WDW Installing New Safety Feature on Buses (Updated in Post #10 on 3-4-13)

Disney is currently in the infant stages of installing a new safety feature called S-1 Gard on its bus fleet.

According to a source, a handful of buses have them installed and the cast member bus drivers have been educated on its use.

S-1 Gard is manufactured by Pacific Metal Fab in Eugene, Oregon an distributed by Public Transportation Safety International Corporation in Los Angeles, California (www.s1gard.com).

According to their web site the S-1 Gard Dangerzone Deflector is mounted in front of the dual right-rear wheels of a bus or motor coach. The device deflects a person out of the path of the wheels; preventing major injuries up to and including death.

The S-1 Gard is formed from BASF Polyurethane and can be custom fit to accommodate any bus configuration according to the S1gard site.

That being said, questions regarding potential issues with this device appear to remain unanswered.

What happens when the bus "kneels" to the curb as we so often see WDW buses do prior to boarding passengers? Does the S1 Gard make allowances or have clearance for speed bumps/humps? In an attempt to get those outstanding questions answered, I have contacted the distributer but have been unable to reach the proper personnel to this point.

You may recall a young man was tragically killed in an accident involving a Fort Wilderness bus in 2010. Although Disney was exonerated, this device may be an answer to preventing a repeat of that tragic day.

If this device does prevent serious injuries and deaths as testimonials and studies state, will it become an industry standard?

Several cities around the country, including Washington D.C. and Monticello, California have installed S-1 Gards on their bus fleets.

Now, school bus fleets also have a device at their disposal called the MDZ shield; also sold by Public Transportation Safety International Corporation.

Writer's Note: I have no connection or affiliation with The Walt Disney Corporation, Public Transportation Safety International Corporation, Pacific Metal Fab, or BASF.

So many things can go wrong, considering how many pedestrians walk or stand so close to moving buses.

Are you saying that so many things could go wrong if the device is used or go wrong because of people standing or walking close to moving buses without the device?

Today I received answers to a couple questions I had about the S-1 Gard device and its use on the WDW bus fleet.

Krista Barry, Public Transportation Safety International Director of Business Operations, responded to my questions regarding the ability to "kneel" a bus and how the device handles terrain that includes speed bumps/humps, etc.

Barry responded, "Optimum distance from the bottom of the GARD to the street is 3 to 4". The buses will still kneel when taking a sharp turn, which is one of the reasons we can’t manufacture the GARD at a lower height. The GARD was re-designed and engineered specifically for improved durability, using the same engineering concepts for other heavy duty machinery like a street sweeper. The S-1 GARDs new impact resistant receiver was manufactured for direct impact, so when potentially coming into contact with pot holes, speed bumps, etc., it allows for more lateral movement and acts as a bit of a shock absorber and sustains its durability."

This device appears to be a step in the right direction for pedestrian safety not just at Walt Disney World but also in places where bus fleets consider this additional installed equipment.

Are you saying that so many things could go wrong if the device is used or go wrong because of people standing or walking close to moving buses without the device?

The latter. I always am on high alert at bus stops watching the young ones. They just don't use their minds in the way a competent adult does...constantly scanning for things that can go wrong. Kids are impulsive and reckless. As are a lot of adults, in particular when "under the influence". So many things can go wrong, and I can't imagine the pressure bus drivers are under in that situation. You can't see everything that goes on around a bus.

Today I received answers to a couple questions I had about the S-1 Gard device and its use on the WDW bus fleet.

Great job on this story Aaron. It's a small but significant and important development.

I can't imagine the pressure bus drivers are under in that situation. You can't see everything that goes on around a bus.

Bus drivers have to be extremely cautious when pulling into a bus stop especially when there are little kids standing there and the parents are yakking away or sitting on the bench. You never know if all of sudden they're going to jump out for no reason, which does happen. I've had a few of these incidents that could have ended very badly if I hadn't jammed on the brakes in time.

Don't know if anyone's noticed that within the last year or so, Disney has added a yellow line at every bus stop. No one is supposed to be in front of that line. That simple addition has helped the bus drivers immensely. Now people know that if they're in front of it, most drivers will stop and don't move until the area is clear. People pick up on it pretty quickly when they don't see the bus moving in to pick them up. We use to have an imaginary line in the same location, but people didn't know it, now they do.

I think the possible implementation of this device is a step in the right direction.

I'm surprised that it isn't used on any of the school buses I've seen.