Stef Has A Need For Speed!

Congratulations on completing the 5K. Good job!

That's pretty cool that fans can get access to the track and some of the pit areas during the 5K.

It looks like it didn't warm up to fast that morning. I hope y'all weren't too cold.

TCD

Thanks! 3 miles is no sweat....well, there may be some sweat but you know what I mean.

It was a great experience! One of those moments when you feel lucky to be happy, healthy and fortunate enough to do those sorts of things.

Sappy story alert:

Jordan's company is making a movie of their time in Afghanistan. I've seen the trailer for it. The theme song is Bad Company, which you may remember. This one is a remake by Five Finger Death Punch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNHlVo0cPa8

I loaded that song into my itunes as my warm-up song. Starting that run, on pit road with the American flags flying high over the track actually made me tear up.

Count me in as one of those who would love to experience a NASCAR race at least once in her life.

Alice has been in another trip report of yours. Have you convinced her to become a fiend?

No fiendom for Alice. She's not a Disney fan, nor has she been to the Fort. She just goes wherever I drag her.

If you haven't noticed, she's black. In the last year we have taken her to the mudhole, Thomaston Georgia to a bbq fest, a rodeo and now a Rolex race.

Her first question when we invite her somewhere is "Am I going to be the only black person?" :rofl2:

Congrats on the 5k. Between you and Jason I might just get out and start jogging. It's exact 5k from my house to the beer store and back. JK!

That is so cool that you got race on the same track as so many of racing's greats. What a thrill it must have been

A thrill it was! And I see nothing wrong with running to the beer store, at least you're running!

remind me never to take your picture when you are cold.... you are scaring me.....

can you please come to wherever I happen to be for a month or so and whip my sorry a#@ into shape? Cause you is looking good.....

Sorry Nicki, you're not the first person I've scared at 5:30 am.

I would love to whip you into shape! You may find this hard to believe but, I'm sort of a drill sgt. when it comes to my training techniques. I like to hurt people. >:D

Congrats on the 5K :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy

Tell Nate and Alice congrats too!!!!!!! :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy

Were those plain glazed or assorted donuts?

Thanks dear! :heart:

Nate got plain glazed, right off the assembly line. He got me raspberry filled. I love anything raspberry!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very cool! Thanks for taking us to the track with you. I love it! Though, I must admit, I had trouble following along after this: Holy WOW. Molto Delizioso! I had more comments, but now I have for

And they lived happily ever after. Nice work. I'm thinking of hosting a watch party this year for Daytona. I've been getting more and more into it each, but apparently my driver can't get past 8th. An

I saw somewhere today, that they may swap the Rolex and SB next year. That way there wouldn't be a week break within Speed Weeks.

Don't know how that would fly with the NFL. Unless they push the 500 another week, but that would run into spring break. Rednecks, College Kids and then Bikers......

Called the KOA today thinking about next year, was told they will probably change to a 3 day min. next year. They also have some sites off turn 4 with electricity and water only. But you get a pump out "free" after the 2nd night. ONLY $150/night. Heck at that rate, I might get two.

How did the vegies look at the Flea Market?

We try to hit there our first full day to load up for grilling. But take filler frozen vegies if we need them.

I saw somewhere today, that they may swap the Rolex and SB next year. That way there wouldn't be a week break within Speed Weeks.

Don't know how that would fly with the NFL. Unless they push the 500 another week, but that would run into spring break. Rednecks, College Kids and then Bikers......

Called the KOA today thinking about next year, was told they will probably change to a 3 day min. next year. They also have some sites off turn 4 with electricity and water only. But you get a pump out "free" after the 2nd night. ONLY $150/night. Heck at that rate, I might get two.

We try to hit there our first full day to load up for grilling. But take filler frozen vegies if we need them.

Sites for this year's race? There is no way! Maybe they just got added, as in newly constructed?

Stef, you are adorable at 5 am……..way more than I would be, since I'd still be snoring and drooling into my pillow at that hour!

Bravo on finishing and in great time, too! Just my opinion, but I like the pink better than the camo and am glad you stripped those layers. Now, pink camo, I like. And I even own some! You know how it is in a house full of testosterone. I wear a lot of pink to compensate.

Ok folks, time for some racing! This was a very long day so I may have to break it into a couple of posts.

I will try to be as thorough as possible for my fellow race fans.

If you're just reading to humor me and my ramblings, you may want to skip over the commentary and look at the pretty pictures (or hot men)

When we arrived back at the track, the Ferrari Challenge race was going on.

This was a new event added this year.

Imagine buying a Ferrari and then racing it on a 2.5 mile tri-oval. Nuts!

Rolex5KJan2013063.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013064.jpg

Of course there were casualties already!

Rolex5KJan2013065.jpg

We watched them for a few minutes and then went to grab the shuttle into the infield.

I'm not sure what Trev was doing here, but it looks like he might have to poop. :rofl2:

(I actually think he was getting his ticket out of his back pocket)

Rolex5KJan2013067.jpg

Nate was looking sleepy after getting up at 3:30.

