Stef Has A Need For Speed!

Yes, it's me again!

I will try to make this as short as possible as it's NOT a Disney trip.

This was a Daytona International Speedway trip.

If you're not into racing, you might want to bail out now.

If you are into racing, stick around and I'll show you a good time!

For my fellow NASCAR fans, you know the off season seems to last forever. I needed the rumbles of motors, the smell of burning rubber and some hot men in firesuits.

The Rolex 24 hour race was this past weekend, so we booked the KOA up the road, loaded the truck and camper and headed east.

We normally stay until Monday so we can watch the end of the race, which runs from 3:30 Saturday though 3:30 on Sunday but Nate & my friend Alice (who joined us) had to work on Monday, so we checked out on Sunday.

Since we weren't going to be at camp much, we took the bare minimum. No cart, bikes, lamps, signs, coolers, screen room.....NADA.

Rolex5KJan2013001.jpg

Regardless of where we're going, Mason is more than ready.

Rolex5KJan2013002.jpg

Since I signed up for the 5k for Saturday morning, Alice signed up for the 2.5 mile walk. Alice has had a knee replacement so she can't run. Nathen also signed up to walk with Alice.

Trevor? He was the official bag holder, rooter and photographer.

Nate and Alice followed us in my Jeep since Mason hates to share the backseat.

Yes, my Jeep is covered in pollen! ICK!

Rolex5KJan2013004.jpg

It took us a little longer than normal to arrive as we ended up behind this vehicle.

Rolex5KJan2013005.jpg

This dude had a few flimsy straps holding all that stuff so we hung back until we could pass him safely. I wasn't in the mood to have a stove on the hood of the GMC.

We finally passed Sanford & Son and kept on driving.

Rolex5KJan2013007.jpg

It took us about 2 hours & 15 minutes to get to the KOA. Here's a shot from the road.

Rolex5KJan2013009.jpg

And the office as you pull in.

Rolex5KJan2013010.jpg

I took some more pics of the campground the next morning, I'll share those later. This is not a fancy place. No pool or clubhouse, just the essentials. It's all about location! This KOA is right on International Speedway Blvd, 2 miles from the track.

The new owners are doing a lot of improvements as it used to be a trailer park, so you may see some strange pad layouts.

We have stayed here before for the Rolex race and for NASCAR races and it's perfect for that scenario.

It cost me $90 for Friday and Saturday with no minimum stay.

For NASCAR events, it's $100 a night, 5 night minimum.

LOCATION!

The owner drove up on his cart and welcomed us. I went to the office to check in while he chatted with Nate, Trevor & Mason. By the time I came out, Trev was already backing into our site.

I missed all of the backing in because the owner stopped me again, to chat. They are a super nice couple that I chatted and joked with all weekend long. By now, I'm just ready to get to the camper and unload my stuff.

Nate, Alice and I needed to go to the track to pick up our run/walk packets.

Finally, I walked to our site and was unloading the truck when a mans voice (over my shoulder) says "Hey Shorty!"

In my head: dude, go away! I just want to get set-up!

I assumed it was the same guy....it was not! It was this guy! :heart:

SD.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013011.jpg

Nate, Trevor and Donnie had worked together to surprise me. I was so shocked and happy! It totally made my day.

We hung around and talked with Donnie before he left for the Fort to do some repairs on his camper.

Rolex5KJan2013014.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013012.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013015.jpg

After Donnie left, we left for the track.

This guy was at the KOA too. Notice his dog in the passenger seat.

Rolex5KJan2013016.jpg

In minutes, I got my first glimpse of the track!

Rolex5KJan2013017.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013019.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013018.jpg

I got a quick dry shirt and my bib. Check out that number...484, that's gotta be a good sign.

Rolex5KJan2013020.jpg

Alice and Nate just got a plain t-shirt, same design.

It only took us about 30 minutes from camp to track and back. Since I had worked and trained at 4:00 that morning, my intentions were to relax at the site and get a good nights sleep.

Mason likes relaxing.

Rolex5KJan2013023.jpg

Nate, Alice & I did walk across the street where there is a HUGE flea market. They have a leather shop in there where I bought a new belt. They close at 5:00, so a lot of the vendors were shutting down already.

