TCD is Thankful for Thanksgiving @ The Fort 2012

Well, there you have it.

There are a few funny shots on there.

We could do a better job here.

There wasn't one dude in a skirt or one grown woman with a Peter Pan doll.

Awesome night with four rides and no wait. The lights are so pretty. Wish we lived closer so we could do a quick trip during the holiday decorations.

Things worked out just right for us that night.

We didn't have that kind of luck the rest of the trip.

I am very grateful that we live close enough to visit for the holiday decorations. There is no place like it.

So bummed that we didn't do Toy Story at all during our November visit because the wait was always well over 90 minutes. I guess that gives us a reason to go back next year!

I really think they intentionally inflate the posted wait time on that ride.

They do at closing time for sure.

We will use that jumping in line right before closing trick again.

Loved both the videos! Thank you for posting them!

BTW, if you are going to be there in Feb. with barrels for the WW, are you going to let us corrupt the Twins - or are you going to try to explain to Mrs. TCD why you want to go to FW solo during WWW?

I was only kidding about the barrels.

The TCD gang will leave the WWW to the WW. And Donnie.

TCD

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK- I cry uncle!!! I am from Missouri - but Oklahoma was close. Our family had been in Pizza Planet at DHS when we saw you (my daughter noticing your girls first), everyone had to go to the bathroom

Send your daughters on Operation Beefcake for me!

"I think I might know something about this secret Hidden Mickey you mention. On one of our recent visits to the new Little Mermaid ride, there was an off duty CM walking through the queue with us. S

I really think they intentionally inflate the posted wait time on that ride.

They do at closing time for sure.

We will use that jumping in line right before closing trick again.

I think you're right about that.

We did this about a week ago. About a half hour before the end of EMH the wait time was posted at 35 minutes. I think that wait time was pretty close to accurate. Thanks to a little luck (for some reason a CM told us to go into the FP line before the stairs) we were able to jump in line 3 minutes before official park close. At that point the line was posted at 30 minutes, but I don't think we waited more than about 15, 20 tops.

I think you're right about that.

We did this about a week ago. About a half hour before the end of EMH the wait time was posted at 35 minutes. I think that wait time was pretty close to accurate. Thanks to a little luck (for some reason a CM told us to go into the FP line before the stairs) we were able to jump in line 3 minutes before official park close. At that point the line was posted at 30 minutes, but I don't think we waited more than about 15, 20 tops.

I see them do that with parties of two from time to time. Actually- the Fastpass line merges with the regular line at the base of the stairs. There is another line to the right of that which used to be the single rider line. They periodically will let parties of two use that line. You get to pass all the people waiting on the stairs, and go right to the loading area. I think they can squeeze in parties of two there at the loading area when they have a car that isn't full from a party of 5 or 6.

TCD

I can post one more update today.

I was hoping to get this trip report finished this week, but it looks like I'm not going to make it.

There probably won't be another update until Monday.

Sorry about that.

But don't worry, I'll be back.

We are now up to Thursday morning.

Which also happens to be Thanksgiving morning.

We do some crazy stuff on Thanksgiving.

Like drive home for Thanksgiving dinner and then back to the Fort.

It's dumb for us to do that.

But the alternative would be to pack up and leave on Thanksgiving, or the day before. And we don't want to do that.

So we drive home and come back. Which is really stupid. But we have done it for several years now. And that is what we are going to do again today. Surely a Fiend would understand.

But first, I have some time to do a bit of looping.

The only problem is no cart.

But I have feet.

And they will have to do.

Actually, if I had wanted to, I could have done some looping on the TCD bike.

But, I didn't want to.

I decided that I would just walk over to the 600 loop foot bridge, walk across, check out the Bike Barn and pool, and then cross back on the other bridge.

So, I headed out.

Things are pretty quiet around the Fort on Thanksgiving morning:

Thanksgiving2012524.jpg

The back of our site:

Thanksgiving2012525.jpg

Here we are at the 800 loop bus stop- you can see that the sun is just starting to hit the top of the trees- it's about 7:15 am:

Thanksgiving2012526.jpg

There are new campers in 617. Look how much space they have at the back of their site:

Thanksgiving2012527.jpg

They couldn't even fit their EZ up on their site. How would you like to camp next to this sidewalk? :

Thanksgiving2012528.jpg

Thanksgiving2012529.jpg

This camper was across from 617. I love the fall decor on his Mickey light:

Thanksgiving2012530.jpg

I have seen this flag before. But not with this elaborate of a set-up:

Thanksgiving2012531.jpg

Can somebody explain to me why those characters are grouped together on a Christmas flag? What does the Chesire Cat have to do with Christmas, and what does he have to do with the other characters on that flag? Same thing with Dopey, Dumbo, Mickey, and the rest- what the heck is this all about? Is there some common theme that makes sense for those characters to all be together like that? I think it's strange.

Here we are on the bridge:

Thanksgiving2012532.jpg

I love walking across this bridge and its twin on the other side of the Meadow.

Looking down the canal. Not too green and slimey:

Thanksgiving2012533.jpg

I like how you can see the reflection of this motorhome better than you can see the motorhome itself (over to the left) :

Thanksgiving2012534.jpg

Here's the good old fishin' hole, with Bob's dock across the way:

Thanksgiving2012535.jpg

I still think the water is too low.

