anolefan turns 40 in the Snowky err...Smoky Mountains

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey! I think my daughter looks pretty in her pink outfit. Oh you meant the FSU gear? Sorry, but I sport more later on. And as a bonus, my son will as well :)

I forgot to ad one thing in Friday's update. Each day our boys were documenting their trip. DS7 was writing in his journal and DS10 was documenting on his iPod. I couldn't get quality photos of the

Now I KNOW you had to have made a trip to Cades Cove while you were there.... NO ONE, absolutely no one goes to Gatlinburg without a trip to Cades Cove....

Also, have you ever been over to Cataloochee? It's on the NC side of the park but you can get to it via a road out from Cosby... Its a mini Cades Cove with a couple of old houses and barn from where the National Parks Service stole, I mean purchased the land for the Park.

It would also be a great place to hang a Gamecock hat. ;)

Another great update! We haven't been to the mountains for quite some time and I'm thinking we're due! Beautiful trail!

Well played on the USC hat comment. You can't go wrong with a trip to this area.

Awesome update!

I have never heard of an Auto Trail, and didn't know what to expect. What a great idea!

This TR really has me thinking about a visit to the Smoky Mountains.

TCD

Thanks! It really is a neat drive. I actually enjoy it more than Cades Cove since there it is usually less crowded.

That cabin is really gorgeous! And so area all your pics of the area!

Thank you!

I just realized I hadn't commented yet, but I have been reading!!! This looks like it was a WONDERFUL trip!!

Thanks! Have you ever camped in this area? I'm not sure if I have seen any pictures on the other campgrounds thread or not.

Now I KNOW you had to have made a trip to Cades Cove while you were there.... NO ONE, absolutely no one goes to Gatlinburg without a trip to Cades Cove....

Also, have you ever been over to Cataloochee? It's on the NC side of the park but you can get to it via a road out from Cosby... Its a mini Cades Cove with a couple of old houses and barn from where the National Parks Service stole, I mean purchased the land for the Park.

Unfortunately we did not go to Cades Cove. It was actually the only thing I wanted to make sure we did because it has been a while since visiting there, but we had to pick up my birthday cake that my wife ordered from a local bakery between 2pm-5pm Saturday, and that was really the only day we could have driven there. I was pretty disappointed, but we made up for it by visiting a very neat park in GA on our trip home.

I've never been to Cataloochee, but it is now on my list for our next visit. Thanks for the information.

late to the party but in... those pictures make me miss my sister who lives in PA.

Thanks for joining in!

We left off driving through Roaring Fork Motor Trail and stopping off at Jim Bales Place.

Just down the road from Bales Place was Ephraim Bales Place, Jim Bales' older brother:

standard.jpg

Ephraim owned 70 acres here in which he farmed 30 and used the other 40 for construction materials since it was naturally wooded.

Here are some shots of the cabin and the property:

standard.jpg

I've seen this shot done on here with much greater success, but figured it was worth a try:

standard.jpg

I'm not really digging my result.

When my wife saw this picture on the computer she asked why I took it. I thought it looked neat, lol:

standard.jpg

Down by the stream:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

DD being adventurous:

standard.jpg

I have to admit, we did not spend nearly as much time here as we would have liked. I received a call just prior to stopping to look at this property from my brother, and they were in Pigeon Forge. We had to get going to meet them for lunch. We also missed the last two stops on the trail. I definitely encourage anyone who visits the area to be sure and take this drive. You will not regret it.

We met up with my brother and his family at Applewood Farmhouse Grill. We have eaten here on every trip to the area. We love the food here. I didn't get food pictures, but we shared Fried Chicken and it was good. And the Apple Fritters are excellent.

standard.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the kids outside the restaurant:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

We usually spend more time here and visit the shops that are on property, but we decided to head back to Gatlinburg so we could get the cake, and get my brother situated in the cabin.

Once everyone got settled in and unpacked, the kids wanted to play miniature golf. Everyone agreed that we would be true tourists and play what other than:

standard.jpg

Hillbilly Golf, of course.

One thing you should know if you are planning a trip to Gatlinburg is to be careful to avoid UT football weekends if possible. This was Homecoming for UT I believe and if you look at the above photo you can see the traffic. A lot of fans stay in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge since Knoxville is only about an hour an a half away. On my wife and I's very first visit back in the late 90's, we were stuck with all kinds of Gator fans everywhere we went. Poor planning on my part.

Hillbilly Golf, while an obvious tourist trap was actually pretty cool. You took a roller-coaster type car up to the top of the hill and the entire course was built into the side of a hill or small mountain, however you choose to describe it.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Up next, I will have a short update from my birthday celebration (very short), and then our journey home begins.

Well played on the USC hat comment.

I try. ;D

Loving this report! I believe I have eaten at Applewood Farms but for some reason I thought it was called The Apple Barn. Or did they change the name? As I remember it had the section shown in your photo and an older section which was pretty cool too. Wonderful photos! The kids look like they were really having a great time!

I try. ;D

Loving this report! I believe I have eaten at Applewood Farms but for some reason I thought it was called The Apple Barn. Or did they change the name? As I remember it had the section shown in your photo and an older section which was pretty cool too. Wonderful photos! The kids look like they were really having a great time!

I'll butt in to say, it is the same place. The Apple Barn is the store part. This is one of my favorite places to eat in Sevierville and we just ate there in the Farmhouse restaurant part in Oct. on a trip to Dollywood. In fact, to the right of the restaurant in the picture is the Orvis store and across from that is the Comfort Inn and Suites Apple Valley where we stayed in July and again in October.

I'd never heard of the Roaring Fork Auto Trail. We will have to try that the next time we're there. It's been a while since we've gone to Cades Cove because it is always so crowded, but Roaring Fork looks really nice.

Great pictures! Really enjoying your report. It's been awhile since we've been in the Smokies. Nice to see it again.

Thank you for reading along!

I try. ;D

Thanks KFK! I appreciate you following along and commenting.

I'll butt in to say, it is the same place. The Apple Barn is the store part. This is one of my favorite places to eat in Sevierville and we just ate there in the Farmhouse restaurant part in Oct. on a trip to Dollywood. In fact, to the right of the restaurant in the picture is the Orvis store and across from that is the Comfort Inn and Suites Apple Valley where we stayed in July and again in October.

I'd never heard of the Roaring Fork Auto Trail. We will have to try that the next time we're there. It's been a while since we've gone to Cades Cove because it is always so crowded, but Roaring Fork looks really nice.

Thanks for replying to that, I've been swamped lately. Roaring Fork is wonderful and you would most definitely enjoy it.

Happy Thanksgiving Fiends!

I have been really busy with work and baseball lately and have been slacking on updating this report.

First, I need to brag a little. DS10 and his baseball team have been together for just over a year and won their very first baseball tournament over the past weekend. Up until this championship they have been runners up 3 times over the past year, but just could not get over the hump. This tournament was probably the best baseball they have ever played. They put together a 5-0 record over 2 days and outscored their opponents 51-11! It was awesome to watch their reaction after they recorded the final out.

Here are 2 photos showing their excitement, and mine :)

Normal pose:

standard.jpg

Can't contain the excitement pose:

standard.jpg

I'll try and update the report over the weekend.

Have a great day everyone!

Thanks Seals! I thought it looked like the same place. The Farmhouse side is by far my favorite section of the restaurant!

Tom, congrats to your son and his team! Great job!