Nate & Trevor went out that night to a new go-kart track and Alice and I were in bed by 8:00pm. We had to be at the track at 5:30 on Saturday morning.

Pics from my run, the campground, the race, the drivers and food coming up.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very cool! Thanks for taking us to the track with you. I love it! Though, I must admit, I had trouble following along after this: Holy WOW. Molto Delizioso! I had more comments, but now I have for

And they lived happily ever after. Nice work. I'm thinking of hosting a watch party this year for Daytona. I've been getting more and more into it each, but apparently my driver can't get past 8th. An

I didn't know you were a runner.

TCD

I don't classify myself as a "runner." I run 3 times a week to stay in shape and work the old ticker.

It was only 3.1 miles ON the track, I couldn't pass up the experience of running where thousands of race cars drive.

I am in!

You should have checked in sooner so you could have 888.

Egads! I would have probably hit the wall and torn a knee with that number. :P

Oh pish. YOu don't need to be into racing to enjoy a Stef report! Besides, there are photos of Mason. :popcorn:

Thanks Kim, racing isn't for everyone but I do have a ace Mason up my sleeve.

:pc: :pc:

We may need that double batch TJ.

I'm In!!

Yay! Happy to have you.

Hey, camping anywhere is a GREAT trip report!!!!

I agree Carol, but I didn't want folks to jump in looking for Mickey and seeing Michael instead (We'll get to that soon)

Awesome. KOA. Good tip, I want to take my son over there for a race, maybe camping can be involved afterall!

Hey, Lamont you big dummy!

More pics of KOA on the way. It's cheap and LOUD when a race is going on. I even have a video from my bed. (No, not that kind of video... ??? )

I'm coming to join you Elizabeth!

Not yet Dave! At least let me finish this report.

another trip report-looks like its gonna be good, I'm in!

Yes, ya'll will be sick of Stef by the time I'm finished! I promise I will lay low for a while after this one.

Thanks for joining me.

Wow, another tr. when do you slow down to catch a breath.......

I like your pups approach. He's always excited to go some place else, just because its a new place to relax and take it all in.

I don't slow down much, but I'm getting ready to. I'm exhausted after the month with Jordan, two Fort trips, the holidays and this race. Probably chill out for the next couple of weeks.

:jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy

Since the cow pasture is 40/night, 45/night with electricity and water.AWESOME!

100/night with 5 night min.......@#$% NO!!!!!!! That's 50/night difference for beer..........see what I did there. I thnk :clint:

And for everyone just dying to know where my cow pasture is, the first pic of the track and hang a right. Right beside the dog racies.

And depending on how your TR is, I may or may not tell you that Tony whined asked about ya'll and the Rolex a couple of times this week. :batman:

Damn you for getting him to talk. :banghead:

Is there a dog park at the KOA or aournd?

Do they allow controlled fires?

Would you be comfortable with the scooters back and forth to the track from there?

Did they build a sidewalk all the way to the wing house on THAT side?

If I remember correctly McD's is a game of frogger away, any convience stores on the KOA side of the Hwy?

How much for the races? Is there a min pace required? What did you think of the surface?

Did you wave at my seats on the super speed stretch? Also known as Daytona Francesse for more money for the back stretch since we call it Super Speed stretch....

My alarm went off at 3:30 on Saturday morning and it was COLD outside!

Like, see your breath, 47 degrees cold. Brrrr!

I had some coffee, ate a banana and layered the clothes. Nate had planned on walking in shorts. He decided against it when he rose from under the covers.

Instead he went for the "great white hunter" look. (Picture of health, Nate has a dip in ::) )

5Kgroup.jpg

We left the campground at 5:15 to catch the shuttle to the inside of the track.

Rolex5KJan2013025.jpg

Hopped on the shuttle....freezing!

Rolex5KJan2013027.jpg

Some of the participants waited until the morning to pick up their packets. We stopped by the inspection building to make sure we were good to go. We were.

Rolex5KJan2013032.jpg

It was very strange to be at the track at this hour. Completely deserted and covered in haze.

Rolex5KJan2013028.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013029.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013033.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013040.jpg

Since it was only open to the runners, we strolled around. No one told us we couldn't!?

