Anyone use a Saturn Vue to pull a pop up?

I agree with going to a show. You can really see what's out there. If you are buying new you will also get your best price at a show. But in your case it sounds like tipping your toe in with a used unit might be the best bet. I'll warn you...lots of people go with the best intentions to only look and end up buying HAHA.

That's the reason my wife will not let me go alone or makes me leave the checkbook and credit cards at home :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

We purchased a "very" vintage Coleman Sequioa that I will be towing with my 2008 Kia Sedona. It has a 3500lb tow rating also. Granted we haven't taken it anywhere yet, as I just had the hitch installed last week.

We're figuring with people and gear, we will be way under the 3500lbs. Good luck with shopping!

Our hot water heater took a crap today so there went 1/2 of our pop up money. At least not we won't rush it!

That stinks!

I'm surprised a Vue wouldn't tow a pop-up. We used to tow one with an Explorer growing up (and that was going into the North GA mountains), and I have friends who use a minivan. I'm not sure on the weights of them though. I know they make some fancy pop-ups these days.

We purchased a "very" vintage Coleman Sequioa that I will be towing with my 2008 Kia Sedona. It has a 3500lb tow rating also. Granted we haven't taken it anywhere yet, as I just had the hitch installed last week.

We're figuring with people and gear, we will be way under the 3500lbs. Good luck with shopping!

You would be surprised at how much weight builds up.

You would be surprised at how much weight builds up.

I guess at this point I have no choice. :)

"Trixie" (the pop up) weighs 1800lbs. Hopefully we'll be able to pull her the 30 or so miles to our local state parks. As that will be the extent of our vacationing this summer. ;)

I guess at this point I have no choice. :)

"Trixie" (the pop up) weighs 1800lbs. Hopefully we'll be able to pull her the 30 or so miles to our local state parks. As that will be the extent of our vacationing this summer. ;)

I was thinking the same about the weight adding up quick. Is the 1800lbs the dry weight? Keep in mind you have to count all the people in the car other than the driver and all the contents. If you are only going 30 miles or so you should be ok. Let us know how it ends up towing.

Distance driven really is irrelevant. If you are overweight, you are overweight whether you are driving 30 miles or 300 miles. You are just closer to home when something goes wrong. WWLD?

I'm thinking it won't be outright dangerous...he really could not be too overloaded unless that 1800 is dry weight. I think the only thing that would go wrong is it will strain the Kia to the point it could cause issues and if that's the case then it would be better to be close to home.

Wow! Thanks Guys! Way to freak a woman out!! ;)

To elaborate: yes, "Trixie's" base vehicle weight is 1560, her GVWR according to the owners manual is 1995. She has a 10 gallon water tank that we will not be traveling full for any reason. Gear inside will include a Coleman Tailgater grill, G&E convection over, coffee maker, kitchen supplies. The van will be me (155lbs), hubby (185lbs), girl child (48lbs), boy child (34lbs) and George the dog (47lbs). Along with our dorm sized fridge, food tote, cooler and clothes drawers ( plastic storage drawers). My, much more experience than I, stepdad went with me when I found the pop-up and he agreed that I should have no issue towing her with my Sedona. Hopefully, he is right or else we wasted about $1800 before I am about to be unemployed!! :o (damn no smilies on the iPad)

We're making our first trip with her Easter weekend about 20 miles north of our home, I'll be back to report If Cupcake would have been right or not! :)

• 3 weeks later...