I blame the metal pilgrim hat.

I call this photo Sunrise over the Chip and Dale Campfire Area:

Thanksgiving2012536.jpg

These paved areas around the fire pits are kind of new:

Thanksgiving2012537.jpg

They now use the paved areas to let kids do chalk art:

Thanksgiving2012538.jpg

Anyone who laughed at my drawing of Chip needs to take it back. At least it was better than that Dale.

Turkey:

Thanksgiving2012539.jpg

Continuing on our walk, the Meadow Trading Post is across the pond from here:

Thanksgiving2012540.jpg

They have gone nuts with new fences and bushes back here behind the Bike Barn:

Thanksgiving2012541.jpg

Every place has been fenced off and landscaped, and they have no golf cart parking signs all along the fence behind the Bike Barn:

Thanksgiving2012542.jpg

Campfire trash:

Thanksgiving2012543.jpg

Look at all the fences! What is with all the fences? :

Thanksgiving2012544.jpg

Thanksgiving2012545.jpg

It's kind of crazy how many fences they stuffed in here.

Let's take a look at the pool:

Thanksgiving2012546.jpg

It was pretty cool out this morning, and the pool was pretty warm. That's a good recipe for a steam:

Thanksgiving2012547.jpg

The pool has a few Christmas decorations:

Thanksgiving2012548.jpg

The sun has continued to rise, and is now hitting the top of the building by the pool:

Thanksgiving2012549.jpg

More steam:

Thanksgiving2012550.jpg

A purple alien. Proof that the world as we know it will soon be coming to an end, but not on 12/12/12:

Thanksgiving2012551.jpg

The splash zone:

Thanksgiving2012552.jpg

And then I continued with my walk.

I thought it was neat that this crepe myrtle still had a flower on it in November:

Thanksgiving2012553.jpg

And that was photo #30.

Time to stop.

We will continue with the stroll in the next post.

But, there will be a brief delay before you get to see it.

Sorry about that.

TCD

I see them do that with parties of two from time to time. Actually- the Fastpass line merges with the regular line at the base of the stairs. There is another line to the right of that which used to be the single rider line. They periodically will let parties of two use that line. You get to pass all the people waiting on the stairs, and go right to the loading area.

I was mistaken - the old single rider line you describe is where they sent us (not sure why I was thinking that was the FP line). We bypassed the stairs and got immediately on the ride.

The 2nd time through they sent 2 other people this way. Seemed totally random at the time, but maybe there was some reason for it.

Well, I'm far too late to this party, but I wanted to say, great report! One of my favorite trips to the Fort was Thanksgiving 2008. Thanksgiving is so crowded, but still an awesome time to be at WDW and the Fort. It's great to see you having such a great time with your family (including Rocky, the tether-dog!).

Hope all is well with you and the other Fiends I haven't seen enough of lately! (My bad - life has gotten interesting/complicated at home - but I do miss y'all!)

Leslie

Sorry I fell behind again.

Freaks are always at DW. I could sit and people watch for hours. You will see some strange stuff, but I have to admit I've never seen a dude in a skirt for no apparent reason. Do you think he was commando? Ewww

I hope you're doing something fun this weekend!

I am sad you will not be at FW during WWW, as that may be my only chance to meet the great TCD.

Oh, and i do not think it strange to drive home for Thanksgiving dinner. Lots of people drive hours away for just dinner that day. The only requirement is that you listen to Alice's Restaurant at least once during the trip. Then it is OK.

I guess if there are no updates this weekend, it would be a good time to work on Christmas Cards for the Fiends! :)

Great report TCD! BTW - a little meteorological trivia. The technical term for what you see coming off of the pool on a cool morning is called a 'mixing cloud' and it is the same thing that happens here up nort' with car exhaust when it is really, really cold. I'm sure that is something that you have always wanted to know. ;)

...You will see some strange stuff, but I have to admit I've never seen a dude in a skirt for no apparent reason. Do you think he was commando? Ewww

Thanks Stef! My new worst fear is to run into a dude in a skirt for no apparent reason who is going commando at Epcot while riding Soarin...

If you think it is bad when you can see peoples' feet on that ride, it could be worse. Just sayin...

I have seen this flag before. But not with this elaborate of a set-up:

Thanksgiving2012531.jpg

Can somebody explain to me why those characters are grouped together on a Christmas flag? What does the Chesire Cat have to do with Christmas, and what does he have to do with the other characters on that flag? Same thing with Dopey, Dumbo, Mickey, and the rest- what the heck is this all about? Is there some common theme that makes sense for those characters to all be together like that? I think it's strange.

I think Dopey looks like Porky Pig.

Thanks Stef! My new worst fear is to run into a dude in a skirt for no apparent reason who is going commando at Epcot while riding Soarin...

If you think it is bad when you can see peoples' feet on that ride, it could be worse. Just sayin...

:wacko: Ewwww!

I hope that never happens to you! :laugh:

I'm all caught up, and would like to point out that skirt guy was feeling all tacticool... He was actually wearing a 5.11 tactical kilt. I sure as hell would never wear one, but apparently people do. The link says when they're gone you cannot order more. Probably not a great idea for the 5.11 line. :hah:

http://www.511tactic...-Duty-Kilt.html