Rolex5KJan2013068.jpg

Taking the tunnel under the track never gets old. Just cool as hell!

Rolex5KJan2013070.jpg

The Fan Zone looked much different now than it did early this morning.

Rolex5KJan2013072.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013083.jpg

One of the first times that Nate didn't squawk at me wanting to take his picture.

Rolex5KJan2013074.jpg

Then the boys did a lug nut challenge. Trevor won and set fast time for the day! I've sent his resume to Hendricks.

Rolex5KJan2013075.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013076.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013077.jpg

We then strolled up to the fan deck.

Rolex5KJan2013082.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013078.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013079.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013081.jpg

RUBBER!

Rolex5KJan2013080.jpg

The driver autograph session was from 12:15-1:00. I've seen most of these guys before so I wasn't interested in waiting in line for an autograph. Some "walk-by stalking" photos would suffice.

I told Trevor, the one and only person I may stand in line for was a new-to-the-series driver this year, but that would depend on the line.

We were lucky enough to catch ALL the teams and drivers coming out of the driver's meeting even before they took their place at the tables!

Park Place Motorsports team-

Rolex5KJan2013085.jpg

Hot Italian guys driving for Scuderia Corsa Michelotto

Rolex5KJan2013086.jpg

Hot Italian girls with team Momo/NGT Motorsports

Rolex5KJan2013087.jpg

All of the Nascar drivers were in street clothes. I'm sure they're enjoying some peace before the 36 weeks of screaming fans.

They can't escape me though! I've honed my stalking skills for years.

AJ Allmendinger speed walked past us all, so I missed getting his pic...no biggie.

Clint Bowyer (with Rob Kauffman) They were driving for AF/Waltrip, along with Micheal Waltrip and Rui Aguas

Rolex5KJan2013088.jpg

Guess who was right behind them? Yep, the one person I said I would like to meet. Micheal Waltrip.

Rolex5KJan2013089.jpg

He was looking right at me as I stepped out. Before I could even ask, he smiled and shook his head yes. He seems like a guy I'd like to hang out with. Goofy and fun!

The drivers made their way to their tables and we checked out the board to know who was at what station.

Rolex5KJan2013090.jpg

Before we made it to the stations, we saw a huge gathering of people along with video cameras. Usually that means Patrick Dempsey, who draws a MAJOR crowd. He was slated to be driving, but we never found him.

This was Sebastien Bourdais, the most sucessful driver in the Indy series, winning 4 consecutive championships.

Rolex5KJan2013092.jpg

I'm probably nearing photo limit so we'll make a pit stop here.

Coming up: stalking famous and not so famous drivers and lunch.

Congrats to Stef, Nate, and Alice.

Trevor's activities that morning were more my speed though......take pics, enjoy the morning, and then eat krispy kremes. Good man.

Trash service! Wow.

Thanks Aaron! You're more than welcome to join us next year too. Escape the cold and have donuts with Trev.

Hadn't heard anything of the swap. My guess would be, the Rolex folks would not enjoy the Nascar folks. Very different atmosphere.

The KOA did have a few spots in turn 4 left when I inquired. $165 a night. Must be they still have them and the price has dropped.

Veggies and fruit looked amazing!! Unfortunately, we never made it back to get any. I told Trev after the races are over I'd like to go back and stroll the market for a day. It would really take a day to see it all.

Sites for this year's race? There is no way! Maybe they just got added, as in newly constructed?

Stef, you are adorable at 5 am……..way more than I would be, since I'd still be snoring and drooling into my pillow at that hour!

Bravo on finishing and in great time, too! Just my opinion, but I like the pink better than the camo and am glad you stripped those layers. Now, pink camo, I like. And I even own some! You know how it is in a house full of testosterone. I wear a lot of pink to compensate.

Thanks Cyndee. At least I had a hat to hide my bed-head and some eyeliner and chapstick. It could have been much worse.

I have tons of camo, thanks to my boys. The hot pink layers worked good for Trevor to keep track of me though.

Cool pics!!!!!!!

So do you get kicked out of the infield after the autograph session? Or can you go back and forth to the fanzone?

Yea, I can see the Rolex being different than NASCAR. But it is something I wouldn't mind going to see.

Audi did kick some GT arse after all.

Veggies and fruit looked amazing!! Unfortunately, we never made it back to get any. I told Trev after the races are over I'd like to go back and stroll the market for a day. It would really take a day to see it all.

I'm sure you know that the FM is the place to buy your NASCAR stuff at the best prices. We hit the track first afternoon we get there to pick up Tiny's event shirt, or to look at them. Then price things over there.

The whole first 3 years we were tent camping WITH transportation we didn't know about the FM. Learned of it after we got the RV. Some of the best asparagus and brussel sprouts were purchased there. And the pickle vendor is freaking GENIUS.

And now we know about the Wing House. My how our horizons have expanded.

Still thinking of renting scooters this year. Will see how the weather forcast is first.

Very cool! Thanks for taking us to the track with you. I love it!

