I was looking at a hybrid TT tonight, a 2003 Starcraft Antigua.

It says the weight is 3778 pounds.

Is that in the right ballpark for something i could pull with a Chevy Silverado 1500 (4.8 liter V8) 4x4?

Just wondering if this is the kind of tree we ahould be barking up?

We like the hybrids. Thanks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is that at the Lights Motors Action area? Oh darn, wrong thread.

That's pretty light to be anything but the dry weight. There was a sticker inside the frame of the drivers side door of my silverado that had the towing capacities on it. Since that's well within my Dodge's capability, I feel certain it's within yours... Assuming you have the towing package.

My guess is that is well within the limits for any 1/2 ton. Like Brent said, make sure you have a tow package, however.

I'd be checking around the pop out doors like crazy on a ten year old hybrid. I looked at a Starcraft hybrid toy hauler a while back and it was a mess throughout. Have it professionally checked if I was you. Not trying to burst your bubble but hybrids usually have issues. If all checks out I'd look into some good tires as well for both truck and trailer.

GVWR=7000

GAWR=3950 (each front and rear)

Max trailer weight=5500

GCWR=11000

Max Tongue weight with weight carrying hitch=600

Max tongue weight with weight distributing hitch=1100

The window sticker says it has an HD trailering package with locking rear differential and handling/trailering suspension,

Stabilitrak-stability control with trailer sway control and hill start assist

I dont see anythig that specifically says transmission cooler but ot says when you switch to tow/haul mode on the steering column it helps cool the transmission. Is that what youre talking about?

I think most pickups have tranny coolers today. You can check by looking underneath by the regular radiator. There should be a smaller radiator with lines running to the tranny piggybacked onto the front of the regular radiator. Switching to tow mode probably changes shift points, which puts less strain on the tranny, but a tranny cooler will work all the time.

OK, with a max trailer weight of 5500, then subtract from that trailer weight any passengers, anything above 1/2 tank of fuel, and anything you put in the truck. So safely, that drops 1000 lbs from your max trailer weight. So that puts your max trailer weight at 4500. That means at the most, you could only put about 700 pounds of stuff in the trailer.

The dry weight does not include the battery, propane, or water, so you want to run pretty empty on water when you travel. If there are any added accessories, those may not be in the dry weight either. Some trailer companies weigh the trailer as it comes off the line and list that as the dry weight, but many do not.

OK, with a max trailer weight of 5500, then subtract from that trailer weight any passengers, anything above 1/2 tank of fuel, and anything you put in the truck. So safely, that drops 1000 lbs from your max trailer weight. So that puts your max trailer weight at 4500. That means at the most, you could only put about 700 pounds of stuff in the trailer.

The dry weight does not include the battery, propane, or water, so you want to run pretty empty on water when you travel. If there are any added accessories, those may not be in the dry weight either. Some trailer companies weigh the trailer as it comes off the line and list that as the dry weight, but many do not.

Oh, BTW, you have short changed your towing limit with the 4x4. My Sport Trac 2WD with the same engine has a max trailer weight of 7,000 lbs. The extra weight on the vehicle with the 4x4 equipment always lowers the tow limit.

Damn, girl, those are some Larry answers if I have ever heard some.

That is a decent size TT. You will be close or over on the numbers if you pack like my wife packs a camper. I suspect that you will run out of motor pretty quickly at highway speed on hills. You will definitely need to let that 4.8 rev to the moon to keep it moving. Mileage and driver comfort will suffer as a result, but it should move it along.

Oh, BTW, you have short changed your towing limit with the 4x4. My Sport Trac 2WD with the same engine has a max trailer weight of 7,000 lbs. The extra weight on the vehicle with the 4x4 equipment always lowers the tow limit.

According to the owners manuel the 5500 accounts for it being a 4x4 and shows the 2wd version at a higher max.

Are you saying not to trust what the manuel says? Sorry. Clearly I am a novice.

I'd be checking around the pop out doors like crazy on a ten year old hybrid. I looked at a Starcraft hybrid toy hauler a while back and it was a mess throughout. Have it professionally checked if I was you. Not trying to burst your bubble but hybrids usually have issues. If all checks out I'd look into some good tires as well for both truck and trailer.

Thanks for the advice Donnie. I will definitely do that if we seriously consider purchasing. From the answers so far, I am still not sure if I can pull it.

According to the owners manuel the 5500 accounts for it being a 4x4 and shows the 2wd version at a higher max.

Are you saying not to trust what the manuel says? Sorry. Clearly I am a novice.

The owners manual is correct. It was just a side note, that 4x4s generally have lower capacities than the same truck with 2WD.