072.jpg

The playground, which is completely fenced in for those run-away children.

BBSHOBNov2012074.jpg

BBSHOBNov2012073.jpg

On the far right side of the campground are more cottages that people own and live in. We've peeked into some empty ones and they are adorable.

BBSHOBNov2012075.jpg

After scooting around, I got a text from Genia that she was in Orlando. Mason was waiting patiently in the doorway.

BBSHOBNov2012076.jpg

Nate was eating leftover Halloween candy

BBSHOBNov2012078.jpg

And Trevor was out at the picnic table.

BBSHOBNov2012079.jpg

Genia arrived safely around 6:30!

BBSHOBNov2012081.jpg

We sat around and had a few drinks before going to Old Town.

Mason enjoyed being free.

BBSHOBNov2012077.jpg

And Trevor watered a tree.

BBSHOBNov2012082.jpg

You can take a man out of the country, but ya can't take the country out of the man.

Coming up: food, cars, carts, bikes and rides. Wait...I don't ride rides?!?!

I'm first in this report. Ha Ha.

Well done Donnie!! :heartsmiley:

I'm in.

Three nights for $75?

Plus Brontosaurus Burgers and 10 wings and 2 beers for $10?

Goodbye Fort!

TCD

No pet fee either!

Cool!!! Can't wait to see what the options are outside the Fort. Although, with the price of gas, unless we're at the Fort, I think I'll just stay in a hotel.

Thanks for joining Carol.

It is an excellent budget option when not doing WDW. I hear ya about the gas! I'm so close, it doesn't matter either way.

I am in too!

:wave1: Hey Yvonne, happy to have you, although it will be a quickie.

I'm in.

:clint:

Well, you didn't miss much. The rest will involve you. :)

The campground looks nice when it's not crowded.

I'm not sure I would want to see it when it is full. Doesn't look like you get much privacy there. Or shade.

TCD

It is such a large campground, I have never seen it full. The front can get crowded, but I prefer the back by the woods.

The best part is that I could call right now and get one of those sites for this evening. They'e good about spacing you out so you don't have neighbors right next to you.

The sun was bad from about 1-3, which is why we hung the extra screen. I wouldn't want that site in July.

We camped our coldest trip ever there between Christmas and New Years 2010. I like that CG, we'll be back!

Please let me know when you do, we'll meet ya there. We have plans to bring Nate's camper, Genia's camper and whoever else wants to tag along and make a block party!

This is difficult to say, but thaaa...thannn...thhhhhhh, thanks for the great week-end. :heartsmiley:

Tony really appreciates ya'll letting me crash this week-end while he was gone. He missed seeing you guys and can't wait until the next trip with ya'll. :batman:

2K is another story to be determined. :clint:

So why did y'all bring the scooters instead of the golf cart?

TCD

Since the scooters are street legal, we could use them to go to Old Town, or across the main road is Publix, Walgreens, food options....

I'm along for the ride!

The campground looks pretty nice. How cool that some people live there.

Why am I not surprised that of all the people I know, you are the one that ends up in the men's room!? :rofl3: :rofl2:

I can't wait to see what kind of trouble fun you guys stir up!

We've been to visit TP but never camped there. I want to try it sometime. We like that area over on 192 for shopping, putt putt, fast food.

It was busy the weekend we visited, and the sites are pretty tight. It was Easter week, and I checked to see what the rates were (we were staying at the Fort the same week). The price was within 30 bucks of what I was paying at the Fort. So, it is less but rates do go up during peak times.

Thanks for the bonus shot of the hottie getting out of the pool! (Hope that isn't your son again, you are gonna report me!)

This is difficult to say, but thaaa...thannn...thhhhhhh, thanks for the great week-end. :heartsmiley:

No problem! We enjoyed having you.

Why am I not surprised that of all the people I know, you are the one that ends up in the men's room!? :rofl3: :rofl2:

It only surprised me because it was an honest accident. Can you imagine if there would have been some old, wrinkly, naked man in there?

EGADS!

Thanks for the trip report. I never new that this existed. It really is a nice alternative for the Orlando area.

Thanks for reading. It is tucked away nicely, right in the thick of things.

:suspense:

Hey TJ! Happy to have you along.

I've seen the sign for this campground before. Thanks for showing pics and telling us what it's like! Very affordable and looks nice!

That sign used to be on the top of the pole, much larger. I would have missed it had I not known where it was. Since you can see all the gnarly Old Town rides for miles, you kind of get a heads up.

As usual, another great Stefa TR.

I was wondering why Genia needed directions to Orlando and I had to keep it super secret. Now I know.

Can't wait to read more.

Thanks for reading, Brent.

:rofl2: Genia couldn't find her way out of her own damn state? Just one more :hah: that I can add to the list.

I can't wait to see what kind of trouble fun you guys stir up!

We've been to visit TP but never camped there. I want to try it sometime. We like that area over on 192 for shopping, putt putt, fast food.

It was busy the weekend we visited, and the sites are pretty tight. It was Easter week, and I checked to see what the rates were (we were staying at the Fort the same week). The price was within 30 bucks of what I was paying at the Fort. So, it is less but rates do go up during peak times.

Thanks for the bonus shot of the hottie getting out of the pool! (Hope that isn't your son again, you are gonna report me!)

No, Mrs Robinson, that was not Nate. :whew:

Believe it or not, we didn't get into any trouble. We had a blast, but everyone behaved like adults humans.

You got to watch the specials at TP. This November special ends right before Thanksgiving. In other words, they know when to jack up the prices, but they do offer a lot of deals when they're slower.

BTW, Stef the same ownership has a very similar location in Sarasota called Fun n Sun. http://www.sunnfunfl.com/

We definitely need to put together a locals trip! Check schedules! Let's pick a place!

I've not been there but I heard it's nice.

As my son would say (and would become a running joke on Friday night)

"LET'S DO THIS!"

Especially now while it's cooling down, Burnie could make an appearance.

BTW, Stef the same ownership has a very similar location in Sarasota called Fun n Sun. http://www.sunnfunfl.com/

We definitely need to put together a locals trip! Check schedules! Let's pick a place!

I am in on that action!!

As long as you are willing to be both DJ and bartender……...