Rolex5KJan2013034.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013035.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013036.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013037.jpg

After prowling around the infield and garages, we made our way to pit lane to wait.

Rolex5KJan2013038.jpg

RACING- So exciting, even the fans leave skid marks!

Rolex5KJan2013042.jpg

Freezing!!

Rolex5KJan2013041.jpg

Right up until 5 minutes before I took off running, I debated on keeping my jacket on. After I did a warm up run down pit lane, I stripped down to the last two layers and gave my jacket to Trev.

We never paid attention to where we were on the pit wall but if you look behind Nate, it's the 99 Gainsco team! That's who Jimmie drove for 2 years ago when he drove in the Rolex.

Rolex5KJan2013043.jpg

No one told Trevor he couldn't get in the pit box and sniff around.

Rolex5KJan2013044.jpg

The runners were starting at 7:00, the walkers at 7:05. That meant Alice & Nate were going to be right behind me for a few minutes at the start.

At 6:30, we all walked down to turn 4, then I jogged back. My biggest worry was warming up my thighs and calves in the cold weather.

7:00 rolls around and we're off!

We'll pick up there in the next update!

First Page?? Boogerty Boogerty Let's Go Racin' Boys!!!

Way to go Gary!! If ya ain't first, you're last!

"I will try to make this as short as possible"

Anybody else see the irony here? :wave1:

:rofl2: Nice one Todd! I should know better than to use the word short.

:jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy

Since the cow pasture is 40/night, 45/night with electricity and water.AWESOME!

100/night with 5 night min.......@#$% NO!!!!!!! That's 50/night difference for beer..........see what I did there. I thnk :clint:

And for everyone just dying to know where my cow pasture is, the first pic of the track and hang a right. Right beside the dog racies.

And depending on how your TR is, I may or may not tell you that Tony whined asked about ya'll and the Rolex a couple of times this week. :batman:

Damn you for getting him to talk. :banghead:

Poor Tony, I don't know how he lives with you!

Next year, ya'll should just come down for the rolex and stay until the 500, then we'll put you out to pasture.

That hurts Stef.....

First the Notre Dame jokes from all these Michigan fans around here and now this....LOL.

Sorry Aaron, I couldn't help myself! If I promise to cheer for Jr at least once in the 500, will you forgive me? :worship:

Is there a dog park at the KOA or aournd?

Do they allow controlled fires?

Would you be comfortable with the scooters back and forth to the track from there?

Did they build a sidewalk all the way to the wing house on THAT side?

If I remember correctly McD's is a game of frogger away, any convience stores on the KOA side of the Hwy?

How much for the races? Is there a min pace required? What did you think of the surface?

Did you wave at my seats on the super speed stretch? Also known as Daytona Francesse for more money for the back stretch since we call it Super Speed stretch....

Phew!

No dog park, just dog walk areas.

I saw a fire pit up by the office so I would assume if you had a pit, you can have a fire.

Yes, to scooters. We've biked that road during the 400 and walked it from a Nationwide race. Sidewalks all the way until you pass under 95, which is about 1/4 mile from KOA.

McD's across the street. A Shell (I believe) right by Winghouse.

Run was $27 which included a quick dry shirt and 2 day ticket for stands and infield! I bought Trevors ticket for $55.

Needless to say he is running/walking (or scratching himself for all I care) next year just for the shirt and cheaper ticket.

I don't believe there was a pace. There were A LOT of folks still running when we exited the infield. ( we didn't stay to watch the awards)

There are A LOT of patches in that asphalt, including the big one caused by JPM's run in with the jet dryer.

I did shoot your seats a bird.

I am an Indy Car fan so does that count? Besides reading Genia post about nate....

Of course! Anything that goes fast and rumbles is all right in my book!

I'm in. Love my NASCAR!!! Can't wait for the Daytona 500 and the rest of the season!!!!. :jumpforjoy

Woohoo, me too!!

Glad to have you along for the ride. We must have been posting at the same time.

I'm in.... Not sure how I feel about the Nascar experience. I enjoyed going to the races as a fan, but spent 8 years working in the Poconos in the shadow of Pocono International. Kinda changed my perception. Some day when we meet remind me to tell you a funny story about ESPN and Nascar.

But... if you go mudding again... I am so in...