Oh boy, went to the RV show.. In love with a PUP

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For what it's worth, I think all sides of the "debate" have valid points. When we first started looking for a PUP, we found we could get what we wanted new for $12-13K, we could get a slightly used on

For what it's worth, I think all sides of the "debate" have valid points. When we first started looking for a PUP, we found we could get what we wanted new for $12-13K, we could get a slightly used one for a little less, or we could get a crappy, old one cheap. There seemed to be no middle ground. Then we saw we could get an AWESOME Used TT for under $15K, so that's what we did. It was almost new and had retailed a few years before for $27K. There are good deals in used PUPs, but I think they're harder to find than deals in used trailers.

My latest trailer story is why I am an advocate of buying leftover new models. In November 2009 we looked at a Starcraft at a local dealer. Parked right next to it was an Outback, new, full warranty, leftover model. We ended up buying it for 11,000 dollars less than the same model used on the lot. The dealer was taking delivery of new units and wanted to clear his lot, and this was the last leftover he had. This is the situation I was trying to get thru to CakeHenn, apparently unsuccessfully. You can find any piece of crap on Craigslist for 1000 bucks. But if you can buy a used unit out of warranty or a new comparable model for the same money, or slightly more (or in my case much less), why not buy the new unit?

Jim I really appreciate your info!! Thanks!

Side note, I was reading old threads last night becuase I was up with a sick kid and saw you used to work for the VA hospital in Lebanon. My brother's father in law is a pharmacist there. Small world.

This may be a little far for you, but that deal I just told you about I got at Tom Schaeffer's RV in Hamburg, PA. I have bought two trailers there. Another family business. I bought a new pop up there also as a leftover many years ago. About halfway between Allentown and Lebanon.

Hamburg is where Cabelas is. Never too far! At least that way if the dealership would be a flop there is still Cabelas to visit.

When you look at pop ups will they open them for you or is it they have the top of the line one out and just tell you lesser ones won't have xyz as features?

They'll open one if it is closed, but most of the time, unless it is the dead of winter, they have them open. The one we bought at Schaeffers was a display model inside. It was a nice trailer - Damon used to make Camplite popups. This had a small frig and a side bump out for the dinette, so it was an upgrade for us at the time. I just got too old to do the set up, or too lazy, so we traded for the hybrid several years later. My only regret was the popup didn't have AC.

BoatNRV is also near Cabelas, but I don't recommend them. They are okay to look at and get ideas, but I wouldn't buy from them.

My latest trailer story is why I am an advocate of buying leftover new models. In November 2009 we looked at a Starcraft at a local dealer. Parked right next to it was an Outback, new, full warranty, leftover model. We ended up buying it for 11,000 dollars less than the same model used on the lot. The dealer was taking delivery of new units and wanted to clear his lot, and this was the last leftover he had. This is the situation I was trying to get thru to CakeHenn, apparently unsuccessfully. You can find any piece of crap on Craigslist for 1000 bucks. But if you can buy a used unit out of warranty or a new comparable model for the same money, or slightly more (or in my case much less), why not buy the new unit?

That is pretty much what happened when we bought our TT. Oh and we did buy ours in the spring. We were shopping in the spring of 2007 and this dealership just happened to have a 2006 model that had not sold. We bought it for around $13K.

I can understand this but it seems different than you point about the value of them holding up. My only point was RVs, pop ups, or whatever depreciate rapidly after you buy then new....the steepest deprecation happens the first few years and then levels off. I don't think this is groundbreaking news. With this in mind buying a used model that is 3 or 4 years old could amount to paying much much less. Obviously if you want new then go for it. What you did sounds like a great idea if you are buying new and I'd absolutely agree that money can be saved with buying the new "last year" model. It's the similar strategy with cars. Many people do want that very newest one so they have a harder time selling say a 2012 in 2013 but if you like the last year model then yeah you have lots of room to negotiate and clearly you will save money.

• 1 month later...

I've had two pop ups and I loved them both.  My family has great memories of our trips.  As was mentioned before, they are the easiest to tow of any trailer and I kept mine in my garage at home so I did not have storage fees and the things looked like new when I traded them in.  The biggest  advantage to me of the pop up was that I was not sleeping on the ground anymore and I had an A/C.  Setting up and taking down was a chore but I was younger then.  I never fell out of one but I did have an incident where a wind storm picked up one of the beds off its support brackets but I just put them back in place and that was that.  I moved up to a TT because as I got older walking to the outhouse at 4AM lost its appeal and I liked my own Bathroom.  Then one night I had to set up and level the TT in the rain and within 2 years I bought a Class A gasser with a refrigerator, oven and automatic levelers.  That is how this stuff goes.  I encourage you to start your adventure with what ever is easiest for you to get into and let the rest come in time.