Anyone use a Saturn Vue to pull a pop up?

In my non Larry voice, depending on the GWV (do not go by the dry weight of the unit) of the pop up, you could be pushing the limits. Dont forget you still have to figure out the weight of all the passengers, cargo, and a full tank of fuel of the tow vehicle. Other things to consider and what might help is trailer brakes, which you would need a brake controller wired in the TV, and adding an after market transmission cooler to the TV.

If you are only looking at really short trips I could probably do it and even then you would need to put some money into the Saturn. It's just not worth it. If you are really serious I'd start looking for a good sized SUV or a half ton truck. Both should do fine pulling any pop up out there. Look for something that already has a tow package. When it comes to tow vehicles I'd say buy something that has much greater capacity then you think you need because once people buy one RV they sometimes fall in love with it and then end up selling that one and buying a larger one. Happens to so many people including me.

Buying a bigger car isn't in the budget yet (plus we are hoping to keep our current ones until they beg for mercy). We were hoping be able to start small and cheap and see how it goes before making any large purchases. Trips would probably be close to home, no more than 3-4 hours and probably just long weekends at first. Plus if we don't leave South jersey we won't have to worry about hills or mountains lol!

Thanks for everyone's input. Keep it coming if you have more, gives us stuff to think about that we didn't think of!

Yeah when I was talking short trips I was thinking less than an hour. With the Saturn you would be overheating your trans pretty quick unless you had a cooler. Long time ago I had a Explorer Sport V6 and towed a uhaul trailer...ended up overheating and screwing up my trans. Never again do I want that happening. If you can borrow the 250 you would be in business. I can certainly understand not buying new vehicles (or new to you) and budgets.

Yeah when I was talking short trips I was thinking less than an hour. With the Saturn you would be overheating your trans pretty quick unless you had a cooler. Long time ago I had a Explorer Sport V6 and towed a uhaul trailer...ended up overheating and screwing up my trans. Never again do I want that happening.

Well you don't have to worry about that anymore as UHaul won't rent anything towable to "Explorers". I've got a V8 Explorer Sport Trac with tow package, factory transmission cooler, and 7K tow limit, and I can't even rent their tiniest trailer.

But my BIL with a small Sante Fe can. STUPID!!!!!!

I saw a couple tiny trailers at the Fort that look like they have a queen bed in the trailer and a large tent that folds out from the trailer. Could something like that work for you? I think those trailers could probably be hauled by a golfcart but i confess i dont know much on this topic.

We have decided to squash the idea of the Vue. I love my girl but I don't want to run her into the ground. My husband's boss has a pop up and said we can come over this weekend and he will show us how it goes up, what the inside is like, etx to get a better idea before we go on a goose chase to find out its not what we want.

We spend two years wanting an RV before we actually pulled the trigger so no need to jump into it faster than you feel comfortable. Personally once we got our first one I started wishing we would have bought one a lot sooner. But you do hear stories of people that like the idea of RVing, get one, and then it just sits unused. I think the idea of getting a used pop up or smaller travel trailer is a good one for anyone wanting to start RVing. If you end up not liking it then you really are not out too much and because it's used you won't take a very big deprecation hit...in fact some have sold used trailers for as much or more than they bought them for. Best time to buy is fall/winter...worst time is probably spring. Kind of like boats.

We have decided to squash the idea of the Vue. I love my girl but I don't want to run her into the ground. My husband's boss has a pop up and said we can come over this weekend and he will show us how it goes up, what the inside is like, etx to get a better idea before we go on a goose chase to find out its not what we want.

When it comes to campers. No matter what you want, it's never what you want. But some come closer then others.

If you would really like to see a bunch of rv's at one place try to get to a show,plus they have campgrounds with info there also, here is one that would be close to you next week. http://www.readingrvshow.com/

If you would really like to see a bunch of rv's at one place try to get to a show,plus they have campgrounds with info there also, here is one that would be close to you next week. http://www.readingrvshow.com/

I agree with going to a show. You can really see what's out there. If you are buying new you will also get your best price at a show. But in your case it sounds like tipping your toe in with a used unit might be the best bet. I'll warn you...lots of people go with the best intentions to only look and end up buying HAHA.