Though, I must admit, I had trouble following along after this:

Rolex5KJan2013086.jpg

Holy WOW. Molto Delizioso!

I had more comments, but now I have forgotten what they were…….

Cool pics!!!!!!!

So do you get kicked out of the infield after the autograph session? Or can you go back and forth to the fanzone?

Yea, I can see the Rolex being different than NASCAR. But it is something I wouldn't mind going to see.

Stop changing your picture!

We know it's you.

Stop changing your picture!

We know it's you.

Sweetie that is artistic expression. :rofl2:

You've met me and know I'm not the shy type and will own up to whatever I say. I'm not the hiding type. :clint:

Besides the cigar smoke normally gives me away. Or Beer.

Sweetie that is artistic expression. :rofl2:

You've met me and know I'm not the shy type and will own up to whatever I say. I'm not the hiding type. :clint:

Besides the cigar smoke normally gives me away. Or Beer.

Yes I know. Just picking on ya.

Sow hat is up with the 3 little pigs? Any significance, or do you just like them?

My son's class has a pet pig. That thing is funny as heck. It's one of those miniature ones.

Congrats to the future tire changer on the 88 team, Trevor!

:banghead:

To be honest with you, I'd be Jr's official willy-shaker if I could work for Hendricks Motorsports!

No, you can come and go to the Fan zone as much as you'd like. They even have a small carnival set up in the infield.

Yes, Audi did great in their class. (Trev said yours is just as fast, but he won't tell Tony :hah:)

I'm sure you know that the FM is the place to buy your NASCAR stuff at the best prices. We hit the track first afternoon we get there to pick up Tiny's event shirt, or to look at them. Then price things over there.

Absolutely! Just don't buy a shirt with last years schedule no matter how much cheaper it is. ;D

So you are saying you would scare me into shape?

Enjoying the around the track stuff

I'm a firm believer in "No pain, no gain!"

Very cool! Thanks for taking us to the track with you. I love it!

Though, I must admit, I had trouble following along after this:

Rolex5KJan2013086.jpg

Holy WOW. Molto Delizioso!

I had more comments, but now I have forgotten what they were…….

Yes Maam!! The men alone are worth the price of admission. Now add in the accent..... :drool1:

You know I really could get into this whole racing thing.

If you followed it and learned the ins & outs, I guarantee you'd like it.

Time for the autograph session.

The two most crowded tables were Chip Ganassi's and Micheal Waltrips.

Major crowds!!

In fact, when I squeezed between a line to snap a photo of Clint Bowyer, a security guy told me

"The line starts down there"

I told him:

"I'm not interested in an autograph, just a stalker photo"

He looked a bit shocked. He was a DIS security (Daytona International Speedway, Not DISney) so he had a little power trip going on.... ::)

Another hottie for my girls....Dario Franchitti. (AKA, Mr. Ashley Judd :- )

Rolex5KJan2013093.jpg

Jamie McMurray

Rolex5KJan2013094.jpg

Dario, Jamie, Scott Dixon and Joey Hand were one of Ganassi's team (he runs 2 every year)

Ganassi's other team consisted of Juan Pablo Montoya, Charlie Kimball, Scott Pruett & Memo Rojas.

They won the whole shebang with Juan being the finishing driver.

Each driver can only drive for 3 hours before a mandatory 1 hour break.

Left to right: Charlie Kimball, JPM and Memo Rojas.

Rolex5KJan2013095.jpg

Another big crowd parted and I caught a glimpse of Nelson Piquet Jr.

Nelson was a Formula 1 racer and has since raced the Camping World truck series and Nationwide series. For this race he was driving for Action Express Racing

Rolex5KJan2013096.jpg

AJ Allmendinger driving for Shank Racing. He was joined by Marcos Ambrose but I never noticed him since he had a full beard.

Rolex5KJan2013097.jpg

Here is Team Sahlen. Don't know any of their names. As you can see, they weren't sought after. Poor guys.

Rolex5KJan2013098.jpg

Max Papis, a sometime Nascar driver, but all the time Italian, driving for AIM Motorsports Racing with Ferrari.

Rolex5KJan2013099.jpg

Boris Said, another sometime Nascar driver, but all the time big hair guy, driving for Turner Motorsports.

Rolex5KJan2013100.jpg

Last picture I got at the tables was Clint Bowyer. You couldn't even see Micheal Waltrip as he was buried in fans!

Rolex5KJan2013101.jpg

Now that you've had a small lesson in race car drivers, let's eat!

Sausage dog for Nate

Rolex5KJan2013105.jpg

Turkey wrap for Alice.

Rolex5KJan2013103.jpg

They enjoyed both

Rolex5KJan2013106.jpg

Trevor and I shared a big plate of nachos.

Rolex5KJan2013104.jpg

"Really, you have to take a picture with my mouth full?" Yes, I DO!

Rolex5KJan2013107.jpg

With our bellies full, it was time to take the shuttle back over to the grandstands.

I'll pick up there in my next update.......